PDA

View Full Version : Advertising for the Godfather Trilogy

Lord Exar Kun
Oct 5th, 2001, 02:16:38 PM
Alright, let me pose this question to everyone.
Isn't it stupid for the producers of the Godfather DVD's to be advertising that these are "The Most Anticipated DVD's ever." and "The Most Wanted DVD release ever.", when every time I go to Amazon.com, and scroll down the towards the bottom and look at the top ten requested DVD's, the top five usually are:
Star Wars
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Just out of curiousity, who is the world is anticipating these DVD's so bad that somehow the ranking is not even getting on the top ten of Amazon.com.

I have seen the first two Godfather films and enjoyed them immensely, but either the Star Wars Trilogy or the Indiana Jones trilogy rank much higher on MY want list than the Godfather.

Any opinions?

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2001, 02:26:22 PM
Well, the Godfather films are some of the greatest movies ever made. Godfather II is the only sequel to ever duplicate the success of the original by winning a best picture Oscar. The first two films are also great "guy" films. From watching Sonny get nailed at the toll booth to Michael giving Fredo the kiss of death, there's just one classic moment after another. It's the kind of movie that gets quoted and referred to in other movies. But that 3rd one was so far beneath the others in quality, impact, and staying power that I could easily do without a Godfather III in my collection. I wouldn't say that the Godfather trilogy is the MOST anticipated DVD set ever. What I would say is that Godfather I&II are two of the best films ever made and great addtions to any collection. I'd put them ahead of Indy, but behind SW on my must have list. But even then, I'd take ANY Indy film over Godfather III. That's by far the most dissapointing Lucas or Coppola sequel ever.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 5th, 2001, 02:30:24 PM
I think Paramount just wants to hype it up to try to get people to buy it. I agree its not the movies that everybody wants but they are up there maybe third on the list or so, I guess its also just prespective there are a lot of people who probably want these movies.

Mu Satach
Oct 5th, 2001, 04:56:19 PM
It's hype. Granted I'd love to get it, (especially for the Coppela commentaries.) but that comercial is all hype.

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2001, 08:03:24 PM
They had to come up with some tag line for the ad campaign. Speaking of DVD trilogies, I'd love to get my hands on the Die Hard trilogy. That looks like a great set! I've seen it at WalMart for $60. Has anybody seen it yet?

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2001, 12:37:22 AM
I wanted to buy the whole thing but just didn't have the money at the time :/ I did buy the first one and it is awesome, one of the better DVD's out there. Hopefully they will/or already are selling the others individully so I can buy them too. I really want to see the alternate ending to Die Hard with a Vengence.

JMK
Oct 6th, 2001, 08:44:02 AM
The Die Hard DVD trilogy is really cool. I bought it the first day it came out, I haven't fully explored the extras, but what I have seen is very cool.

foxdvd
Oct 6th, 2001, 02:24:42 PM
Yes, the Die Hard dvds are great....I bought the first set a long time ago, and I bought the new set because they are that much better.

Outside the Star Wars movies, I would say the Godfather movies are the ones I want the most.

foxdvd
Oct 6th, 2001, 02:30:03 PM
Also, I think Godfather is not on that list at amazon because it is coming out..and that list is for movies that have no release dates yet. A while back, I think Godfather was in the top 3 all the time.

Also, just look how much that box set is selling at amazon.com alone. Right now it is about the 50,000 pre-orders mark. If I am not mistaken, that is how much the VHS of TPM had pre-sold at amazon.com when it came out..and this is a 70 dollar box set.

Darth23
Oct 6th, 2001, 04:34:42 PM
According to Amazon, there have been 41,882 pre-orders for the Godfather Trilogy, which is 3,000 less that where TPM was at last weekend.

Jedieb
Oct 6th, 2001, 05:00:33 PM
That's a pretty impressive number for such an expensive set. I would think amazon lost many TPM orders to online competitors and cheap retailers. Their TPM price will probably be higher than TArget or WalMart's, but their Godfather price may actually be a bargain.

foxdvd
Oct 6th, 2001, 08:33:53 PM
According to Amazon, there have been 41,882 pre-orders for the Godfather Trilogy, which is 3,000 less that where TPM was at last weekend.

Yes, that is amazing for a box set that cost so much. I would expect it to go past the 55,000 mark by the end of this weekend...

Lord Exar Kun
Oct 6th, 2001, 10:06:18 PM
I remember chcking Amazon.com later that day when TPM was finally officially announced for DVD release and was already the # 1 pre-sale movie on the list, and if I recall correctly, was so for about two weeks after that.

Also, anyone interested, my brother works at a Best Buy and claims that within the next six weeks, there is going to be a sale on the Die Hard DVD set for either $39.99 or $44.99.

I already picked up the set and I think it is the best set of DVD's I have to date.
I have not even made it through all the extra's in the original Die Hard, much less the alternate ending of "With a Vengeance."

JonathanLB
Oct 9th, 2001, 04:11:57 AM
I've never seen any of the Godfather films yet, but why is Godfather III always criticized so much when the film DID receive a BEST PICTURE nomination and a ton of other noms? I don't get it. I mean clearly it must have been well received and it seems to have done well, so why does everyone seem to hate it?

I've never heard of a hated film getting a Best Picture and Best Director nomination...

7.0 / 10 on IMDB is really pretty good for their site, too. So what gives? Everyone I talk to says Godfather III blows chunks, but it seems to have been quite well received...

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2001, 12:05:39 PM
I thought the movie was good it was far from the best though. I think it the film has two problems. First I think there is like 10 years or something seperating II and III so like TPM I think people may have been expecting too much from it. Second Coppola made a huge mistake in casting his daughter in the important role of Michael's daughter. She had not done any major acting and it showed. Her performanced hinder the film because she was such a bad actress. What saved the film was the performances by Al Pacino (does he ever give a bad performance) and Andy Garcia who did a great job IMO.

Mu Satach
Oct 9th, 2001, 05:31:57 PM
My favorite line from Godfather III,

"Everytime I think I'm out, they pull me back in!" has a personal significange to me. :)

My fave scene is on the steps outside the opera house. That scene tears my heart out everytime.... but aye... III is not as well paced and pulled together as II and I. There was just something about how the tension and action was built in the previous 2.

Darth23
Oct 9th, 2001, 11:21:55 PM
I've never seen any of the Godfather films yet,

:: falls to the ground in stunned silence ::

:p

Even on tv with commercials the first two are great. The third one didn't have anything like the same feel to me. Plus Sofia really shouldn't have been in that role. I know it's a cliche to bash her acting, but I didn't really understand what people were on about until I saw the movie.

Mu Satach
Oct 9th, 2001, 11:39:44 PM
Most *horrible* scene in III

Andy Garcia and Sophia in the Kitchen.

:x >_< :x

foxdvd
Oct 9th, 2001, 11:40:47 PM
GF3 is a movie that is just above average, a good movie, that would have no power at all if not for the first 2 movies. It gains a lot of impact from what was set up in the first 2 movies, and without those, it would actually be just an average movie. It is not the first, nor will it be the last movie to get an Oscar nomination and not deserve it...

The first two movies belong on anyones top 100 list. The third movie is not even close.

Jedieb
Oct 10th, 2001, 11:31:25 AM
It got an Oscar nomination? I didn't remember that. I'm shocked it was even acknowledged by the Academy. I could understand acting nominations, but not a best pic or best director nod.

Mu Satach
Oct 10th, 2001, 01:28:28 PM
Yep, III got nominated for...
*drum roll*

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Andy Garcia

Best Art Direction-Set Decoration
Gary Fettis
Dean Tavoularis

Best Cinematography
Gordon Willis
Best Director
Francis Ford Coppola

Best Film Editing
Lisa Fruchtman
Barry Malkin
Walter Murch

Best Music, Song
John Bettis (lyrics)
Carmine Coppola (music)
- For the song "Promise Me You'll Remember".

Best Picture
Francis Ford Coppola

Honestly though, the only one's I agree with are the cinematography and best supporting actor.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2001, 02:11:06 PM
did Pacino not get an Oscar nod? I was thinking he did of course he has gotten so many Oscar nominations I could have just assumed he did.

Mu Satach
Oct 10th, 2001, 06:24:34 PM
Nope... I seem to remember some flak about that too... Pacino got nominated for best actor in the Golden Globes for III but not the Oscar.

JonathanLB
Oct 10th, 2001, 08:25:12 PM
Darth, hehe, I know I should have seen the Godfather films. Talk about not being up to date, haha. They are some of the most popular films ever, at least one and two, and I've still not seen them. Give me time, though, I'll get around to it :)

*here is when Fox gives me a hard time and says I should see Das Boot*

Ok, ok Fox, but right now I'm still too busy!!! AHHHH!! :)

foxdvd
Oct 11th, 2001, 01:00:30 AM
Jon...the one thing about you I can never forgive is your lack of Das Boot.