PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Cloaking Devices

Captain Joachim Fena
Oct 4th, 2001, 06:42:29 PM
I am well aware of bindings of Star Wars cloaking technology. It is incredibly power intensive, disables the use of shields and weapons while in use. Also prevents sensor sweeps, transmissions, or even visual confirmations outside of the field.

However...I was wondering if it would be feasible to create a cloaking screen.

This would be different from a true cloaking device, as its coverage would not be 360 degrees and 3 dimensions. It would be a two-dimensional screen projected in a particular direction...say, directly in front of the ship. It wouldn't have the ability to cloak a ship completely, but it could hide the vessel from a certain angle...like putting a curtain in front of something...you can still walk around to the side and see it.

While its got more downsides than a normal cloak in that aspect, since the field is generated over a limited span, it would have the advantage of...being able to launch a linked probe...almost like a "periscope".

Just kinda throwing the idea out there :)

Force Master Hunter
Oct 4th, 2001, 07:09:30 PM
Well, there is sensor stealth technology, that attempts to blind sensors.

Where a cloaking shiled differs is it's ability to affect direct vision. I dont think it's possible, but it's certainly an interesting idea.

Captain Joachim Fena
Oct 4th, 2001, 07:12:24 PM
Fett just informed me that a similar screen was used in Solo command :D

(does dance of joy)

Woohoo...time to do a little R&D

ReaperFett
Oct 4th, 2001, 07:23:08 PM
Allston rules :)

Captain Joachim Fena
Oct 4th, 2001, 07:25:07 PM
(Imagines a Kuat listening post suddenly losing track of a VSD...and the guy on the subspace sonar swearing he heard Russian singing ;))

Jehova Eaven
Oct 4th, 2001, 07:38:56 PM
wah! Mr. Connery!

Captain Joachim Fena
Oct 4th, 2001, 07:46:40 PM
Yes? :cat

Traest Kre'fey
Oct 4th, 2001, 08:08:21 PM
I need W-wing technology and then I will be able to design a great frigate.. heheheh.

Jehova Eaven
Oct 4th, 2001, 08:57:06 PM
Connery is way cool, I want Megaman X technology. Why you ask? Becuase I want to make armor that takes already 90% damage, then I find a capsule that that adds 50% on top of that 90% so that way I should technically take no damage.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 5th, 2001, 03:23:42 AM
Um...wha-?

Traest Kre'fey
Oct 5th, 2001, 05:36:06 AM
Okay. I'll just launch you into space..

Lord Gue
Oct 5th, 2001, 07:51:26 AM
thats kinda like my holoship idea, building a ship that could throw out holographic images of real ships to confuse the enemy

Captain Joachim Fena
Oct 5th, 2001, 07:55:55 AM
kind of, but...not :lol

Lord Gue
Oct 5th, 2001, 08:05:28 AM
lol, im just saying, mine worked out so it sounds like yours would to. Sounds like you have a good idea with good strategic implications

Varlon Konrad
Oct 5th, 2001, 08:17:01 PM
The only consistant representation of Star Wars cloak that I've seen is that the ship with the cloak's sensors is disabled while the ship searching is also blind to the ship under cloak. The cloaked ship may, however, attempt to fire blindly or fire with the use of guidance information sent to it via scouting fighter(s) and/or probes. No where has any mention of them being so intensive that they disable shields and weaponry to my knowledge.

Lord Gue
Oct 5th, 2001, 08:22:37 PM
well, the books ive read and pages ive seen say that the shields go down when cloak goes up

Jehova Eaven
Oct 5th, 2001, 08:55:31 PM
Or as my friend would say, "Another cowardly tactic!"

Morgan Evanar
Oct 5th, 2001, 09:17:49 PM
Does this friend also say "PAH! What imbiciles!" ?

Captain Joachim Fena
Oct 5th, 2001, 09:26:09 PM
Hmm...I will compromise on that and say that weapons can be fired with the field active then :)

(Approaches Jehova from 7 O'clock low...slow and steady)

Dos V'danya!

(fires torpedoes at close range)

Jehova Eaven
Oct 6th, 2001, 08:36:19 AM
Wah! Damn I haven't seen Red October in such a long time.... ::Turns off the screw and turns on the silent propeller type thing:: Fire chaft!

heh heh, well Morgan, hes red headed and goes psh a lot.

ReaperFett
Oct 6th, 2001, 08:56:04 AM
CHeck your PMs Fena