PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Lee

Vega Van-Derveld
Oct 3rd, 2001, 02:36:17 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows any good Bruce Lee sites with pictures/screen caps of him in his various movies? I'd really appreciate any links anyone could give me. :)

Force Master Hunter
Oct 3rd, 2001, 05:55:36 PM
I'm not sure. I have looked before, but failed to find anything really, really good.

Gav Mortis
Oct 3rd, 2001, 06:09:21 PM
I wonder who's been watching the Bruce Lee omnibus tonight on TV? :)

Admiral Lebron
Oct 3rd, 2001, 06:31:56 PM
<-- can do Bruce Lee moves.

ReaperFett
Oct 3rd, 2001, 06:38:54 PM
form a circle, one by one attack the main part? :)

Enter the Dragon ruled :)

Force Master Hunter
Oct 3rd, 2001, 06:54:47 PM
Fist of Fury is debateably better

Admiral Lebron
Oct 3rd, 2001, 07:04:50 PM
Enter the Dragon is best.

Actually, What Bruce did was an intergratted form of Kung Fu. Most likely Iron Monk style most likely. It has the fast quick movement of the Southern Styles, but the long graceful moves of the North sytle.

Targon Nadd
Oct 4th, 2001, 05:04:02 AM
Actually Bruce Lee's style was that of no style. This is why he created it. Free form, he felt, made his style better. Not returning to a secured stance left him more room to maneuver.

keep your sig down to 30 k =)

Force Master Hunter
Oct 4th, 2001, 07:19:05 AM
That's quite correct. He believed himself to be fettered if he stayed to a style.

One of hte things that some may not realise is that the fights in his movies were not staged. They didnt pull punches. The best example of this was Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris, lasted 10 minutes and was brutal and for real. Can you believe Norris could have once fought so well, he could hold his own against Lee?

One of the reasons Lee and Norris fought as they did wa that they spoke for the new form of Kung - Fu sparring, being full contact. No points or such, full on until someone couldnt fight back. They bought this inot America, Bob Wall was another proponent. Most Masters thought this form of conatact fighting was without purpose or true skill.

As good as Lee was, there were better. There was a story I heard once, where Lee challenged a Tai Chi Master and was beaten with one strike. Of the martial arts, Tai Chi is actually one of the more powerful ones

Vega Van-Derveld
Oct 4th, 2001, 01:38:16 PM
I wonder who's been watching the Bruce Lee omnibus tonight on TV?

Not me :p I was just looking for some pictures for my art GCSE coursework.

Anyway, if you do think of any, PLEASE drop me a line or something. :D

Nuriko Sha
Oct 4th, 2001, 03:01:36 PM
Everytime I'm looking for images I try the Google Image search. http://www.google.com/

Or if you're looking for a pic of celeb such as our friend Brucey, maybe they'll be something at the Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/

ReaperFett
Oct 4th, 2001, 03:05:22 PM
Nuri! Dont tell them bout the imdb! Its cool to be one of the few to get trivial stuff :)

Side note: Hunt down the Oceans 11 and Enigma trailers. Both look class

Traest Kre'fey
Oct 4th, 2001, 06:32:07 PM
Tai Chi is great! Especially when done fast..

Gav Mortis
Oct 4th, 2001, 06:47:01 PM
Fast? I've never done it fast before - I thought the point of Tai Chi was so that it was done slow as it takes more skill to do it slowly.

Traest Kre'fey
Oct 4th, 2001, 06:54:18 PM
It is, but in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, they did Tai Chi fast.
Also, where do you think Bruce Lee came up with his forms of Kung Fu. Do you think he just made them up?

ReaperFett
Oct 4th, 2001, 06:56:49 PM
Yes. How do you think I created Squatting Hamster? :)

Force Master Hunter
Oct 4th, 2001, 07:18:23 PM
Tai Chi is practiced slow, to gain control over the body and mind. It's actually quite hard to do properly slow and requires a surprising degree of fitness.

Tai Chi is basically directing flows of energy. In the first fight in CTHD, Yeoh can be seen using the "sticky hands" technique to over power her opponent, by directing the opponents power straight back at them. Tai Chi uses natural movements, to harness these energy flows as they call them.

Thence, if you strike at the old geezer doing Tai Chi in the park, dont whine when you effective get hit with your own kinetic energy. The Tai Chi master will cause the flwo of energy (say from a punch) to be used and add his own energy.

In other words, the more power you hit with, the more you get back in return.

Jehova Eaven
Oct 4th, 2001, 07:42:13 PM
People say Tai Chi is for old people, let me tell you something. Those old people will kick your arse. I practice Bakuwa and a little Tai-Chi. I want to learn Shing Ying though.

Captain Joachim Fena
Oct 4th, 2001, 07:45:30 PM
Bah...they are nothing compared to Shingan Ninjitsu. As somebody who has seen both...Shingan is eeebil.

Traest Kre'fey
Oct 4th, 2001, 08:11:23 PM
I practice alot of different stuff. Mainly Iron Monk Kung Fu, but with a little Tae Kwan Do and Tang Soo Do, thrown in from when I was younger. I am looking for a good Jiu Jitsu school. Perferably if they teach Brazillian style.

Darth Turbogeek
Oct 4th, 2001, 08:30:27 PM
Have a look at genuine Tai Chi Masters, then reanswer that question Fena. The point about Tai Chi is to reflect the opponents strike right back athen. Defensive in nature it is and in the purest sense, one of the older and more developed arts.

I am one rank below full black in Budokan Karate. Fun, but I know I would prefer Tai Chi anyday.

I also have weapons preference. I still practice with a Bo and twin stick. Bith are effective against just about all other weapons and persons.

Jehova Eaven
Oct 4th, 2001, 08:46:11 PM
heh heh nerds and geeks learn martial arts. Then theres the ghetto style, wich is fight without defense and miss a lot. Damn idiots in school.

Darth Turbogeek
Oct 4th, 2001, 08:47:52 PM
Last time I looked, there were very few nerds in Martial arts, especially ones that go the distance to high rank

Jehova Eaven
Oct 4th, 2001, 08:52:21 PM
I call anyone that knows how to read a nerd or a geek. So don't take it personal. Also, in the classes that I've been in, all that were there are little kids, they usually don't last, and theres mostly geeks.

Traest Kre'fey
Oct 4th, 2001, 08:55:52 PM
Heh. Ghetto Style: Bash Hard and don't get bashed back.

I laugh at you DT! With your bo! HA! Can't beat my Chinese Long sword or my double saber! Heheheheh. Double saber kicks butt. To bad I am just learning it.

Jehova Eaven
Oct 4th, 2001, 08:59:36 PM
Nodachi baby.

Jehova Eaven
Oct 4th, 2001, 09:02:01 PM
Can't edit... OK, also the Bakuwa signature weapons, I forgot what they are called right now. But they are short range, ultra sharp. they fit the edges of your hands. Damn I wish I could draw it and scan it, but am too lazy.....

Captain Joachim Fena
Oct 4th, 2001, 09:33:48 PM
I've been through enough of Shen Lung to know of Kung Fu elements...and why Ninjitsu smashes the uber-crap out of them.

Ask Akrabbim...he's insane.

Darth Turbogeek
Oct 4th, 2001, 11:28:24 PM
I laugh at you DT! With your bo! HA! Can't beat my Chinese Long sword or my double saber! Heheheheh. Double saber kicks butt. To bad I am just learning it

You wont laugh after I disarm you with a fairly simple flick. With a far greater reach as well. The techniques used with a bo are designed to wreck havoc on Samurai and other edged weapon users and there are moves that simply cant be replicated with a sword. What I would need to do is to make sure you cant use the edge against the bo and frankly, your sunk. That isnt hard to set up, you dont sweep attack, you poke. It forces the sword user to use his weapon more like a club and with the lighter and smaller Eastern swords, that nullifyes them.

Interestingly, Western broadswords are exactly that - clubs. They are big and heavy, and in the main, bludgeon an enemy. Generally, the best type of swords IMO is the Claymore. Nice size and weight, balance between strength and speed. The sword Yeoh uses in the final fight in CTHD is a claymore in size. A really, really, nice size and design

An untrained person in twin sword is more dangerous to themselves, if they dont understand the real way to use twin blades. That's why I like twin stick, understanding how to use this to your advantage would mean a decent twin stick user would have a sword user disarmed in seconds. There's a particular strike, one near the hilt, followed by one to the top of the blade, that woud snap the blade, or send it flying. Twin swords cant really do this, the balance and attack angles are wrong. What you might see instead is a sword and a "grapple". A grapple is good for secondry defence, pulling shields away, melee and disarm.

Traest Kre'fey
Oct 5th, 2001, 05:42:30 AM
You'd be supprised how easy it is to control the long sword. That and the style I am teached, was meant for peasents in ancient China, so theoreticlly, I could take any thing and use it as a weapon. But, we have a staff, which is just as effective as your bo. Besides, I am halfway through my first Kata with the Double saber. Anyways, Karate teaches lot of powerful moves. Nothing as graceful as a grab-pull back, hammer blow on t he upper chest, then a backfist to there face. Hooray for North Style!

Captain Joachim Fena
Oct 5th, 2001, 05:51:58 AM
Blarg on Karate...Kung Fu owns it.

But then again...blarg on Kung Fu...Shingan Ninjitsu owns it as well.

Of all the utterly evil martial arts, Shingan is definitely it. I'd take it, but 50 bucks a month is out of my range. Thats how much I spend on food!

Akrabbim is and ebil, ebil man....and if I ever fight him...I'm going to run him over with my truck...cause I don't trust any other way.

ReaperFett
Oct 5th, 2001, 06:22:50 AM
at range with a handgun is a far better style :)

Captain Joachim Fena
Oct 5th, 2001, 06:25:40 AM
...and Shingan Ninjitsu teaches firearm combat, too.

Traest Kre'fey
Oct 5th, 2001, 01:43:29 PM
I had heard that. I also heard some other form, Pien Shu or something like that teaches a Kata with the gun. Weird.

Miryan no Trunks
Oct 5th, 2001, 04:03:34 PM
Doesn't that kindof totally go against the whole "martial arts" bit? Learning how to use your body as a lethal weapon doesn't really leave much room for point and click, IMO..

Force Master Hunter
Oct 5th, 2001, 08:45:55 PM
Learning how to use your body as a lethal weapon doesn't really leave much room for point and click, IMO..

IROTFLMAO!!

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Oct 5th, 2001, 09:28:41 PM
IROTFLMAO!!

??

wonders what the I is for O_o

Captain Joachim Fena
Oct 5th, 2001, 09:31:29 PM
I'm?

Admiral Lebron
Oct 5th, 2001, 10:44:26 PM
I dunno. Beats me I just heard about it from my master who was laughing his head off about it.