PDA

View Full Version : May the Force be with us....

Starquest aka AndyR
Oct 3rd, 2001, 12:43:37 PM
But which force??

I found this on the official site under the obi-wan databank entry. It mentions TWO different types of the force....

This was just one of many disagreements that Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn had during their time together. Jinn, a proponent of the living Force over the more serene unifying Force, had long been a maverick in the eyes of the Jedi Council. Obi-Wan implored his master not to go against the Council, but Qui-Gon always responded by saying that he must do as the will of the Force advises.

So what do you think of that? The living force must be the Midichlorians, and the unifying force must be the mystical aspect that we know and love in the OT.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 3rd, 2001, 01:23:28 PM
I think it is an argument vs mystical vs scientific but I am not sure which one is which. I thouhgt I read somewhere that those who followed the living force believed the force was a supreme being while those who followed the unyfing force did not but I read that article a long time ago and I am not I cannot remember what else it said or if I just mixed up what it said.

JMK
Oct 3rd, 2001, 06:06:42 PM
Whatever Obi Wan believes at the time of TPM, he definetly changes his tune by ANH; "The force is an energy field created by all living things...."

Jedieb
Oct 3rd, 2001, 09:12:50 PM
I never really cared for that "livng force" line. I like my Force talk delivered the old fashioned way, by a muppet!

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere. Yes, even between the land and the ship."

That's a lot cooler than:
"Lift the ship I can, because many midichlorians have I!" Okay, maybe I'm nitpicking. ;)

BUFFJEDI
Oct 3rd, 2001, 10:24:46 PM
:lol

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 4th, 2001, 01:18:34 AM
As I started to think about it I think I complicated the issue. THe living Force is really probably just using the force in the present vs the Unifying force which deals with the it more in the future. I'm taking this from Qui-Gon's words in the beginning of TPM. I'm kind of surprised Doc hasn't answered this question he is the best one here at these kind of things.