PDA

View Full Version : Why no SSD's?

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Oct 2nd, 2001, 05:23:22 PM
Why are 12.8KM SSD's not allowed?
They are just larger ISD's with more guns/space for fighters, walkers, etc.
Right?

Mortaniuss
Oct 2nd, 2001, 05:41:48 PM
I'm sure you could have asked this in your other topic instead.

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Oct 2nd, 2001, 06:15:24 PM
Ya.

Jehova Eaven
Oct 2nd, 2001, 06:20:22 PM
TV is building an SSD, and no one can stop us unless they give me a good explanation about why not.

Mortaniuss
Oct 2nd, 2001, 06:51:03 PM
Originally posted by Jehova Eaven
TV is building an SSD, and no one can stop us unless they give me a good explanation about why not. If it's against the rules, then that sounds like a damned good reason to me. However, I'm not up-to-date on the current fleet rules, so I'm not sure whether or not it is.

Mortaniuss
Oct 2nd, 2001, 06:54:30 PM
From the link Yog posted:
No superlaser-wielding ships allowed (i.e. NSD's ASD's etc. are out). If you wish to have a starship with an onboard superlaser, you must RP it, and there will be a 90 day construction period. No ships bigger than an SSD unless you RP it and wait 90 days. Each 90-day project uses 1 shipyard for those 90 days, so you cannot use it that 1 shipyard to build anything else during that time.From my understanding of that (which very well may be incorrect), you'll need to RP out the construction of it, and it will take the full use of one shipyard for 90 days.

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

Jehova Eaven
Oct 2nd, 2001, 07:03:34 PM
actually, thats if its no bigger than a SSD, as in bigger than a SSD, not a SSD. So we're building a SSD for 30 days. Then it shall be completed. There is nothing in the rules that say SSD's are illegal and theres nothing that says that we have to rp it.

Yoghurt
Oct 2nd, 2001, 07:07:41 PM
That is correct. You can build larger than that, but you need to roleplay it out for 90 days, occupying one of your shipyards.

The 90 day rule is there for fleet balance, because earlier, fleets tended to be heavy on the larger ships, and lacking on the smaller ships. People should keep in mind, SSD's are more command ships rather than ships used for battle. Personally, I would prefer a few SD's any day. It gives you much better tactical versatility.

Mortaniuss
Oct 2nd, 2001, 07:23:39 PM
My apologies: I mistakenly thought SSD's had an onboard Superlaser.

Yoghurt
Oct 2nd, 2001, 07:27:51 PM
Oh, about that 12,8 km thing.

You see, there are quite a few SSD's scattered around the groups. It would be very confusing keeping track of the groups fleet resources if some were using SSDs at 2,5 km and others at 17,6 km. That is why standard size is 12.5 km.

Force Master Hunter
Oct 2nd, 2001, 07:35:05 PM
Actually, I can think of a really good reason why an SSD is not allowable for TV

Consider this :-

a) How do you finance i?
b) How do you crew it?
c) How do you resource it?

The current major fleet groups have quite large setups and I would have little problem believing say a NR or TSE could support a SSD. A small group however? Not a chance. It defys common sense a small group with no real support from say the Imperials or the Republic could even contemplate a Star Destroyer, let alone A SSD. Think about the resources you need for that. The Empire in it's heyday could hardly support building a Death Star and look how big it was.

You dont have the credits or manpower. It is within the rules to build said ship, but we also apply common sense and fair play here.

But before a definitive answer, please answer the above three points

TheHolo.Net
Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:05:11 PM
A small detail Yog didn't mention about building ships larger than SSDs: The 90 day RP to construct them, must take place in an open thread here on SWFans.

Jehova Eaven
Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:18:17 PM
I'll let Jes answer those things. As for the financing, and resources, and everything. It shall all be placed in the construction thread, as soon as he and I feel like editing our placemark post.

Admiral Lebron
Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:22:56 PM
And that is why, the Remnant has plans, to build 4 ships bigger then 7,000 meters in the upcoming months, because we just increased our planetary roster and resources.

Another thing, I can overpower an SSD with my swarms of tiny 100 meter gunships, why? Because, they are small, and numerous, giving me Options. Instead of one big piece of metal to shoot at. So, SSDs bad. Frigates good.

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:24:50 PM
So it is ok to build SSD's.
I just want to make 6 SSD's, 1 for each of the Fleets that will make up the Armada of the TGVC, each fleet possesing:
1 SSD
3 ISD's
3 Carrak-Class Criusers
3 Interdictor-Class Criusers
3 Lanser-Class Frigates
As many TIE-X fighters as they can hold.
That brings me to another point.
I want to make a new form of TIE, a kind of Interceptor/X-Wing Hybrid.
How would I go about doing that?

TheHolo.Net
Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:26:47 PM
Mhalbrecht Dalarsco

You have failed to answer the questions that FMH posed. I do believe you were who he was directing the queries to.

TGVC has yet to become a recognized group and any construction that occurs before that happens is invalid.

Admiral Lebron

Is it really very wise to boast about your strategies where every one can see and learn them? :p

Admiral Lebron
Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:32:52 PM
Holy crap! Your fleets suck. More smaller ships, like gunships and frieghters and frigates.

As for desgining stuff, join LebronCorp. Or, you just post in in a forum on your board, giving all the specs of it, be reasonable (Or Prent will get you!) And give it a reasonable date. My date list is:

2000 meters + : 40 days
1000-2000 meters : 30 days
0-1000 meters: 20 days
Mines/Missles: 5-10 days
Upgrades on prototype designs or single model: 1-5 days.

If it is a new model of it,like a beta version, I subtract 5 days. If it is involving new tech, I add 5.

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:33:19 PM
The questions were directed at Jehova, and I'm planning for when I have enough members.

Admiral Lebron
Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:38:09 PM
It's quite obvious. Besides, everyone is always checking me, making sure I don't cheat, because of my some fleet changes.
But hey, if you want me to play fair, I'll gladly go back to the ESDs and NSD's I left behind.

Jehova Eaven
Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:38:49 PM
Yes, and I answered. We have all the answers and plans, we've been planning for about 2 months. We have all of that, in fact... the control thing was the first decision we had to face, then the monetery things which we had found a way to get.

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:39:56 PM
<Philosophical>A swarm of gnats keeps you from the tree.</Philisophical>
That means, with enough fighters, I can keep the enemy away from my capital ships.
And, with the numbers, multiply by 6 for the Armada.
That gives:
6 SSD's
18 ISD's
18 Carrak-Class Cruisers
18 Lancer-Class Frigates
18 Interdictor-Class Cruisers
A hell of a lot of Tie-X models.

Force Master Hunter
Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:40:12 PM
OMG, how the HELL can you justify all that with no planets or such backup?????

I'll make this blunt. If you dont show how you can support it, it's called a God Mode.

Admiral Lebron
Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:40:19 PM
<-- is building SSD's at a discount price for the next two minutes, His time. ..................

<-- moves the clock up on his computer three minutes.

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:44:39 PM
Those ships will come eventualy.
I was saying what my goal for the eventual TGVC Armada will be.
Not what exists now. ( Empty space around a small planet in the unknown regions.)

Admiral Lebron
Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:48:39 PM
6 SSDs... hmm.. that'll be accomplished in about a year for you!

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:57:15 PM
Actualy, it will take 156.25 days.
And Yog, I think GJO only gets a single shipyard because because they are extremely close to the NR.

Admiral Lebron
Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:58:53 PM
Meh, not to mention capturing the planets, and getting members and getting the yards.

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:04:11 PM
Yes, not counting those things.
How long does it take to make a shipyard anyway?

Admiral Lebron
Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:06:48 PM
For you, 100 days.

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:08:48 PM
I mean, once you have the members, hoe long does it take to make a shipyard.

Jehova Eaven
Oct 3rd, 2001, 03:13:27 PM
It takes 40 days OOC.

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Oct 3rd, 2001, 05:04:02 PM
k