PDA

View Full Version : Search function at top

Champion of the Force
Sep 27th, 2001, 05:46:46 PM
At first I thought it was pretty cool :), but after checking out the proper one via the 'Search' button (which is more advanced in its searching) I was wondering if it was necessary?

With it up the top and readily available some posters may then miss the more advanced search feature just above it. :\

TheHolo.Net
Sep 27th, 2001, 07:04:53 PM
We all know how inherently lazy web surfers are right? I realize that the search feature is a “Simple” one compared to the built in one, but it is also very convenient and one of the first things people will see. I have tested it on many things and it appears to function quite well for as basic as it is.

I am of the mindset that I believe such a convenient feature may make new visitors(looking for something in particular) comfortable and pleased, as I know when I go to large web sites, one of the first things I do many rimes is look for a search feature, and simplicity fits well with the natural laziness of most web surfers.

A new user may not understand all the options present in the advanced search.

I really like the feature and if there is concern about it completely replacing the other search, maybe we could add something to the announcement FAQ as well as the General FAQ. I may also even be able to add some ALT text to the go button that describes more clearly what it is.

Champion of the Force
Sep 27th, 2001, 07:13:29 PM
I suppose that's why we have a little login field - posters are too lazy to hit the 'User cp' button. :lol

Perhaps we can put an 'Advanced Search' button next to it (replacing the 'Search' button up the top) which when clicked takes them to the advanced search screen - so people are aware of the advanced search feature there.