PDA

View Full Version : The Others = Mini-Sixth Sense

JonathanLB
Sep 26th, 2001, 05:49:58 AM
The Others is totally like a mini-Sixth Sense. First, it is even similar in terms of plot and story as far as having a plot twist, being a thriller/horror type movie and all that good stuff.

Next, of course, it was released at the same time of the year, roughly. Then, most obviously, it has performed much like TSS with low declines (or even increases!) and great staying power.

The movie's domestic rights were acquired extremely cheaply, roughly $7.5 million I thought I heard, so that makes for a massive success.

Sometimes I wonder why they bother with $100 million blockbusters when almost every lousy movie that opened in August still is going to be profitable because they all were dirt cheap. You cannot lose with $5 to $10 million films. I mean, it's nearly impossible not to make money. lol.

Did anyone actually see The Others? I did... I thought it was very well done. My best friend absolutely loved it.

Darth23
Sep 26th, 2001, 03:05:21 PM
The studios are all looking for the next Big Movie Franchise, or the next Titanic (PH). I think we'd be better off if there were LESS ultra gigantic special effects 'n explosions extravaganzas made. Then the studios could make more smaller pictures and who knows, maybe even make BETTER movies or more original movies.

That doesn't seem to be the way things are structured now, though. There's going to be a year when several sure fire hits will fail to produce, with maybe even a major flop or two, I think.

----

The Other's is doing really well, especially considering how slow it started. I think the mini Sixth Sense thing is pretty accurate.

ReaperFett
Sep 26th, 2001, 03:12:25 PM
No way! I don't go to the cinema for a conversation-fest. I go for ACTION! Guns! Explosions! I love it! We need more!

And also, when a real classic appears, we appreciate it more.

Darth23
Sep 26th, 2001, 11:08:31 PM
There's all kinds of thing you can do without blowing stuff up.