PDA

View Full Version : OT - DVD Recommendations

Jedieb
Sep 25th, 2001, 07:05:10 AM
I just picked up a DVD player over the weekend. The wife and I rented 13 Days (hers) and CTHD (his). 13 Days was great. I won't have the time to see CTHD until manana. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not so much interested in catching up on movies I haven't seen as I am in seeing DVD's with great extras. I'm looking forward to breaking in my player before the EP1 DVD arrives in the mail. I'll probably rent Dogma later this week and my Simpsons Season 1 DVD should hit my mailbox this week. So, any recommendations?

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 25th, 2001, 07:22:12 AM
Fight Club has a lot of extras. Another movie that I liked on DVD is ID4, there are a lot of cool things on that. A few others I can think of Superman, Gladiator, Ghostbusters, and The Patriot. Silence of the Lambs is suppose to have 7 minutes of new footage but I haven't picked it up yet so I have no clue what it might be. Has anybody seen it?

JMK
Sep 25th, 2001, 07:37:00 AM
Terminator 2 special edition is great as well. Ronin has a great director commentary. And Snatch has a lot of cool features as well.

And if I may pitch in my 2 cents, watching U-571 and The Perfect Storm at painfully high volumes is awesome on DVD and surround sound...

foxdvd
Sep 27th, 2001, 03:26:28 PM
The French Connection dvd just out is REALLY good...2 dvd set, and real cheap (17 dollar range at some stores)

Jedieb
Sep 27th, 2001, 05:33:56 PM
The one thing I've noticed is that DVDs are loaded with features are made to be bought, not rented. There's so much material that you want to have some time to digest it all. I know I don't have the time to sit in front of a TV for 8 consecutive hours. I'm looking forward to taking my time with my Simpsons and EP1 DVDs.

foxdvd
Sep 28th, 2001, 03:30:32 PM
Yeah, dvds are like Laserdisc, made to be bought, not rented. That is why I already have almost 700 dvds..

JMK
Sep 28th, 2001, 07:06:49 PM
Holy moses! I'm stalled at 88. Trying to save some cash now. DVD's aren't exactly the cheapest things around lately...

Jedieb
Sep 28th, 2001, 08:19:02 PM
88 and 700 both seem like ridiculously high numbers to me. I mean, where do you find the time to watch them all?!

Q
Sep 28th, 2001, 11:35:44 PM
I've got maybe 250... nothing on foxdvd there.

My recommendations:

Chasing Amy
Gladiator
Nightmare Before Christmas
Macross Plus (1&2)
Aliens (or just get the Aliens Legacy)

foxdvd
Sep 28th, 2001, 11:47:23 PM
I am a movie nut. As a kid, I had my own Laserdisc player in my room, and surround sound set up. My dad would come into my room to watch movies, because my set-up was better then theirs. As I grew older, my obsession with movies just grew as I had the money to buy them. I bought my first DVD player when Best Buy first put them out on the shelf, for a bit over 1000 bucks. I have bought 6 dvd players. I have 1 in my home theater, 1 in my room, and one in my kids bedroom. I am about to finish a house we have been building for over a year, so I have another 1 saved back for the other room for my kids. I have been collecting dvds for a while now, so as I get them I watch them, and every night I try to watch 1 or 2 movies. On the weekend, I work on my house, but at night I watch another movie or so. I just love movies, it is my thing.

I have a picture of my collection I posted at the swamps about 1.5 years ago, back when I have around 300-400, but I think I need to take another picture. It is really cool looking. It is the first thing you see when you walk into my house. LOL

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 28th, 2001, 11:51:42 PM
I've just started my collection I have 15-20 at the moment but I will get more real soon. I am planning on getting TPM, Silence of the Lambs, Hannible, Enemy at the Gates, and JP3 by the end of the year. There might be some others I will pick up I am just not sure yet. I might get The Godfather it will depend on the cost of the complete set, I my wait a bit to get it.

Jedieb
Sep 30th, 2001, 03:39:02 AM
I just rented Dogma and a chick flick for the wife. Dogma was hilarious. Hopefully I'll find some time to look at the second disc today. I got halfway through the commentary after viewing the movie last night. Smith and company are fun to listen to. They don't get very technical but they have fun and they're easy to listen to.

JonathanLB
Sep 30th, 2001, 03:40:26 AM
I forgot you had that many DVDs, damn.

I think I have about 130 now. It's a good collection, but still, there are a ton of films I want badly.

DVDs aren't too good for renting. They don't work for me half the time which really makes me mad, so I end up just buying DVDs mainly. I don't rent that many movies anyway, but I do rent some on DVD. I've had better luck lately than when I first started to rent DVDs.

Jedieb: Simpsons on DVD huh? I just got those a few days ago. What do you think? I've only watched one episode but I love The Simpsons, so I think it's awesome they'll all eventually be on DVD! :)

I still am counting the days until TPM, though...

foxdvd
Sep 30th, 2001, 09:36:49 PM
I will have TPM on dvd sometime this week.