PDA

View Full Version : WOOKIE FUR NEEDED!!!!

aljf
Sep 7th, 2001, 03:17:57 PM
I would like to make a chewe costume
does anyone know of a place that sells
fur for this costume style at a reasonable
price for around 600.00 please e-mail me if you dont want to post a reply

thanks
aljf........

philippes
Sep 7th, 2001, 03:50:16 PM
Try this place:

www.nftech.com/instockfabrics.htm (http://www.nftech.com/instockfabrics.htm)

Phil

aljf
Sep 7th, 2001, 04:05:45 PM
I did thay want a grand just for the fur
I want to try other places thay have to be out there someplace !!!!

aljf.....

TheWookie
Sep 7th, 2001, 08:33:51 PM
I searched for six months for a competitor to National Fiber before I forked out the extensive cost of the custom blended fur. Might as well forget the in stock stuff as it is not readily dyed. You have to have it mixed.

Two methods that I have heard about:

1. Juan in Florida did a beautiful costume (especially the mask) using bags of loose fur and I believe a hot glue gun. I don't have his link handy, but I'm sure somebody does. His email is GuntahKela@aol.com

2. An unnamed friend is doing it using netting and bunches of fur. No more details than that.

Either way, you are looking at a lot of work to make the costume.

Because of how small the market is, NFT prtty much dominates the market. They use equipment that was made early in the century from what I am told, and it performs differently than the new machines used to make bulk fur. Allows them more leeway in making the fur. For my Chewie, I used 10-12" random length fur in two blends (included 2 $225 setup charges) . Cost 10% for extra long, and 10% for the base fur I used under the gray fur. When you peel back my gray fur, you get a matching red base fur that is like 1/2" long. Looks just like the pictures in the visual dictionaty if you look closely. BTW - The setup charges are due to the fact that they have to clean the machines between colors (thousands of needles)

KZ1000
Sep 8th, 2001, 07:08:09 PM
Do you have pic's? You've probably posted them before, but I probably missed them.

Thanks,
KZ

TheWookie
Sep 8th, 2001, 08:04:45 PM
This is the only picture I have online right now (from the first Celebration).

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=82033&a=6891526&p=16905693&Sequence=0&res=high

aljf
Sep 10th, 2001, 09:10:04 AM
thanks looks like I'm going to need a partime job to cover this

aljf......

KZ1000
Sep 10th, 2001, 11:56:49 AM
Thanks for the pic! How tall are you? Maul looks a little intimidated :)

KZ

TheWookie
Sep 10th, 2001, 12:08:54 PM
I'm 6' tall. The height rig was +14"

GuntahKela
Sep 10th, 2001, 01:30:05 PM
I'm the small and meek guy in Florida Wookie mentioned. I bought over 50 or so jumbo bangs of fake extension hair at local wig shops. I glued it all in an overlapping pattern and there was tons of finishing work to do to the fur, such as waving, curling, light spraying, and trimming. If you think your morning hair has ever given you trouble, then get ready! I'm saving to buy the hair from National tech as well. However, the hair extension method is a cheaper alternative and the hair isn't so bad.
Go to my site and click under "Chewbacca" and "Chewbacca meets nsync" Click banner below.

J

ShackMan
Sep 10th, 2001, 02:46:19 PM
Awesome work on that mask! I've seen your site several times, and never realized it was a board members (well, I assumed as much, just didn't realize whose site it actually was).

Congrats! And if you decide you want to part with this costume when you get the next batch of fur ... ;)

ATM

aljf
Sep 10th, 2001, 04:38:26 PM
excellent chewbacca mask !!!!

TK002
Sep 10th, 2001, 07:22:32 PM
That's an awesome mask as well as the costume. From scratch no less!
BTW, what did you use to make The Emperor cane? EM me at bleyd1138@aol.com. I made one as well and am curious what you used.

:cool:

aljf
Sep 11th, 2001, 08:34:11 AM
Heres a weard question does NFT make the costume or just the fur I'm going to need a mask as well to go along with this
what about the feet,paws( hands) does anyone make Chewes bag & strap as well ??? I'm sorry to say that I have NO sewing skills at al ( I STINK ) I should be able to get the fur around December 28th. any help at all would be verry welcome .

Thanks
aljf........

GuntahKela
Sep 11th, 2001, 09:27:39 AM
Yeah, yeah, It was me all along. Thanks!

Nope, NFT only makes the hair along with other accessories, like wigs and displays. Call them and ask them for a free brochure and a free sample of their chewbacca hair color. They supply to the film, theater and entertainment industry in general, so they can get pretty booked up.
You are better off buying a Don Post mask and modify it the best you can. I can't talk you through the process, but I had seen some people do this and end up with fair results.
Hands are just black gloves covered by the long fur from the arms and you can see the feet in the visual dictionary. I made the silver boxes out of wood blocks and paint them silver. Finally, I bought a leather suitcase at a thrift shop and made the belt and pouch out of it.

aljf
Sep 11th, 2001, 10:35:12 AM
Guntah,
Can you give me a few tips on how I can do the mask ?? I have a Don post Deluxe mask so thats half the battle do I ask for
extra fur how much to do the mask do I strip the old fur off and glue the new fur on ?? I could realy use the info PLEASE
e-mail me if you dont want to post.

Regards
aljf........

aljf
Sep 13th, 2001, 08:31:58 AM
Bump!!!!

GuntahKela
Sep 13th, 2001, 09:19:47 AM
Well, "The Wookie" did the upgrade to the DP mask, so he could help you better on that. I had never held, put on or seen a Don Post mask in person, so I have nooooooooooooooo idea how to go about it. If I think about it, I had never upgraded anything I bought. It has always been scratch built and that's even harder to explain.

aljf
Sep 13th, 2001, 02:41:53 PM
Thanks I'll do just that !!

aljf......

aljf
Sep 13th, 2001, 02:56:12 PM
Guntah,
do you know if NFT dyes the fur also or will I have to do that ???

aljf...........

GuntahKela
Sep 13th, 2001, 03:53:17 PM
They can do any color you want. Request a catalog from them.