PDA

View Full Version : Are you expecting props in the mail?????

sjanish
Sep 12th, 2001, 04:37:29 PM
Well, don't hold your breath.

I just got back from the post office. They told me that all US domestic mail is being accepted and delivered via ground. They have no idea how long it will last. They made it clear that it could be a while.

I have a couple of packages that need to be delivered to Canada and the UK. The clerk said they will accept them to be delivered but they are not going anywhere until the mess is sorted out. I decided I could hold onto my packages just as well and I trust me much more than I trust the PO with them. Of course I will have to inform the people they are being sent to.

I am also expecting a package from Canada with my Crow Cooper XL7. :( Damn all terrorists!

I really don't mean to trivialize what happened, but I noticed it as a very real side effect on the hobby. Oh, and in case anyone misinterprets, I do have the bigger picture in mind and I am not seriously upset over my packages being delayed.

ObiWannabe
Sep 12th, 2001, 04:44:21 PM
I know the feeling. It affects all of us down to the smallest level. I placed an order for some fabric from California Monday night, but I don't expect to get it anytime soon, even if the company does ship it UPS ground.

I'm going to have to email my customers and tell them they may not get their Halloween costumes in time. :(

At least it's some small thing we can be mad at, when we don't have the face of our attacker to confront just yet.

Dann
Sep 12th, 2001, 04:51:41 PM
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I have some stuff I've been waiting for, and everyday I get a long face when I go outside and don't see my packages. :(

But, like Scott, I too have the bigger picture in clear focus and am shocked and appalled.

darthgoat
Sep 12th, 2001, 05:02:47 PM
looks like my wedge helmet wont get here anytime soon. i hope i get it by the dvd release.

Dewy888
Sep 12th, 2001, 05:05:21 PM
I'm expecting Roman's MK1 and Tim's apprentice :( but if they would be shipped ground normally does that mean there will be no problem or still some delays?

jt001
Sep 12th, 2001, 05:12:01 PM
In my case (I'm in PR), we use USPS as well. I heard yesterday in the news that we can receive packages from the continental US, but we are not allowed to send out to the US. Only local mail is permitted.

I'm expecting props as well :(

Sucks :(

jt001

Darth Bill
Sep 12th, 2001, 05:15:35 PM
My MK1's will take a little longer to get to me up here in Canada....

B**ching about it would be excessively petty.

Let's do what we can to put the world back into order....
...THEN get me my saber. :)

Russ

leiasky
Sep 12th, 2001, 07:51:16 PM
Just expecting a few blades. If they come UPS ground it will only take a few days longer than if they had gone by air.

This shipping issue is HUGE. Not only are the carriers loosing money but so are the businesses who depend heavily on such service.

ShadowKnight626
Sep 12th, 2001, 07:54:30 PM
Expecting Gal saber. I thought that the apprentice wasn't finished yet?

ObiWannabe
Sep 12th, 2001, 08:32:12 PM
No kidding, Tammy. At my day-job, a signmaking company, we ordinarily air-overnight finished orders. We've had to completely change the way we do business. Some customers are going to be ticked if we can't get their stuff to them on time.

Jedi Xavier
Sep 12th, 2001, 09:39:41 PM
Here's a story for you guys to laugh at. Tuesday i got on the internet to buy some shows from a company out of boston. Not thinking i paid $13 to get 2 day shipping. Well i guess you guys see were this is going i doubt i will have my cleats ready for my game on saturday.

-Xavier

Darth Detori
Sep 12th, 2001, 09:43:23 PM
from the horses mouth (UPS, at least):

UPS NETWORK OPERATING
Air Packages Moving Through Ground System

UPS said today its ground network is operating in a normal fashion and has expanded to handle many of the express packages that typically would move by air.

Deliveries and pickups are occurring, and ground and air packages are being accepted and moved as expeditiously as possible using UPS's extensive, integrated transportation network. Service has been restored to Washington, D.C., but deliveries continue to be limited in parts of Manhattan.

The UPS air operation was closed Tuesday night and will remain closed until the Federal Aviation Administration reopens the skies. The company is eager to resume air operations and, pursuant to the FAA's authorization, plans to reposition some aircraft soon.

UPS is working with its customers to help them understand their shipping options. But in general, the ground system is operating normally and express packages now are being moved on the ground where possible. Some air express packages destined for longer distances are being held in anticipation of air restrictions being lifted.

"Our first concern is the safety of UPS employees and the safety of our nation," said UPS Chairman and CEO Jim Kelly. "If the federal government believes the air system should remain closed for now, then we will simply continue to use our ground network. And in fact, the majority of the air packages received by UPS Tuesday are moving toward their destinations today through the ground network under our contingency plans."

Outside the United States, UPS is operating close to normal within the various regions of the world. With the exception of packages moving to and from Canada, which are being transported via the ground network, packages are not moving into or out of the United States at the moment.

On disaster relief efforts, Kelly said UPS already is working with federal and national relief organizations as well as community leaders to coordinate the movement of supplies. Individuals interested in assisting should contact those organizations, such as the American Red Cross and United Way of America.

"We all were shocked and saddened at the tragic events that took place Tuesday in New York, Washington, D.C., and western Pennsylvania," Kelly concluded. "Thankfully, all UPS employees in the affected areas have been accounted for and are safe. But our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of those touched by this terrible disaster."

UPS is the world’s largest express carrier and largest package delivery company, serving more than 200 countries and territories around the world. Headquartered in Atlanta, Ga., the company is located on the Web at www.ups.com.

ragacin
Sep 12th, 2001, 10:10:57 PM
Yup, I looking for quite a few. Some BR stuff. A gal saber, and MK 1, and the big one that I don't expect to see for a while...
Glock 18C airsoft. :(

Sith Sheriff Brody
Sep 12th, 2001, 10:54:41 PM
I'm expecting a coupla things — but if this is all we have to suffer, we should be grateful.

-SSB

PropReplicator
Sep 12th, 2001, 11:02:32 PM
Again, not to be petty in light of the circumstances, but it's pretty safe to assume that the Gfxes from the East will be delayed for quite some time.

hydin
Sep 12th, 2001, 11:04:56 PM
yea, god knows we dont want larry sent off to prison for some fedex guy crapping his pants thinking it was a mass pipebomb import.

that would NOT be cool at all.

on the plus side... well, there really is no plus side. it sucks.
chris

btw - pr, your saber went out to the mailing place today, it should hopefully be there soon.

PropReplicator
Sep 12th, 2001, 11:21:47 PM
Thanks, Chris.:)

StrangeloveDr
Sep 12th, 2001, 11:34:05 PM
Yeah I was glad to hear that Mike was gonna begin shipping El blades this monday, but now it may be a while to when they get here. Oh well, it is a small price to pay in light of what has happened, as someone mentioned before. I wonder though, what shipping service Mike uses, does anybody know?

Army Scout
Sep 12th, 2001, 11:47:31 PM
I got a bunch of stuff commin. But, l can wait!

Chris

RoDann
Sep 13th, 2001, 01:15:19 AM
Yeah, I got some old Batmobiles coming from England and Australia.

WOOHOO! YEEEEAH! They should be here any day now!:lol:

Seriously, I can wait. I mean, gee, it's only some little inconvenience. It's not like I'm on fire, on the 100th floor, of a building crashing like a freighttrain straight to the ground.

Just trying to have some perspective.

Jim

RoDann
Sep 13th, 2001, 01:45:11 AM
Has anyone thought about this: How many props ended up smeared into the side of the WTC? USMail uses commercial airlines.

I know it's an inappropriate question, but I keep wondering. Things like, what poor b*stard was in the john when it happened? Who got caught in an elevator? What mail was onboard the planes? (Tax checks?) Were there pets in the hold? That sort of thing.

I already know there was a 2 and 4 year old on those planes.

Sorry, too much spare time. Laid off three weeks ago. I've been watching CNN for 36 hours now.

Jim

CeSquared
Sep 13th, 2001, 01:46:17 AM
I'm waiting for my SDS Pulse Rifle!!!

...and a JR Trooper blaster...
...and my EL blades from Viperforce...
...and a gangload of money orders... :(

ObiWannabe
Sep 13th, 2001, 07:10:50 PM
FYI...the FedEx dude told me to my face today that I was supposed to inform my bosses that "our planes will be flying tonight." All you hear about on the news is the resumption of passenger flights, but they're not telling you that the shippers are in the air.

So, while there's probably quite a backlog to work through, things should normalize shortly. :)

StrangeloveDr
Sep 13th, 2001, 11:07:45 PM
Hey CeSquared, what carrier does Viperforce use?