PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested/able to recast an IMP Pilot Helmet & B

jvasilatos
Sep 8th, 2001, 06:45:04 AM
I may have access to the DP Deluxe helmet and chestbox... wondering if anyone is set up to recast it and work with me on making them available for a short run in fiberglass since they have been discontinued (kind of like Chris King's Vader project but without the third party snafu)?

JV

Sith prop lord
Sep 8th, 2001, 07:05:05 AM
How short of a run?. Sounds interesting, might be able to help. Drop me a line at darthbane@msn.com with more details. Thanks.

forttusken
Sep 10th, 2001, 01:07:38 PM
That sounds interesting. I probably couldn't afford it but I am interested.

Sith prop lord
Sep 12th, 2001, 06:45:05 PM
Bump.

mr trooper
Sep 12th, 2001, 06:55:44 PM
I will be starting a small run of them based on Movie pieces. Faceplate, chest and back parts from the ANH trooper I had....

I have the APH-6 in the works and the box is done. Price will be around the $500.00 mark... Shipped....

Mr Trooper

to beput on a contact list, email me at:

trooperexpert@hotmail.com

Grand Milk Carton0
Sep 12th, 2001, 07:00:57 PM
The Delux is the Full size one correct, I would be interested in a Fiberglass version.

mr trooper
Sep 12th, 2001, 08:23:00 PM
With a reversed face plate from what was used in the film! Go for it!!!!

Mr Trooper

Slave1
Sep 12th, 2001, 08:26:42 PM
Sounds good JV; keep us posted.

Treadwell
Sep 14th, 2001, 09:33:43 AM
Reversed face plate? Please elaborate....

mr trooper
Sep 14th, 2001, 11:42:25 AM
Don Post being a LFL licensee in the past, they have to follow their wishes, ie. what George says go's mentality.

The Boba Fett helmet was not pulled from an original, but instead was 3D scanned from an original and then changed to not be confused by the film used helmets. Same for the stormtrooper and also the TIE pilot.

For those helmets, the helmet was scanned again and in a computer, the changes were made, and then masters were cut from that program.

LFL does not allow the originals to be copied verbatim. Certain things are changed to save the public from buying a licensed copy being passed off as an original. That is why the faceplates and shpaes of helmets are changed and painted different (vader) and also the internals are diferent as well, again, Vader.

The Vader helmet was not even screen used. Yes, the helmet was pulled off of the one in Sansweets collection, but the helmet was a tour helmet. The suspension system and also the way the top locks down onto the face is the same for all of the tour helmets. The movie ones for ESB were not made like this.

So, look at the face. It is reversed. Very hard to see since it is done in black.

Also notice the MOM pics: the face and the helmet do not fit together perfectly. Thre are gaps along the side of the face and the Post piece leaves no gaps... So, how could it be taken from an original???

Simple. It wasn't.... It was scanned, the face, flipped, then molds were cut. We ll all know an APH6 is easy to find. Just find one of those and voila... Copied prop...

I know that Post had to pay LFL $35,000.00 for each helmet to use as refence for one month and they were not allowed to pull copies off of the helmets at all.

So, when they say copied off of the move props, you know it is just not true... Just look at the Stormtrooper statue....

Mr Trooper

mr trooper
Sep 14th, 2001, 11:55:13 AM
Here is a recent auction on Ebay that had one for sale.

cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayI...1460684101 (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1460684101)

This is the item number, do a search under completed items.

I could not save it for some reason. Maybe someone else more Savvy could....

What to look at:

The dead give away is th eyes. When looking at a trooper helmet that is real, dead on, the left eye will be longer than the right eye. Here we can see that it is reversed. Also look at the cheeks just under the eye. The left side should be pooked out more, and it is on the right side again. A dead giveaway that the face was scanned and flipped....

Mr Trooper

cking
Sep 14th, 2001, 02:27:21 PM
Mr Trooper,

If this is true then everyone who bought a Don Post Deluxe helmet under the assumption that it was cast from an original (as the advertising and certificates state) would be entitled to sue Don Post / Lucasfilm for selling items that were not what they were claimed to be?

Food for thought!

Chris.

Helmschmied
Sep 14th, 2001, 02:58:43 PM
Mr Trooper,

This is really fascinating...how do you know all this? Just observation?
Helm

mr trooper
Sep 14th, 2001, 03:11:02 PM
I have spoken to people associated with LFL and also with Post and they were able to confirm this.

A lawsuit??? Never. Would be a waste of time. Don POst ios no more, and they made the claims. Seems that if you went after LFL, they could say that they could not control what they claimed.

I think it sucks they do this to make money, but in the end, no one seemed to care, even when I told them.

When I asked Don Post himself at the Fan Con in Denver about which movie helmet the Stormtrooper CA was based on, he proudly said, Empire!

My best friend that was with me just rolled his eyes and I asked him again after showing him a replica of a ROTJ helmet. He got quiet and then said, "well, I really do not know... Could be ROTJ...."

I just politely explained to him that the faceplate was scanned and flipped and that he had no idea what he was talking about. I pointed out the reasons with both helmets, (the replica I brought off of my ROTJ helmet and his companies CA helmet) and left his table. He was pretty pissed off about someone knwoing the truth. He never said a thing after that....

Mr Trooper

Helmschmied
Sep 14th, 2001, 04:23:01 PM
So....didnt the advertisement for the DP helms claim that they were directly molded off of originals....hmm, isnt this false advertisement, lol.

Still, with a little work most helms can be resculpted, reworked, repainted to be 97% accurate...good enough for the "average" costume.

At any rate, thanks for the info on the helmets Mr. Trooper...I find these insights very interesting and useful.
H

jd pilot
Sep 14th, 2001, 05:40:29 PM
But from what I understand from the posts, mr.trooper can get it even closer than that :)

mr trooper
Sep 14th, 2001, 06:55:58 PM
Since i have the APH-6 here, and also the trooper molds here as well.... OH! YEs, tie armor using the smae pieces will be made shortly.

Very shortly...

Coming soon....

Mr Trooper