PDA

View Full Version : THE WOOKIE PLEASE READ !!!!

aljf
Sep 13th, 2001, 02:53:47 PM
I'm saving up to make a Chewie costume I have a Don Post mask can you tell me how to fix up the mask so It will match my fur that I'm ordering for NFT. Do I take off all the old fur ? or place some new fur over the old fur to blend it in what do I use
to put the fur on ?? PLEASE e-mail me
if you dont want to post

>Regards
aljf..........

aljf
Sep 13th, 2001, 09:55:21 PM
bump!!!!

TheWookie
Sep 14th, 2001, 09:53:24 PM
First of all, if you do not have an original '77 DP, I'd seriously consider doing the mask yourself. the '77 is the only one that even looks halfway decent.

Now, if you want to refur the mask, you need to carefully peel away the cheap, ugly, no good fur from the original mask and reapply the national fiber fur using latex to the mask. Dip the backing in the latex (do not get on the fur) and hold against the mask until it starts to setup. This is very time consuming. It helps to let the latex sit on a paper plate for a little while to get it tacky before you start. Make sure that the fur is laying in the direction you want. Work in small sections and try to leave a decent bunch of fur along the edges to allow you to comb it to cover.

I recommend that before you start cutting on the $30 sq. ft. fur that you buy some very cheap fur and learn how to cut it. You have to work along the backing without severing the fur itself. Your first inclination will be to cut across the whole piece of fabric. DO NOT DO THIS.

Now, make sure that you tell John at NFT to include several ounces of loose fibers in both colors. You will need this to punch in around the edges where the fur is attached and to add the gray patches across the upper lip area (laced in with the red fur). You can easily make the tool: Go to Wal-mart and buy a package of sewing needles with decent sized eyelets and a package of wooden dowels. Drill small holes in the end of the dowel (smaller diameter than the needle) and deep enough to sink about half the needle into the wood. Drive the needle into the pilot hole (point first) until you cannot push it any more (nice tight fit). Grind the top of the eyelet off and you end up with a small two tyned fork. Lay the end of the fur where you want it to start and push the hair through the latex. You can latex the ends down from the backside once you get it all the way done. You can actually do this for the whole mask, but it takes forever. Looks nice, but takes forever.

TheWookie
Sep 14th, 2001, 10:05:57 PM
BTW - You need to make alterations to the mask also. I cannot elaborate as it is kinda artistic interpretation, but it needs work. The 77 was the closest, but when you see it, you'll understand.

aljf
Sep 14th, 2001, 10:45:23 PM
Thanks !!!so much work so little time !!!