PDA

View Full Version : Super Dumb Question

Jedi Rory
Sep 15th, 2001, 10:00:16 PM
Hey guys.....if I wanted to paint some pvc pipe, then is there a kind of spray paint that will allow me to get it in a kind of "gun-metal gray"?

Or any kind of metal-looking color. It doesn't need to be shiny-reflective....in fact I'd prefer it not be.

Thanks, guys.

Sith Sheriff Brody
Sep 15th, 2001, 10:21:29 PM
Well, you could buy some regular 'silver' spray paint, paint, and then rub graphite on it. That gives a cool and subdued metallic look.

-SSB

hydin
Sep 15th, 2001, 10:23:03 PM
rustoleum has a pretty good metal pewter color.

the shiny chrome kinda blows though. you touch it, you leave a big fingerprint.

but, the metal pewter finish rocks.
chris

FugaziSDC
Sep 16th, 2001, 12:04:32 AM
I'll back Hydin up on the finger prints on metallic spray paints:(

I'd go with a good base coat with black. Then get you some Testors Model Master spray paint in the color of your choice. Buffing metalizers rock too;) Then seal it with gloss. semi-gloss, matte, or flat, all paints form the same line to keep chemical compatability. Allow plenty of time between coats (minimum 1 hour) or about a day. The paint is a little pricey for the quantity you get but it's very consistent.

Good luck, post pics;)

Wakal
Sep 16th, 2001, 12:28:08 AM
"Super dumb question" indeed...that was a well-thought-out, reasonable question of a...umm..prop related nature.

I'm very disappointed.

No flames, no "OT", no yelling or screaming...geez, what is this board coming to? :p

I was expecting questions like: "why do reasoning, thinking adults vote for liberal demoncrats" or "what the heck was NY thinking voting Hillary", or maybe "how could a convicted doper be elected Mayor of DC?"

Oh, and on paint...some primer, then flat black, then a light dusting with silver dust would work out pretty good and be fairly fast. Not as elegant or nifty as others have suggested, but fast and not particularly ugly.

Alex

gavidoc
Sep 16th, 2001, 12:36:09 AM
Backing Wakal on this one.

Quick simple solution.

1. Primer (grey)
2.flat black
3.rub with graphite powder
4.clear coat.

Repeat steps 3 and 4 till desired grey is achieved.

simple, quick, and cheap. More then likely since you are into props, you already have the primer, black and clear coat.

Rebel Hunter
Sep 16th, 2001, 01:52:10 AM
Has anyone tried a silver coat and then a coat of the rub-n-buff? I've been curious about it, but never have tried it yet.

I'd appreciate some feedback from those of you who have tried it.

Thanks, Mark