PDA

View Full Version : It is Your Civic Duty to SPEND MONEY

bobadebt
Sep 15th, 2001, 08:03:18 PM
I know it may sound dumb but everyone needs to get out and spend money.

Now is not the time to tighten our belts.

If you have been thinking of buying something, go out and get it.

Go to the movies or dinner or both.

I have spent money on my wife, me, our unborn grandson and our house and I'm not done yet.

So why are you still reading this, the mall is waiting :)

Stormy320
Sep 15th, 2001, 08:12:07 PM
I'm with yeah BD.

Just went out and bought $300 worth of camping equipment.

Feels good!!

Mandalorian
Sep 15th, 2001, 08:18:52 PM
BD: I just shared your post with my wife, which made her say "who the heck said that??" :D But she also agreed that this would be good for the US economy.......

But what do you think about the ancient story of the "Ant and the Grasshopper...."

M. :smokin:

tk421mv7
Sep 15th, 2001, 08:24:46 PM
My birthday was Thursday and I have spent WAY too much the past couple of days.

Funny, I was also thinking that I was doing my part for the economy. :)

Gotta get those Larbel sabers before it's too late!

As for ants & grasshoppers... well, we've just seen how quickly and unexpectedly life can be taken away. You've got to enjoy the moments you can. And money is best spent on moments.

My $0.02. ...get it? :p

Alex
tk421mv7

ViperPilot
Sep 15th, 2001, 09:00:29 PM
Yes, I agree, spend all you can. If you were going to buy something next month, dig into your credit card and buy it now.

If you have stocks or mutual funds - DON'T SELL! Buy more if you can. If the Dow and NASDAQ averages can be up by the close of business Monday, it will be a nice Eff You to OBL.

VP

Ham Solo
Sep 15th, 2001, 09:22:41 PM
I dropped some serious coin last night. I took the wife and son out for dinner and while we were waiting to be seated, I went to L.S. Ayres and bought 8 new dress shirts for work. :)

hypospray
Sep 15th, 2001, 10:00:54 PM
well I for one am going to take advantage of the low stock prices to put a few thousand in a reliable company. Hopefully I can make a few bucks.

BTW- we just bought a nice new house. when we get moved in I'll be sure to post some pics! :)

Jedi Rory
Sep 15th, 2001, 10:10:53 PM
I'm no financial advisor or anything, but I'd try and go into biometrics. That stuff's the wave of the future.

swampbug
Sep 15th, 2001, 10:43:15 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

After this weeks attack, many people have been hard at work helping and rescueing people. Lots of money and blood are needed. A great portion of the US has probably contributed in some small way, or as a citizen you might feel a little guilty sitting somewhere with your brand new PS2 thinking.. hmmm maybe I dont deserve this lux. The 300$ some dollars could have been used for a more worthy cause! Am I not right? However, we dont really owe money to the victims. I feel it is a humane thing to do, to help those who need it.

This is my personal delemma.
Before the attack, I had decided to persue a Scout trooper costume. I am not even close to buying all I require. Having spent 350$ so far. I'm not feeling guilty yet. Then after the attack shines down on all of us, I felt guilty. " Hey look at that stupid person worried about his. duuuuumb costume, and his duuuuumb helmet... how selfish to pay money for a chunk of fantasy. What he shoudl really be doing is giving all that money to those who need it." <----this is how I feel sometimes.

I have since donated some money to the red cross, but it pales in the amount I will spend on the costume.

Does anyone feel the same way here, and do you have any sage advice to reflect on me.

-Tommy

Sluis Van Shipyards
Sep 15th, 2001, 11:02:22 PM
I just spent $184 on college books...

tripoli
Sep 15th, 2001, 11:20:40 PM
Order the LOTR One Ring 18K gold. And make an expensive super display for it.
Done.
Now, this will go great withthe swords I have on order with you Dave.

Mandalorian
Sep 15th, 2001, 11:35:05 PM
Swamp bug - yes, I have had thoughts, like "what the heck am I doing collecting this stuff...... I still have a collection of probably over 1500 comic books in mint condition from the early 80's, why don't I sell them off.....?

M. :smokin:

FugaziSDC
Sep 15th, 2001, 11:59:33 PM
I had fantastic diner at a Cuban Restaraunt and went to see Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back...:lol:

I saw about a gazillion people out today dropping mad cash and couldn't find a parking place...life goes on;)

hypospray
Sep 16th, 2001, 12:23:14 AM
Tommy- in all honesty, the $20B for the rescue operations at the three sites will probably cover the costs. That is your tax money, so in a sense you are in fact helping. But if you have a few spare bucks in your paypal account or something of course contribute :)

ShadowKnight626
Sep 16th, 2001, 12:33:27 AM
I've also been dropping a lot of cash on small stuff. Got a ton of new CD's and DVD's today.

One of the lessons that the attack on Tuesday taught me is how fragile life really is and that we should not put anything off anymore. Give what you can, but remember this.

The government is already giving a lot of YOUR tax money to families that have lost loved ones. I for one am happy for the first time about paying taxes and how the government spends that money. Way to go Uncle Sam! This does not in anyway mean that you still shouldn't help, but don't feel guilty if you only give a little to give because in reality you already gave a lot.

The Red Cross is telling people that if they don't have type O blood, not to come down and donate.

My advice is to put out a flag, go to church and pray, if you have type O blood then donate, and give some money to a charitable donation, any charitable donation. The rest of the worlds problems may be in a very large shadow right now, but they are still in as much need as they were before. I've been stuffing money into those donations jars that you find at the checkout and purchasing money tickets for those who can't afford food, at the grocery store.

If you feel that you have done all that you can do then I don't see why you should feel guilty about buying props. Be happy today because who knows what tomorrow will bring.

rmschneider104
Sep 16th, 2001, 02:16:11 AM
I will be buying a new vehicle this upcoming Saturday.

J Scott D
Sep 16th, 2001, 03:03:24 AM
I should be buying a new truck very soon. I've been driving the same vehicle since 1988.

Scott D.

RoDann
Sep 16th, 2001, 03:34:16 AM
I've been buying + selling on ebay all week. I'm laid off, so right now I need to MAKE some money too. Only problem is, I keep spending it!:lol:

I haven't gone out except to fulfill my unemployment "obligations", but ebay is pretty active.

Jim

LordAbaddon
Sep 16th, 2001, 04:03:14 AM
Just paid:

$475.00 for Stormtrooper Armor
$100.00 for gifts for my mother's birthday
$75.00 for some military action figures
$30.00 for house repair supplies

In the next two weeks:

$7,000.00 on painting my house.
$1,000.00 on replacing my porch ceiling, back garage edge, and a gutter.
$600.00 for winterizing and putting new tires on my Tahoe
$500.00 (approx) for repairing a problem with my Ramcharger

So I'm definitely doing my two cents for the economy (my credit card companies send me Xmas cards every year!). :/

0neiros
Sep 16th, 2001, 04:14:00 AM
Hey, I'm supporting the US of A-the United Strippers of America. And I'll do it A dollar at a time until I'm Satisfied.
All Kidding aside, I work at Wal-Mart, and we just had one of our biggest sales days of the year. Our Donation Buckets were overflowing, and If I had a Few American Flags, I'd have made a Killing. People aren't hiding, In fact they are getting out there, and Being involved, and It's nice to see that American Spirit Emerging again. I just wish the Cost hadn't been so High.

RicosRednecks
Sep 16th, 2001, 09:18:03 AM
I did my part I think.....
i just bought a new car but it is a Honda. does that money stay here since the car is manufactured here in the U.S. or does it go to Nippon?
as far as civic duty goes I didnt buy a civic I bought a 2001
prelude hehehe.

Jeeves
Sep 16th, 2001, 01:44:28 PM
Bobadebt, great idea. Now you should put on a "save the economy" 50% off everything sale!!!

:)

-R

saberlight
Sep 16th, 2001, 02:17:01 PM
As this sounds like a great idea, lets pause and make it a better one and only buy U.S. products. Yes you may be inconvienced a little but the money will go back to Americans workers which is a point always lost.

PrimalX
Sep 16th, 2001, 02:37:05 PM
I just bought a BMW 328i if that counts. They have a BMW factory in North Carolina so my car could have come from there. I also just made a LARGE performance parts order for my '94 Accord.

MattMunson
Sep 16th, 2001, 03:01:57 PM
I think LordAbaddon wins this round! I agree with BD, we've gotta keep cash flowing into the economy. If everyone starts to tighten up, we're all sunk.

So, I'm going to buy a big brand new car this week. I'll be doing my part!!! :>

jt001
Sep 16th, 2001, 03:19:13 PM
Trust me David...I've been spending some dough on props lately. :) :) :) yohoo!!!!! props coming my way! :)

jt001