PDA

View Full Version : The way we carry our props on airplanes 'll change (update)

GuntahKela
Sep 12th, 2001, 07:12:12 PM
As you all might had heard, the FAA is making drastic changes for domestic flight travel. Security will increase noticeably. Right now, here in Miami, they are adopting the routine of checking vehicle's trunks and engine hoods before entering the airport's parking garage. Double body checks will be take place at metal detector checkpoints instead of 1. You will need your ID at all times. You might be picked to be identify at random. Only ticket holders will be allowed at terminals. No longer you will be able to check in your bags outside the terminal, but inside at the counter and I think they also banning bags and carry on cases in the overhead compartments. All these procedures will make your plane-boarding longer and uncomfortable.

Many of you carry all these rare props that look way too realistic. Items such as high-tech futuristic guns, rifles, grenades, helmets, armors, swords, military looking gear, etc.
I can picture me spending hours trying to explain what a proton pack is to someone who was called by someone, who was called by someone, who was called by someone who had to check. Imagine the people carrying trooper or fett gear, and these are the ones who travel more frequently, no? Something so familiar to us, but so rare looking to other people as a "Lighsaber" or a "Vader chest box" can be a reason for these people to freak and bring in the sniffing dogs while security corners you with everyone looking at you. It had all been easy 'till now. Your stuff was packed and delivered at the airline ticked counter and next time you will see it would be a few hours later at your destination. I'm not sure if things will stay that way now.

ShadowKnight626
Sep 12th, 2001, 07:45:00 PM
I actually tried to get my Icons Skywalker on a plane in Cleveland. For how much I paid for it, I wanted it right with me having seen the people who put the bags on the plane throw them around numerous times. They would have no part of it. The way that security reacted to it, I'm suprised that they even put in in the cargo hold. If I didn't have the C.O.A. with me they told me that it could have gone much worse for me. After that, I never tried it again.

CeSquared
Sep 12th, 2001, 07:47:54 PM
Just check it. Get hard sided suitcases and pack them well. Just use your brain and there shouldn't be a problem.

leiasky
Sep 12th, 2001, 08:03:04 PM
Even if they're checked, if they detect something, they will open it and you may end up reaching your destination without your baggage....

Looks like I'll be shipping props to any Con's I may be attending in the future. I'd rather do that than risk the horror that occurred on Tuesday.

aStanze
Sep 12th, 2001, 08:05:43 PM
I actually tried to get my Icons Skywalker on a plane in Cleveland. For how much I paid for it, I wanted it right with me having seen the people who put the bags on the plane throw them around numerous times. They would have no part of it. The way that security reacted to it, I'm suprised that they even put in in the cargo hold. If I didn't have the C.O.A. with me they told me that it could have gone much worse for me. After that, I never tried it again.

Reminds me of a Star Wars themed TV commercial where someone tried to bring a Lightsaber through a Airport Security terminal and the guard ignited the blade!:lol:

Interesting question on transporting props.:/

-Stanze:cool:

Darth Bill
Sep 12th, 2001, 08:25:33 PM
My biggest convention plan is for next year's Celebration II.

I'm taking the Greyhound.
Everything I'm bringing with me is going to be organized in a mobile footlocker to be easily accessible AND with accompanying photographs to demonstrate their association with the costume...

I'm figuring the only piece I'd have any 'trouble spots' with would be with the Vader saber (maybe an RG Force Pike, if my costume's done by then...).

Photos SHOULD help demonstrate to border guards that these are costume accessories and NOT weapons (as a lightsaber could EASILY be mistaken for a pipe bomb... :/ ).

However, this is a subject that won't be easily answered here until someone actually GOES through stringent security at some convention, in the wake of this disaster...

Russ

GuntahKela
Sep 12th, 2001, 08:40:35 PM
I forgot to mention next year's SW celebration. Lots of people will be traveling there from all corners of the U. S and the world. Driving or ground travel is not an option to many of them if they don't live close. Most of them will bring and leave back home with props and other rare stuff.

Now, reference pictures aren't a bad idea. I would get wallet size PICS and carry them............on my wallet next to my driver's license.

Docmani1
Sep 12th, 2001, 08:47:57 PM
Yep shipping is the best way to go. You avoid the security concerns and (just as importantly) you can insure the shipped item in case it fails to reach its destination.

Darth Hez
Sep 12th, 2001, 09:05:31 PM
Its weird actually, I took 3 lightsabers on planes across the atlantic to the US, and on a flight from Michigan to Dallas. There was no problems with my sabers. I explained what they were(ish), what I used them for (display), they checked them over, although I suspect they were looking for potential drugs inside them as well as explosives, but they let me pack them back into my hand luggage and carry them on.

I agree though, I don't think it will be nearly so easy in the future. With the way the planes were taken, knives, they'll be thinking of the damage you could do with a Maul saber. Imagine slugging someone with one of those? Or a stainless steel Obi-wan? I guess this is the end of prop carrying for me...

Docmani1
Sep 12th, 2001, 09:09:40 PM
I actually heard one person on the news say they are mulling over the idea of banning all carry-on luggage altogether. I have no idea how serious or true that idea is.

It might seem extreme, but co-workers said I was being extreme when I suggested that the FAA may clear all flights from the sky right after the Pentagon crash....

ShadowKnight626
Sep 12th, 2001, 09:59:45 PM
I heard that too. Must check bags inside, not out, and no carry ons.

That flight out of Cleveland was when I moved from there to here, LA. All my stuff was going on a container trailer that was going to be shipped via railroad and I was afraid that it would get smashed. It was the only hilt that I had at the time because I had just started collecting. Thank god my wife had enouph sense to keep the C.O.A. in the luggage instead of packing it with all of our stuff to ship here.. I bet money that I would not own that lightsaber anymore if I had packed that certificate.

I'm not so sure about the picture thing guys. You can build bombs inside of things and airport security knows it. I have been on a lot of flights traveling all over this country but it doesn't matter anymore. Everybodies next flight is going to be like there first. The only thing that's going to be the same is "plane take off, plane land." Getting in and out of the airport is going to be a whole new ballgame.

UPS with a tracking number.

RoDann
Sep 12th, 2001, 10:26:13 PM
Well, it's a good thing I didn't have my car searched last month at the airport. I had just come from Jedi135's prop party, and I had 5 cases with at least 50 lightsabers, and 4 blasters. I had to leave his house and pick up a friend at the airport.

What a mess that would've been.

Here's a question: What's going to happen to the businesses/ restaurants that are *IN* the airport? I used to hang out around the food concessions and Cheers bar while I was waiting for someone's flight. THEIR business is going to be hit hard. Not to mention that the main airport lobbies are NOT big enough for all non-passengers to be milling around waiting for friends and family.

Jim

StormLeader
Sep 12th, 2001, 11:17:50 PM
Re the restauraunts in the terminal, I heard on the news that any restaurants on the "secured" side of the checkpoints will not give knives to customers. Maybe that was just a local thing I dunno...

uzth4s
Sep 13th, 2001, 08:14:53 AM
In 1991, I flew from Chicago to Frankfurt. In my check-in luggage, I had a replica Sterling, and a replica MG 34.
I told the guy I had these REPLICA guns in my suitcase but he said I definately had to show them to him.
So I started unpacking and I kinda casually mentioned they were STAR WARS guns. So he told me to stop unpacking and checked my luggage.

In 1995 I flew from LA to Duesseldorf. I had a brand new still sealed video tape in my carry-on luggage. I asked them to not x-ray the tape.
So the "security" lady took the tape, held it up to her ear and shook it. Then she handed it back to me. I guess it must not have sounded like a knife, bomb, gun or something like that...

In 1997 I also flew from LA to Duesseldorf. I had that little robot from "Batteries not included" in my carry-on. When they x-rayed my bag, they told me I cold not take it on board the plane.
So I explained to them that this think was VERY fragile. But I could not convince them and they sent me back to the check-in counter.
I waited for 5 minutes and got back in line at a different x-ray maschine. I unpacked the robot and showed it to the guy there, asking if this would be a problem. He replied "Ohh, Batteries not included! Cool movie. No problem at all."

So much for security.

Tim

P.S. Over the years, I have taken about a dozen Graflex's and sabers on the plane in my carry on luggage and I have NEVER had ANY problems. Most of the times they never even asked what was in the bag

TheLivingForce
Sep 13th, 2001, 09:03:44 AM
All I can say is ROAD TRIP to the celebration 2!!! I live in Phoenix, Arizona, and a simple plane trip to Indianapolis souded great until now. My feelings may change by next year, but whatever I bring, I will defintiely bring any resources necessary to justify my posession via train, plane or automobile.

-Neal

GuntahKela
Sep 13th, 2001, 06:01:41 PM
They just showed on the news. They are checking baggage. As you make the line to the ticket counter, they place your baggage on tables and go through your personal belongings and stuff. They are also placing more X-ray machines for bags to go through. Bad times!

Master Windu
Sep 13th, 2001, 08:01:51 PM
Please don't tell me that was Hopkins with the security with sticks up their butt... :/

GuntahKela
Sep 15th, 2001, 09:49:18 AM
I just saw on CBS "The Saturday Early Show" That New and better X-ray machines are been installed at airports and the second body search will be the passenger themselves going through X-ray machines, just like with Arnold in "total Recall." The x-ray machine can see everything. Guns, Drugs, knives, even your most intimate parts.

LZeitgeist
Sep 15th, 2001, 10:13:26 AM
Wow... be sure you wash well with Lever 2000...

dualedge
Sep 15th, 2001, 11:47:12 AM
Celebration 2 - two words: road trip

glimadyne
Sep 15th, 2001, 12:48:55 PM
At the last plano con (in July mind you!) I had packed my airsoft pulse rifle in my suitcase. I told the counter lady about it and asked her if she wanted to check the bag. I told her I had a replica gun that was nonworking, but I wanted it checked so the bag wasnt held up should it be x-rayed down the line. She said it wasnt necessary. I asked again since I didnt think that was the correct action. She again said that it was ok since once the bag goes through the conveyor belt it goes right onto the plane with no other checks! I was dumbfounded. Right then I figured out how easy it was to circumvent the process. So much for security at DFW!

gw2tulsa
Sep 15th, 2001, 01:09:29 PM
Jim, I could gurantee you that you will NEVER be able to do that again ;)

I'm wondering just how in the world I'll ship these remaining rifles. I'll probably have to start placing an info sheet with these things so no one freaks out at the airport when it goes through...

-Happy Propping,
Gary Weaver II

ShadowKnight626
Sep 15th, 2001, 03:45:56 PM
Master Windu - it was Hopkins. I lived just east of Cleveland for twenty five years and recently moved to LA. Big sticks. Can't blame them though.

RoDann
Sep 15th, 2001, 10:58:08 PM
Glim- knowing of someone who HAS- albeit inadvertently- brought a weapon (won't specify- but I'm not talking about a boxcutter) right up to the cockpit door, I know *exactly* what you mean. About four years ago, right after he moved down here from CT, he flew back home for his friend's wedding. Since he was going to be back in Bridgeport CT for a week, he wanted to have something with him. He WAS supposed to check his bags in at the counter, but they made him carry them all the way THROUGH the x-ray machines, then out the ramp to the cockpit. Then someone would take them down and out to the plane.

Lucky for him, he had dismantled it, and stowed it in a steel box - which SHOULD have been searched, but wasn't. Twice. The only "close call", was when he returned. AGAIN, they made him carry his stuff to the plane. This time, he was instructed to open his suitcase. He removed the steel box and asked if he should open it. The response he got was "No, that won't be necessary". And here he is holding it right up in front of her face. "Concealed in plain view" as they say.

I haven't felt safe on an airplane since.

Jim

jd pilot
Sep 16th, 2001, 04:55:00 PM
*sigh* There's even talk about arming us on the flight deck too. I believe times have changed forever :(

swampbug
Sep 16th, 2001, 05:10:25 PM
I also question Airport security of the past. My bag once had a giant Mag light, video camera, headmounted walkie talkies.. oogles of wires for all my crap. digital camera.. The man pulls my bag and looks at my flashlight, he tries to switch it on, but It wouldnt work. He was doing a good job using his skillz. Once he opened the thing he saw I just had 2 of the 3 D cells needs to work it. And let me pass. Then on the way back, I wasnt checked at all. So I felt strange how some people do thier job and others just let it go by.

GuntahKela
Sep 16th, 2001, 08:25:34 PM
For the people thinking "Road trip"

I just heard on TV that they are considering having check points (Paytolls) at interstate highways were you will be ask to ID yourself and have your car sniffed or search. They are targeting potential, non-Americans who's immigration status could be questionable. They mention this very briefly, but they did mention it as something active down the road. Bad Times!

ShadowKnight626
Sep 16th, 2001, 10:10:26 PM
GuntahKela - Please tell me your kidding. Is this country going to turn into the way Russia used to be. We are going from freedom to prison so fast that we can't see the cell door shut. Maybe they should try this before they do something stupid like that.

1 - Close the borders.

2 - Make anybody allowed in this country for a visit to wear one of those house arrest anklets.

3 - All muslims are to be deported. One of the reasons he is attacking us is because he thinks he has to "purify" any place where muslims live. ONE OF THE REASONS.

4 - Only US military supervised flights can enter US airspace. One airliner and two fighters.

5 - Capture the entire muslim nation, build a fence around Iraq, and put them all in there like Escape from New York.

Disclaimer - I would rather see this happen than have to stop every half hour to get my truck and person searched for trying to go somewhere in my own country. In actuality I wouldn't want any of this to happen. It's just a thought.

rollerboi
Sep 16th, 2001, 10:33:25 PM
dude, muslims have nothing to do with this. neither is this an act of Islam. we're dealing with fundamental extremists in this case. but that's a thread for the OT section.. :)

to keep it prop-related: our country has the frightening potential of becoming much like the one in Gattaca, if all the hype and rumors are to be believed.

hey, a low-budget prop idea: eyelash and skin scrapings, with a Gattaca plaque. expect this soon. ;) :lol:

ShadowKnight626
Sep 16th, 2001, 10:49:58 PM
rollboi - (If this sounds like I’m arguing with you I’m not. In a calm tone I reply.)
Of course he is an extremist. He is a “islamic militant” an he is fighting what he calls a “holy war.” Read the paper and watch the news, it has everything to do with muslims and the nation of islam. Somebody at work e-mailed me a short bio on him but I never forwarded it to my home e-mail. Tomorrow I will e-mail it to you.

ShadowKnight626
Sep 16th, 2001, 10:59:58 PM
Here's something on him right from CNN

"In 1996, bin Laden issued a "fatwah," a religious ruling urging Muslims to kill U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia and Somalia. A second fatwah in 1998 called for attacks on American civilians."

"Bin Laden is believed to be at the center of an international coalition of Islamic radicals. Al Qaeda has forged alliances with like-minded fundamentalist groups such as Egypt's Al Jihad, Iran's Hezbollah, Sudan's National Islamic Front, and jihad groups in Yemen, Saudi Arabia, and Somalia, according to the U.S. government. Bin Laden's organization also has ties to the "Islamic Group," led at one time by Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman, the Egyptian cleric serving a life sentence since his 1995 conviction for a thwarted plot to blow up various New York landmarks. Two of Sheik Rahman's sons joined forces with bin Laden in the late 1990s."

It has everything to do with it.

Darth Detroit
Sep 17th, 2001, 12:35:06 AM
I was flying ut of Newark New Jersey once, and I had my Vader MPP with the all metal custom power cell in it. I had it rolled up in a pair of jeans in my suitcase. When I got home to Detroit, it was unrolled and the power cell was loose, as if someone removed it and tried to put it back together. Contrary to what the media says about airport security. It is getting better.

rollerboi
Sep 17th, 2001, 01:23:19 AM
"Bin Laden is believed to be at the center of an international coalition of Islamic radicals. Al Qaeda has forged alliances with like-minded fundamentalist groups such as Egypt's Al Jihad, Iran's Hezbollah, Sudan's National Islamic Front, and jihad groups in Yemen, Saudi Arabia, and Somalia, according to the U.S. government. Bin Laden's organization also has ties to the "Islamic Group," led at one time by Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman, the Egyptian cleric serving a life sentence since his 1995 conviction for a thwarted plot to blow up various New York landmarks. Two of Sheik Rahman's sons joined forces with bin Laden in the late 1990s."

It has everything to do with it.
With all due respect, you've just proved my point. Extremist Islamic radicals are to Islam as the Right Wing Militia are to US/Christianity. These groups do not speak for Islam or muslims as a whole.

I'd encourage anyone to take the time to check out www.islam.org. More specifically, there are two good articles on the front page - one bridging the gap of understanding between Islam and Christianity, and the other explaining more about Islam.

It's easy to fear or hate what one does not understand. I don't claim to understand much more of Islam beyond this, but I'm trying to learn. I hope others allow themselves to be open to this as well. I have friends who are muslim, and they are sickened by the terrorist actions. Flies in the face of everything they believe in.

That's all I really have to say on that...

ShadowKnight626
Sep 17th, 2001, 03:04:58 AM
I'm going to reply on the OT forum so we don't take over this thread. Look for "know your enemy." That's where it will be. I actually have a lot to say about this. If we can manage to have a discussion without taking each others heads off then let's do so. I'm game.

ursus42
Sep 17th, 2001, 03:23:52 AM
"5 - Capture the entire muslim nation, build a fence around Iraq, and put them all in there like Escape from New York."

SK626 - This would ALMOST be life imitating art....The Siege with Bruce Willis and Denzel Washington.

droidboy
Sep 17th, 2001, 06:23:40 AM
Well...anyone who is going to Celebration who would like to use my place as a clearing house for shipped props are welcome to. I am sure Ham Solo would be happy to hold your shipments as well.

Gregg