PDA

View Full Version : Korben & Leeloo MultiPasses (& Munro, too) done! F/S

ry27
Aug 19th, 2001, 03:08:55 PM
I know a couple people were probably working on these, but I decided to construct one myself this weekend.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=782538&a=13652185&p=53122512
Its about 90% finished...I am just working out the details on the back - but I wanted to see if there were any of our local graphic artists here that would be willing to help out on the photo work.
Currently I have the 'master' chilling in mold material awaiting resin, so I also wanted to see if there was any interest for these as well. I also have an amber colored resin that I am going to mold the "sphere" inside the circle in - and depending on the interest, I may or may not do the details on the back of the passes.
I have a few more pix of the one I made here
albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=782538&a=13652185&f=0 (http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=782538&a=13652185&f=0).
If there is any interest at all, go ahead and post here...I am not very good at figuring prices...so I was thinking around $25 for the unfinished pass (that way, we could always just have the graphics printed at Kinkos if necessary)

BUT if any of the local artists are willing to help out on the graphics...definately let me know.
This will compliment my Korbin pistol display nicely ;)

RYan

Maximus313
Aug 19th, 2001, 03:47:00 PM
Ryan, looks most excellent! Scratch building is fun! I was thinking for the amber half-sphere you should check out Michaels or Hobby Lobby - I've seen amber glass and plastic spheres and disks there that might fit perfectly. Look in the jewlery and folliage sections (they make the disks as decorations for plant holders.)

I'm totally interested in that. Email me when you're finished.
Also, for the underside you could just mold up the flat pattern and add a couple ribs or panels on it or something fun. That way you'd have hardly any sanding for a finished piece and you'd have 2 open face molds. Simple and clean.

Cris

Army Scout
Aug 19th, 2001, 05:04:23 PM
Im interested Ryan!!!

Chris

aljf
Aug 19th, 2001, 05:37:14 PM
Ryan count me in too !!!!

aljf..............

ry27
Aug 19th, 2001, 06:09:42 PM
Good idea Cris...as far as I have seen...the back simplyhas some long half-round details on top of a grid pattern...but if people are just going to display it, it might not be worth the trouble...I know I will probably give it a shot, just to see.

As for the amber sphere...I have the right size acrylic sphere, that I am just going to mold and cast in tinted resin...that way it almost looks transparent...but I may try something strange like a "grape" from Michaels or something. Thanks for the tips again.

RYan
PS> What does everyone think of the price...I am not very good at judging what something is worth...so let me know

TK648
Aug 19th, 2001, 06:21:18 PM
Please forgive my ignorance but what was the Multi-Pass
from.
RY27 I would have an interest in the holder with front and back detail
You have mail

Andrew
TK648

hk729
Aug 19th, 2001, 06:47:10 PM
put me down for a front and back detail pass..
thanks,
hk729@yahoo.com

czjxm7
Aug 19th, 2001, 09:36:39 PM
Interested!

spellbinder99
Aug 20th, 2001, 02:30:40 AM
No need to reply if you want to keep the details to yourself, Ry, but what are the basic dimensions of the multipass?
I have a pile of heavy gauge styrene here and a fair bit of free time, so I wanted to have a go at making one myself....:)
Cheers for any help.
Tony Densley

Tonka2bad
Aug 20th, 2001, 02:43:51 AM
For 25 bucks, I'm very interested, but don't hold me to it later if I need something else. Like . . . . food.

Sapper36
Aug 20th, 2001, 07:46:56 AM
I'd be interested in a raw one. I was planning on doing one myself. From my screen caps I think the thing to use on the yellow circle is to just paint it yellow & cut the top off an appropiately sized glue on eye, the flat ones with the big black circle that jiggles around inside. The clear plastic part of the eye is just right & really cheap.

Todd

jediscout
Aug 20th, 2001, 07:53:36 AM
Nice job!

DKWD
Aug 20th, 2001, 10:13:13 AM
TK648 - this would be from The Fifth Element.

Looks very nice. How thick is it?

David

forttusken
Aug 20th, 2001, 11:14:37 AM
I am interested in getting one for $25. It seems like a reasonable price.

rayra
Aug 20th, 2001, 12:27:23 PM
Keep expecting Matt to turn up in this / these threads, he was working on one late last year...

http://home.earthlink.net/~rayra/rpftemp/multipassbest.jpg

Rich

kimncris
Aug 20th, 2001, 03:29:39 PM
Looks very nice!

Rayra - On our costume thread I gave Matt what I thought was a blatant request to contact me if he is still doing them and he hasn't brought it up...I keep forgetting to ask.

Like Spellbinder99, I am planning to attempt one for myself (I also enjoy the building process!).

If I have overestimated my skills and fail miserably, my $25 is yours! :)

Kim

The 48th Ronin
Aug 20th, 2001, 04:45:49 PM
I think the illustrious Mr. Munson may have already taken off - he's gonna be on vacation this week.

He's been meaning to get around to the Multipass project for quite some time now, but he shared the sentiment that if anyone else came out with one, he'd be the first to buy one and just be done with it.

If you are unsure about the graphics, Matt is definitely the guy to talk to - he does outstanding work in that area. He just needs some better reference for the Bruce Willis pics. Does anyone have one of the 5thE Korben phonecards that came out a few years back? That would be what Matt needs. I gave him a scan of the Multipass pic from the French "Making of..." book, but the image isn't large enough to get around the resolution problems caused by the printing process.

I'd definitely be interested in one myself - 25 bucks sounds very reasonable.

czjxm7
Aug 20th, 2001, 05:20:59 PM
I have the phonecards, but of course they put a huge digital sticker over Bruce's face. The other 3 are fine though. Leeloo, Zorg, and Cornelius. Contact me if needed, Jon.

ry27
Aug 20th, 2001, 10:02:40 PM
Rich...wow...I hadnt ever seen it from that angle..now mine looks sort of tall, but I guess it could just be sanded down.

Anyway... I remember Matt was going to make these and I was super-excited...everytime someone brought it up, he said he was in the process of it - but then it sort of dissapeared. I hope I am not stepping on his toes here...I just needed something to complete my Dymerski 5thE gun.

For what its worth, I cast a dozen or so this afternoon, with mixed results...first off: sorry for the crappy photo.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=782538&a=13652185&p=53183068
The good news is that there are better photos here:
albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=782538&a=13652185&f=0 (http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=782538&a=13652185&f=0)

second...I printed out a quick reference copy on my printer, and I missed the size...thats why there is a bit of black showing on the leading edge. I also hit it with a quick coat of black primer to try to help it show up better (big mistake on my part)...but I am still learning.

I have a few screenshots of the back of the card, and it seems pretty simple...the problem lies in my poor casting techniques...the way these are being cast, they have a fat layer of flashing on the back that takes some serious sanding. As long as everyone doesnt mind doing a little cleanup work on them...I will continue this.

FINALLY: I have had a few requests for "personalized" Multi-Passes...so I began work last night on the graphics...so far I have a huge (5M) Photopoint file, that is about 75% finished...and I will just leave a spot for the photos. IF there is a ton of interest, I could probably work out a deal where I get the photos sent to me via email, and just slip them into the passes, along with the personal info - then just drop the disc off at Kinkos and get them printed on photostock (or whatever works best). Maybe it sounds silly...but I rather fancy the idea of handing someone that when they ask me for my ID whilst buying beer.....uh, soda!

So...keep posting, if you like the idea of the graphics...or just drop me an email...otherwise, I will try to wrap up the Korben ID's midweek and get a count on how many to have photo-printed up.

Thanks again for the interest.

RYan

rayra
Aug 20th, 2001, 11:59:37 PM
Too tall? naw, maybe just a little in the round / cylindrical portion, but hard to tell with out matching-angle pix.

That shot I posted is lifted from the DVD, it is from early-on, just before Dallas heads out the door / runs into Mr Gimme da cash!.

Looks very nice, anyway, and for the price, seems like a deal.

Like the idea of the custom graphics, would be fun to wear to a Con.

Have you got any idea what exactly the text says under Corbin's name? I have to re-visit the DVD tonight or tomorrow night and see if it's legible.

And interested to see the results on the amber portion, matching the color will be tough (I would think).

Rich

The 48th Ronin
Aug 21st, 2001, 12:19:33 AM
Rich - it's his address and physical characteristics:

WEST PARK ALLEYS - 281
LEVEL 21 / PIER 23-28
HA - CON 37 / 144E
NY , NY 10024

SEX:M, HR:BWN/F, EYES:BL/S,
HT:5'10", WT:152, DOB:05-24-231
BLOOD TYPE:AB+
VIRAL STATE:LOW

DRIVING LICENSE:
CLASS HH ALLOWANCE

rayra
Aug 21st, 2001, 12:23:15 AM
VIRAL STATE:LOW

:lol:

Thanks!

hk729
Aug 21st, 2001, 08:31:17 PM
I would like a pass ...please email me
hk729@yahoo.com
thanks...

oh, what program are you using to get dvd screen grabs?
I have Power DVD but the screen grab doesn't work for me ...email me with any help thanks guys.

ry27
Aug 21st, 2001, 09:47:29 PM
OK...small update...but its an update none the less. I have all the artwork done for the passes...at least for the custom passes. I am still trying to get better resoloution on Bruce's face - but its coming along.
In the meantime...take a look at this, and feel free to give all the contructive critisism you want -its the first Photoshop adventure I have undertaken, so I could use some pointers.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=782538&a=13652185&p=53223550
Essentially...this is just the 'printable' graphics over the pass from the net...but all the text is fully editable, so customized passes are going to be cake, once all the bugs are knocked out of this one.
Anyway...I have two options for the printouts...1) I have a JVC photo printer that I can print them out on for really cheap - 2) I could take the files down to Kinkos and get them to print them. I will print out a couple tomorrow myself, before I take any down to Kinkos...to see if its worth it either way.

I will probably also start an interest list, so its easier to keep track of everyones names and which passes they are looking for. FWIW, I have had interest in a LeeLoo Muul Tea Pass as well...so that is another option.

Anyway...lemme know what you think of it so far

RYan
PS> I use Power DVD, too...you should be able to 'setup' where the screencaps are going, and the resoloution on them in the program itself...hope that helps

ry27
Aug 21st, 2001, 09:53:13 PM
PSS> if anyone can tell me what it REALLY says under the white bar next to the credit card logos...definately email me. My eyesight isnt what it used to be!
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=782538&a=13652185&p=53224199

RYan

Sith Sheriff Brody
Aug 21st, 2001, 10:11:15 PM
Umm... "5 YEARS RD. APPROVAL" ?

-SSB

SinkTube Jedi
Aug 21st, 2001, 10:18:40 PM
Damn I am in!! Ry!!

Dann
Aug 21st, 2001, 10:26:39 PM
Hey Ry!!
Long time no see, I'd definately be interested in one!
:)

-Dann

The 48th Ronin
Aug 21st, 2001, 11:14:05 PM
** PSS> if anyone can tell me what it REALLY says under the white bar next to the credit card logos...definately email me. My eyesight isnt what it used to be! **

It's: 5 YEARS FED. APPROVAL

ry27
Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:14:39 AM
Excellent...thank you much Tim!

RY

rayra
Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:32:44 AM
Ry, I've been tweaking PowerDVD every way I can figure, and I can set the resolution for the display image to practically anything, but I can only get captures as bitmaps, at 480x720 and roughly 100 pixels / inch.
If you can tell me how to set the capture file differently, it would be greatly appreciated,

forttusken
Aug 22nd, 2001, 11:42:45 AM
Wow that is sweet! Count me in!

Would you consider a multi-multipass discount on orders of 2 or more? I would like a Leloo and Corbin.

I wish I could help with the resolution but since it is at the DVD end I can't. I have some limited graphic design resources so email me if you need more help.

ry27
Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:28:17 PM
Rich...I am not sure why mine is capturing so high, then...its making these huge 2 meg files as captures, and they are 800 x 600. I have no idea then. It might just be different versions of PowerDVD.

Tusken...I could definately use some help...email me ry27@uswest.net

Dann...its been a while, hasnt it? I keep being referred to as "the Ghost of Christmas Past" :)

And for everyone else...my latest (pathetic) attempt at the Photoshop graphics:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=782538&a=13652185&p=53259161
well...at least custom ones can be done.

I am still working on the Bruce Willis photo, and I think I have a pretty good copy of the Leeloo photo...but if anyone has a really-really good copy...definately let me know...it will save me some time.

I know I keep promising a list of interested parties, so I will go through the thread and my emails and make a list here tonight. It will probably be just a list of names - so at one point, I may need everyone to 're-email' me or just post again, detailing which pass you are interested in: 1) the Korbin pass, 2) the Leeloo pass, or 3) a personal pass.
***all of this is pending that the graphics even come out well enough for me not to be ashamed***

I am sure I can start discounting for multi-Multi-passes...I pulled another 1/2 dozen out of the molds tonight, and they are turning out thinner and thinner, -which means less cleanup work on them :)

Anyway...keep the critiques coming.

RYan

Sith Sheriff Brody
Aug 22nd, 2001, 09:49:59 PM
That 'blue' version of Willis is just an inverse. Inverted colors. Ctrl+I in MS Paint.

-SSB

ry27
Aug 22nd, 2001, 11:18:01 PM
Here is the list of interested parties, in no particular order:

1) Maximus13
2) Army Scout (K)
3) aljf
4) TK648
5) HK729
6) czjxm7
7) Tonka2bad
8 ) Sapper36
9) Jedi Scout (gets one just because)
10 ) forttusken
11) kimncris
12) The 48th Ronin
13) rayra
14) Sink Tube Jedi
15) Dann
16) TheShadowe
17) Skyler 101 (P)
18 ) SWFreak
19) Sith Sheriff Brody (K)
20) PHArchivist

Again, this is mostly just a list to see how many of which pass I should cast/print. I am printing the JVC test tomorrow, and I will take that Silvia pass down to Kinkos as well and get them to print one out on high-gloss (or whatever someone else suggests...I am new at this). I will post more pictures tomorrow of the graphics in one of the painted resin pulls.

As far as that amber sphere, I am still trying a few things...I sliced down an acrylic sphere to what I feel is the right size...its just a matter of casting it in something that will do it justice. If anyone has any ideas, I am more than happy to listen.

As for the Bruce photo in the original pass; I have tried to INVERT the colors, but I get some spooky greens and blues, so I definately need some help on that one. I will make it worth your while, whoever can help.

Last note: Go ahead and email me or post here, if you still want to be on the list...and furthermore, go ahead and email or post which version of the pass you are interested in. I wont hold you to it...but it will help me get an idea on the printing. Once I get the original two (Korbin & Leeloo) graphics squared away, I will get more information regarding customized passes. -and yes, I will pull the price down for multiple orders.

Sorry its such a long boring update, but it had to be done.

As always...keep em comin'

RYan

TheShadowe
Aug 22nd, 2001, 11:23:41 PM
I want one...I am down for one...

TheShadowe
Aug 22nd, 2001, 11:24:21 PM
I am down for one...!

kimncris
Aug 23rd, 2001, 12:29:23 AM
Wow RYan those are looking Great!

I was noticing in Rayra's excellent screen cap that the graphics appear to be a separate "slide-in" insert on the movie version. Were you going to attempt this as well?

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1477575&a=11125853&p=53268197

I was also wondering if you had considered a kit version with the outer shell front and back pieces un-assembled in case we wanted to have a go at installing the electronics?

Once again- very cool! I can't believe you did all of that in one weekend! The lines are all so clean and crisp. What is the white material that you used for your prototype?

-cris

Skyler101
Aug 23rd, 2001, 12:36:05 AM
Please put me down for one...

I want one that can be modified, so I can have a personal multi-pass.

-Skyler101

hk729
Aug 23rd, 2001, 01:22:27 AM
can you email me the photo I will see what I can do to make the "blue"
I have five years in Photoshop 8p
hk729@yahoo.com

Army Scout
Aug 23rd, 2001, 01:34:51 AM
Im still in for a Korbin Pass!!!

Chris

*Edit* Changed my mind, Want a Korbin pass now....

SWFreak
Aug 23rd, 2001, 09:46:42 AM
I'm in - put me on the list for one (1)

Let me know when to send the money.

forttusken
Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:10:17 AM
What electronics were there? I don't recall. Not much room in there for more than some small LED's and a very small battery I'd imagine.

Sith Sheriff Brody
Aug 23rd, 2001, 04:52:56 PM
You *could* cram a couple of little button batteries and an LED in there, if you had to.

And I want in on a Korbin. Thanks.

-SSB

aljf
Aug 23rd, 2001, 04:56:13 PM
Ryan count me in also permy e-mail to you .

aljf............

kimncris
Aug 23rd, 2001, 09:07:39 PM
I think that's about all that was in there...

I seem to remember that a yellow LED lit when the big button was pressed- and maybe a red one lit at some point when the NG multipass was inserted into the reader... but I'd have to do some research to be sure...

ck

PHArchivist
Aug 23rd, 2001, 10:11:21 PM
I'd be interested... AmI to understand the cost is $25?

I can cast you some golf-ball sized, clear-resin, amber spheres if you need some.

Post if so...

ry27
Aug 23rd, 2001, 10:15:56 PM
Cris - I actually hadnt seen that photo that Rich posted until after the mold was made for this version, and unless I go back and milled out the center section of the original and re-molded it - I can think of any way to make the photo section sit lower than the rest of the pass. Although, I do only have about 15 resin passes done, so I guess remolding it wouldnt kill me...but at that point, I would have a bunch of leftover passes.
However, that photo brings up another point. I know as they are right now, the resin passes are slightly too "tall" on that outer ring...so I am sanding it down...HOWEVER, that photo looks to me like the amber colored piece inside the ring isnt domed all that much...it looks almost flat. What does everyone else think?
That dammed screencap is killing me...it makes me want to pick up the pass and turn it back and forth to get better proportions and ideas as to how it was built.

The prototype is actually 1/8" sheet delrin, and the different accent pieces are either acetal, styrene or delrin stock...the "grill" thingy was milled out on a milling lathe, with 1/16" slices taken out of it. The entire thing was glued and then ZAPped together to try to fill the gaps in it...and in retrospect, I should have cast it unassembled...that way I could have made changes to different parts of it. Alas.

I am glad people like it though...originally it was just going to be for my own collection (or until MattMunson gets his going :) )

Anyway...I know I said I would have the new graphics printed up tonight, but I am recovering after a long day of painting, thusly blowing enough 'off white' paint out of my nose to fill a small bucket. (I dont think there is an icon for that...I looked) - so tomorrow...I promise!

Thanks again to everyone for the interest
RYan

PS> I am pretty sure I can get the backs of them pretty cleaned up...clean enough that they dont look like crap anyway...but I will probably forgoe the details on the back of the card...lemme know what everyone thinks of that idea, as well.

PSS> PHarchivist definately email me...the clear resins I am using suck ass..and cutting acrylic spheres is dngerous on my fingers....shoot me an email ry27@uswest.net

PHArchivist
Aug 23rd, 2001, 10:30:13 PM
Email on it's way!

kimncris
Aug 23rd, 2001, 10:33:43 PM
well-remolded or not- that thing is still really awesome! :)

I need to spend more time at the plastics store- there are so many cool materials. Do you use a mini milling lathe like they sell at micro mark?

-cris

kimncris
Aug 23rd, 2001, 10:54:27 PM
I agree that the button looks almost flat. The coloring also caught my eye in Rayra's screencap - it seems much less amber. I'm wondering if it is an amber background with some sort of clear material over it???? Just a thought...

Also - don't know if you got the left picture worked out or not but on mine I was planning to use the "negative" effect in photoshop for that section - you might try it & see what you think...

:) Kim

PHArchivist
Aug 23rd, 2001, 10:55:01 PM
Emaild f'd up... Here's what I wrote:

"It's a clear casting resin, similar to the crap folks buy at Michael's, but an industrial brand.

The cool thing (don't know if you followed the thread started by Windu, carried on by me) is the shop I buy at has spherical glass molds with a funnel molded into in.

Catalyze the resin, and a few drops of the amber colorant, pour it in the mold, allow it to cure, break off the glass and voila' clear resin golf ball (no dimples!).

Molds are just under a buck, resin is lie $15 for 32 oz."

--PH

ry27
Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:48:17 PM
I tell you what PH...if we can all come to a concensus as to what we all think that area should look like, I am in for it...I have tried that Michaels crap, and mine turned out...well, like crap.

I think Kim might have it though...I was going to just use a clear semi-sphere, and use a colored background on it, so the yellow/amber would show through. What does everyone else think of that? I will try to get a "test" going with the acrylic this weekend.

If all goes well, I should have the Korbin graphics wrapped up and printed this weekend, and ready to ship out on Monday...but I will keep everyone informed.

Thanks again to everyone so far...this has been a kick

RYan
PS> Cris...that is exactly what I use...the Sherline lathe...dont let its size fool you, though...it can handle stainless steel up to 18" long and 1-7/8 in diameter. A little pricey for a small lathe/milling column...but well worth it. :)

kimncris
Aug 24th, 2001, 12:11:49 AM
oh man...now I really have to decide. Do I want a table saw or a saber making machine...

18" by 1 7/8 sounds perfect!

thanks for the tip! (Sorry for the slight hijack- but I am always interested when other people scratchbuild such cool stuff!)

-cris

Army Scout
Aug 24th, 2001, 02:12:54 PM
Hi All,
I watched to movie this morning, and guess what????

When you push the yellow glass eye the little red button to the right lights up!!!! I noticed this when they are in the terminal, and the young priest is acting like he is Korbin. When the ticket lady ask him for ID, he show his and pushes the button (1 hour 8 min 35 sec into the dvd). I also noticed it when the old priest gives Leloo her Pass, she pushed the yellow button (1 hour 8 min 0 sec).

Chris

ry27
Aug 25th, 2001, 06:08:32 PM
Oh, sure Scout...NOW you want lights too? :) :) :)
I am afraid this one may have to be the "stunt" prop, with no lights.
For what its worth, though...I think I have just about nailed it...I am finishing up the Korben graphics tonight, and the photo prints turned out amazing...if it hadnt been for the low res Burce photo...this would be much better looking. But, like I say, I am working on it, and I will wrap up the Korben passes tomorrow.
Here is one I took this afternoon, with the low-res Bruce graphics:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=782538&a=13652185&p=53364323

As always...there are more here:
albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=782538&a=13652185&f=0 (http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=782538&a=13652185&f=0)

In the meantime...I think I got the 'amber' thingy as well...its not perfect, but, well...neither is the pass. Where is Matt anyway???

However, I will start printing and packaging up the Korben passes Sunday if anyone still wants one...just shoot me an email. They are $30 unfinished with the photo, including shipping. I am shipping these via Priority mail, so they dont get crushed in a simple envelope.

Obviously PayPal is the best option, but Money Orders are cool, too...just drop me a line ry27@uswest.net and I can give you more info.

Thanks again

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=782538&a=13652185&p=53364324

PS> I am starting the LeeLoo passes tonight, as well...so I will drop another update later

RYan

Army Scout
Aug 25th, 2001, 06:55:33 PM
I WANT LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

Look great Ryan and Paypal sent!!!

Chris

ry27
Aug 25th, 2001, 07:01:18 PM
I tell you what...if someone can help get the electronics worked out...I will be happy to try to build another one, that will accept them. I watched the movie again, and Scout is right...when the button is pressed, the little white box actually turns red. Essentially, if there were a little tiny light under a peice of clear acrylic (that would look white) I am sure it would work.

Anyway...just pipe dreams maybe, as I know less about electronics than I do about taking photos (and we all know how bad those are turning out :) )

RYan

Sith Sheriff Brody
Aug 25th, 2001, 11:18:08 PM
Mmm...

I've got a keychain light that was a promo-giveaway type thing.

Just molded rubber with space for two tiny button batteries and an LED. Press on the rubber, the LED leads make a circuit, and viola!

You could probably just use a larger, flatter button battery to make it fit better...

Stack like so:

----
OOO \
OOO =D
OOO /
----

Just pretend that looks OK. Get the picture? You then insert a small circle of foam with a hole cut out inbetween one of the LED leads & the battery so the whole goddam shebang reacts like a momentary switch.

Were you taking notes? This will be on the final.

-SSB

Bobbywan
Aug 26th, 2001, 11:27:28 AM
Im interested in a pass:)

~Bobby

bobbywan@medford.net

Sith Sheriff Brody
Aug 26th, 2001, 02:00:46 PM
My keychain works on two "AG 10" button cells. Like that helps. Diameter: 7/16ths, height: just under 1/8th.

-SSB

Dann
Aug 26th, 2001, 03:39:05 PM
I really like the "slide-in" idea that Matt was working on, but you're so far into now, you may not wanna go back.
Dont get me wrong, its FRICKEN incredible.

I just think I'l wait for a slidey one, whether you do it, or Matt does it.

Awesome new pics BTW!!!

ry27
Aug 26th, 2001, 06:38:28 PM
OK, Gang...I finally fininshed the graphix on both the Korben pass & the Leeloo pass.
Korben:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=782538&a=13652185&p=53410009
Leeloo:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=782538&a=13652185&p=53410010

*** Artistic liscence disclaimer*** from the screencaps, I was able to gather the 'closest' photo I could find to Leeloo's actual pass...its not 100%, but its too blurry in the movie to tell. Plus, her photo actually has a black background, and NO purple/yellow bars on the "x-ray" photo...but I put them in for continuity.
That being said...these are finally done...I have printed out 6 of each, and I am ready to ship these out. The unfinished kits include: the raw resin pass, the graphix printed on photo-stock by a photo printer and the gold/amber button.
They are being priced as follows:
-- Korben- $30 shipped
-- Leeloo- $30 shipped
-- Both Korben & Leeloo- $50 shipped
-- Any customized work- $30 shipped
-If you are ordering more than two, just email me and we'll see what we can work out.
PayPal is still the coolest way to go, but as always, Money Orders work, too.

I appreciate all the help on these...its been a real kick lately.
-as far as the electronics go...I really wouldnt know where to start...I am sure its probably very easy to put something in them, but I will just leave that up to everyones discretion. If you are bent on putting them in...email me, and perhaps I can work out a deal in which I can send an 'extra' resin pass, to screw around with.

Anyway...thanks again
RYan
PS> Army Scout...yours goes out Monday =}

aljf
Aug 26th, 2001, 06:53:41 PM
Ya gots mail !!!!!

TK648
Aug 26th, 2001, 07:06:17 PM
RY
You have mail

Andrew
TK648

Razmeister
Aug 26th, 2001, 08:13:25 PM
Ry,

Please put me down for 2 Korben Dallas Multi Passes. These are BEAUTIFUL!

How much more are you charging for finished replicas?

Also, I have an excellent source in the prop business who specializes in SMT (surface mount technology) circuits - he could light that puppy up with his eyes closed and one hand tied behind his back. He made the Matrix Bugs and is responsible for the burning ember "Eye of Horus" circuit on my Tomb Raider Clock of Ages project. He's also involved in some licensed prop replicas currently being developed. To say he's a creative and technical genius and very affordable would be a gross understatement.

E-mail me if you'd like to be introduced.

Guy

PHArchivist
Aug 26th, 2001, 09:34:26 PM
Ry, put me down for one Korben...

Also, do you have a version for General Munroe (Brion James)?

ry27
Aug 26th, 2001, 11:20:05 PM
PH - I am sure I could do the Brion James version...I will try to work one out tomorrow

- to anyone else interested...feel free to either email me for payment info ry27@uswest.net or just go ahead and trudge forward through PayPal.
Obviously, PayPallers will go out in the mail tomorrow :)

Thanks again to everyone who helped this along...I never thought it would get this far.

RYan

FunkyJedi
Aug 27th, 2001, 12:49:49 AM
I'll take a Korben pass! E-mail away...!

MattMunson
Aug 28th, 2001, 08:54:11 PM
BUMP!

ry27, looks good!

I haven't read through this whole thread yet, but there's a lot of good info here, so I thought I would bump it.

Yer graphics are pretty darn close. The font used for the word "Multi Pass" is a little off. I had to make a custom font for an exact match. Looks like you're using Helvetica for the regular text, which is pretty darn close. Looks really great.

I really should get off my butt and do this too! :>

jediscout
Aug 28th, 2001, 10:21:36 PM
Ry, those look great!

Good job, as usual. :)

ry27
Aug 29th, 2001, 12:26:38 AM
Matt - Indeed you should!
(wait a minute...you made up your own font???...I am just a lowly construction worker...what do I know about making fonts) :)

FWIW I am between emails with a bloke about adding surface mounted electronics to the passes, so I may just remold the original copy, -redoing it in the process...with the recessed picture area.

All the finished passes go out tomorrow...you know who you are!

RYan

ry27
Aug 29th, 2001, 01:25:16 AM
PH and a couple of other people asked about this, so I kicked one out tonight.
The General Munro Multipass:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=782538&a=13652185&p=53513958
Silly?...yup. But I guess necessary for the entire "collection" ;)

Anyway...I just wanted to let people know that I am willing to do personal passes...with your own picture and info on them...they probably wont pass as fake ID, but hey: we are geeks -and we stand tall and act like geeks when out in public. (actually, my girlfriend wont let me carry mine out in public...its too embarrasing when I 'whip it out')

Thanks again
RYan

Razmeister
Aug 29th, 2001, 03:32:33 AM
Ry,

That Brion James MP looks awesome!!! I may just have to triple up! ;)

But he'll always be Leon, the Nexus 6 Replicant to me... RIP!

Guy

forttusken
Aug 29th, 2001, 11:24:08 AM
Hmm. I may have to wait to see what is in store for the next version. I like the slide out idea. Lights would be cool too if it isn't too much more expensive. With slide out cards you could have one electronic pass with multiple cards.

Dann
Aug 29th, 2001, 01:09:24 PM
Same here, I like the slideout, and think I'll wait for it.

Ry and Matt, maybe you dudes should share ideas and stuff and come up w/an ultimate (yet modestly priced) MP!

You BOTH do RAD work, so it'd be like, RAD to the 2nd power.....or somethin'.....

General Urko
Aug 30th, 2001, 02:18:47 PM
Ryan,

Is your text/info for the General Munro MP accurate (name, address, personal info, photo numbers, etc.)? Or did you just make it up/wing it/guess? If they are accurate, where did you get the info from?

What about the Leeloo one? Is that accurate?

Looks good. :)

Thanks,
Chris

MattMunson
Aug 30th, 2001, 02:42:43 PM
I reached a dead end on my search for a good quality pic of Bruce in that beret with the gotee. I was banking on the phone card version having a good photo, but the dude who mentioned it earlier in the thread confirms that not only is it a different picture, but it's distorted in some way.

So I guess the best I'm going to be able to do is get a really high res scan out of the french fifth element book and then crush it in photoshop until it looks good. Kinda sad, but I guess that's the way it goes.

The leeloo one looks really good. I dunno if it makes any difference to you, but on the Korben card, the photo on the right is actually a different photo than the one that is reversed on the left. Minor detail, but thought you might care :>

Either way, thanks for injecting some momentum into this. Can't wait for some reviews to start comin' in.

rayra
Aug 30th, 2001, 03:03:58 PM
psssst. I think there is a fine / capture-able shot of Dallas in the scene where he first wakes up, and his arm knocks over his trophy/award and the picture of him and his wife.
He hold it up for a frame or three.

Be right back, checking.

czjxm7
Aug 30th, 2001, 05:16:32 PM
Matt, I'll get you those scans of the phone cards tomorrow, I hope. Jon.

rayra
Aug 30th, 2001, 05:20:43 PM
no joy.
Only about 5-6 frames of the Korbin wedding pic, and here's the best I could get (pretty useless for badge purposes):

http://home.earthlink.net/~rayra/5th/korbwedding.jpg

Here's a few other pass grabs, as well as a decent shot of the back:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rayra/5th/imkorbin.jpg http://home.earthlink.net/~rayra/5th/leeloopass.jpg http://home.earthlink.net/~rayra/5th/leeloopass2.jpg http://home.earthlink.net/~rayra/5th/passslot.jpg http://home.earthlink.net/~rayra/5th/passback.jpg

MattMunson
Aug 30th, 2001, 05:21:35 PM
Jon, I may not need them. If the pic of bruce is not the one of him in the beret, then it's not of much use to me. Thanks for the offer though! :>

Rayra, I know the scene you're talking bout, and i'm pretty sure it's a different photo. Bummer.

czjxm7
Aug 30th, 2001, 05:30:25 PM
I'll send them anyhow, maybe they will be of some use in the future. There is a Cornelius and a Zorg Card that could be used for more variety if need be. At any rate, I'll try, Jon.

ry27
Aug 31st, 2001, 09:53:02 AM
-As far as I know, none of the info on the Munro pass is accurate...well, maybe the name and photo, but thats about it. ;) When he holds his pass up to Leeloo in the begining, you cant make out much at all...and that photo is the closest I could find to his screen pass. (keep in mind, that I suck at Photoshop, at best)
-Leeloos pass, I assumed was just like Korbens...when Cornelius gives her and Korben "David" Dallas...they probably both have his (Cornelius's) address, and info...but I dont know where to get that either...so I compromised. It can certainly be changed.

I know Bruce's twho photos are different...I kept it that way, because everyone is used to seeing that pass around the net...I didnt want to screw up 'tradition'. As far as I can tell, Leeloo's, Davids and Munro's passes all use the same photos for both pictures on the passes. (again...not big on Photoshop to begin with:) )

I apologize for the delay in getting these out this week...I know I said I would...so in lieu of my tardiness...I just finsihed them all...so nobody will have to do anything to them (If thats not what you wanted...I apologize again)
I promise, promise that they will all go out this weekend, Priority mail...so drop a line AS soon as you get them.

-PS> Matt...I definately want to see how you do the Korben one....as a Photoshop rookie-to-the-extreme; graphic design is almost starting to interest me :)

Thanks again, all
RYan

czjxm7
Aug 31st, 2001, 04:08:03 PM
Matt, scans sent. Hope we can use them, Jon.

MattMunson
Aug 31st, 2001, 04:16:43 PM
Got the scans. Pretty helpful as far as the text goes, but a dead end for the Korben pic. Still, it saved me the trouble of actually hunting an original down. Thanks for the scans.

Ry, if you want to make your leeloo card more accurate, here is the information from the phone card:

(this part goes in the first yellow rectangle.)
Full Name:
Leeloo Minai Lekatariba Laminatchai ekbat De sebat

(this part goes in the first white rectangle, under the name)
Sex:F. HR: RED. EYES:GRN
HT:5'9" WT:120 DOB: UNKNOWN
BLOOD TYPE: UNKNOWN
VIRAL STATUS: UNKNOWN

(This part is in the second yellow rect)
DRIVING LICENSE:
NOT AVAILABLE

Hope that helps.
I'm just finishing up my super ultra polished version of the three little cards that are at the bottom of the text informatin. There's a visa, an AMEX, and an AT&T logo. My fellow ronins helped me dig up eps versions of 2, and a high res scan of one of them. I think the only thing left for my graphics isthe pic of bruce, and I'm hoping to nail that down this weekend.

ry27
Sep 1st, 2001, 10:34:24 AM
Matt - I still cant wait to see the polish...er, polished version of the passes ;)

in the meantime, I was going to put her entire name and other info on the card I did...but Cornelius actually reads her name off to her as Leeloo Dallas...so I just put that. I figure "customs" at the travel place probably wouldnt take too lightly to a 'passport' that had some unknown's in it, either...so I just made it all up. Plus, I just guessed at her height and weight...(I had to make her weigh more than my girlfriend, so she wouldnt be pissed at me :) )

Anyway...definately post your finshed product when you wrap it up.

RYan

kimncris
Sep 1st, 2001, 02:09:13 PM
I agree. I am pretty sure that Leeloo's Multipass is a Fake ID :)

She is supposed to be Korben's wife- and she even looks at it and says "Leeloo Dallas Mul-Ti-Pass."

I think her info is probably almost all the same as Korbens.

(But I do not have any proof or anthing- so I will just shut up now.)

-cris

MattMunson
Sep 2nd, 2001, 03:00:37 PM
yeah, if youre going for film accuracy, you'll definately want it to say LeeLoo dallas.

in other news, I hooked up with Rayra yesterday at the farscape con, and he gave me a whole CD full of pics of the "gimme the casssssh" guy, and I showed him my version of the little dance he does. he was impressed!!!!!

ry27
Sep 2nd, 2001, 05:37:40 PM
Now what we need to see is a side-by-side animated GIF of the "gimme-da-cash" guy and Matt doing the little 'you like the hat' dance. That would be worth a few props! :)

RY

Sith Sheriff Brody
Sep 2nd, 2001, 06:09:15 PM
For the little cards at the bottom, you can 'borrow' from these guys:

www.gopromos.com/idea_cen...type=L&Q=A (http://www.gopromos.com/idea_center/stock_art_alpha.asp?type=L&Q=A)

If you need them.

-SSB

rayra
Sep 4th, 2001, 08:09:31 PM
ahem - I think my words were something more like, "you do that too well" :)

[hmm... animated GIF...]

Ry, those look really great - is the darkish gray of the Multi Pass body the final color or is it a base / primer coat?
And are you attempting the back side as well?

MattMunson
Sep 6th, 2001, 04:20:54 PM
Just wanted to see if anyone had gotten theirs yet. I'm very excited/curious to see how they come out.

TK002
Sep 6th, 2001, 05:39:43 PM
Hey, for that pic of bruce Willis in the goattea. Didn't he wear one in 7 monkey's? His face could be clipped into TFE costume and beret pasted over him. I'm not sure just throwing out an idea for a clearer pic. :cool:

SWFreak
Sep 7th, 2001, 08:50:02 AM
ry27,
I'm still in for a Korben pass. Let me know how, when and where to send the money.

Thanks

MattMunson
Sep 10th, 2001, 01:40:24 PM
Just bumping this to keep the information contained herein around for a while longer.

ry27
Sep 10th, 2001, 09:08:36 PM
You are such a great guy, Matt...for what its worth, I have a few Blemished passes...some that the mold didnt pour correctly, or with the spotty graphics just to test the fit of them - for sale for pretty cheap...say $15 shipped each. I probably only have 3 or 4, but if you want em...email me.

In the meantime...anyone who hasnt checked this out:
pub2.ezboard.com/fswvstitanicfrm21.showMessage?topicID=3915.topic (http://pub2.ezboard.com/fswvstitanicfrm21.showMessage?topicID=3915.topic)
do it now, dammit...I understand the guy doing the artwork is a pretty decent guy to work with :)

Plus, this is just a meaningless bump for those who are still interested

RYan

forttusken
Sep 17th, 2001, 11:15:42 AM
Bump!