PDA

View Full Version : Holy $#!% it's the Holy Grail!!!

TheLivingForce
Sep 14th, 2001, 02:53:28 AM
Hi All!!

I just wanted to report a find of those who have not already spotted it. Someone is selling one the screen used props of as the subject says..The Holy Grail!! This on seems to be sporting an interesting protrusion in the back to control its landing on the little ledge at the end of the film "Indiana...Indiana...Let it go..."If anybody won the lottery lately:lol: this can be yours! here is a link...

cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1465026192 (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1465026192)

-Neal

PaulF2000
Sep 16th, 2001, 02:25:33 AM
Notice how they don't show a picture of the actual prop. Buyer beware all of those auctions look a little weird to me. I have an original Braveheart sword that Mel uses in the first battle. Mel takes the sword away from a soldier and hacks his leg off. I have the sword Simon Atherton gave Martin Askels, it's a hero blood sword. It comes with full paperwork and the one on ebay is so different. Mine will make it's way to ebay soon, keep watching, will have the full letter photographed with the sword.

If the photo doesn't match what's in the book, and that grail looks different in shape and color to me, don't go in for the hype, ask for better pictures and do your homework. A lot of people get fooled by something framed with a couple of photos.

Paul

ViperPilot
Sep 16th, 2001, 02:34:47 AM
I agree with Paul. They're talking about $20,000 grails and they can't even bother to take theirs from behind glass to take a stinking picture.

Beware.

VP

Wampa
Sep 16th, 2001, 02:33:19 PM
Agreed as well, you'll notice the "b+W scan" pic is actually copped off a previous auction (and has been posted at INDYGEAR for some time now).

I mean, if you've got the $8000 (which i believe was the price the one with the rolling mech sold for) then i think you might just have a $70 color printer. LOL

I would stay far away from this auction till REAL and NEW pics are shown of the item in the display
tom

hypospray
Sep 16th, 2001, 05:39:59 PM
i am skeptical as well, but isn't the shadowbox display (with all the pictures in it) supposed to be his grail ?

Wampa
Sep 16th, 2001, 05:48:29 PM
yes,hypo, it is supposed to be his, but for this valuable an item, you would expect abteer shot of it. from that distance it could be anyone's replica of the grail.
tom

PHArchivist
Sep 16th, 2001, 09:35:11 PM
Not stating judgements, just facts.

PF, they ARE showing a pic (ableit not a very clear one) of what they are claiming to be the posted item--the shadow box. You can see the black bar protruding from the right side.

I have seen this display (or one JUST like it) in person. It has been housed at a store in the new DownTown Disney complex called Star-O-Bilia (was that mentioned in the Ebay post?). I saw it there about 6 months ago, don't know if it's still there today. The retail price you could buy it for was posted, though I'm not sure I should repeat it here since it is an active auction.

In person, I could see nothing to confirm or deny its authenticity, though I'm not a grail "expert". It did appear to have a textured finish, almost as if there was fine sand in the paint, or the base material was like sandstone. It was displayed facing out a store window, and the shadow box also had glass or plexi over it. Gee, funny how my pics turned out pretty poor.

This store also had the (or a...) BraveHeart sword. It is certainly NOT the Wallace sword. It appears to be a plastic stunt version, and the blade has two different widths, stepped about one third up making it narrower.

Keep in mind, I'm commenting on what I saw at a retail store in public, not passgn judgement on the items in this auction.

--PH

Lan Jenn
Sep 17th, 2001, 12:01:26 AM
I'm wondering why George Lucas would part with it anyway. I think he has never auctioned off anything or ever sold anything to private collectors. I know he donated the fedora to a museum but never sold it.

I agree about the no pictures thing, too. Someones ripping people off.

Lan

QuartZ
Sep 17th, 2001, 02:25:13 AM
PH,

I saw the same grail display as you did at Downtown Disney last month. It look exactly like the one in the auction, with photos and all. The price they wanted at that star-a-bilia place was rediculous.

Doh, silly us, the sellers name is starabil and the location is Orlando Florida. Further investigation into their other auctions shows a Braveheart sword too.

It's Starabilia, here's a quote from the braveheart auction:

"STARABILIAS HAS RETAIL MEMORABILIA LOCATIONS AT BOTH DOWNTOWN DISNEY IN ORLANDO AND ANAHEIM. THIS PIECE HAS BEEN IN THE PRIVATE COLLECTION OF THE CEO OF OUR COMPANY, AND WILL BE OFFERED FOR SALE ONLY ONCE. IF NOT SOLD IT WILL GO BACK INTO HIS PERSONAL COLLECTION."

-Dana

TheLivingForce
Sep 17th, 2001, 06:40:33 AM
So this appears to be the real deal, right?

PaulF2000
Sep 17th, 2001, 01:56:42 PM
Living-"So this appears to be the real deal, right?"

RIIIGHT!, No really it's as good as you get.

All joking aside, that grail in the photo doesn't even come close to the real grail. The one David is selling on his site looks better and it's wrong. If they were so confident in the piece, why not take better photos. The black and white photo is from Cinefantastic.

As for Disney, they sold a Rocketteer popcorn winder from a cart as a real puppet from the film. They don't know what they have or where it came from. I wouldn't trust them either.

If it is real, and I doubt that, they are doing themselves a great dis-service by advertising the way they are. If it were real, I would buy it for resale, but not with those photos.

Paul

TheLivingForce
Sep 17th, 2001, 04:30:05 PM
Thanks Paul:)

...and to everyone else's input on this "supposed" prop. If I was this seller, I would be taking TONS of shots of this piece, and defintiely doing some comparing shot angles to several stills from the movie itself. I remember there being a prop Idol being sold on ebay, and they took many shots compared to this seller. Well, I hope the buyer gets what he paid for.

-Neal