PDA

View Full Version : Matrix of Leadership - my new Transformers Prop!!!

gw2tulsa
Aug 5th, 2001, 06:11:40 PM
Yup, thats right, its the good ole Matrix of Leadership from Transformers: The Movie.

I've had this sitting on my shelf as a concept prototype for over a year and finally got the bug to finish it up. I still need to make some tweaks and add the Spark Core, but I thought everyone would like to see it in its current state.

I'll be ordering new RTv and Resin this next week so hopefully I can have a few ready in time for the October Plano Show if I decide to go...

Here are two pics of the piece:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=149561&a=1167750&p=52579764

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=149561&a=1167750&p=52579767

So, whaddya all think? :)

Happy Propping,
Gary Weaver II
GW2 Designs

hydin
Aug 5th, 2001, 06:16:41 PM
looks awesome! what scale is it? 1:1 <jesus thats huge> or more to the 1:6th area where its not as huge.

i like it. whats the idea for the spark/jewel?

chris

gw2tulsa
Aug 5th, 2001, 06:22:15 PM
I don't have any idea of the Scale except that it's "human" scale :)

As for size ts 15" Wide with a 6" diameter Core.

Right now my Spark will just be a 3"-4" sphere with some fancy interior paint job. I may talk to Jim Shima about a nice little white or blue little LED gizmo inside a frosted sphere that flickers around.

Right now I'm more concerned with the frame and core :)

Happy Propping,
Gary Weaver II
GW2 Designs

mr guy of sci fi
Aug 5th, 2001, 06:53:28 PM
Cool! I've been waiting a while to see your matrix..

shellspark
Aug 5th, 2001, 07:17:44 PM
That is spectacular. I can't believe my eyes

Biker Scott
Aug 5th, 2001, 07:24:30 PM
Looks great! I'd like to hear the methods you used to build it!!!

Jedi Ed No
Aug 5th, 2001, 08:45:59 PM
That is awesome!! Ive always wanted to see one of these. Didnt some other board members have one of these in the works before?

Ed

gw2tulsa
Aug 5th, 2001, 09:45:57 PM
I remember someone called Matix Maker or something like that was looking into it, but I don't know if it went anywhere. I think the pricing of what they had planned put alot of members off on the project. I actually had the prototype for this sitting around for a few months before I even saw them on the board. I stayed off from doing it to see if and when they would post again. I thought it was about time I got this one finished though. i think I had to take about 1/16" layer of dust off the protptype before I got restarted.

If they are still around, I'd love to hear their status...

Happy Propping,
Gary Weaver II

obiwan shinobi
Aug 5th, 2001, 10:34:51 PM
man, that is sweet!!

i remember when i was a kid and used to dream about holding the Matrix in my hands :)

be sure to post some pics of the finished product!

Unmarked White Convoy
Aug 6th, 2001, 01:50:18 AM
Wow! Nice job on that! I can't wait to see it finishied!

Double T
Aug 6th, 2001, 02:14:20 AM
Oh man, first I'm being taunted by all the new Vehicle Transformers that I'm seeing out, now THIS?

Awesome work, man. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Tony

obiwan shinobi
Aug 6th, 2001, 06:06:20 AM
btw, does the Matrix open, like the movie version?

Urban Assault Ramjet
Aug 6th, 2001, 10:59:10 AM
How much would that sucker cost if you decided to sell them?

Boo-yeah.

fortressmaximus7
Aug 6th, 2001, 12:46:16 PM
oooooh, nice, how much?

forceofvader
Aug 6th, 2001, 01:32:01 PM
I held this thing in my hands and thought Oh My Lord It's awesome!!!

gw2tulsa
Aug 6th, 2001, 03:17:08 PM
hey Mike, I'm glad you liked it. It looks even better now :)

Now for some questions...

Will it split? Yes, sorta. just to build it I am making it in the proper halves like in the movie. If you are building it up yourself then you could figure out how to do it. Myself, I plan to leave it static and unopenable. I don't want to mess with getting that Spark to stay in place.

Price? I honestly don't know yet. I don't want to make it overly expensive (ala $300+), but it will ultimately depend on finish and labor involved in making them. I will also be looking to trade as well for some GEN1 Act 1,2, or 3 PVCs as well as the Gen1 transformers Reissues :)

Happy Propping,
Gary

Docking Bay 93
Aug 6th, 2001, 06:55:19 PM
Gary...

That looks very very sweet. I was thinking about the flashy part, and I remembered that Natural Wonders and Store of Knowledge used to carry these great little balls with flashing leds inside. I think that those stores are both out of business (at least in Seattle), but I'm pretty sure the company that made them is called Playmates. They make a ton of that kind of stuff...the balls you squeeze and all the goop moves around inside. They were only around 2-3 inches in diamter, but I'm thinking that you could use the inside electronics.

If you can't find these, or have any problems, I think my wife still has a buddy that works for them, and it's possible that she could get some, if they made them in the first place. I don't even know exactly how you'd use it, as it was activated when you shook it. It might be possible to re-wire it or something. Of course, it could be too big a pain in the tookas for ya. Lemmie know what you find.

Again, excellent job!

Stay on Target...

dockingbay93@hotmail.com

cryoguns
Aug 6th, 2001, 07:05:31 PM
That is some very nice work there, Gary :) I'd love to see this piece finished!!

I do however have a question on the grips...is there a particular reason the fingerholes aren't cut out? Was wondering if it was a structural thing or just too much of a pain or such. There are some other niggles here and there, but that's the only one that really seems to stand out.

Anyways, great work!!

Fish - Hell, you're certainly not the only one! :)

gw2tulsa
Aug 6th, 2001, 07:31:35 PM
Cryo-

I wondered when anyone would catch that - good call.

Actually they are not cut out for a reason. I plan to relief them a little more, but will not go all the way through. When I go to mold it those holes run the chance of catching air bubbles. I thought it would be easier to just chisel them out when they are done. Of course, with as lazy as I am I may go ahead and take them all the way though on the master :)

There are still a few add ons to the sphere I need to machine before I mold the piece up. Like I said its still not finished...

-Gary

cryoguns
Aug 6th, 2001, 07:45:54 PM
Ahhh...that explains it, thanks :) I do have some screencaps of the DVD version if you need for reference...but I think it looks pretty damn good as is right now!

Either way, definitely looking forward to the finished product!

mr guy of sci fi
Aug 7th, 2001, 04:55:12 AM
actually depending on the movie shot of the matrix, the design varies alot. The formetioned finger holes appear in some shots to be closed with some type a panel plug, in others they are definitely open. Maybe it would be best to offer them either way.

Another large inconsistancy is in eyelets on top of the matrix. Depending on wich character is holding it the matrix has them or not. When optimus has it in his chest they are not present. Only until galvatron gets it does it have the eyelets in it for the chain he wares it on.Yet again when galvatron and hotrod are fighting over it there are no eyelets, instead there is a half way imbeded chain on each half of the matrix. Then again after hotrod gets a hold of it and starts opening it up, the eyelets dissappear. Again all are correct and could be offered as some kind of choice....

gw2tulsa
Aug 7th, 2001, 07:34:12 AM
MGSF-

I noticed that too. I guess continuity goes out the window when you do animation :) I think I will just cut out the top layer of sheet plastic. That will give the plug effect and also allow the option of removing the innards if someone wants to go through that effort...

-Happy Propping,
Gary

Propazoid
Aug 7th, 2001, 10:50:06 AM
That just ROCKS!! If there is gonna be any type of waiting list please make me the first :) ...GREAT WORK!!!

-Zoid

mr guy of sci fi
Aug 9th, 2001, 08:04:26 PM
(bump) what happened to the pics?

gw2tulsa
Aug 9th, 2001, 10:00:20 PM
I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Photopoint is on the temporary fritz again.... They should be there anytime...

In other TF news I'm starting on something a little smaller that if it works out like I want will be even cooler than this :)

Happy Propping,
Gary Weaver II
GW2 Designs

Raijin Z
Aug 10th, 2001, 09:45:47 PM
Put one of these in it.

http://jigoku.studio-zoe.com/temp/shmatrix.jpg

Sith Sheriff Brody
Aug 10th, 2001, 11:48:01 PM
Nice trick.

-SSB

Tony Bacala
Aug 12th, 2001, 04:42:59 AM
I want one, just tell me how much, has to be under $1,000,000 tho.

hk729
Aug 17th, 2001, 03:44:00 PM
bump..

Spittor
Aug 21st, 2001, 03:01:19 PM
wow!

i really want that!

it would be really cool if you could get a cystal in it :)

gw2tulsa
Aug 21st, 2001, 03:04:15 PM
Update 9-21-01

My RTV just came in this week and I need to tweak a few things on the master. I also need to machine up some of the add on pieces for the master as well.

hopefully I can have the molds started in about two weeks.

With the pregnant wife and getting the house ready for the baby, I just don't have as much time as I used to :)

Happy Propping,
Gary

hk729
Aug 23rd, 2001, 01:57:23 AM
is there a list to be put on?
I must have one (fell like Galvatron)
thanks,
hk729@yahoo.com

gw2tulsa
Aug 23rd, 2001, 07:41:12 AM
No lists as of yet. I want to make sure it will work before I to that level...

Happy Propping,
Gary Weaver II

westies14
Aug 23rd, 2001, 09:30:51 AM
There are a lot of first posts in this thread! Did someone tip off a transformers board or something? Not that it's a bad thing (it's even good if you decide to sell them)...

ShackMan
Aug 23rd, 2001, 09:36:40 AM
Congrats on the upcoming event Gary. Kinda sorry to hear about it though ... you have that neat workshop and all that free-time now. Just be sure you treasure every propping moment you can right now ... so it'll be imbedded in your memory for after the baby gets here. ;)

ATM

hk729
Aug 23rd, 2001, 02:39:26 PM
is there a Transformers board?
whats the addy please...

"Am NOT CRAZY!"-Galvatron

wanna b warrior
Aug 25th, 2001, 12:40:43 AM
You know you could try and find one of those small plasma ball you see at spencer gifts or some kinda science store and put it around the matrix, that might work as a spark.

mr guy of sci fi
Aug 26th, 2001, 02:42:31 AM
Transformer board? there ain't no stinking transformer board. There's not even one at this address pub13.ezboard.com/btheallspark (http://pub13.ezboard.com/btheallspark). ;)

Raijin Z
Aug 26th, 2001, 02:58:21 AM
The board I came from was over at Transfandom, but they have a new rule against swearing, which is something I can't give up, so to hell with that board. Feel free to frequent it if you so desire, but I'm not ever going back there.

SinkTube Jedi
Aug 26th, 2001, 08:45:44 AM
Gary, Real nice!!!

hk729
Aug 27th, 2001, 07:01:22 PM
any news?
bump-o

mr guy of sci fi
Sep 6th, 2001, 03:24:34 AM
bump, till all are one! -<bumpage>-

hk729
Sep 17th, 2001, 06:49:25 PM