PDA

View Full Version : From Hell — Jack, the Ripper

Sith Sheriff Brody
Sep 17th, 2001, 02:51:53 PM
Don't worry; no spoilers.

I'm sure you all know about the JtR movie coming out soon: "From Hell", starring Johnny Depp as a police detective / our hero.

It's based on a long graphic novel of the same name. I just finished reading it, and I highly recommend it. Very well done, with plenty of helpful appendix notes.

Anyway, one of the final scenes features our hero contemplating retiring, and he looks at a Pinkerton business card. Pinkerton was sort of a private, for-hire detective group in the states. The graphic novel shows only a sketchy card, but I took the plunge and did up one myself. Quite nice, too, I think. I dunno if this'll be in the movie, but it's kinda fun to have. It's about a 30kB grayscale GIF, if you want it. Print it out, shrink it down, and you're all set. Just e-mail me and ask. I would've put it online, but Geocities seems to be on the fritz. I might yet.

Anyone else wanna chime in? Been scratching out the 'from hell' letter, have you? Got a kidney, do you? Post here.

-SSB, from He—UCF

Axlotl
Sep 17th, 2001, 03:26:07 PM
One of the old "Time-Life" illustrated history of the west books ("...Once shot a man for snoring..."-you remember those) has a whole chapter on Pinkerton and an illustration of his real business card. Your local library probably has it, if you want to really do this up right.

Sith Sheriff Brody
Sep 17th, 2001, 03:26:56 PM
Yeah, well, I don't. ;)

-SSB

Axlotl
Sep 17th, 2001, 03:30:34 PM
Sorry, just trying to help.
No offense meant.

Sith Sheriff Brody
Sep 17th, 2001, 03:32:07 PM
None taken, help appreciated. I just like my prop the way it is; not so much replica as it is my interpretation.

-SSB

Sith Sheriff Brody
Sep 17th, 2001, 08:01:57 PM
Here's a goodie >:D

www.casebook.org/images/lusk_big.jpg (http://www.casebook.org/images/lusk_big.jpg)

THE letter!

-SSB

Probe Droid
Sep 17th, 2001, 08:27:17 PM
I've been studying the JTR case for 25 years and the whole "From Hell" mason thing is total crap. A hell of a story though, but that's all it is. I'm glad you posted a link to the Casebook, which is the best site on the subject. I've been connected with Stephen Ryder, who runs the site, for years.

darth genius
Sep 17th, 2001, 08:31:57 PM
For those of you who like From Hell (the graphic novel) might I sugest the following:

Watchmen
V For Vendetta
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

All are by the same author, Alan Moore, who is generally regarded as the greatest writer to ever contribute to the sequential art medium.

Sith Sheriff Brody
Sep 17th, 2001, 08:35:10 PM
Aw poo. It is a great story.

Anyway, here's my new page with THE letter and the business card:

www.geocities.com/voktobreh/Hell.html (http://www.geocities.com/voktobreh/Hell.html)

I hope your friend doesn't mind if I 'borrow' his letter pic.

Catch me when you can...
-SSB

Sith Sheriff Brody
Sep 17th, 2001, 08:52:06 PM
Okay, added a link to the Casebook site.

-SSB