PDA

View Full Version : How do you take enamel paint off of resin?

peace hunter
Sep 17th, 2001, 07:40:34 PM
Exactly as it reads :/ I messed up and thought I could brush on some enamel on a kit I am working on. It looked pretty good till the paint dried. Now it looks like Sh**t.

Robert

Ham Solo
Sep 17th, 2001, 07:48:39 PM
I've used a paint stripper called Bix Stripper and have never had a problem using it on resin. I'm sure some other paint strippers will work, but I'd read the label carefully first. ;) :)

dropshipbob
Sep 17th, 2001, 07:55:12 PM
Try Easy Of oven cleaner. Someone mentioned this same technique a few days ago...so maybe he/she will come in and explain better? I think what it boiled down to was setting the item in a container of this oven cleaner...but NOT letting it sit overnight...or even for an extremely long time...a few hours may be best. This should start to take off the paint. However....please wear a face mask/dust mask while doing this as the vapors may be VERY unhealthy. Also wear gloves while messing with this chemical s it may cause problems with your skin. All around, just play it safe with this stuff. Someone mentioned Acetone (fingernail polish remover) and that it might do the trick, but it can potentialy cause liver damage. No resin item is worth that.
Hope this aids in getting the ball rolling.

philippes
Sep 17th, 2001, 08:02:48 PM
Hardware store paint stripper is the safest material to use; it's designed to remove paint without harming the base.

Some strippers may slightly soften the resin. As long as you don't allow the resin to soak forever, this isn't a problem.

Phil

peace hunter
Sep 17th, 2001, 08:54:48 PM
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the info :)

Robert.

Duke Chad
Sep 17th, 2001, 09:25:03 PM
I used laquer thinner once without any major problems....again do not let it sit in the thinner for very long. Simply dip a toohbrush into the thinner and use some elbow grease to get the paint off the resin piece.

A few pinholes came up on the weak parts of the mold due to me leaving it in a tad too long but nothing a little putty and sanding couldn't fix.:)

DC

peace hunter
Sep 17th, 2001, 09:30:51 PM
Thanks for the info Duke :)

Robert