PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get this chromed?

Quest100
Sep 15th, 2001, 05:34:59 PM
I have a GT anodized aluminum Obi-Wan ANH saber knob here that I want to get chromed. I guess the anodizing will have to be stripped off first though. Is there anyone here that can do this for me, or who knows of a place that will do it? If so, how much will it cost? Here's a pic. Thanks! :)

http://www.compwarehouse.f2s.com/images/sinkknob.jpg

-Jon
jonwallace@cfl.rr.com

pettibone2375
Sep 15th, 2001, 09:08:22 PM
I have a budy that owns a rim polishing shop.

He sends his items out to a chromer if he needs it done.

You might try a polishing shop.
Just a note that chroming is not cheap though.

Good luck.

Barndon
pettibone2375

Quest100
Sep 15th, 2001, 09:24:06 PM
Thanks, pettibone! :) I'd rather get it chromed than polished, because it will probably tarnish. Polishing definately would be cheaper though.

-Jon

CommonGround
Sep 16th, 2001, 02:15:24 AM
Check the phone book under 'plaiters' if your in a sizable town you should have a few. Price for something of that size shouldn't be to bad of course I haven't gotten anything smaller than a bummer recromed, and that was of course metal. Not sure if the process differs with none metallic items or not. Make some calls, should be able to do it locally.

Later.

MJ

Anakin Starkiller
Sep 16th, 2001, 09:52:32 AM
That's gonna be tough since that is aluminum. Aluminum does not take chrome very well and as such most platers will not be able to have that chrome plated. I suggest having it polisghed to a chrome like finish instead. Or buying an AS handwheel.

Dan

Quest100
Sep 16th, 2001, 10:20:08 AM
Thanks guys! Aluminum CAN be chromed. First they have to put a nickel covering over it, then a copper covering, then chrome it (I'm pretty sure thats how its done). :)

-Jon

Darth Strip Mall
Sep 16th, 2001, 02:29:37 PM
Allot of things CAN be done, but the cost and difficulty may be more than you expect. I have had to have aluminum things chromed and the end result was expensive and not very durable. If you polish it the have it clear anodized, it will not tarnish. You can also get it done cheaply and easily.

hypospray
Sep 16th, 2001, 05:51:40 PM
also remember that polishing will take off the sharper edges. But then again, chroming will put a coat on it that may diminish the edges too...

Quest100
Sep 16th, 2001, 05:54:51 PM
Thanks, DSM and Hypo! I definately don't want to diminish the edges, so I think I'll just forget it, and try to find an AS sink knob. Anyone have one you'll sell me? Thanks again! :)

-Jon

Treadwell
Sep 17th, 2001, 03:14:46 PM
"Check the phone book under 'plaiters' "

lol, he won't find anything unless he looks under "platers".

Sorry, I wouldn't have pointed it out if I was sure he'd look in the right place. :)

maniacman7
Sep 18th, 2001, 02:35:48 AM
Does anyone know who does anodizing?
Is that under platers also?

Lance
TR 2640