PDA

View Full Version : airbrush compressor questions

Jikawa
Sep 18th, 2001, 11:58:06 AM
I am thinking of getting a compressor... getting sick of those pesky air propellent cans... anyways... how much psi should i be looking for? also, please let me know what kind of features is recommended. thanks... :)

blufive
Sep 18th, 2001, 12:13:52 PM
be sure to get one with a water trap. you will have to buy one seperately if the model you buy doesn't come with one.

the water trap will collect the condensate that is created with the air. otherwise, you'll get water in your paint.

Jikawa
Sep 18th, 2001, 12:28:10 PM
Thanks Blufive... how about the PSI?

rayra
Sep 18th, 2001, 02:00:48 PM
psi - I usually use ~20-25psi with my airbrush, but I could be wildly off - anyone else?

If you're referring to CFM on the compressor motor itself, most medium compressors are in the 5-8 CFM range.

If airbrushing will be your primary / only use, I'd suggest getting the largest tank you can afford / fit, and save $ on the motor side of things - I've got a 22gal tank on my home-mech-sized compressor, and I basically charge it up, and turn the pump OFF. I can work my airbrush over several hours of hobby work on the stored air alone.

With the pressure regulator on the tank, I get steady pressure (and would until the very end, if I ever reached it).

StormLeader
Sep 18th, 2001, 02:13:45 PM
I think 15-25 is what you normally are looking for with an airbrush. You should be able to pick up a small hobby compressor for about 100 bucks.

Darth Blyad
Sep 18th, 2001, 02:40:44 PM
Many compressors have a range on them. Mine goes from 20-100 psi (it's 3/4 HP). Look at garages and hardware stores too, since many hobby shops end up costing more.

rayra
Sep 18th, 2001, 02:53:45 PM
Sears has compressor closeout sales about twice a year, you'll get at least twice the compressor for your money (over a hobby store's pricing).

'course, it depends also on your living situation - a small hobby / donut compressor may be the best thing for an apartment of dorm dweller - but then again, should you be spraying paint in that space? ;)

Lynn TXP 0369
Sep 18th, 2001, 02:55:18 PM
I've gotta a Badger 180-1 compressor and it works really nice, they'll run between $100-150 depending on where you get it. I has a widdw range of adjustable PSI settings, I run between 20-30 PSI.
As Blufive mentioned, definatly get a water trap for it and a small inline seperate water trap dosn't hurt either. I have both on mine. If you run with out a tank as I do, definatly do as the directions say and drill a small hole (per instructions) on the fitting for the hose connection, this elminates any back pressure on the compressor. You may damage the compressor if you don't.
Lynn

Jikawa
Sep 18th, 2001, 03:24:21 PM
Thanks for all the input, guys!! :)