PDA

View Full Version : Need help/advice sewing pockets on Fett jumpsuit, please.

PropReplicator
Sep 18th, 2001, 11:49:49 AM
How exactly do I go about sewing shin and thigh pockets on my Fett jumpsuit? Do I need to rip the seams out of the legs to get it to go through the sewing machine? Or is there some trick to sewing them on there without having to open up the seams on the legs? Or should I just sew them all on by hand?:(

Thanks.:)

Hammerhead
Sep 18th, 2001, 01:03:17 PM
PR, thanks for asking this question...I've been wondering about this myself.

How have you other Fett-heads tackled this one?

Lynn TXP 0369
Sep 18th, 2001, 01:32:32 PM
I'm not a seamstress, but I would imagine it would be easyist to rip the seams out on the outside legs and then sew them in and just resew the seams... It shouldn't be that hard to do, and a lot less work then sewing them on by hand... :)

Rebel Hunter
Sep 18th, 2001, 01:34:50 PM
You will need to rip the seams.

PropReplicator
Sep 18th, 2001, 02:22:32 PM
Okie-Doke. A-ripping I will go.:) :)

Thanks.:)

imprissonedfett
Sep 18th, 2001, 03:32:17 PM
If you look at Braks Buddy's great archive of Fett photos from MOTM you will see that the shin guards are not sewn on but are velcroed in the back of the leg. This is at least what I see.

PropReplicator
Sep 18th, 2001, 03:38:58 PM
Do you mean the little grey things that wrap around the top of the boot? Yes, they are just velcroed around the leg at the top of the boot. I'm talking about the pouches on Fett's thighs and the two pockets that hold his shin tools.

imprissonedfett
Sep 18th, 2001, 03:41:31 PM
Oh. Well you could always hand sew?

PropReplicator
Sep 18th, 2001, 03:43:09 PM
Nah, I can't handsew worth a flip. I need the seams to be straight. I can just use a ripper and take out the seams to sew them on and then resew the legs. I needed to tighten up the leg bottoms, anyway.:)

kimncris
Sep 18th, 2001, 03:43:30 PM
Hi Wayne -

This is a little cheesy but this is how I attached my pockets to my x-wing pilot jumpsuit:

First I sewed all of the pockets together on the sewing machine and then once I had all of the pockets finished, I stich-witcheried (ironed on) them to the suit.

Since all of the seams are sewn on the machine it looks like they are sewn onto the suit but I didn't have to rip any seams.

I'm not exactly sure how strong it is but I washed and scrubbed and I still couldn't remove the stitch-witchery glue in a spot where I had messed up. So I think it has a pretty good bond.

- Cris

PropReplicator
Sep 18th, 2001, 03:48:14 PM
Oh, man, that's a FANTASTIC idea!!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!:) :) :) :)

Darth Zaphod
Sep 18th, 2001, 04:39:27 PM
PR,

On the suit that I did for a friend, I was able to sew on the pockets without ripping out the leg seams. It just took some maneuvering on the sewing machine. There's a lot more room inside those legs than there appears to be.

DZ

PropReplicator
Sep 18th, 2001, 05:31:33 PM
Cool. I'll robably sew on the shin tool pockets, but use the iron-on stuff for the thigh pockets.:)

Braks Buddy
Sep 18th, 2001, 05:35:03 PM
Make sure the shin tool pockets are deep enough. Most "Fetts" have them too short.

PropReplicator
Sep 18th, 2001, 06:56:24 PM
Yeah, I'm going to use my resin tools from RA as a guide. I think I jotted down your notes as to the sizes of the pockets and pouches somewhere. I've got to go find those again.:/

Braks Buddy
Sep 18th, 2001, 07:26:05 PM
Just a world of caution, those tools are SHORT because they come off the DP statue. If you ever plan on replacing them with the real deal your pockets will be VERY SHORT. I suggest making the pockets full size and putting small fillers in the bottom to make the DP tools the correct height while still leaving you enough room if you ever change over to the real tools.. Just my .02.

PropReplicator
Sep 18th, 2001, 07:57:46 PM
Will do.:)

czjxm7
Sep 18th, 2001, 08:07:58 PM
I would also suggest going with the stitch witchery rather than ripping the seams.

If you rip the seams, you will never be able to match the thread and needle tracks back up. Just a noticable nit picky thing.

The pocket material that you try to put into the seam may be too large for your needle to pass through. A commercial, heavy duty machine would work, but the everday singer will break needles if the material is too thick.

Just my 2 cents. Best, Jon.

kimncris
Sep 18th, 2001, 08:26:00 PM
no problem :)

I can't sew worth a darn- so I was always looking for the easy way out when putting together my costume...

They sell 1/2" wide stich-witchery at the fabric store. That's what I used- in a big grid pattern behind the whole pocket.

-cris