PDA

View Full Version : armor and leather questions, please read again. edited.

hydin
Sep 17th, 2001, 03:42:57 PM
im building a doctor doom costume. i have the gauntlets, the chest, back, greaves and sabatons. ive even ordered the upper cannons <bicep armor>also.

my problem is this.

i need a codpiece style , well, cod, and thigh armor thats solid, yet not detailed,<think stormtrooperish> but possibly with a muscle style definition.

does ANYONE here know of anyone who can make me a codpiece or set of thigh armor? let me say, for the record, I DO NOT WANT STORMTROOPER ARMOR, I DO NOT WANT THEM SAM I AM, I DO NOT WANT THEM WITH GREEN EGGS AND HAM. I DO NOT WANT THEM IN THE SKY, I DO NOT WANT THEM WITH SOME PIE, etc.

i just need a set of thigh armor <front and back> and i need someone who can make it. any takers?? ideas? price ranges? anything?

the codpiece id just like the trooper style, but i really just need the front and back. the look doesnt really matter, as long as its just waist and below, because of the chest parts i bought. this doesnt need to be mega detailed, for obvious reasons.

the armor is .03? inch vinyl, i figured id toss that out and see if it helped any.

if theres anyone that can help me out please fire out an email to me or post up. any ideas, post up.

lil note - this isnt going to be a wearable costume <at least not for me. im chubby> and its just going on a mannequin, so i dont need foam rubber and tips on how to attach it best so i can move, etc. i appreciate em, and anything to help make doom look more badass is great by me, just wanted to letcha know this is gonna be a display piece.

next prop.... cosmic cube!

oh, and i need to figure out how to make a leather belt thats about 4 inches wide, with a holster for a mauser. yes. even doom used a mauser. i also need to find that page where they had the tutorial for holsters for mausers. i dont need a special looking one, but i need one that looks like the comic one. if needed i can post some pics up to the thread.

the sintra idea is awesome, and im gonna try to get a local place to snag me some. any tips on this would be great. stuff like the graflex <"no, really, its for my grandfathers camera."> excuses would be great.

last but not least, any ideas on how to make/hardware out the cloak clasps would be great. they are 3 1/2 to 4 inch circles in the comics, shiny gold or brass.

thanks!
chris

Lord of all that is Fett
Sep 17th, 2001, 05:23:37 PM
The widest brown leather belt I've found is in the tool belt section of Sears. About 2and7/8" wide (gonna use it for a Fett ammo belt). Has a double prong buckle in antique brass. -Mark

hydin
Sep 17th, 2001, 06:29:10 PM
im thinking i may have to get the belt custom made. its friggin huge, plus it has a holster on the side for the mauser.

i remember someone had a tutorial up about how to make a holster for a mauser, any chance someone can point me to that link?

chris

Jedirick
Sep 17th, 2001, 08:21:19 PM
If you just need a codpiece and butt plate that kinda like but not like...why don't you get some Sintra. Comes in 6 or 8 colors including black and white and thicknesses from 1/16 to 1/4 and I have even seen some 1/2" stock

You can cut it out easily with metal snips with little or no fear of material damage, shape it with a hairdryer or in hot water to what ever contour you desire. Takes primer and paint well.

Most of the franchise type "vinyl sign/banner" shops use a lot of it and may have enough in a scrap pile. A 4x8x 1/8" sheet usually costs under $20 in most cases and they may agree to order you a sheet in at cost+ with their order and save you shipping. You'll find as you use it that a number of "prop" uses will come to mind.

Since the demise of armor suppliers this may be a great alternate for many seeking costuming with armor.

hydin
Sep 17th, 2001, 10:35:49 PM
awesome. i didnt think of the sintra angle. can you work it with a hair dryer? id hate to have to pick up a heat gun also.

any ideas on the costume/armor are greatly appreciated. specially the head. im thinking custom sculpt but itll take a while. i may have a headless doom<bot> for a while.

thanks guys!
chris

FugaziSDC
Sep 17th, 2001, 10:42:03 PM
Yes, you can use a hair dryer to bend THIN sintra...I did this to adjust some armor (like my COD:lol: ) with a hair dryer when I was pre-fitting for DC...;)

Biker Scott
Sep 19th, 2001, 09:55:36 AM
Chris,
If your looking for a WIDE leather belt, why not try a weight-lifters belt, and just trim the excess where it flares wider on the back to a consistent width.
As for armor pieces, try looking around the Costume Armour website, www.costumearmour.com , I work for them, but I'm on sick leave right now. I don't know exactly what we have in stock, or what we don't even have listed on the website, but be fore-warned, the pricing is a little high, generally aimed at theatrical production budgets.
Scott