PDA

View Full Version : BEEMAN'S GUM IS SHIPPING!! -UPDATE-

LZeitgeist
Jul 30th, 2001, 01:45:38 PM
UPDATE:

Rocketeer25 - ******GUM RECEIVED****** - Thank you!

TheShadowe - ******GUM RECEIVED****** - Thank you!

Sarge1nOnly - PAYMENT RECEIVED - Going out Friday...

Imahomer - PAYMENT RECEIVED - Going out Friday...

SKareiva - ******GUM RECEIVED****** - Thank you!

evanthx - ******GUM RECEIVED****** - Thank you!

RocketBobs - ******GUM RECEIVED****** - Thank you!

PropReplicator - ******GUM RECEIVED****** - Thank you!

http://members.aol.com/thesanctum/Gum2

EDIT - progress update

Rocketeer25
Jul 30th, 2001, 03:05:25 PM
Hey, that sounds like a great idea!! Count me in!

Lonnie
"I LIKE IT!"

TheShadowe
Jul 30th, 2001, 03:31:58 PM
I am so in...Patrick, will they be ready by Steve's p[arty?

Sarge1nOnly
Jul 30th, 2001, 04:07:15 PM
ME MEMEMEMEMEME!!! (that's about the onlything I can afford right now!)

-Sarge

LZeitgeist
Jul 30th, 2001, 05:09:33 PM
Lonnie - Thanks! :)

Shadowe - there's a chance they will be, but I should have at least a few done by then to bring to whoever is on the list and in attendance at the party.

Sarge - yup, I know what you mean - I'm hoping to see a rash of smaller, less-expensive things come around (like the Grail Diary inserts and the Chachapoyan Temple Maps) so that we can all still get our 'fix' without having to keep emptying the bank accounts...

Imahomer
Jul 30th, 2001, 05:21:07 PM
I'm there. Can't go wrong for that price!!!

Razmeister
Jul 30th, 2001, 05:27:10 PM
Not to hijack, but could somebody please tell me who makes the Rocketeer Helmet? Was it 48thRonin? I need to get one for a friend. Heck, he might go for the gum, too. :)

Thanks!
Guy

LZeitgeist
Jul 30th, 2001, 05:30:49 PM
Imahomer - you're in there...

Guy - Yes, I believe it was 48thRonin, and since you hijacked the thread, you're forced to buy some gum. :cool: :lol:

Dann
Jul 30th, 2001, 06:13:56 PM
Wow, nice job!

This is funny, this gum was ACTUALLY manufactured at one time. I remember getting it several years back at the local Wal-Mart. Haven't seen it in years though.

Razmeister
Jul 30th, 2001, 06:28:54 PM
Pat,

Is it sugarless? My dentist has forbidden me from chewing anything else. ;)

Guy

SKareiva
Jul 30th, 2001, 06:30:01 PM
I'm up for one. I was actually thinking about doing this at one time myself. I will say yours is a lot better quality than what I was planning.

I still need to get my @#%$ helmet finished. HOPEFULLY I'll have something by Steve's party. I don't want to bring it unfinished but......

LZeitgeist
Jul 30th, 2001, 06:30:56 PM
Dann - thanks... you're right, it was available for quite a while in its different incarnations...

This one is the most recent that I'm aware of, circa 1995...
http://members.aol.com/thesanctum/Gum3

Guy - nope, it's got sugar as the first ingredient on the list. But it's, um, the new 'virtual sugar'... um, yeah, that's it... kinda like NutraSweet, but different... ;)

Steve - thanks! Hopefully you'll get a rush of energy and get that multi-layer spiffy-a$$ paintjob done on that thing and blow my helmet out of the water...

evanthx
Jul 30th, 2001, 10:59:49 PM
Kind of a neat idea - I'm in for one. It'll go nicely with the helmet...and if I ever get a rocketpack, and someone shoots a hole in it, I can fix it in an authentic way!

Evan
evan@evan.org

LZeitgeist
Jul 31st, 2001, 06:53:02 AM
:lol:

EDIT - Man, 183 views and I only need to make 7 more of these things to make all my friends happy? Sweet! :cool:

C'mon... put me to work here... :)

TheShadowe
Jul 31st, 2001, 09:26:02 AM
Patrick....I'll take another one...so thats two total for me....!

LZeitgeist
Jul 31st, 2001, 09:41:22 AM
Shadowe -

O.K., I'll put you down for two... :cool:

PhoneLine
Jul 31st, 2001, 01:43:27 PM
Hmm, is this the first eatable prop for this forum? :)

LZeitgeist
Jul 31st, 2001, 03:16:00 PM
:lol:

Gee, what do I win? :cool:

THE GREAT PROP MASTER
Jul 31st, 2001, 08:08:37 PM
I guess a scrotum is out then huh?

Sorry about that guys, I had to.

PROPMASTER

LZeitgeist
Aug 1st, 2001, 12:08:18 AM
Ummmm... yeah... riiiight...

Anybody else? Lots of activity on the board, so this keeps sinking fast - just want to make sure everybody has a shot at these, 'cuz once they're gone, they're gone...

Darth Zaphod
Aug 2nd, 2001, 09:49:39 AM
Everybody,

If you've already ordered a pack of Beeman's, don't forget to aorder another one, because that very same pack of gum was also featured in "The Right Stuff".

If you'll recall, when Chuck Yeager was about to steal the F-100, he asks his mechanic buddy "Do you have any Beeman's?". His buddy replies, "Yeah, I might have me a stick." That same exchange also took place earlier in the movie, just before he takes the X-1 out for a spin.

DZ

dualedge
Aug 3rd, 2001, 09:31:15 AM
hey, Steve K, you ever hear any more about the rocketpack Clint was working on? I keep hoping news will come down the pike. Apparently there's another place that's planning on making a kit but they said the project had been pushed back because of lack of interest.

(sorry LZ - don't mean to hijack your thread here - just taking advantage of having all the finheads in one place again)

I'd offer to join in on the gumpack list but I'd just wind up chewing it :) but it looks like a cool project anyway!

Rob

SKareiva
Aug 3rd, 2001, 09:44:25 AM
Rob,

Talked to Clint briefly when he/his company won the jacket and everyone was seeing if they were going to do copies of it.

Last report was they were still finishing some pieces and were going to possibly start offering the rocketpack in parts to cut down on production time for them and cost for us.

Rocketeer25 actually got to go to Acme Designs new facility, meet Clint and see what they had. Rocketpacks: the master, a cast and the electroplated one that has shown up here from time to time.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1436340&a=10771001&p=45420240&Sequence=0&res=high

Jacket: freshly won from the Disney auction. One of the buttons had been removed to be reproduced. Finally, the upper and lower buckles. Clint's originals along with a cast they had done of the lower one.

I've been meaning to get back in touch with Clint. I do this every couple of months just to update. I'll try and give him a call next week and get an update.

Speaking of finheads Rob, here's THE finhead page from the Dave Stevens website. Check it out.

www.davestevens.com/old/ds_fans.htm (http://www.davestevens.com/old/ds_fans.htm)

dualedge
Aug 3rd, 2001, 10:46:51 AM
Glad to hear Clint's still alive and kicking. I look forward to more info on that. I just got my new finhead hat... very nice too.

Yeah, I've seen the official site and finhead page... I see they've redesigned it since I was last there. I have to admit I'm still not very impressed with the site tho... It's not horrible or anything but it could be SO much more. Definitely needs more Rocketeer content too... :(

I love Dave Steven's illustration style...

Rob

RocketBobs
Aug 3rd, 2001, 01:22:20 PM
Hello everybody-
Put me down for one pack of gum!
Speaking of Clint, he also won a screen used Rocketpack! Now he has the jacket and the pack! Heres a pic of my screen used helmet! More to come at Rocketbobs.com!

blackcomb.smarterville.ne.../myHat.jpg (http://blackcomb.smarterville.net:9000/~bob/myHat.jpg)

dualedge
Aug 3rd, 2001, 04:06:15 PM
Rocketbobs... yeah, I think we spoke by email (and Evanthx)... do you have any closeup pics of the top edge of that helmet? I have this ridiculous fin obsession and I keep chewing Evan's ear off with my obsessive compulsive rantings and speculations about
silohuettes and tapering (like I really know what the heck I'm talking about... but Evan humors me)... I don't want to completely highjack LZ's thread here with minutiae...

Rob

RocketBobs
Aug 3rd, 2001, 06:33:05 PM
Ah yes the mystery of the tappered fin-That riddle has kept me awake many nights. The fin is unlike any that have been replicated to my knowledge and I have had every version of this helmet! I will send you the specs.

Cant wait for that Gum-Yummie!

LZeitgeist
Aug 6th, 2001, 09:17:40 AM
Thanks, RocketBobs - you're on the list... :)

SKareiva
Aug 6th, 2001, 06:22:23 PM
Patrick,

No wonder you were talking about stopping into the con this past weekend. You weren't that much further away from Crystal City. An hour or 2 maybe?

Congrats on winning a trophy for your car! From the pics I've seen, it was well deserved!

LZeitgeist
Aug 8th, 2001, 08:33:23 AM
Thanks, Steve... yeah, it would have been cool to get up there, but getting my car cleaned and perfect (or as close as I could get) took all of Thursday and most of Friday, and the competition was on Saturday, so I couldn't really get away...

I was surprised, needless to say... quite happily so. :)

Sluis Van Shipyards
Aug 9th, 2001, 11:55:44 PM
You're right, as someone pointed out, that Beeman's was in "The Right Stuff" but those scenes in the movie were based on real happenings. Before every test flight, Yeager would ask Jack (I forget his name, Ridley maybe?) for a stick of Beeman's then told him he'd pay him back. I guess it was kind of a good luck thing or something.

Dann - I clicked your banner with the girl on it (I'm a guy, I couldn't help it...) and about had a heart attack because my mom and dad are sitting in the room facing the computer. I clicked it off fast, so either they didn't see it or don't want to mention it! :lol:

SKareiva
Aug 15th, 2001, 10:57:23 AM
From the "OFFICIAL Cheap as Hell Props thread". Saw these over at the StarWares collectibles site that was linked to in there.

http://www.starwares.com/display/159.JPG
Bigelow's Air Circus souvenir program

http://www.starwares.com/display/158.JPG
Bull Dog Cafe receipt

They were asking $350 for the program and $225 for the receipt(s)(?). Waaay high considering some of the stuff Disney was selling (set dressings) that were more substantial pieces for lower prices. I know some of Disney's stuff couldn't be tied to the movie as easily as these but....

Looks like some easy to do props for the Rocketeer. Thing that makes me want to buy the souvenir book is the description:

"Prop souvenir program for "Bigelow's Air Circus" on October 15, 1938. With a full day of activities planned, the program lists several aeronautical contests in addition to an exhibition of formation flying."

Doing the cover would be cool but having the contents is what has me standing on my wallet!

evanthx
Aug 15th, 2001, 11:57:45 AM
The Air Circus program sold on EBay for $100 a while ago...disney put up a dutch auction of about 10 of them.

LZeitgeist
Aug 15th, 2001, 11:59:36 AM
I wonder if there's any way at all to get a full-sized color copy of the 'World's Fair' folder that Hughes tosses into the fireplace?

(SKareiva - the lead you gave me never got back to me... not sure why...)

SKareiva
Aug 15th, 2001, 12:20:32 PM
Thanx Evan, I always am a day late and a dollar short on these things sometimes. Damn.http://www.mpz.co.uk/cwm/cwm/cwm/angryfire.gif

Patrick, if the lead was who I think it was, and you emailed him, he isn't too apt to replying to emails. Nothing personal, just his typing skills aren't the greatest. That's in his words. Give him a call. I don't have the # available right now and I'm not sure the one I have is for their new shop. I remember him saying it would stay the same but I'll have to check. Since I'll be putting in a call myself soon to catch up and see if there is any new news.

RocketBobs
Aug 15th, 2001, 02:16:29 PM
This thread is becoming an all things Rocketeer kinda thing. This is a replica photo of Jenny I am working on-dont fly without it!

blackcomb.smarterville.ne...nnyREP.jpg (http://blackcomb.smarterville.net:9000/~bob/jennyREP.jpg)

This will be an actual photo I am having a negitve made of it.I am current trying to reproduce the "yellowing" for real, not just a digital effect-like the one in the link-any ideas?

Boy! that gum is gonna be great! thanks Patrick!

tripoli
Aug 15th, 2001, 02:31:28 PM
I was a resteraunt here near Toledo the other day called the Cracker Barrel. They have this old fashioned front section where you can buy all sorts of old fashioned toys and snacks. Wouldn't you know it, they sell the Beemans gum there in the black and white and red wrappers. Kinda a nostalgia thing I guess.
If anyone is going to great lengths to duplicate it, I can just run there and pick up as much as you want and send them out. Still cheap too, like I think 35 cents a pack.

LZeitgeist
Aug 19th, 2001, 10:12:10 AM
Yes, I'm in the process of duplicating it, but I'm recreating the 1932 version of the pack as seen in the films, not the currently available modern version... thanks for checking that out, though! Nice to see the new stuff is still around in some places.

Steve K. - I'm not really comfortable just calling someone out of the blue when I don't know them (or their work/family/free time schedule) at all, so if I'm not able to get the ball rolling through e-mail, then I'll usually just let something go. However, if someone else who knows the guy better might be interested in seeing what can be done, great... but not knowing the guy myself, I really don't want to impose upon him, especially when I feel like I'm asking a complete stranger for something he has. We'll see what happens.

EDIT - check out the updated first page, if you haven't already...

Sarge1nOnly
Aug 20th, 2001, 09:40:16 PM
Very Cool! Just let us know when you're ready!

-Sarge

LZeitgeist
Aug 28th, 2001, 12:49:53 PM
The gum is ready now - if you haven't received an e-mail from me within the hour, please contact me for payment information.

Thanks!

EDIT - *bump*

Sarge1nOnly
Sep 5th, 2001, 04:08:19 PM
Pat,

Can you post a paypal address, or a p.o. box for payment? I wanted to send payment by this Friday, but I'm temporarily having to check e-mail from the library, and their system won't talk to my AOL account at the moment, so I can get your address.

Thanks!

-Sarge

LZeitgeist
Sep 5th, 2001, 04:43:55 PM
EDIT - got your e-mail - address info sent again... post here if you can't get it... thanks.

evanthx
Sep 8th, 2001, 09:48:32 AM
Got the gum last night! I'm pretty impressed...if I didn't know better I'd swear this was a off the shelf package. So thanks, and you really did a good job!

LZeitgeist
Sep 8th, 2001, 07:35:02 PM
Cool!! The first one to show up!

I'm glad you like it... I did my best to make it as authentic as I could... :)

SKareiva
Sep 13th, 2001, 10:53:13 PM
And now for a productive post, away from current events and naked trolls.

Patrick,

This is a cool little prop! :) I had the idea to do this one myself but I don't think I could have done this as well.

Dude, you have come up with ideas for some great, inexpensive props. This, your BR and BTTF license plates, and some I either don't know of or can't remember.

Thanx again for adding a new prop to our Rocketeer collections while we wait for the Mothers of All props from this movie.

P.S. Do you realize we've been chasing props for this movie on the board for a year now? I know for you it's been a LOT longer. You'd probably tell me, "Welcome to the club", right?

Later,

LZeitgeist
Sep 14th, 2001, 01:01:06 AM
Wow, Steve, thanks for the kind words! I'm really glad you like it. With all the high-quality stuff floating around here, if I was going to contribute, I wanted to do my best. :)

Yup, it's been a quick year - doesn't seem like that long. I did my Rocketeer outfit right after the movie came out, and then got the boots in late '94 and the jodhpurs in late '95, but until I got the helmet kit last year, those were the only changes to it.

Once I got the decent helmet, that's when the bug bit me for further improvements, and that's where you and I crossed paths for the first time... <grin>

I'm glad we did... :cool:

RocketBobs
Sep 20th, 2001, 04:11:53 PM
I love my gum! I will never fly without it. I think I will take the spare piece of gum chew it up and plug the hole in my Rocketpack!
With your packaging skills and tools I wonder if you could make a pack of "Apple" brand cigarettes, from Pulp Fiction?

Thank you very much for all your hard work!

Bob

LZeitgeist
Sep 20th, 2001, 04:14:35 PM
Thanks very much, RB... ::smile::

If I can get a good, clean, clear screenshot or two of the Apple cigarette pack, I can sure give it a shot...