PDA

View Full Version : Lecter mask ? For Jhyphen (& others) and a NEW prop idea

Amber Padawan Learner
Sep 12th, 2001, 08:17:52 PM
Jhyphen, I seem to recall that several months ago you were inquiring about a replica of Hannibal Lecter's restraint mask. I was just wondering if you were ever able to obtain one or find out any info about that particular prop. 'Please, enthrall me with your acumen.' ;)

Thanks.

Darth Detori
Sep 12th, 2001, 08:20:46 PM
I thought I'd throw in here that I work at a halloween store, and we just got a box containing lecter restraint masks (low-end, but they look good- you'd have to replace the elastic straps and plastic mouth bars) and a set containing the mask and a straighjacket.
You may want to check around for these, or else if there's interest I'll see what I can do

Amber Padawan Learner
Sep 12th, 2001, 08:45:47 PM
Thanks Detori. I hadn't considered that after the movie there would probably be something like that for Halloween. I'll definitely check into it. We have a 'Center Stage' costume shop here so it shouldn't be too hard to find one.

I'm still interested in getting a more 'high-end' replica too. I'd be really surprised if the mask hasn't been replicated before. I think it's a very interesting prop.

GuntahKela
Sep 12th, 2001, 08:57:01 PM
Check Ebay. I saw a couple there.

Beorn Tordensjold
Sep 12th, 2001, 09:27:27 PM
Try www.pxdirect.com (http://www.pxdirect.com) Prison supply place. Or Humane restraints at www.humanerestraint.com. (http://www.humanerestraint.com.) Both are a bit disturbing, but this sort of thing is.

Hope this helps.

Beorn, Ravensmoon Replicas
ravensmoon.com (http://ravensmoon.com)

Amber Padawan Learner
Sep 12th, 2001, 09:53:05 PM
Hmmm. Interesting links. I looked around but didn't see anything that looked like Lecter's mask. Thanks for the suggestion though. :) I suppose it was custom made for the film. Anyone know what the movie mask was made of?

jhyphen
Sep 12th, 2001, 09:58:08 PM
Agent Amber:

I did indeed show interest around the time that Hannibal was released, and I thought there was an effort to recreate the mask in its original medium of unfinished fiberglass. But I don't recall any progress, and we all seemed to move on.

I'd love to have a quality replica of the mask, and maybe we should resurrect the project....

Now fly, fly, fly Agent Amber....

Fly, fly, fly....

Darth Bill
Sep 12th, 2001, 10:01:51 PM
We can get this project rolling again...?

If so, then, "Goody, goody..."

;)

Russ

patsmear
Sep 12th, 2001, 10:14:13 PM
Your prayers may have been answered!!!!!!!!!!

I sent off payment today for one. That and a Jason hockey mask.

I was going to wait until I received it before I let you all know, so I could review the work.

Pat

*edit* oops, here is the link:

home.thezone.net/~legge/custom.html (http://home.thezone.net/~legge/custom.html)

They run about $60 or so.

The Hockey mask looks great also.

PHArchivist
Sep 12th, 2001, 10:18:11 PM
I'd underline John's comment on the original medium of unfinished fiberglass... Probably old news, but there's a fantastic close up in "Hannibal" when Barney pulls it out of the pink box. You can clearly see the fiberglass texture.

patsmear
Sep 12th, 2001, 10:33:25 PM
Here are some better pics of it.

cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayI...1462474531 (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1462474531)

I am sure He could do it in raw fibreglass form if you ask.

Pat

Amber Padawan Learner
Sep 12th, 2001, 10:48:15 PM
Jhyphen - *in my best West Virginian accent* I see. I had rather hoped you had a marvelous replica of the restraint mask already in your possesion. Yes, we must resurrect this project... and display it in a pink bakery box. ;)

patsmear - Thank you. That link does look rather promising. Though there maybe something a bit different about the nose area in the replica. I'm not certain as I've been studying so many pics of the mask but none are as clear as I would like. I'll compare the pics on the site to stills from my DVD's adn see if that helps.

The only idea I could come up with to make the replica was to buy a life cast of Anthony Hopkins' face (usually quite reasonably priced on Ebay) and use that as a base to mold a mask but then I remembered that I know NOTHING about fiberglass and the such. ;)

BlindVoyeur
Sep 12th, 2001, 10:59:26 PM
There are some great shots of it on my reference ftp :-)

24.158.134.116 p:8021 props/props

ftp://props:props@24.158.134.116:8021

Amber Padawan Learner
Sep 12th, 2001, 11:17:40 PM
Blindvoyeur - Thank you. Those pics help. From them I can see that if I'm not mistaken the nose is a bit differnet, the eye area not being cut away enough and the mouth should be smaller, the outer two gaurd bars angle out toward the outer corners of the mouth area. I love the raw fiberglass texture in the movie stills.

Don't get me wrong Patsmear, I really appreciate the link. It is a very nice replica. It is the closest I've seen so far and for the price it's quite good. I'm just VERY picky about the accuracy of this particular prop. :)

BlindVoyeur
Sep 12th, 2001, 11:18:59 PM
Thanks I made those myself :-)

Amber Padawan Learner
Sep 13th, 2001, 12:33:13 PM
You made them? They are excellent. I was just looking at them again and I can see all of the details clearly... the sides, placement of the ventilation holes, and even the buckles and rivets. Yours are so much better than any photos that I've ever found. Thanks again for sharing them. :)

patsmear
Sep 14th, 2001, 11:23:15 AM
I just shot an email to Gene at Decay NY.

I asked him about raw fiberglass and angling the bars and he said not a problem.

I will try to get pics from him also of an unpainted version.

Pat

Amber Padawan Learner
Sep 14th, 2001, 11:33:35 AM
Patsmear, my hero. That is INCREDIBLE news! I'll be anxiously awaiting pics and or your review. 'Goody Goody.' :)

Amber Padawan Learner
Sep 15th, 2001, 12:36:31 AM
Sorry, I don't really know bump etiquette here. I admit this is a selfish bump. I really want this prop.

jhyphen
Sep 15th, 2001, 01:18:42 AM
Good bump, Agent Amber. If this meets your high standards, I'm in for one.... I remember when Hannibal came out I was pretty interested, but somehow we got sidetracked.

Lecter's mask is one of the iconic film props and fits my criteria as a classic worthy of collecting....

Fft fft fft ffft....

patsmear
Sep 15th, 2001, 01:49:49 AM
Hi guys still waiting on a pic of an unfinished one.

I will let all of you know when it arrives.

Pat

Amber Padawan Learner
Sep 15th, 2001, 03:21:51 AM
I can't wait to see the pic. I do hope that all works out well and I can finally reach my goal of owning one of my favorite props in movie history.

Darth Detori
Sep 15th, 2001, 08:25:31 AM
right there with ya', amber.

The ones we have at the halloween store aren't really too accurate- I'd have to punch a lot of holes, and still I'd be left with two big misplaced ones, and then replace the bars and the straps. Too much work for me ;)

patsmear
Sep 15th, 2001, 11:42:00 PM
Sorry guys, no pics yet. I will let you all know when I get them.

Thanks for the bumps !!

pat

Amber Padawan Learner
Sep 16th, 2001, 12:18:29 AM
Thank you for keeping us updated patsmear. I really appreciate it.

Amber Padawan Learner
Sep 17th, 2001, 07:27:33 PM
*Bump* and I had another prop idea. It's a very simple prop or at least I thought so when I started. ;)

Y'know the numbered white t-shirt Lecter wears at the end of SOTL before he breaks out of the makeshift cell? I thought that since it is a favorite scene of mine and the t-shirt would make a good backdrop for the prop display that I have in mind that I'd give it a try. White t-shirt, a stencil, fabric paint and voila...right? Not quite.

OK, so I watched the DVD and got the numbers and made a brief sketch to look for the appropriate stencil. I have been unsuccesful finding the right stencil. Last night I watched the DVD and drafted the numbers, scanned them in and attempted to clean it all up.

Now, I know little about drawing fonts freehand, using Photoshop, properly sizing images or making stencils. Here's what I was able to design which is not brilliant or perfect, but it is close. Any suggestions as to how to turn this into a stencil?

From what I can tell using Lecter's t-shirt neck ribbing as a guide the numerals appears to be 1" or 1.5" in size.

http://fan.starwars.com/jedigarb/files/finalstencil.jpg

jhyphen
Sep 17th, 2001, 07:38:38 PM
Amber:

philippes is great with graphics. He's super busy, but if he becomes interested....

philips@pressroom.com

Let's turn this thread into some tangible props....

dropshipbob
Sep 17th, 2001, 07:49:58 PM
Amber, forgive me if I am about to tell you anything obvious...but here I go.

I recently did a project similiar to this...here's what I did.
(this mainly hinges on weather or not you have Adobe Illustrator)
If so...import the image there, then figure the rough area the numbers/letters took up on the shirt in the movie. Enlarge/reduce the image untill it fits that area using the rulers. Seperate each letter and number so that you can space them manually but don't change the size on just one or else the size will be off on all of them because they won't match. After you have it the way you want it, print it off, and cut the characters out of the paper. You then can do one of the following to transfer it to a shirt.....

A. Airbrush the stencil on the shirt.
B. By a screen printing screen, then tape the image to the underside and use a sqeegee (sp?) and spread screen printing ink over the stencil area. This is a quick and cheap way of priting a shirt or two...but thats about all it's good for...not more than three at best. You can buy a kit to do this from most leading hobby stores like Hobby Lobby...maybe $15-20? If it's the same kit I have, then it should give you a much more detailed outline on how to do what I stated above....and more.

or C. You can try and paint it on by hand, which will only drive you crazy. I don't recomend option C. :)

Good luck!

Amber Padawan Learner
Sep 17th, 2001, 08:02:28 PM
dropshipbob - Thanks for the suggestions. The biggest problem that I've had is not being able to get an image of the t-shirt with all of the numbers on it in one frame thanks to those darn prison bars. ;) The image I've posted is one that I have drawn out after pausing the DVD and looking at different stills to see each numeral. At this point I can only approximate the style, size and spacing between each number. I don't have Illustrator so that is another factor. If only I could find the blasted stencil that was used but so far I've had no luck.

Thanks jhyphen... I'll email philippes to see if he has any ideas.

Sith Sheriff Brody
Sep 17th, 2001, 08:10:54 PM
How about a hat that says "Hannibal Lector Made Me Eat My Own Brains"?

-SSB

patsmear
Sep 17th, 2001, 09:35:31 PM
I used to do stencils for my old punk rock tshirts.

Take your image to Kinko's and have them print it on a sheet of clear plastic film. Then cut out the image. Use masking tape to secure the plastic film to the shirt, then paint away. I used to use spray paint but that has alot of over spray.

Once you finish do another one and send it to me!!;)

Hope this helps.

I still haven't heard about the unfinished mask yet.

Anyone know if the one used in Silence was different??

Pat

Amber Padawan Learner
Sep 17th, 2001, 10:18:46 PM
Okie Dokie. Looks like I'll be printing and cutting out the numbers by hand. And I thought drawing them out and cleaning them up was tedious. Still I'm determined. :) So, anyone who'd like to use the numbers I drew to make themselves a shirt, please feel free because I honestly can't see myself cutting out a stencil more than the one time it will take to make my shirt. lol! We'll just have to see how it goes. ;)

Amber Padawan Learner
Sep 18th, 2001, 12:33:57 PM
Here's another option thanks to philippes.

In response to my email Phil wrote
Your artwork looks excellent. You should be able to submit this to any t-shirt shop to get the work done. All you'll have to do is specify the size of the image as it will appear on the shirt. They should be able to do the rest. Thanks so much for the help Phil. :)

So we have several different options...

1) paint the numbers on the shirt freehand

2) have the image printed out (on plastic or cardstock) and cut out each number by hand, then stencil or screen print onto the shirt

3) take the image to a t-shirt shop, tell them the size and placement and they handle the rest

If anyone does make the shirt, please let me know what method you decided used and how it turned out. Right now option 3 is looking pretty good to me. ;)

patsmear
Sep 19th, 2001, 03:41:32 PM
O.K.,

I got some pics of the unfinished mask and it doesnt look like the one from hannibal.

http://members1.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/getImage.pl?imgID=6083621-4e13&trans=

I will show more pics when I get the finished one in the mail.

They are $60 plus shipping. He said if you mention my name he may be able to help you out.

Let me know if the pics aren't working. They work for me but I had this problem on another thread.

Pat

4rch0n
Sep 20th, 2001, 05:14:34 AM
Amber instead of cutting out by hand, if you have an inkjet printer you can buy special paper that you can print on & then iron onto the T shirt. I'm unsure of where to get such paper but I would hazard a guess at Art shops or office supplies (dont know any names).

Hope this helps.

4rch0n.

P.S Pat the images still dont show up.

jhyphen
Sep 20th, 2001, 08:03:02 AM
I just got a new computer with a DVD player, as well as SOTL special edition. This weekend I'll try to post screen caps of the mask and the shirt. I would love to have both in my collection.

Ffft ffft ffft ffft....

patsmear
Sep 20th, 2001, 10:28:19 AM
ARRRGHHHHHH!!

I am using clubphoto to host my pics. How come I can see them and no one else can???

Anyway here is a link to the pics:

members8.clubphoto.com/pa...896f.phtml (http://members8.clubphoto.com/pat391406/450619/owner-896f.phtml)

Thanks

Pat

Amber Padawan Learner
Sep 20th, 2001, 01:48:48 PM
patsmear - Thanks for posting the pics. :) It may not look like the mask from Hannibal but it is very close. There are three details that I see that throw off the accuracy but seem as if they would be easy to correct.

*The eye area of the mask need to be cut deeper. If Anthony Hopkins has over half of his face covered with a mask, they're going to be sure that we can see his eyes and the area around his eyes so that he can still act and convey emotion to the audience.

*The nose area has two nostril ventilation holes cut but should also have a horizontal slit between the two nostril ventilation holes.

*The mouth area should be like an oval that has been expanded out to form a slight rectanglular shape. It's not a rectangle with rounded edges it's more of an oval shape. And althought the mouth shape on the unpainted mask looks a bit too big I think that is due to the cut being a rectangle with rounded edges rather than an oval shape. With an oval shape cut not as much of the corner areas would be lost. The actual width and length dimensions of the cut appear accurate. Just the cut shape is off.

Opinions? Any one else see anything that I missed?

4archon - Ah, another option. :) Thank you. I had not considered that approach.

jhyphen - Screen caps of the mask and shirt would be most helpful. I'm very interested in comparing screen caps of the SOTL mask to the pics I have been studying of the Hannibal mask.

ARGH! I WANT THESE PROPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahem... *deep cleansing breath* OK, I'm better now... didn't mean to go free-range rude here but I really, really, REALLY want that mask and t-shirt. (where's the pout emoticon?)

patsmear
Sep 20th, 2001, 11:07:00 PM
APL,

The mask does have the slit in between the nostrils. As for the other things, I will see better once I get the mask. It ships on Monday!

Pat

4rch0n
Sep 21st, 2001, 07:18:32 AM
Found quite a nice pic of lecters mask here

www.ew.com/ew/covergaller...90507.html (http://www.ew.com/ew/covergallery/1999/19990507.html)

4rch0n.