PDA

View Full Version : A Very Special Review...Please All Read.

TheShadowe
Sep 20th, 2001, 04:03:59 PM
We are all here on this board for one reason. We have a passion for our collections and the pieces in them. So it is truly rewarding when one's passion comes to fruition in a project on the board. Mike Bolin's Superman Crystal and Base project is one such example.
The Superman crystal was always my favorite prop. Whether it was the simplicity of it or the fact that it was the very symbol of a childhood icon, I don't know. But when I became a consultant on a project to recreate as close as humanly possible the one used in the movie, with an elegant and classy base no less that would show it off in all its glory I was over the moon. Many months passed by with Mike hard at work to make this dream come true, constantly getting my approval on color, angles, clarity, edges etc.
Today I received a box from Mike with my crystal and lighted base. Breathtaking. The crystal is a perfect representation of the screen used one I use to own. The clarity is amazing! It is like holding green ice- thats the only way to describe it. I can't find a bubble in it---sorry..:)
The edges and lines are perfect and smooth and when holding it you truly feel the excitement of the movies.
The color is perfect. I am amazed that Mike was able to match it up so well...I always described it to him as looking like lime jello and sure enough here it is...
The base is blowing me away. Not only is it beautiful it is DURABLE. It is resin but is made up of many parts. You can see how he took awhile to build this. He even put details like felt feet on the bottom so it wouldn't slide. The LED in it is VERY bright but best of all it doesn't get HOT! I have had mine on for four hours and the crystal where it sits in the base is not even warm. Try doing that with a light bulb! The color of the base is very special- a pearlescent white that has a subtle change of color in some lights with the painted logo of Superman bold and beautiful against the snow like base. The area where the crystal sits is VERY important. Mike molded this so it fits the exact dimensions of one end of the crystal. This way no matter how hard you hit the table it will not move, rock, or worse fall.
Here are some pics of the piece both in light and in low light. I will never turn it off. And Mike, all I have to say is thank you. Thank you for making a fans dream come true.

http://hometown.aol.com/cranstonla/images/crystal.jpg

http://hometown.aol.com/cranstonla/images/crystal1.jpg

LZeitgeist
Sep 20th, 2001, 04:17:01 PM
Very cool... :)

TheShadowe
Sep 20th, 2001, 06:50:16 PM
By the way...Mike sells these...very limited....for $145 for the base and crystal, or $80 for the crystal. Shipping is a little extra.....

hometown.aol.com/cranstonla/index.html (http://hometown.aol.com/cranstonla/index.html)

jhyphen
Sep 20th, 2001, 07:23:40 PM
Tonight, on a very special episode of Blossom....

Awesome, Dave. I'm tempted, even though Supes is not my man....

TheShadowe
Sep 20th, 2001, 07:32:11 PM
:lol:

You know whats funny about that Blossom comment...when I was writing the title to this review the same damn thought ran thru my head....tonight, on a very special Howard Stern....etc....
:lol:

Glitch
Sep 20th, 2001, 08:01:07 PM
I agree, I thought it was going to be the one where that fat chic from the Facts of Life lost her virginity, or the Fresh Prince was a victim of racial profiling.

What a relief.

DAMN that crystal looks great! I'm gunna go for one. I love the fact that there is a slight hint of yellow to it. I think the lime Jello analogy is a good one.

Thanks for the review!

Thermalized Plastics
Sep 20th, 2001, 08:24:24 PM
Shadowe,
I... I... Don't know what to say! Thanks for the compliments, and your detailed description of both pieces. This has been, and continues to be, a fun project. I look forward to more
projects with you in the future. If anyone has a question about the project, or wants to order a Crystal or base, let me know.

Thanks again,

Thermal

WOLFMORGANFX
Sep 20th, 2001, 10:23:06 PM
Shadowe, Drop me a line, let me know what's up....

Wolf

wolfmorgan@hotmail.com
206-418-1282

NightSeed
Sep 21st, 2001, 02:05:22 AM
LIMITED?!
Do you mean these aren't going to be offered indef?

How long do you plan on producing them, I HAVE TO HAVE ONE! :)

TheLivingForce
Sep 21st, 2001, 03:32:34 AM
Truly Beautiful Shadow, and I do not know if you have mentioned it in this thread already, but there will be different colored bases to choose from or have you just narrowed it to this very nice one? Yes, as Nightseed mentioned, how long will this be offered for?

Perfect work guys!:)

-Neal

TheShadowe
Sep 21st, 2001, 08:01:34 AM
I think Mike can comment on the life of this project. But if you want one please email him soon at least to reserve one if nothing else....:)

rmschneider104
Sep 21st, 2001, 08:19:16 AM
Very nice. Thanks for sharing your review.

Thermalized Plastics
Sep 21st, 2001, 11:17:47 AM
These will always be available to the board members. As for the colors of the bases?.. What ever color the customer wants! And reminder, the clear crystals are now available.

Shadowe,
Can you post a picture of the clear crystal you have?

Thermal