PDA

View Full Version : For those who own a PKD with metal upgrade... need help

Jikawa
Sep 20th, 2001, 02:00:08 AM
I have begun painting my PKD and i realised that the paint gets chipped very easily on the metal pieces. I sprayed a coat of primer before painting it, just like what i did for the resin pieces. Should i be using any special primer or is priming unnecessary for metal? Thanks in advance! :)

Jikawa
Sep 20th, 2001, 11:25:34 AM
Anyone? :(

trammel
Sep 20th, 2001, 11:27:03 AM
Have you tried contacting the maker of the kit?

-Tom

Jikawa
Sep 20th, 2001, 11:31:19 AM
No i havent.... good idea though... :)

moffeaton
Sep 20th, 2001, 12:08:12 PM
Ooh! another chance to show my buildup! I used "Plastikote T-235 Gray Automotive Sandable Primer" on my metal parts, and it seems to work well...
Feel free to pick my brain on what I did to my kit... I'm going to tackle the Snub soon :)
Take care, Jason
http://w3.cablespeed.com/~moffeaton/props/pkd/quarter.jpg
http://w3.cablespeed.com/~moffeaton/props/pkd/left.jpg
http://w3.cablespeed.com/~moffeaton/props/pkd/right.jpg
http://w3.cablespeed.com/~moffeaton/props/pkd/leds.jpg
http://w3.cablespeed.com/~moffeaton/props/pkd/features.jpg

Jikawa
Sep 20th, 2001, 02:05:12 PM
Aha!! I see you took the bait to lure you in showing off the pics... now.. i will add them into my ever increasing archive of PKD pics...(j/k...:lol: :lol: ) So Jason, i assume that any kind of automotive primers should work fine? Also, care to share what you did to the grips? They look awesome!!

StormLeader
Sep 20th, 2001, 02:40:05 PM
Nice buildup! Man, I gotta get one of those.:)

moffeaton
Sep 20th, 2001, 02:55:54 PM
Thanks guys!
Damn! I took the bait!

I would think that you'd do well with any sandable primer formulated for metal. When I make models, I try to prime the parts with the T-235, as it seems to offer the best adhesion and non-interactivity with my other paints - waterbased acrylics, xylol-based enamels, etc... plus, it dries hella fast - good for impatient folk like myself. I have used other brands of the grey primer, but nothing is quite like the T-235... pep boys should have it.

The grips were painted with testors model master enamel - I think it was "rust"... I coated the grips inner surface with a brushfull of xylene, and then used a sign painters badger brush (the thin pointy one that you do lettering with, not the bigass blending ones used by faux finishes) to "paint" the tortise shell design. The xylene let the model master paint float around, so it was almost like painting with watercolors - the result was pretty close to real tortise shell. I think next time I'll use a slightly darker brown.

Take care, Jason

Jikawa
Sep 20th, 2001, 03:03:03 PM
One more question, Jason. Do you also prime the resin parts with T-235?

Dann
Sep 20th, 2001, 03:13:00 PM
I gots me a PKD-II kit, no metal parts.

It didnt go together very well, so I'm gettin' another one.

And I second that on what you did w/your grips dude, how'd ya do that!

And what car paint colors best match the Buffable Metalizers?

I don't want my next kit to be lacking ANYWHERE.
:)

BTW - whose kit is that? It's not a RC is it?
Looks to me like a Dopp.

moffeaton
Sep 20th, 2001, 03:28:22 PM
"One more question, Jason. Do you also prime the resin parts with T-235? "

Yup - I sprayed just about everything with that stuff. Shows imperfections well, especially after I have sanded and puttied.

"And I second that on what you did w/your grips dude, how'd ya do that!"

check out the xylene/rust model master thing I mentioned in my last post...

"And what car paint colors best match the Buffable Metalizers?"

That I don't know offhand. I plan on using some Allclad ][ next time I need to paint something to look shiny.

"I don't want my next kit to be lacking ANYWHERE."

Me either!!

...and the kit is Dopp's PKDII... the last one I got wasn't up to the usual specs, and he sent me a replacement very quickly - it is cherry! So I highly (again) recommend those kits as among the best resin kits you will ever work with!

Take care, Jason

Jikawa
Sep 20th, 2001, 03:29:07 PM
Yup, thats a Doppleganger..

Dann
Sep 20th, 2001, 03:35:03 PM
Okay Moffeaton, you asked for it, when my new kit comes, I'm gonna pick your brain throughout the whole building process!

That is, if ya don't mind. ;)

moffeaton
Sep 20th, 2001, 03:43:05 PM
Yeah, you can pick all you want. I know that if it weren't for my calls for help, arms flailing wildly, that 85% of my props would just be a bunch of sink tubes, hex bolts, Denix mausers, and windshield wipers sitting in a box. The people of this board are amazing at exchanging secret recipies and inside information... any chance I get to give back to this deranged community is one I gladly take part in. *sniff* I love you guys...
;)
:lol:

Just give a holler when you need help! Take care, Jason

Dann
Sep 20th, 2001, 03:49:48 PM
I'll post a thread when I get the kit, that way maybe OTHER people can learn how to soup-up their PKDs, too.

Thanks man.
:)

czjxm7
Sep 20th, 2001, 05:47:54 PM
Damn you guy's!

Please post or mail me the link so I can buy one. I've been holding off for a while now, and with this thread and those pics, I think the check is writing itself, Jon.

SKareiva
Sep 20th, 2001, 08:04:47 PM
....my props would just be a bunch of sink tubes, hex bolts, Denix mausers, and windshield wipers sitting in a box.

Jason, the time I was there that's what some of it was! :) You've been bustin' ass finishing off your props and showing them to us. Great jobs. Wish I could have seen the original PK-D before you sold it. I wish I could have bought it too!

If I can get my Rocketeer helmet out of the way and decide if I'm going to do my resin Maul and Luke Holiday saber, this is next. I'll be hooking up with you when it happens.

BTW, didn't mean to.......you know.

moffeaton
Sep 21st, 2001, 12:56:03 PM
My doors are always open for prop show and tells... Call me when you get the kit and we can throw a PKD party!
Take care, Jason