PDA

View Full Version : GK flash hider question (again I think)

JediBrain
Sep 21st, 2001, 08:02:02 PM
Ahh...early 20's and the memory's already going. I know i read this on one of the boards recently, and I may have even posted teh question myself. Anyhow, for the life of me, I cant remember the answer.

The question: How far along the barrel do you put the flash hider for the GK? I think i remember hearing the back of the hider lines up 3.5" from the front face of the mauser (magazine well). Does that sound right?

Brian

Methos007
Sep 21st, 2001, 10:14:10 PM
That is correct.

Best thing to do is just position it to match the location of the pics and in comparison to your scope. Don't cut the barrel down any though. Just shave off the front eye sight. MOre hten likely this is all they did for the real thing.

JediBrain
Sep 21st, 2001, 10:34:58 PM
Thanks,

Yeah, I did just shave off the front sight. I've got the whole thing stripped of its original finish and I'm going to paint the upper part tomorrow.

I was just getting ready to fabricate the sleeve to hold the flash hider in place on the barrel, so I needed to know where to put it since the barrel is tapered. I made it from a piece of aluminum flashing. I created a little band to fit around the barrel, and it adds just the right thickness to hold my Mauled M-9 in place where I want it. (Wakal had a gread idea for using a concrete wall anchor for this purpose, cheap and prefabbed, but I couldnt find one at our hardware store that fit the inside of the M-9 and the barrel).

So here is the plan (tentative) to completion:
1. Paint the upper assembly.
2. Paint the flash hider
3. Take 2 weeks off to get married and go on a honey moon.
4. Once I have my Mauled Grill, position the scope mount, drill and tap the holes.
5. Paint the lower assembly.
6. Assemble mauser.
7. Attach flash hider, grill and scope mount.
8. Show off totally cool new prop.

The project is rolling!

(This thread is offically authorized as a place for people to show off pics of their blasters)

Brian