PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40k armor...WHERE TO GET?

dropshipbob
Sep 17th, 2001, 07:36:01 PM
So....anyone know where a fella can get a set of this, and perhaps a weapon? I heard there was a guy in Australia by the name of Altman who used to make sets...but I don't know how to get ahold of him, and a search on the net comes up empty. Thanks.

hydin
Sep 17th, 2001, 07:37:03 PM
someone on here, i forget who, <no im not being coy, i just flat out dont remember who> mentioned they had made a set of armor, and used cardboard for it.

never got any pics posted, but it gave me some good ideas.
chris

darthgoat
Sep 17th, 2001, 07:46:33 PM
there was a guy walking around D-Con with 40k armor on. it was pretty damn sweet. i think he made it himself out of sheet metal.

Grand Milk Carton0
Sep 17th, 2001, 08:48:42 PM
That was me, and I only used cardboard to get the shape so I can Vac form it. I still need to do the jumppack and the bolter. There was a company in the UK that did Chaos armor(Khorne) and Space Marines armor(dark angels) for a Live action movie called inquisitor. It was a horrible movie but the suits were nice. There is also a 1:1 room at GW HQ in England. I have been trying to find someone in the area over there to get me some pics. I think after this I may do some eldar armor as well.

Admiral Talus
Sep 17th, 2001, 08:53:00 PM
That would be sweet to be roaming around in Space Marine armour. I think those shoulder pades would be a bit of a pain though and I prefer the MK6 Beak helm (sorry I play 40k quite a bit). Just having a bolter would be cool.

DKWD
Sep 17th, 2001, 09:17:56 PM
Any picture from Dragoncon of the armor?

Any since or before?

David

Grand Milk Carton0
Sep 17th, 2001, 09:40:54 PM
Admiral Talus, sorry no stinking marine armor for me. Mine has been tainted with the touch of Chaos. too bad you're not in the NW.. I haven't had a good game in awhile.

I'd like to see pics of the guy wandering around at DC as well.. when I said that was me.. I meant that was me that made it out of Cardboard.

FugaziSDC
Sep 17th, 2001, 10:48:38 PM
GMC,
We chatted about this before. My psychotic buddies and I are thinking of doing a run of 6 sets for D-con next year...;)

Admiral Talus
Sep 17th, 2001, 10:56:33 PM
GMC: Actually I most admit I prefer the touch and taint of Chaos too. So I should actually correct myself and say a suit of the armour with a plague marine style helmet would be sweet.

It is too bad I'm not in your area. I could use a good game too, been playing around here too much and trashed all my fellow gamers ;)

Baron Fel The 1st
Sep 18th, 2001, 12:22:33 AM
I should have full sets of armor to sale in about 8-12 months. If you would like a set E-mail me and I'll put you on a list. I will only be making 10 all together, So first come...

Baron

Grand Milk Carton0
Sep 18th, 2001, 12:31:19 AM
Any specific Chapter? or is it just going to be Vanilla SM armor?

hydin
Sep 18th, 2001, 12:37:16 AM
i remember some of that RPG stuff back when my sister was engaged, like 10 years ago or so. but i got to read some of the warhammer novel/gamebooks and they had some awesome weapons. i remember an ice sword, and one thing i still wanna build, a chainsaw sword. it looked badass.

i cant imagine trying to make the lil pointy face for those helmets though, but if you can get em made, they arent that far off from the Final Fantasy movie helmets, and those ruled.

chris

Baron Fel The 1st
Sep 18th, 2001, 04:06:24 PM
This armor will be the Mk IV type. and will have the mass produced feel to it. It will be up to you to pad, strap and paint it to your liking. with a little work you could make it into some chaos types. it will all so include a bolter.

DKWD
Sep 18th, 2001, 04:17:56 PM
GMC0 - any pictures of yours then?

Baron Fel - any idea on a price range? I'm intrigued but if it's too high I'll probably just work at completing my own - someday.

David

Admiral Talus
Sep 18th, 2001, 04:21:38 PM
Baron: Congrats. You actually forced me to pull out my old second ed. Angels of Death codex to see which marine suit variant you were referring to. Normally I know the suits off the top of my head.

Now if we're talking about the same suit that would be the 'Maximus' variant with the beginnings of the beak (not pointed yet) and the air hoses running from the back of the helmet to the front beak like portain of the hlmet, correct?

If this is the correct suit that I'm talking about then I'd be interested. About how much are you talking about in the way of cost? Oh and another question: Do you plan on modeling the bolter like the old bulky ones or the newer slim ones that were ushered in under third edition re-casts?

darthgoat
Sep 18th, 2001, 04:51:59 PM
here is the guy from d-con. i am not sure what 40k guy he is supposed to be though.

http://www.reaproductions.com/808/images/gal003/dc0101_31.jpg

Grand Milk Carton0
Sep 18th, 2001, 05:05:24 PM
easy, Black Templar.. Oh man I am a g33k.

Admiral Talus
Sep 18th, 2001, 06:25:14 PM
Of all the goofy chapters to be, why a black templar? I guess thats better then a Ultra Dork but not by much.

I agree with you GMC: you are a g33k, er,um, I mean I'm a g33k. Yeah thats it, ha.

Cool costume, though.

RicosRednecks
Sep 18th, 2001, 06:46:42 PM
Blood Angels all the way!

spellbinder99
Sep 18th, 2001, 07:25:19 PM
The vengeance of Ultramar will be upon you Admiral Talus!!:(

Seriously though, a set of standard Space Marine armour would be an awesome display, but Chaos Marines have all those lovely spiky bits.....:)

Ah well....

Tony

Admiral Talus
Sep 18th, 2001, 08:29:22 PM
Ricos: I agree completely. Blood Angels are the only way to go if you are playing a loyalist Space Marine chapter.

Spellbinder99: :lol: :lol: :lol: If I had a dollar for everytime a Ultramarine player had fallen to my Tyranid army will you know the rest.....

Seriously though I do agree with you. If anything a marine suit of armour would make a nice display piece next to my Stormtroopers, Fett, and TIE Pilot.

Biker Scott
Sep 18th, 2001, 10:55:30 PM
If you can find an old back issue of Sci-Fi and Fantasy Models Magazine, Issue #12, 1996, there is a nice little article on an English company called Bright Light Studios. They apparently made several life-sized display pieces for the game your talking about. Looks pretty cool, but I'm not into RPG's. They do list an address for the company though:
Bright Light Studios
Unit B11
Little Heath Industrial Estate
old Church Road
Coventry, CV6 7ND England

dropshipbob
Sep 19th, 2001, 12:13:46 AM
Biker Scott, THANK YOU FOR THE INFO!! May your house be blessed with many props! :)
Now, I cross my fingers and hope they respond to snail mail.

Grand Milk Carton0
Sep 19th, 2001, 12:51:46 AM
Thats it Biker Scott, thank you.. that was the Company that did the ones for the movie as well, I meant to get the Company info before I sold the movie but spaced it.. Or maybe I was glad to be getting rid of it.. the thing made the Toxic Avenger look like Titanic.

Baron Fel The 1st
Sep 19th, 2001, 06:22:38 AM
We tired Bright Light Studios about 4 years ago but got no where with them. They would not sale to anyone for any amount of money. I have there phone # somewhere around here. If I find it I'll post it.

Admiral Talus
Sep 19th, 2001, 08:06:49 AM
Baron: Did you see my questions concerning the suits yu said you were working on?

If you would like you can e-mail me about them at: bloodmist01@hotmail.com

dropshipbob
Sep 19th, 2001, 12:44:49 PM
:( And just when I thought his was going somewhere. Baron, don't worry about the number. I'm sure if they didn't sell to you then, they won't sell to me know. And besides...I'm sure if they did sell it would cost an arm and a leg. I can imagine the shipping costs on something so big coming from England would be quite overwhelming.

spellbinder99
Sep 19th, 2001, 07:40:52 PM
The real problem is that Games Workshop are VERY protective of their copyright on such designs and probably instructed Brightlight Studios to not sell any under any circumstances.
You think LFL is keen when it comes to protecting their intellectual rights , wait untill you come into GW's radar.......

Just as the guy who was selling 40K scale Ork fortresses....:(

Tony

Biker Scott
Sep 19th, 2001, 07:46:29 PM
Guys,
Why don't you take the challenge and create it yourself! It's a lot more fulfilling than just "buying" the thing, and besides, there seems to be MORE THAN ADEQUATE research out there for you.
Just my two cents.
Scott

Admiral Talus
Sep 19th, 2001, 07:51:19 PM
Scott, under normal circumstances I would agree with you. Normal being if I had the skill, the patience (sp) and the ability. As it stands I don't and Fel did offer the suits.

Biker Scott
Sep 19th, 2001, 09:16:13 PM
Admiral Talus,
Ooops! That was a "my bad" for me, I didn't even see that Baron Fel was offering them in the future! I'm just trying to do my part to purvey the "can do" ability in us all. I'm not really into the games, but from what I've seen of the suits, they're pretty wicked looking. I'd like to see SOMEONE realize them in full size form.
Scott

Baron Fel The 1st
Sep 19th, 2001, 09:25:09 PM
We contacted Games Work UK about 4 years about getting Bright Light to make us armor. One of the people that I talk to about this was Gary, He told me I could make my own as long as I didn't make over 10 sets of armor or mass produced them. So 4 years later and phone calls all over the world we have someone to Vac-u-form and posably sculp. Any more help we could also use. We dont know how much there going to run yet. I'm going to try to post a pic if the armor we are going to do so here we go:

http://forgeworld.games-workshop.com/image/collecto/spacewo1.jpg

I DID IT!! OK this is the one that I'm going to do. The suits will come ruff trimed and will be BIG! if you are small you will have to pad it. Again if you want on the list LMK. Admiral Talus I hope this helps with your questions and I'll make the beak helm for ya!

Admiral Talus
Sep 19th, 2001, 09:53:12 PM
Cool. The beak Helm would be my first choice for a helmet. I think it looks better then the other versions. You said the time frame on this project would be between 8 to 12 months time so I think I can probably handle the price in that kind of time frame.

But just out of curoisty (I know thats spelt wrong) what are you looking at as a price range. You can go ahead and count me in on this one.

You can e-mail me at: bloodmist01@hotmail.com if you need to.

dropshipbob
Sep 20th, 2001, 12:21:23 AM
Admiral Talus, could you tell me where I could find these Codexes you speak of? I think I have heard of them. Books detailing specific things/groups...correct? I too have always wanted to play, but have never been able to. However, I would like to read up on them if possible. I was going to email you, but it's private. So here's mine....
polo_tolo@hotmail.com
Give me a shout would you please?
I think the nearest store that sells 40k related stuff is in Chicago...and thats a long drive from me.

Admiral Talus
Sep 20th, 2001, 08:30:12 AM
You have mail, dropship. BTW: My e-mail was in the post just above yours :lol: :lol:

bloodmist01@hotmail.com

Hope my e-mail is of some help

Grand Milk Carton0
Sep 20th, 2001, 08:46:29 AM
Baron Fel The 1st, I had emailed you to be put on the list,, though never heard anything back. It should of came from my place of employment.

RicosRednecks
Sep 20th, 2001, 10:14:30 AM
if I am not mistaken isnt the suit pictured terminator armor?
or is that just a newer style helmet? reason I ask is last I played we were all still using standard beak type helms on our marines.

DKWD
Sep 20th, 2001, 01:24:56 PM
Nope. That's the new style helmet. What price range are we talking about? Any chance to just get pieces - Helmets or Shoulders?

David

dropshipbob
Sep 20th, 2001, 03:23:27 PM
Doh!
Sorry about that Admiral, I should have been using my eyes..

StevieRad
Sep 20th, 2001, 03:59:17 PM
Blood Angels!?!?!? Space Wolves...........now thats a chapter I would not mind recreating in 1:1

Baron Fel The 1st
Sep 20th, 2001, 10:36:00 PM
A lot of you are asking how much? I really don't know. But if I had to guess it might run as high as $900. Yeah it's steep but this suit is going to be big, And I mean BIG. The two things that we are running in to trouble with is the bottom of the legs and the top inside or the legs. If you look at the pic you'll see why. Any comments?

FugaziSDC
Sep 20th, 2001, 10:43:51 PM
Baron Fel,
My buddies and I came to a conclusion that the Space Marine armor is anatomically correct nor physically feasible. You gotta fudge a LOT and just try to keep the "essence" of the basic shape to keep it wearable. The Blood Angels 1:1 mock up that was at Games Day in '98 looked awkward, but was done to scale. I gotta find that pic and post it;)

spellbinder99
Sep 20th, 2001, 11:31:07 PM
That is a standard Space Wolves armour suit in the picture. The Terminator armour is vastly different in construction but very, VERY cool in looks.
DropshipBob, I will be home in Adelaide, Australia in two weeks. That is where Altmann's armour is based and where all their stuff is manufactured. We also have two large Games Workshop stores in Adelaide, so if you need any Codex's or anything GW, drop me a line.
Baron Fel, $900 sounds very reasonable for an armour suit of that size, remember the space marines are all about 7 feet tall.

As an aside, does anyone know what scale the 40K stuff is, that is how many times would I have to scale it up to get full size?

Cheers

Tony

ShackMan
Sep 21st, 2001, 09:32:45 AM
Man, I finally decided to check out this thread. One of these suits, if done to scale (like for a mannequin) would ROCK! I know of the Codexes y'all are talking about. If I remember correctly, I had the Codex for both the Space Wolves and Blood Angels. You may still be able to get them at comic/hobby shops. If they don't carry them (it's been about 12 years since I was into 40k), they may be able to order them for you.

If I can find them, I'll see if I can get some scans of the suits - including the terminator armor. That's always been my favorite.

Speaking of, has anyone played/seen the PC game? I found my copy of it the other day. Not sure what it's worth, if anything ... but it was fun to play back when MOST games were still in 2-D. ;)

Thanks,

ATM

hk729
Sep 21st, 2001, 08:22:47 PM
hmmm..if you have pics of the Buzz Lightyear suit from Disney World I think it would help with the legs and chest...
I don't have any here but maybe latter I could post some.

hk729

Grand Milk Carton0
Sep 21st, 2001, 08:45:47 PM
My buddies and I came to a conclusion that the Space Marine armor is anatomically correct nor physically feasible. You gotta fudge a LOT and just try to keep the "essence" of the basic shape to keep it wearable. The Blood Angels 1:1 mock up that was at Games Day in '98 looked awkward, but was done to scale. I gotta find that pic and post it

well also SM are bigger then your average, they didn't display that well in 40K but if you look at thier new game that came out, INQUISITOR it uses 12mm Models and the SM towers above the other more human ones. I wouldn't want a slimmer one. For the one I was making to accomadte the open space in the legs(since it was mentioned) I was thinking of using foam to fill it.. or something to take up the open space. Here is something else to think about.. the Jumppack/back pack. I have heard people that wear fett packs complain.. imagine having to hall about one of thos.e As for the price.. I would easily pay 900.00 for one. Wanting to make this suit is what brought me around here. For me, besides trooper armor, this and Pinhead suit is a close 2nd in the Holy grail of props for me.

Baron Fel The 1st
Sep 21st, 2001, 11:54:13 PM
*UPDATE* My boss just informed me at we are doing the MkVII(7). Not the MkIV(4). My goof. No matter how inpossaible this is we are going to make it. My boss said so.

NOTE: Just to inform all who are thinking of copying this. (This means you Chris.) If you do I will hand you over to Games Work Shop My self. I'm not being a jackass but I have a wife and baby to worry about and I'm not going to jail over this. They said 10 and that is all we are going to do.