PDA

View Full Version : cleaning up a denix/making a holster

hydin
Sep 18th, 2001, 05:13:31 PM
hokay

much as i stated in the other thread, doc doom used a mauser. but, unfortunatly, its a steel blue or silver finish most of the time.

denix mausers have those 3rd world ugly finishes to them. whats the best way to get that crap off there and get it to a shiny lovely silver/metal color? i was thinking a wire wheel on the dremel and just a few mins of work time, but i figured id post up here before i grab a denix and screw the gun up.

also, any ideas where that tutorial went for making a holster from wet leather? i need to make a friggin huge belt for this costume also, but mainly i need the holster done too.

any info on either is appreciated.
chris

Utinni619
Sep 18th, 2001, 05:36:52 PM
For the holster, I suggest you get, if you don't already have:
- Channel maker- cuts a small channel for stitching
- Pin wheel tool- imprints where to punch holes for stitching
- Leather Awl- punches holes for the needle
- Leather Needles, heavier duty

When wet molding leather, I suggest covering the blaster with plastic wrap to keep the water out.
Take precut leather and wet it.
Lay leather over blaster and press down on all sides, making sure it doesn't warp in some places.
The leather will dry and form pretty fast.
After the first time, I let the leather dry and then take a wet sponge and go back over to "tighten" some of the sides so it's a perfect fit.

Hope this helps!

Utinni

hydin
Sep 18th, 2001, 05:59:57 PM
any good place to get the leather from?

it helps out a lot dude. im just waiting on the mauser and the belt size now to finish it up, well, that and the leather to make it also.

thanks a bunch!
chris

Jades Dark Heart
Sep 19th, 2001, 02:51:12 PM
Chris,
I just sent you an email where you can find a silver Mauser.

Greg

NightSeed
Sep 19th, 2001, 03:21:05 PM
I thought you could just soak it in naptha...and it would come right off.
I know alot of people use krylon flat black to repaint thier mausers, doesn't this hide some of the detail? Or is that only if the maker has poor painting skills?

CorellianExports
Sep 19th, 2001, 03:32:01 PM
As for the Denix, I use 400 gritt sand paper on the entire surface of the Mauser, then I use 600 gritt.
I then soak the Denix over night in dish detergeant and hot, hot water.
Once the Denix is dry, I then use Denatured alcohol to remove any grease,etc. from the Mauser.

The last step is to paint it with flat black and/or semi-gloss black paint.

Remember, if you're going to convert the Denix, be sure and drill the holes in to it BEFORE you follow the steps above. Otherwise, you'll end up with metal pieces inside and outside the Mauser.

gavidoc
Sep 19th, 2001, 05:29:14 PM
All I do to a denix is soak it in concentrate Simple Green for about 5 mins. and wash off with water. Takes almost all the black finish off the thing. Quick, simple, and the long part is waiting for the water to dry.

If I want then I'll hit it with some 220 and 320.

Prime her up with self etching primer and finish it up with some Landau Black.

hydin
Sep 19th, 2001, 05:30:05 PM
i dont wanna use flat black, as im making a doc doom mauser, and his is a shiny chrome color.

i was thinking of the airsoft, but i can buy a ruger .22 target pistol for a lil more.

im going to go with the denix, and just get that finish off. i may get it chromed, if i can find a place to do that.

thanks for the tips guys
chris

hydin
Sep 22nd, 2001, 01:05:47 AM
lil update. nothing on the denix, but springfieldleather.com has some pretty good deals on anyone needing to get some of it.

im currently working out a deal with them, as i dont wanna end up with a ton of extra leather, but its pretty much half the price of tandyleather.com .

im probably going to snag a denix soon, and try to get that finish off.

thanks for all the tips guys. hopefully my doc doom will look pretty cool with the right pistol heh.

if anyone knows where to get a giant buckle at though, lemme know.
chris

Gytheran
Sep 22nd, 2001, 01:15:32 AM
simple green.... I would have never thought

Great tip, Gav!