PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Missions

General Scorpion
Oct 7th, 2000, 01:07:15 PM
I thought a more tactical approach could be taken to fleet battling, instead of relying heavily on numbers and firepower.. Campaign missions are a good way to go.. Beforehand, this would obviously be worked out.. A single fleet/task force/attack squadron would be the predator, and the opposing force, most likely a smaller one, or something roughly the same size, would be the prey.. Anyone who has played X-wing vs. TIE Fighter: Balance Of Power knows what I'm talking about..

Two enemy fleets meet in a (often neutral) sector and battle.. Not all at once.. Little by little.. Convoy interceptions, sabotage, key base attacks, simple starfighter raids, recon missions, and so on.. Traps and advanced tactics could be used.. The smaller fleet could beat the larger fleet depending on the commander.. (The Rebel Scenario in Balance Of Power is an example, as is, of course, Return Of The Jedi) Each fleet could have a key ship that could turn the tide of a battle, besides the flagship.. Perhaps the predator fleet only has one ship with gravity wells, a single Interdictor Cruiser.. The opposing fleet should do what they can to capture or destroy this ship..

An entire fleet campaign could go on constantly for days in several threads, and each fleet can only get reinforcements from itself, which makes sure that one force won't be outnumbered 100 to 1.. It should also be ruled that no ships in a campaign carry superlasers.. Possibly an exception could be made for the predator fleet's flagship if both forces were fairly large.. Personally, I think they'd be neat to read and/or participate in..

---

Comments..? Suggestions..? A completely better idea..?

Skye Ruusan
Oct 7th, 2000, 01:09:14 PM
I'd go for that. Mostly considering I cant get anyone to RP with me anywhere else on this board cuz I'm new or somethin'. *shrugs*

Admiral Jyener
Oct 7th, 2000, 02:09:40 PM
I strongly agree with that idea, because it would involve more of a roleplaying type battle, with more tactics. It would allow people to go more in depth with the battles.. It is sort of what I have been going at with my two recent raid missions, if anyone has noticed..

ReaperFett
Oct 7th, 2000, 02:24:45 PM
ship[ fights aint my truck, but it sounds good

DarthDarkCloak
Oct 7th, 2000, 02:31:23 PM
sounds good to me.......

Skye Ruusan
Oct 7th, 2000, 02:37:20 PM
egh. Sith. *jokingly* and an ugly one at that...

Gav Mortis
Oct 7th, 2000, 03:02:12 PM
I say "Bravo" to that. Best idea I've heard around here in a long time, indded fleet battles would be FAR more interesting. A definate "Yes!"

However about the Superlasers and big powerful ships etc. I think they should be used only and I do stess only in major battle like The Coruscant War.

One thing that has really irritated me when I've been reading fleet battle's recently it has become an issue of which side has the most superlasers... BORING!!!

So I say we put Scorpions proposal into action immediately.

Darth Havok
Oct 7th, 2000, 04:48:58 PM
I agree with what Scorpion has said, and you as well Gav..

I think it is much more realistic for (compared to what people have) smaller fleets meet in battle with only a few of the 'big guns' to call them, and that their should be more concentration on smaller details and little cut scenes. Rather then, (charging up the blah blah # of superlasers I have), or preparing one of your ultimate weapon of destruction in one measly post. Things like that should be built up, and made to make a definite factor in battles rather then just a simple attack that someone would more then likely write off in their responding post..

Anyway, this is a good step I would back the idea…

Sniper Tondry
Oct 7th, 2000, 06:13:43 PM
And I'd just like to throw in here the fact that limiting fleet battles to smaller numbers and organized participation lends itself to further RPs as well. For instance, if Intelligence has enough spies on a particular ship, they could take over or destroy that ship during a battle and cause a lot of havoc.

After all, Intel's not very big, and we're always looking out for the main chance. :)

ReaperFett
Oct 7th, 2000, 06:22:34 PM
can you imagine a land based one? Snipers picking off people, sticking sticky bombs onto tanks, spies revealing themselves at the worst possible time...DROOL

too much CS, must play CS...

Gav Mortis
Oct 7th, 2000, 06:44:02 PM
CS?

ReaperFett
Oct 7th, 2000, 06:55:53 PM
Counter-strike

Fewdman
Oct 7th, 2000, 07:01:27 PM
Hehe. CS gooooood. I just thought of something Fett. You will ping like bottom to the UN1 server because its in tampa and you are in UK. Ugh.
:: Fewd cleans his AK::

ReaperFett
Oct 7th, 2000, 07:03:52 PM
and I have a 56K modem :)

I regularily use US servers though, I deagle em all! MUHA HA HA! :evil:

still havent seen you in that server BTW

Anywho, off to a PUG

Sith Summoner
Oct 7th, 2000, 07:52:05 PM
a land based one would be sweet... but i would think to drawn out and time consuming for most people here... though i would love it... laying on the ground in a ghilie suit for hours on end stalking a jedi sounds like fun...

Skye Ruusan
Oct 7th, 2000, 07:54:55 PM
so, are we actually going to TRY one of these battles?

ReaperFett
Oct 7th, 2000, 07:56:15 PM
and then you realise it was an ambush on you, as the C4 explodes. You realise your now fubar. You run, M-4's firing on your every step...

Sith Summoner
Oct 7th, 2000, 08:06:47 PM
Hey you got to find me to ambush me... and if i do say so myself... I'm good at my job...

Skye Ruusan
Oct 7th, 2000, 08:09:55 PM
Why not give everyone a chance to prove their bark is as bad as their bite?

Sith Summoner
Oct 7th, 2000, 08:18:50 PM
Hey Skye... none of this is anything major... its all ego bashing around here... though i must admit... one good RP using this technique for ground based would be a hell of a lot of fun...

Skye Ruusan
Oct 7th, 2000, 08:26:43 PM
Sorry, I'm just REALLY bored and anxious to do SOMETHING. Space battle, hand to hand battle, sabre duel, RP...ANYTHING. That's all.

Sith Summoner
Oct 7th, 2000, 08:28:44 PM
know the feeling...

Skye Ruusan
Oct 7th, 2000, 08:32:15 PM
*juggles random objects with the force out of boredom*

*wonders if his ship is alright*

DarthDarkCloak
Oct 8th, 2000, 12:57:35 PM
Yes I think it would be key to go after one ship and have strategic movements against a fleet. I say we spend a week and assign values for the ships. shielding and hull. This may be a complex process, but we willfind some way to do this................