PDA

View Full Version : CSPAN - HoloNet Channel 343224 Senator Paelotu...

Senator Paelotu
Dec 5th, 2000, 09:17:16 PM
[The cameras all begin to pan in the Coruscant Senatorial building. Slowly, Senator Paelotu and the Dynasine constituency's platform moves to the forefront]

Madame Chancellor, Senators, people of the Republic. I come here now not only as a representative of the New Republic, and a champion of everything it represents, but also as a family man. A father of two beautiful little girls, and a man who, more than ever, understands the dangers out in the galaxy facing today's children.

There is a menace looming in the outer reaches of the galaxy. It is stronger than any Empire, more insidious than any Sith, more corrupting than any Hutt.

It is Spice...and it has the power to destroy the Republic from the inside out.

Madame Chancellor, we have spent thousands of credits already in Drug Enforcement, but I fear that it may not be enough. Right now, in the Outer Rim, there are criminals producing spice by the hundreds of korgs. Thanks to the help of existing anti-drug legislation, we have managed to eliminate most smuggling routes on the Rim. However, with the street price of Glitterstim Spice skyrocketing, and producers become more desperate to sell their rising inventories...it is becoming a powderkeg waiting to explode.

If one of our enemies finds a way to become intermediaries between the producers and the Joe Schmoe Spice Addict on the streets of Coruscant, then they could exert a sphere of influence over our own citizens.

Imagine if you will, the Marzullos selling spice to your young sons and daughters, and offering the first one for free. The second, and they'll have to pay a little, the third, they will pay a little more, the fourth, and they might have to kill a New Republic soldier...

Well I say that is a possibility that is IMPOSSIBLE for me to bear.

Madame Chancellor, I speak for the Senate and ask of you for increased funds to Grand Admiral Thrawn's Outer Rim patrol fleet! If we are to starve the Spice Trade out of the galaxy, we are going to have to finish it once and for all. An increase of ships, increase in patrols, and an increase in the Republic's vigilance could finally give us the Final Victory in the war on Drugs.

Solis EnVerse
Dec 5th, 2000, 09:24:07 PM
Perhaps spice trade could be a concern... but how widespread is it's use? I don't think I've even met anyone who has ever used it.

Itala Marzullo
Dec 5th, 2000, 09:25:35 PM
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*runs and hides*

Senator Paelotu
Dec 5th, 2000, 09:27:28 PM
[Senator Paelotu addresses the query from the live HoloNet call]

It is not as widespread of a problem for the upper class such as the Jedi or even the Sith. However, in urban areas, especially the working/lower classes, spice use is still at an epidemic level.

Solis EnVerse
Dec 5th, 2000, 09:31:59 PM
Do you think it would be feasible to track down the actual sources of Spice (such as the mines or whatever) and close those down? It would likely save many credits.

Senator Paelotu
Dec 5th, 2000, 09:35:17 PM
It would be quicker to nip the spice sources in the bud, so to speak, but it would be a diplomatic nightmare. Many of the Spice-producing Outer Rim planets are not in New Republic control, and a forceful deployment against their inhabitants would cause bad relations between the New Republic and independent Outer Rim worlds.

To avoid this, the most expedient way to stop Spice Trade will be to aggressively resume patrols, possibly infiltrating the cartels themselves.

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 5th, 2000, 09:51:45 PM
I must ask the honoured Senator, is it not the RSO that controls Kessel, the major Spice production planet?

Solis EnVerse
Dec 5th, 2000, 09:52:33 PM
What about covert operations (ie. a "sting" operation)?

Have undercover agents make deals with some of the pushers and discreetly find out who their suppliers are.

Senator Paelotu
Dec 6th, 2000, 10:32:59 PM
I will address the venerable Master Turbogeek first.

You are correct. Kessel, the galaxy's largest single spice-producing planet, is under RSO occupation. This illustrates the intricacies of taking down the spice trade. You see, to directly remove the spice producers from the planet would trigger an intergalactic hot war...which could escalate into a precarious situation. To avoid such needless loss of life, we should focus more on starving the beast to death, not stabbing it. If Grand Admiral Thrawn's fleets are bolstered, it will increase patrols around such illicit hotbeds of narcotic production, keeping illegal spice OUT of the New Republic.

Now for Solis,

As far as covert operations and stings, I believe that the New Republic could make good use of such methods, if implemented wisely. Several important leaders of the New Republic have at one time or another been in contact with elements of these organizations, and know their background well enough to use it against them. With enough support, I believe that we could infiltrate these criminalistic gangs and bring them down from the inside. Combined with increased patrols, it would be an effective weapon indeed against the drug dealers on the Rim.

Darth Turbogeek
Dec 6th, 2000, 10:47:19 PM
Senator, are you aware the RSO has a fleet that can match our own?

Hart Kenobi
Dec 6th, 2000, 10:48:40 PM
I'm sorry, but I do not believe it was proven that Spice has any dangerous effects if used responsibly. This Abolition would no doubt increase the demand for the product and may make it a bigger problem than it already is. My solution, which is identical to the smoking laws of the galaxy, is that spice may be only purchased by an individual that has passed a set age limit (which will vary between species) and enforce strict laws on controlling it's advertisement to children.

Lance Casey
Dec 6th, 2000, 10:54:34 PM
Senator, what is your postion on the spice running group led by the Joker? Do you have any plans to stop this gang before they grow any larger or are you going to let them run free?

Hart Kenobi
Dec 6th, 2000, 11:14:43 PM
And Senator, do you really believe it is within the New Republic's jurisdiction to force upon and enforce laws unto the production laws of non-Republic planets. I'm assuming that the planets under control of the RSO are not under the NR's control. Considering trading and mining spice is a legit practice with support undoubtedly within the Senate itself from backings, and that smuggling spice is already againt the law (hence "smuggling") what do you want to achieve and what will be different under your plans?

Lance Casey
Dec 6th, 2000, 11:16:54 PM
The senator want's to stop the traffic of spice into NR territory. To do that we need to go in there and shut them down along with any smuggling groups that we find.

Senator Paelotu
Dec 6th, 2000, 11:27:12 PM
Turbogeek: Yes, I am aware of the strategic might of the Rogue Sith Order's fleet. This is another reason I am against opening direct hostilities. We cannot risk a hot war by moving against them. However, we can maintain vigilence over our own borders. That is a legitimate practice, and I seriously doubt that the RSO would dirty their hands with the act of trafficking the spice themselves. More likely, intermediary smugglers are hired...often out of our own metaphorical backyard.

Hart: Because the potency and addictive capacity of glitterstim spice is wildly unregulated, it would be nearly impossible to impose such restrictions across the board for all New Republic citizenry. While I no-doubt know there are a tiny percentage who could use the narcotic and function normally in everyday life, there are far many more who would develop dangerous and corrupting dependencies. Spice is not a "pleasant recreational habit" It is a hard drug, and must be treated as such.

Lance: About the newly forming crime syndicates within the Republic...we must treat them for the moment as individual smuggling cells. I cannot bring any proof to bear, but if such an alleged institution does exist, they will violate nearly every New Republic RICO (Racketeering and Corruption) statute in existence, and we would be more than obligated to pursue them with every power the law grants us, including freezing their assets, and wholesale prosecutions to the full extent of Republic law.

JediBoricua
Dec 7th, 2000, 12:11:19 AM
Let me first congratulate the hon. senator on his iniativa to definitly stop the illegal traffic and use of drugs.

Sencond, increase patrolling is a must and considering the expertise Thrawn and his ppl have of the Outer Rim his expertise and renown will bring fear to those willing to challenge his authority.

and yes, RSO's fleet is as big as ours, but it's not practical to spend all those resources and ppl fighting for spices, which I hope they don't sell. They are evil but they don't have the time to waste on small things as this.

I ask the chancellor to concede to senator Paelotu's request.