PDA

View Full Version : Dark Fury 10 - Part a

Darth Turbogeek
May 25th, 2000, 11:07:54 PM
Ahhh stufff it. Part 2 wont be ready for 24 hours, so I present to you...

Dark Fury Part 10!!!

Tell me what you think....

Previous Dark Fury is at 203.63.245.227/darkfury.html (http://203.63.245.227/darkfury.html)

--
Dark Fury 10

One of the things they never told about space travel – it is boring thought Lady Mara Jade. The days locked in a steel cocoon, nothing to see except ships walls and your cabin mates. After nearly 7 days flying, she was almost ready to bite hull plate in frustration, especially as they had hardly completed half of their journey to Tattooine. A ship could normally do the trip in 4 days from Coruscant, but the fleet attached to the ISD the combined Jedi / sith / Black Sun flew on had encountered some problems, forcing the entire fleet to lay over at Ord Mandell to effect repairs. Of course, the Jedi didn’t help, them and their maddening calmness and acceptance of the situation. Nor her fellow Sith, who entertained themselves at a tapcafe Rama Sha had set up, called predictably enough, Rama’s corner. Too rowdy and drunken for her more modest tastes, it had reached a level of notoriety in the seven days that almost defied belief. Rumours and tall tales of the drinking deeds, especially by Lounge Lizard circulated the fleet, to the stage that LL had become a celeberaty to the thousands of crewers and lower officers.

Not for her.

She looked out the view port bitterly, cursing the inactivity.

Damn this all! She cried out internally. Why do we have to be stuck here? Why cant we just go by ourselves to hunt Callista down, like the vermin she was? Black in outllook she continued to stare out the viewport, hardly noticing a new arrival until he spoke.

“Umm, Miss? Can you please pass me that hydrospanner in front of you?”

She turned to the voice, mildly surprised not to have felt the presence of this person first. And was even more surprised with what she saw.

He was about 30, dark hair, a bit overweight, but not much. No hunk, but pleasant features. But what surprised her was the fact he was in a servo chair, the type used for cripples who could not afford to have the bacta and medical treatments. When was the last time she had seen one like that? Certainly not on a warship, where everyone had to be fit and fully able. What was he doing here?

She picked up the spanner, now curious. “Here you are. Anything else?”

“Only that you smile at me”

She stared in astonishment at the remark, then burst out laughing for some reason, despite her dark mood. It was said with such innocence and honesty….

The cripple smiled in return. “You know Mara, you simply are too nice for a Sith”

Puzzled that this person she had never met before knew her name, she squatted down to his face level as he fixed a loose bolt on the servo chair. “Do you know who I am?” she asked

“Yes, I do. Your Lady Mara Jade, Sith Empire ruler and one very pretty lady.”

“Flattery will get you nowhere, even with a sympathy vote like you have. How do you know who I am?”

“We’ve met of course”

This threw Mara off course. They had?

The cripple manouvered the chair down the hall , as Mara still still in wonder. She finally snapped out of her surprise and moved to catch up with the floating chair, already several meters away. “Sorry, but how? I don’t exactly feature on the Coruscant Holo channels. The only ones who know who I am aren’t exactly well known either” she asked

Continuing down the hall, the cripple looked sad. Not answering for a such a long time, she thought he needed to be reprompted, he finally spoke in a soft voice

“I’ve known who you are for years, Mara. Every day I have watched you, wondering why you do what you do. Why you follow a lifestyle you don’t truly believe in. Why you deny to yourself where you path truly lies.

Why I cant be who I really should be either” he ended in a whispher.

Just who WAS this person, Mara wondered. Surely she didn’t know this person.

“Who in the name of the Force Are you?” She asked. “Do you have any idea what sort of rot your speaking? I am not just a Sith, but a True Sith Lordess. I could take your life without thinking twice, and you presume to say you know me? What type of fool do you take me for?”

“No fool, Lady Mara. Just another lost soul, crying out for an answer to why there is pain in the world.” The cripple stopped and turned to face Mara “Look at me. Do you think I can accept what happened?” She thought about this and shook her head.

“Your wrong Lady. I accept this as the price I paid for a hundred times I should have died. Should I accept only the good in life and not the bad?”

“You sound like some damn Jedi, you know that?”

“And so it should be too”

Mara got a cold shiver up her spine. Surely not… but the sudden change of voice, the tones of command and power….

“Your not a Jedi Knight. I know who they all are. They also are all upstairs in tha t area they changed to be a training hall. And they certainly don’t have a useless cripple as their number”

“Your right Mara, I’m not a Jedi Knight….. “ The cripples face seemed to change, to become haughty, proud and powerful. The voice deepened. “I am a Jedi MASTER”

The face relaxed and the cripple looked boyish again. “What wrong Mara? Struck dumb?”

She stared in almost horror. Surely not….. wasn’t he supposed to be on Coruscant?

“Hey Mara. If the wind changes, your face will be stuck and you’ll look like a stunned Bantha for good. Is this the way you treat old enemies? Gawk at them?”

No way….

She finally found her voice. “But you… you were virtually dead, right? How can you be here, Turbogeek?”

He stared ahead. “How can I be here? With a lot of pain, that’s how. The blaster shot to the back was every bit as bad as you probably heard it was. Oh, here’s the medical room I’m in. Would you care to come inside?”

She nodded as the Jedi reached up and keyed the door open. Of all the Jedi, she would have to meet Darth Turbogeek in the mood she was in before he interrupted her in. He was childish and stupid, prone to mindless pranks. I bet this is all one of those pranks to throw me off balance she thought. Maybe I should not entertain this silliness anymore and just walk away…. She paused at the open door, then for some reason decided to go in anyway.

Inside, it was indeed a medical room. Well equipped to. And to her surprise, Turbogeek was beginning to argue with the medical droid there.

“Look, I feel fine, okay? I don’t need to lie on the bed”

“Sir, but you do. You back is not healed yet. Please lie down here Sir” said TK-D2, the medical droid.

“No, I’m quite okay. Will you leave us please?”

“Sir, the sensors tell me you need your next treatment. I must insist”

“Look, just go okay?”

The discussion went like that for a moment, until Mara intervened. “Turbo, do it you stubbon idiot Jedi.” She knew medical droids would refuse to give up if they saw genuine danger to a patient and continue to insist to treat them.

He looked at her balefully. “Whose side are you on??”

“Certainly not yours!”

He snorted a laugh. “Yeah, that’s true. All right you piece of scrap metal. You win.” He looked back at Mara. “Just to let you know, I’m going to blame you for this.”

“Blame me? What for, forcing you to be healed?”

He didn’t answer, as two medical droids picked him up. Mara saw the legs dangle uselessly and the sudden sensation of agony that slipped past the Jedi’s mental barriers.

So that’s why I didn’t feel him approach me, she though. He’s not allowing any of the pain to filter out by the mental blocks! Looking in new respect, she watched as Turbo’s face contorted as he was laid out on the bed. A couple of gasps later and he seemed to return to normal. Which was to say, back to the point where she had failed to recongise him, when she shouldn’t have.

“Turbo, you look different. Why is that?”

“You’re the first person in years to see me as I really am Mara. I’ve hid behind that dark cloak to hide myself and learn how to alter my face naturally. I changed the tone of my voice too by the Force. To be honest, I don’t know why I needed to show myself as I really am to you. Especially a Sith as you are”

“Are you looking for pity? You wont get it from me”

“No, I’m just telling you what I have needed to do. I’ve run from what happened years ago, protected myself from my past” He winced as the droids attached some sensors “Now, you could say it’s caught up with me. Callista is back and she is braying for my blood to be spilt. And I’ll tell you Mara, your seriously undermanned if you expect to take out Callista with this fleet. She has allies that you cant imagine, reach that you cant escape from”- a distant hint of pain and shame came to his eyes – “And I have to face the evil I faced once before. Me”

“You? I heard you were Callista’s apprentice….”

“No, not that. Tell me Mara, have you heard of a Dark Jedi named Darth Venom?”

She searched her memory. “Vaguely. It was said he died by the hand of Master Yogurt.”

“Venom was me Mara and Yogurt never defeated me. I turned because of something I saw. I became a Jedi because of the evil Callista unleashed on a planet. She killed or enslaved the population with the Dark Fury”

This statement rather puzzled Mara. The Dark Fury? What in the name of the Force was that? She was about to ask when she felt Turbogeek’s defences suddenly drop and a bolt of pain stabbed out via the Force. She reeled and recovered as DT regained control of the mind shield he was using. “Oh Lord, this hurts” she heard him mutter.

Despite her antagonism to the Jedi, she felt sympathy for the long time foe. No, respect. At another time, she would gladly have killed this Jedi. But not now.

“DT, you’re a maniac for sneaking on-board. Your hurting yourself by this. You should be in a controlled coma to allow the medical droids to fix you.”

“Good advice from a Sith? That’s a first. No Mara, Rmaio knows quite well I am here. He in fact ordered me housed here as he suspected Itala’s Sith would make an attack on me if I were to remain at Coruscant, so I came here and my presence must remain a secret. I only woke up since I got shot a day ago too.”

He gasped and rested for a bit before continuing

“How I would want things to be different”

“Bad luck Jedi. You can suffer with the rest of us”

“No thanks Mara. I’ve got enough self pity to wallow in for a while, thanks”

She smiled at that and turned to leave

“Mara”

She faced back at the door. “Yes Turbo?”

“You should smile a bit more often. Your quite pretty when you get that permanent scowl off your face”

She left the room quickly, slamming the door. DT laughed and winced again. Aloowing the droids to work, he slipped into a Jedi trance. As he did, he saw a Jedi vision of Mara, at a crossroads, sabre in hand. Yes, decision time is coming for you Mara, he thought. I hope you choose the right path.

--

She stormed down the passageway, back to the place she was first at before DT showed up, outwardly angry. Inwardly, he felt her grip on the hardness and darkness slip as the parting words of DT swum through her head.

Your very pretty when you get that permanent scowl off your face

Surely he couldn’t have known. No, no one did, except that place in her heart where she buried the memories. Not even her closest aides in the Sith knew what she held inside. Turning from the window, she decided to go back to her cabin

The phrase haunted her as she caught the turbolift to the Sith’s living area on the giant ISD

She heard the usual party in Rama’s corner, the usual shouting and howls of drunken laughter ringing out. She contemplated going inside, but she knew something had been awoken and refused to be buried, no matter by how much alcohol

She keyed her suite’s door and stepped inside. The former living quarters of a high ranking officer, it was well decorated and softly lit. Padding quietly to the hall mirror, she regarded her reflection. Long flaming red hair, green eyes. Lithe, athletic figure. She had been called beautiful before and men had wanted her to be their mates. She had refused, or even killed them for such advances.

All but one.

The memories came flooding back and the secret pain in her heart exploded back into being. She began to cry as the loneiness flooded into her being, emotions long suppressed taking over. Her tears streamed down her face and she screamed as the words tore her heart and soul to pieces. She fell into a fetal positioned and sobbed at the pain that had refused to be vanquished returned to give her it’s own version of hell for her.

“NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!”

--

Rmaio allowed some more of the constant Jedi calm to envelop him as he stepped out onto the bridge of the ISD. It was frustrating, awaiting for the support Camalari Cruiser SabreShark to have it’s hyperdrive fixed, but at least it was here in one piece. A failure like it had usually ended up being much worse.

He stepped into the alcove where the fleet Admiral, Lyle, was presently at his staion, monitoring some of the reports of repairs and resupplies they had decided to do as well. The Admiral, blond and unusually muscular was of the Saiyan race, gifted with Force powers naturally. This one was of a group calling itsef the Imperial Botherhood, a group of Fleet Officers who held with the ideals of the Emperor’s former New World Order.

“Good morning Master Jedi”. The accent was clipped and blunt. Admiral Lyle was no lover of the Republic or of the Jedi and he made sure all office bearers of the New Republic knew where he stood. For all of that, he was, as Jedi Boricua would say “More than competent, mon”.

“Good morning Admiral. How are things at this time”

“Repairs of the cruiser are nearly complete. We should be underway again in 2 hours”

Rmaio raised an eyebrow. “That soon? You bring good news to us Admiral. You must be every bit as keen to get going as we are”

“Yes. However we will wait a bit longer than that”

“We are? There is a specific reason?”

“Yes there is. I await some of my Imperial allies to arrive. They will be joining us after they finish off a specific job they have long wanted to do”. Lyle eyes burned with fanatical hate at that point, almost making Rmaio step back in surprise. The Jedi had no need to ask who that hate was for, he could sense it clearly

“Your brotherhood goes after Itala Marzullo. Do you believe you will succeed?”

“Oh yes, Master Jedi, we will. Right now, our main forces enter the orbit of Coruscant and a sympathiser will open a hole in the shields to allow us to destroy that scum”

“I have no intention to stop you Lyle. I’m only surprised that you volunteered to place your flag on this ship and not join in the assault.”

Lyle smiled evilly. “One more would have not changed what is about to happen. Grand Admiral Thrawn leads the assault in his SSD. I don’t think Itala will survive”

IF I told that to the Jedi, they would probably have a party, Rmaio thought. He must be one of the most hated creatures in the Galaxy and there would be no tears for his demise. And I have to admit, I am glad to hear that evil will be no more, even if it does involve Coruscant.

“If President Dark Knight knew, he would probably deactivate the shields just for you. He and the New Repubic have no love for him either”

“I know. But we take no chances”

Rmaio knew he should do something to stop this assault, - but seeing that Itala lead the largest Sith group and that same group, who had caused untold suffering was about to be wiped out seemed to be some sort of justice to him. He would tell the Jedi later he thought. Many of them had been hurt by Itala and his minions, the news of his destruction would certainly cheer some bored Jedi. Even Rmaio felt some sort of glee at this news. Definantly not a Jedi thing he smiled to himself. Well, even a Jedi could be glad when hearing of an enemies demise.

--

The blood red cloaked figure moved with unnatural quietness around the lower areas of a passageway in the bowels of Coruscant. Horrid stenchs and the splash of putrid water echoed with the occasional hoarse laugh, or ear splitting scream of the few citizens who inhabited this dark and dank hole. No sane person on Coruscant visited the lower secions of the huge city-plant, where you could even step on the real soil of its surface, thousands of meters below the tops of the glittering towers above. That is if you could call it soil, with its layers of pollution, grime, mud, rubbish and even dead bodies. It was, as some had been want to put it, Coruscant’s version of hell. Few could imagine its threatening shadows, the still and putrid air that was so bad, most needed air packs to survive.

His booted feet crunched over some more rubbish he could not identify. Despite the smell, almost thick enough to cut with a vibroknife, he had the helmets atmo fitlers off, savouring the disgusting air. To him, it was something else. It had a dark energy, pulsating and threating to consume anything that came close. He felt more alive while in this place, where he was the master of this domain. The shadows hid him and the smells masked all of his presence. One such as he, who had been bought up in the shadows of the greatest darkness ever known, could he at home. He almost felt boyish again, full of strength and vigour from the dark energy down he

Ahh, I have been away too long from here, he thought.

The robes fluttered in an unexpected breeze, revealing some more of the figure. He was dressed in the uniform of a Royal Imperial Guard, which he indeed had been. From a race that was extremely long lived, he had served the Emperor himself as one of his personal guards, 60 years ago. The armour was the same as what he has worn, stepping onto the Deat Star II. The same armour he had worn when sent on a private mission by the Emperor. The mission he had just finished when the Rebels had attacked the Death Star.

And destroyed his Master and the Empire he had built.

He had been a witness to the fiery explosion of the battle station. He had felt the dying scream of the Emperor via the Force, knowing that Darth Vader had thrown him down the ventilation shaft and into a reactor’s energy field. He saw the rout of the Imperial fleet by the smaller but now encouraged Rebel navy.

And he had viewed, from a distance, as Luke Skywalker had cremated Darth Vader.

Then, it had made no sense. But after discovering who Luke was, he now understood how the Emperor, so powerful had been killed by his own greatest weapon.

Knowing who one family is, is the first step to true knowledge of a person he thought. His trained hearing picked up the noise – a sudden ill guarded breath. All his senses snapped to sudden alert and with the Force skill he had, he reached out to find out who was following him.

Ahhh. So I must have tripped an alert system that Itala had set up. It must have been real good if it missed my attention he thought. He listened, but there were no further noises. But by the Force, he could still sense the nervous follower, obviously uncomfortable with the conditions down here. Good then he though. I may not know who this is, but I have the advantage.

Slipping quietly into a doorway, he allowed the darkness to hide him. Stilling his breath to the absolute minimum he waited as the follower came into sight. He saw the flap of a cloak, the uncertain turning of a head that indicated nervousness. Closer the person came, closer then when they had stepped into range, Lord Fire Blade swung his Force Pike at their head with all the speed he could get. As he suspected, this person showed Jedi reflexes, but it still wasn’t enough to stop the worst of the blow to the face. A hollow hiss of pain as the person sprawled on the ground and another hiss as Fire Blade stomped the pommel onto a solar plexus. The other person gasped for breath as Fire Blade reversed the Pike and pointed the business end on the other’s throat. A short gulp of air told Fire Blade, the other had got the message loud and clear – no sudden moves and silence.

He indicated for the stalker to get up, at which point he pulled out a torch from his belt and turned it on into the others eyes.

She – for that’s what she was – blinked in sudden pain of the light. Fire Blade grimly extended the pike again at her throat.

“Well, what have we here? A Sith tracking me? You know I find that offensive”

She sneered. “And we find it offensive for an intruder to be here”

He shrugged. “I go where I want. However, the same doesn’t go for you, especially if you want to live to a good age.”

“Yeah? And who said you were going to live much longer?”

“I do”. With that, he hardly turned, but he pointed the touch at a doorway. He triggered a wrist rocket, which flew and then exploded onto a droid that was trying to sneak up on him. He whipped his arm back and pointed the torch beam back into ther eyes before she could hardly move. The blast lit the alley and echoed for some distance, scaring the deziens of the underground away. It probably pretty much pinpointed his position, but Fire Blade decided that no longer mattered. “Now lady, do you want to drop your false sense of bravado? I have business to do and I don’t have time for this. Either you walk away now or the next rocket is for you”

He could she in her eyes, that she was still contemplating trying him on anyway. He twisted his wrist a bit more and he could see that she thought better of it – wise decision he thought. “I advise you to run lady. Don’t stop for your life. Now – go.”

She hesitated and Fire Blade made another motion with his hand, hinting again at the wrist rocket launcher there. She suddenly turned, looking disgusted and began to jog away. Fire Blade smiled inside his helmet and decided to help her get the courage to move fast…. He fired another rocket into a building above her head. The rocket explosion forced her to duck and scream. But it also had the desired effect and she now bolted in terror.

“Probably go back to her Sith buddies and tat on me… no matter now” he mumbled to himself. He engaged Force Speed and then ran for the building he was targeting.

Of course, the buidling’s security was at full alert and there were guards. To Fire Blade, skilled at evading alarms and hand to hand combat, neither presented a challenge. A quick rewire of the alarms to stop them and then a equally quick fight to silence the 4 guards and he was inside. He stepped quietly into corridor, stopped for a moment to consult a data pad with the map of where he needed to go and moved to a set of stairs.

This was going to be easy.

A few minutes and he was at the door he wanted… a huge blast shield door, multi alarm tripped and looking for all the world impossible to pass. Knowing stealth was no longer required, he shouldered the pike and then unclipped his lightsabre. Igniting it, he cut a huge hole in the door and allowed the centre piece to fall, molten metal sparking and the whole area heated by the fierce glow.

The guards on the other side were ready, but still were not expecting him to come through so fast. He was inside in a leap and then began to deflect the blaster blots with his sabre – admittedly not a s well as a Jedi or a Sith because he wasn’t THAT strong in the Force, but good enough to send the guards fleeing. They ran with their own blaster bolts humming around their ears. He barely stopped and ran for the power controls. Looking for the relavent control section, he planted the small device he had bought with him. He set the timer and then ran for the shredded door.

The quick fights hardly raised his breathing rate as he charged back outside…. And into the expected large posse of guards and a two Sith – the one he had come across before and another male.

“That’s him. Surrender!” she yelled

Lord Fire Blade grinned inside his helmet, the last seconds of the device countdown pinging in his ears

10…… 9……

“So, you think your going to live do you?” sneered the Sith woman. “Well, holonewsflash, now you die!”

8….. 7……. 6……. 5. ……4……

“Hate to dissapoint you lady, but you’ve got bigger problems in 10 seconds”

3…… 2……

“What??? KILL HIM!!”

1……

The device went off.

The speakers in Fire Blade’s helmet squealed as the electronics was fried in the massive EMP pulse. The guns in the hands of the guards sparked and the sabres puffed out. For nearly twenty kilometres, the EMP pulse took out just about every electrical system working, melting electronics and destroying computers in a massive burst. The shield generators that were in the building stuttered and shorted out. The nearby city area went dark.

“What the …..” swore the male Sith

Lord Fire Blade wasted no time, taking advantage of their surprise at his little turn of events. He used the Force to see where his opponents were, somersaulted over their heads and ran away hard. The guards, with no clue and no lights blundered about. The two sith, able to feel their surroundings by the Force, realised their quarry was escaping gave chase. Fire Blade heard them catch up, which was what he intended…..

The male caught up first. He gave a yell of triumph, which turned to a “oooff” as Fire Blade unshouldered his Force Pike and smaked the Sith sharply in the solar plexus. The female got there and he nearly too her head off with a massive swing into the jaw. He heard bone break. A quick kick put the make Sith back on his bum and another violent swing smashed the female into the nearest wall.

Fire Blade decided they had lost enough interest chasing him and ran off.

Ooops, maybe not. The female was determined, he would give her that. Intelligent no, but persisent yes. He ran past an alley and smiled as the Stormtroopers sprung their trap on the female. He could hear her yelp as the troopers overwhelmed her.

Silly lady. Did she not think Fire Blade would plan his escape and have backup? A true warrior he reflected planned for all possibilities and was not too proud to have backup.

--

In high orbit, Grand Admiral Thrawn looked on as sensors showed a hole in the defence shields, right exactly where Lord Fire Blade said it would. The Chiss smiled. Lord Fire Blade had come through again.

“Accuire target – and fire at will Commander. I shall be in my room”

--

Lord Fire Blade looked on as the Turbolasers blew the building of The Sith Council to pieces. He turned his back as another explosion rocked the ground and walked away.

--

“Mr President?”

Dark Knight groaned as he woke from his sleep.

“Noval? What in the name of the Force are you doing waking me up at this hour?”

“Sir, there has been an attack on Coruscant”

Dark Knight sighed. “What, again? Who in the burning suns is it this time?”

“Sir, as far as we can tell, a local shield was disabled and a single building was turned to slag by a fleet of Star Destroyers, which then left”

“One building? Seemed to be a lot of effort wasted for one building. Who was hit?”

“Ummm, the Sith Council temple. It is believed all inside were killed”

Dark Knight sat up. “TSC was destroyed?”

“Yes Sir”

Dark Knight suddenly smiled and settled back into bed. “Noval that’s some of the best news I have heard in a long time. Is the building on fire?”

“Yes and it endangered several known Hutt gangster warehouses”

“Tell the fire crews we have had a sudden shortage of fire retardant. Oh and find a ready supply when we are sure the Hutts lose everything. And if you can, Noval – find a spare Star Cruiser and tell them where to have target practice. We need to make sure their gunners can hit, say a building from orbit”

Noval bowed to carry out the orders, Dark Knight turned over to go back to sleep, a huge grin on his face

--

It was a world without a name. Desolate, it once teemed with life until a day when a bright light came from the sky and wiped it all out. The very few surviors had barely time to flee, let alone find out what the evil was that overtook their planet so fast. The wind blew across deserts, open gourges where water once played, broken cities that festered and decayed. A childrens playset squeaked with rust in the wind. A chain fence rattled. A door slammed on an empty house. An empty socket on a skull, stared outwards from it’s final resting place. All around, evidence of violent death could be seen – the remains of bodies, flesh rotted away. Blown apart buildings and devices of war lay scattered in the fog and mist. The muzzle of a blaster lay pointed at a body, who had committed suicide rather than to face the evil.

And a young man walked past

He was tall, about 18. A blaster was carried at his side, the leather of the holster worn smooth by use. Boots crunched on bones underfoot, black pants rustling. If anything, he was dressed like his hero, Han Solo, who he had wanted to model his life on so much. Some parts he had succeeded, but more to the point he had cut his own reputation in the spaceports of dozens of planets. A superb pilot, a deadly shot, a card swindler.

So thought Han Paladin, what the hell am I doing here in this dump? Where was everyone? Where was his contact to pick up the latest items he was to smuggle?

The brutal toughness in his face belied a keen intelligence. Most thought he was a thug until he pulled some superb swindle and making off with the money, which was what he only cared about. Money and fast ships. And as far he could see, there was precious little of either.

He had been here for a while and was starting get angry at the continued wait. Where was his bloody contact? He kicked a cylinder in frustration. He only tagged it and it rolled only a tiny distance. Unsatisfied, he bent down to pick the thing up to smash it…. And as he did, his eyes saw that it was no ordinary cylinder. In fact…… it looked rather like a weapon he had only seen in datapads.

“No way….”

He turned the cylinder over, noting the hand grip and the activation buttons. On one end there seemed to be some sort of emitter array. He lifted the cylinder up to examine it at head level. He pressed a button. Nothing. No surprising as it probably was out of power due to long inactivity, Paladin could only conclude that it either was a cunning replica or he was holding a genuine lightsabre in his hands. How did this happen? Jedi just didn’t drop their sabres, did they?

More wonderous was the luck he had finding the sabre. Of all the things to kick on a dead planet, he chose a lightsabre. The odds of that were mindboggling…..

“Hey kid. What have you found?”

Paladin didn’t turn. “Bout time you showed up Phiiari. I was thinking about leaving”

“Well, I ran into some trouble. Old friend of yours named Dreyas.”

“What he still looking for me? Surely that bounty the Hutts set for me must be cancelled by now”

“Now, it’s doubled”

Paladin turned to face the other being. He was a elderly Bothan, disgraced long ago and had turned to the underworld. “Double you say? Surely they are not that upset with me”

“Don’t know if upset or outraged is the correct term Paladin. Pulling that last stunt on them seems to have ticked them off”

“Well, what did they expect? That I welcome their pet killers? Sorry Phiiari, but I’m not going to roll over and die just because they want me to. Besides, they were idiots. I expect to be well paid for getting rid of their second rate employees for them.”
Phiiari shook his head. “Be that as it may Paladin, you have a huge price on your head. Every damn Bounty Hunter is after you and it’s only a matter of time befor you get dragged before the Hutts”

“As if I care about those fat slugs. They have been saying that for what, two years now? They haven’t got me yet”

“Dear me, you really do have an overconfidence problem, just as Astrii’lai said you did. No your right, they wont catch you, it will be your stupidity that does. They set the Bounty Hunter Guild onto you and you know they wont give up until your head is present to the Hutts” Paladin face turned red in anger, but Phiiari continued on. “I’m your friend Paladin, you know that. I wont be saying this if I was not concerned for you and your continued existence. For once in your life, realise the odds against you are too great and you cant win this time.”

“The Jedi defy the Sith AND the Hutts AND the Bounty Hunters and every damn group of scum in the Galaxy. Do you think they would be concerned about a few professional body baggers?”

“They don’t because they are Jedi. You should because your just anthoer ordinary idiot like me. You cant deflect blaster bolts or read minds or damn meanr fly like those freaks can. Your not Master Yogurt willl 900 years of learning. Your not Boricua who has defeat whole armies. And more to the point, you can be crazy, but you certainly are no Turbogeek”

Phiiari finished his tirade when he noted an odd reaction to the name Turbogeek by the young Paladin. He seemed to catch himself and regain his happy go lucky composure real quick, but not quick enough to make Phiiari wonder why Paladin would show such clear signs of distress. No matter. He saw Paladin close his eyes, sigh once and lokk at Phiiari again

“Yes, yes, I guess your right. How I wish that wasn’t so”

“We all do Paladin. We all wish we could change someone’s mind with a wave of the hand. It would help contract negotiations out no end”

The younger man laughed at this and the tension seemed to dissolve.

“Now Paladin, what is it that you have found? Care to show an old Bothan your incredible discovery?” Paladin extended the hand with the lightsabre, which Phiiari took. The Bothan’s hair rippled in surprise when he realised what it was…. He took a closer look, concentrating on the design and the markings. “Well, this is a find, I can tell you. But we have been on the open for too long already. Shall we go to your ship?”

Paladin nodded. Phiiari continued to look at the sabre as they walked. He considered something he had heard once, a rumour. As such, his concentration was not were it should have been, looking out for potential followers. Even so, he probably would have missed the black shadow that seemed to detach itself from a bombed building and them melt into the swirling fog.

Paladin’s ship was small freighter, a boxy craft with little in the way creature comforts, but big on firepower and speed. They went into the limited @#%$pit, where Paladin engaged all the sensing equipment. He then sat down in the pilot’s chair and turned back to Phiiari. “So great and bearded one, What would thy tell me? Have we found the relic of a better age? And after the story of ye lightsabre, you can discuss my cargo and how much”

Phiiari really liked Paladin, but his flippant nature really was annoying at thimes. The Bothan allowed the twinge of annoyance to pass and sat down across from him. “This sabre…. It is not of a Jedi. From it’s design and markings, I have reason to believe it was a Sith who built this weapon.”

“A Sith? That would explain much about this place I guess. I never found out why this planet got trashed in the way it did”

“The point is Paladin, no-one does. No-one who survived could explain what happened and there has been no investigator who has discovered a hint of a cause. If we think the Sith were involved…. Well , the y have strange powers and they don’t allow their deepest secrets to be known. It is possible a Dark Jedi like them could have unleashed something via the Force.”

“Possible? I’d be firmer than that.”

“Well… who knows young one. The only ones that do are dead and as they saw, the dead don’t give up their secrets. Now… I wonder if this blade works?… No, obviously not. Do you have something to charge this thing with?” The Bothan waited while Paladin found a power supply and clicked the sabre in – the supply chirped to confirm it was charging.

“Now, while we wait for our ancient weapon to recharge, I will present your next job for me, Paladin…..”

The two began to talk about the smuggling job as the sensors continued to scan. And pickup nothing……

The shadow reformed underneath the ship, joined by two others. I claw-hand became distinict as it touched the belly of the freighter. A lizard like head peered at the weapons and a scorpion-tail moved in anticipation. The light changed slightly and the huge beast became more distincit – a 8 foot reptile, massively strong, black as space. The tongue, forked and whiplike, licked out, tasting the air. Nostrils sniffed.

“It seems they did not detect us”
“Yessssssss…. Now we teach them not to come here. You, disable the ship. You, go inside and dispose of them. Now move”

The beasts seemed to disappear with their speed. The single remaining re-examined the underbelly of the ship. It had been so long since he had seen anyone dare to land here…. Whoever it was would not live long to regret that mistake.

Inside, Paladin and Phiiari were deep in discussion, relaxed and trusting the ships systems to detect possible intruders. They were the best systems in existence and yet the beast had no trouble sneaking up to where he detected the two – a human and a Bothan by their scent he thought. Pity this was going to be easy.

“So, I will pick up the cargo from Traxis Major?”

“Yes. At that point go to GAAARRRRRKKK!!!!”

The Bothan suddenly was lifted off the ground, the chair being snapped off the deck as the beast punched through the backrest and into the Bothan’s chest, then lifting the body as some of horrific trophy. Paladin froze in total shock at the sight and gaped as the beast came at him, Phiiari’s body and all.

I’m gunna die, he thought.

The monster punched out with its free hand and Paladin, coming back to life moved as fast as he could out of the way – but even then he still got cut by the claw-hand as it whistled past him and smashed the ship’s control panel to pieces. Paladin rolled away as the beast freed it’s appendage from the panel, giving him enough time to draw his blaster and fire at the beast. To his utter amazement, the beast blocked the shot with the body of Phiiari.

Burning suns! How can ANYTHING move that fast? He wondered. Firing again and again, every shot blocked. Still firing, he moved and grabbed the lightsabre, hoping beyond hope that the weapon was charged enough to work this time…. He hit the ignition button and was rewarded with the blade coming to life, blue-green shimmering. He slashed the weapon at the beast, who again blocked with Phiiari’s body. This time, the blade cut Phiiari in half and then also cut the monster’s claw totally off. Ahhh, that will stop him.

“Youuuuu are not Jediiiiiiii. Youuuuuu can not beat meeeeee!”

Oh @#%$, it can speak Paladin thought. Now scared beyond thought he decided the best alternative was to run – and run he did. However, with a bellow, the thing leaped at his back and nearly managed to grab him. Howling, Paladin somehow managed to dodge and then tripped up on himself. He fling the sabre away to stop himself from skewing himself and then cursed – he just flung away his best chance – his only chance to escape. A heavy object landed on his legs and stayed there. He whimpered waiting the deathblow……

It didn’t come.

He chanced a look behind. The head of the beast was the object on his legs. Yelping he kicked his way free and turned to look back again.

The head was parted from the body. And a humming sabre sat on the deck behind the body. He stared in disbelief and slowly got up. Moving gingerly around the corpse, he picked up the sabre and turned it off, then went back to the @#%$pit. He averted his eyes from Phiiari’s body pieces and looked at the control board – not good. It would take him a week to fix the damage, even if he did have the parts, which he was certain he didn’t. That left him to search out Phiiari’s ship, which he was uncertain of the direction of let alone if he cold get there. And if there were more of these ….things…. he probably stood no chance, even with the sabre. Thankfully, there didn’t seem to be more at present… which of course didn’t mean there wasn’t any. He decided to get clear of the ship and lie low.

He hardly made that decision when a small warning bell in his mind went off. He instantly relit the sabre, drew his blaster and turned straight into the onrushing beast who was almost upon him. Later, when he thought about it, it was clear the thing had no idea he had the sabre and would have acted differently if it did….but it didn’t and hence ran headfirst into the beam. Momentum carried it on and the remains crashed into Paladin, smashing him back first into the control panel. The sabre finished halfway into the beast’s body and Paladin was underneath the carcass, blood and other things he didn’t want to think about dripped onto his shirt. Powering the sabre off, he some slipped the huge thing off him and wincing in pain from the bruises and also probable rib damage.

He stood painfully up and to his horror a THRID beast looked into the @#%$pit. Almost screaming in fright, Paladin relit the sabre and faced the monster. The beast stood there, looking at Paladin, looking at it’s dead fellow. It then stared at Paladin for what seemed like an eternity, as Paladin panted and gasped in outright fear

“Youuuuuu are not Jediiiiiiii”

It was all Paladin could do to nod his head. The voice chilled him to the bone, with it inhuman tones

“Only Jediiiiii can do thissssss. Youuuuu are not whattttt youuuuu seem”

“I scared @#%$less and I just wanna leave alive!” screeched back Paladin

“That youuuuuu will, thisssss time. My Mistresssss will want to knowwwww about youuuuu. We willll be backkkk for youuuuuuu”. It disappeared with inhuman speed, leaving Paladin to almost cry in relief. He swallowed, closed his eyes and titled his head upwards, trying to beat down the fright he still felt. After a moment, the felt composed enough to act. He kept the sabre on as he moved through the ship, making sure that third thing had indeed left. It had, oddly taking the body of the beast in the hallway with it. Well, what it did with it’s buddy didn’t concern Paladin, as long as the damn live one was gone.

He locked the gangplank and quickly went to his room. He had a quick shower, grabed some new clothes, a survival pack, more rations, a backpack, some weapons and more importantly, a handheld proximity detector that he hoped would pick up these things before they got close to him. Moving back to the ship exit, he used the detector…. Nothing. He cautiously opened the hatch again, looked out into the gloom. He relit the sabre and then, with caution born of extreme fear, he moved outwards. Neither his senses or the detector saw anything else, bar himself. He moved away from the ship. Nothing.

Finally panicking, he ran as fast as he could go away from the ship that now held so much horror behind him.

--

The huge warships, orbiting the planet glinted in the sunlight as they came out of the planets shadow. Lead by the ISD Raptor, they broke orbit and pointed their noses in the direction they needed to take to make the jump to Tattooine. On the bridge, Grand Admiral Lyle barked out orders for his crew ad the other ships as they continued in their pre lightspeed manouvers. The Jedi Master Rmaio stood off slighty, watching it all. A few other Jedi were there as well, Jedi Master Boricua, huge arms crossed and looking passively at the crewers and Jedi Knight Master Yogurt looking out the huge viewports of the bridge.

“Master Rmaio, we are ready now. We will commence the jump on your mark” Rmaio nodded, acknowledging Lyle’s deference. He nodded for the fleet to proceed. Lyle then nodded for Navigation to send the jump co-ordinates to the rest of the fleet. From the outside, exhausts began to glow fiercely as the huge hyperdrive began to expend the energy to move millions of tons of metal and creatures beyond the speeds of light. The ships began to gather velocity and with a bang and a flash of pseudomotion, made the jump.

From inside, the stars began to streak and curl, then with a flash, flicker into the blue swirl that denoted hyperspace.

“Well, finally back on our way again” breathed Rmaio. “this wait was trying even my patience”

“Yes, any longer and you would have run out of cat litter mon” said Boricua, referring to the dozens of cats and kittens Rmaio loved to keep with him. He had only a few with him, but they seemed to pop up everywhere in the oddest places. It was the closest Rmaio had to an oddity or a fetish and it was a constant source of jokes around the ship. Even the Sith had seemed to adopted at least one for their own. Not that Rmaio minded, as long as his favorite creatures were well looked after. He smiled at Boricua comment and moved towards the bridge exit. “Admiral Lyle, how many days to Tattooine, please?”

“Two and one half”

“Thankyou. I shall be in the Jedi quarters if you need me Admiral” Lyle gave the Jedi Master a curt bow and moved back to the running of his warship

“I haven’t heard you say much about this mission Master Yogurt. Is there something that concerns you?” asked Boricua, moving over the the small green Jedi.

“Mmmm, yes. Much I see that is not right. Concerned I am for the future, yes. Doubtful this venture will succeed. Come, come walk with me Boricua” Boricua looked down at Yogurt, puzzled by this. He felt the concern coming from Yogurt and wondered what could possibly be on his mind.

Walking out of the bridge, Boricua kept step with the much smaller creature, waiting for him to speak.

“I have felt a disturbance in the Force. Strange one this is, imprecise and difficult to locate. Been pondering it I have. Wondering and seeking it meaning, mouch time I have spent.” Boricua frowned.

“But I have not felt anything. As far as I can feel, the Force is calm”

“Yes, to the rest of the Jedi is too….. except for Master Turbogeek. He feels it too.”

“Turbogeek? You spoke to him? How is he?”

“He is improving. He will be able to walk unassisted soon and may even be able to join us again.”

“That is welcome news. I fear we will need him again.”

Yogurt continued to walk silently for a while. He sighed and then continued. “Much he told me, some I worked out, other things I have guessed. Still more the Force shows me. But now I am sure what we will be facing when we find Callista”. Boricua just nodded, no surprise showing. “We will be facing her Dark Jedi, 12 in all. One we have met, Bill Borg’aes. Turobgeek knows who 4 others are. The rest… know that not. Concerned of these, I am not. It is the other menace Callista can call on I know little about and had caused this disturbance. It has been awoken again. “

Boricua looked at Yogurt, now confused. “You are not worried by her Dark Jedi or her troops, but you are worried by an imprecise disturbance of uncertain origin? Do you at least have an idea what it could be?”

“Did you know of a dark warrior called Darth Venom?” asked Yogurt

“Ummmm, well, I heard of him. Not much I know of that one”

“I do. Fight him once I did. Escape with my life barely. He proved too strong, even for the best of the Jedi at the time. Dispaired we did at stopping him. Then…. Then he stopped his war against the Jedi. He disappeared. Warned us of a threat greater than he. Told us to gather our strength and be ready if he failed to stop it. Never more we hear of him again…. Except once. He came to me when I was on Dagobah. He was tormented by something. I thought I would have to fight him, but he did not do that. He instead spoke to me. Told me he had failed and he was never to return. Much anger in him… but feel I that he had much regret. And deep sadness. He told me to look out for a certain disturbance in the Force and he gave me a name…. He called it The Dark Fury. And he left, telling me no more. Much troubled I was of this and since then seeked out the answer to the mystery I have been doing.”

“How long ago was this Master?”

“7 years now.”

“Do you have any further clues to this Dark Fury? Any knowledge that may help us?”

“Only this – that the legends of The dark side taking shape and becoming monsters, devouring planets – it is true”

At this Boricua stared at Yogurt incredulously. “Oh come on, Yog. That’s just tales meant to scare children. You cant seriously tell me that The Dark Side can create something. We know quite well it can only seduce and destroy”

“Oh? So sure are you? The Dark is more powerful that most of us think. These beasts, they have a name. Vog’on they are called. Palapatine learned how to concentrate the dark Side enough to bring forth monsters. One of his creations were a reptile, designed to invade and subdue any world. It was given much power. They can regrenerate limbs, kill with a poisoned tail. Almost as fast as a Jedi it can move. And bigger than you”

Boricua just shook his head, dreadlocks flying. “No, no mon. this is just old wives tale. How can such a creature exist? Surely after Palpatine died, no more could have been produced and they are all dead now. And he could not have produced enough. No-one could have, even if what you say is possible.”

“explain to me then….the planet called Harrvi…. It’s population was mysteriously wiped out 8 years ago. The survivors cant tell us why and we have never found out. All who go there either disappear or come back mad. Do you insist this is made up? The records of the New Republic clearly show this. Never did I know about this either as the mystery was locked in secrecy, took me a long time to slice the required systems to find this out. Now…. Now I believe these Vog’ons are the Dark fury Venom talked about.”

“So, if you think Harrvi was destroyed by the Vog’ons, surely that would be the place to find them on. Even such creatures would fear the combined Jedi and Sith Forces we have, let alone the thousands of ground forces. I don’t understand why we still go to Tattooine”

“Because, we must be cautious. We must confirm who it is we face and also make sure Callista will not use Harrvi as a trap, a suggestion from our most noble Admiral I agree with. And there is something else. There is this thing Turbogeek told us of, the reason he was trained by Callista in the first place, to be able to use the secret crypt of power. It would appear that the Vog’on can be controlled by the one meant to open the crypt, but only him.”

“Well, that is easy. Get Turbogeek to do his stuff and bring them to heal”

Yogurt sighed. “Think so little of me that I did not think of that?” Boricua looked suddenly chagrined. “No, there is another”

“Who?”

“That is why we go to Tattooine first. We must find the trail for that other one, to make sure Callista doesn’t get to him or her first”

“Tattooine? Why there?”

“The Force Being Prophesy, Boricua. That one, Sith Or Jedi, will truly become and embody The Force. It is said the first place we will look for a sign is on Tattooine”

“Tattooine? Why does everything seem to begin there?”

“Know I not that answer. Maybe we can one there who does”

The two Jedi continued to walk down the corridors in silence

--

The bar was open and the patrons were all getting drunk. Loud and raucous shouts echoed down the halls, drinks spilled, fights broke out. It, reflected the barman would be just another night if it wasn’t for who the patrons were.

A group of Sith, with the odd Jedi thrown in as well.

In fact, this place had been taken over by the clientele and turned into “rama” Corner”, named after one of the more obnoxious Sith. The barman didn’t like that one at all. He was shifty and the way he acted when he was drunk…! Not that the barman would dare say a word. He had seen what the Sith had done for fun to another barworker when he had refused to serve Videl1999 her favorite. Ugh, it could make a man give up and become land bound – except the Sith paid well and despite the danger of angering a Sith, the crewers of the ISD they were on tended to come here as well. Maybe it was that the Sith women were all beautiful and seemed single. Personally, he could think of better ways to commit suicide. The barman was becoming quite wealthy as a result of the patronage – if he would live long enough to actually get off and spend his money.

He was at this moment looking over two Sith, glaring at each other across one of the tables. The rest of the crowd had backed away to give them both room – and maybe a chance to dodge the chairs, tables, bodies and energy tha tended to fly about when the Sith fought. The present arguers did nothing to ally the barman’s fears – one was an ugly creature, referred to as Darth Orge, the other a ghoul of some kind.

Darth Orge waved his axe at Saurron. “You take back what you said! Or Ogre smash you!”

“You will? That will be as difficult for you to do as it was for your stupid mind to figure out to say!”

The crowd was silent. Darth Ogre seemed to gape, then with a thunderous bellow, swung his axe at Saurron. The ghoul sidestepped and the axe smashed the chair he was sitting on to matchwood. Ogre reacted, using the Force to throw Saurron into the crowd. Bodies went flying and in the ensuing tangled mess, Saurron struggled to pick himself up. Ogre snarled again, then leaped. People screamed as they struggled to get away from the ghoul… who neatly rolled away and allowed Ogre to hit the floor head first. Saurron stood then attempted an elbow smash, but only collected a face full of Ogre’s fit for his trouble.

“Mo moff! You dff foff thaff!”

Saurron picked up a table top, using it as a throwing disk, flung it into Ogre’s gut. The troll-creature flew backwards and smashed into the back wall. By this time, the smarter patrons had gotten out and were watching through windows and doors, the drunker ones either just realising something was wrong, or slipping closer to an alcoholic induced coma.

A hidieous growl echoed around the bar. The Ogre smashed the table apart in rage and slowly got up. He swung his axe in menacing circles and slowly advanced on the ghoul, who was standing ready and primed to continue. The opponents continued to get closer and closer – and then to the surprise of all, broke into laughter.

The bar patrons nervously came back in, resuming drinks or conversations as the two Sith continued to laugh and then sit down to recommence drinking the wine they had been introduced to by a cripple in a servochair two nights ago.

“Hey Ogre, what is this stuff again?”

“Umm, me think he called it ‘Rocket fuel’. Me don’t think Rocket stupid enough to drink it. Me call it toxic waste”

“Hey I don’t care. Another round!”

The barman shook his head and recommenced wiping the bar off. It happened every night and he would be paid well for the damage – again hoping he lived long enough to do so.

At the other end of the bar, a lone Jedi continued to look at the bottom of his glass. Red veined eyes blinked owlishly as he sought to pour himself another drink. Vaguely succeeding to pour it, he grabbed the bottle and drank the dregs instead. He examined the bottle, then dropped it onto the floor, shattering it to a hundred pieces. The others hardly noticed, they were so caught up in their own drunken behaviour, what was one more act going to matter, except to the cleaner droids? One of them came over now and mopped the glass fragments up, careful not to chide or annoy the Jedi. One other of his number had done so and was reprogrammed with a lightsabre, a graphic lesson. With the Force, Lounge Lizard summoned another bottle, knowing that another bout of alcohol poisoning would not help his loneliness, but it would drive the ghosts and the memories away for a while. Turbogeek and Yogurt could tell him that a Jedi’s life was one of being hardship, but they didn’t seem to understand the torment he carried with him….. they seem to think that he should have been able to forgive himself. No, he had forgiven himself for the attack he had made on Shay Kaylon when he firs went Sith. What he couldn’t do was to forgive others for what they had done to his family.

The rage was still there. The anger he had sought to dissove, to reject still boiled and moved under the surface and only seemed to get more powerful as he relearned how to be a Jedi again. It frustrated him. He couldn’t understand it. But more to the point…. He welcomed the anger. It made him feel complete. Maybe Yoda, so long ago telling Luke about the Dark Side… Once you go down that path, forever it will dominate your destiny…... was right. Maybe the Dark Side had him… forever.

“Howdy!”

Lounge Lizard looked up, to see through drunken eyes the cripple that seemed to be a fixture in this place. He was an odd one this one. Unable to use his legs, the youngish person had shown from the start he could drink anyone under the table and then some. He knew some incredible tales and was in demand to recite them at odd times when the crowd was in the mood. It was odd to see one move about in a servochair, when clearly he had the money to get healed in the bacta tanks and the bionic implants. Still, it didn’t seem to worry the cripple, who also seemed to have no name, any. He was also a good listener, which at the times when you are so drunk you would tell your inner most secret to the being who was just as drunk sitting next to you, that was a good thing. He also never passed on what he had heard – like a information one way path. It got in, but never got out. Another attribute Lounge Lizard appreciated.

“Hey legless one. How goes it?” replied LL

“Ah, cant complain. No-one kicked me out the airlock yet, so I’m happy”

“You wanna drink? Celebrate you continued existence?”

“No thanks tonight Loungie. I’m sticking to Hot Chocolate tonight”

“Hot Chocolate….what is that?!?!”

“Pretty good exotic drink I discovered once on a trip. Not many places make it, but this bar makes one of the best. What you drinking? Paint thinner by the smell of it”

LL looked blearily at the bottle “Toilet Duck I think. Certainly has the kick for it”

The cripple laughed and came closer and also spoke lower, so that only LL could hear. “Drinking your life away would solve anything. I tried that once, didn’t work”

“But it sure helps”

“I’ve seen a thousand drunks at a hundred bars. They all say that. Usually, just before they shoot themselves. What you need to do my friend, is to face your problems. Whoa! Hey don’t get all angry on me, I know problems and I know what you need to do. All I think you need to do… is to follow your true path. The Jedi should never have trained you….you have more in common with those Sith beings than the up themselves Jedi.”

“But… but is true that the Dark Side leads to destruction. I know the truth in that.”

“You cant be something in your heart you know you are not. You cant serve two Masters. I know from the brief time I have talked to you you wish to be Jedi, but you also seek revenge for wrongs done long ago. Those are the two Masters striving for your soul. You must give one up and be with it truly and that means you give up being Jedi…I’m sure your Jedi leader can cope with that”

LL looked at the cripple. “You don’t know my Master. He’d wedgy me in second then take my life than see me go to the Dark Side again….and I wouldn’t stop him, for I know he would be right to do so.”

“Wedgy you? What type of damn fool for a Master do you have Jedi? A Holoclown?”

“I will not have speak badly about my Master! He is truly noble and dedicated to the Jedi cause above all else. How dare you speak lie that!”

“And he would not let you go where you need to go. I don’t believe that. Why don’t you speak to him first?”

“I can’t. He is back home”

The cripple looked hard at Lounge Lizard. “We speak to people in strange ways, Jedi. Maybe you already have”. The servochair, bearing it’s passenger and his drink moved away, making LL wonder what in the name of the Force he meant by his parting words. He moved sluggishly out of his seat to ask why he had said that, only to see that the cripple was already being spoken to.

Loudly.

By 5 drunk Black Sun operatives.

Now why would they want with a handicapped person LL wondered? He looked carefully and some of the drunken stupor washed away as the Force began to clear his head. He listened and realised it was for sport the Black Sun had accousted the cripple. They had already spilt his drink and were beginning to push him around. LL’s hand flashed to his sabre, but a small movement from the cripple caught his attention.

A small shake of the head and a very readable facial expression telling him not to interfere.

What?

He sat back down, deciding to see what happened next. If the Black Sun stopped at this level, he supposed the cripple would be okay….but if it got worse, no amount of don’t help expressions would stop him cleaning the floor those those hoods.

The cripple was being backed towards the food preparation area, deliberately thought LL. Maybe they were planning some sort of humiliation….? One the Black Sun lashed out and clouted the cripple. The red mark on his cheek was immediate and the onlookers moved to help…. But the Black Sun produced their weaponry, ugly blasters that spelt trouble for just about anyone but the Sith and Jedi.

But the Sith weren’t interested in helping. They were only sitting back and watching the show, their insane lust for pain in others showing on intent faces – That was it LL thought as another blow sent the cripple sprawling over the preparation surface… still barely in the servochair and gasping. He was angry and……

The smack of metal on flesh stopped him short it bought a gasp of surprise for everyone. One of the Black Sun was on the ground bleeding from a head cut and crying out in pain. The other four took a step back as they hadn’t seen what had caused the cut. The cripple hadn’t moved.

Bleeding thug got up and in a scream of anger came at Cripple, obviously declaring where he thought the injury came from. This time, LL saw the flash of metal and the cripple move with snake like speed and bludgeon the Black Sun agent with a frying pan. As the other 4 gaped in shock as the other cartwheeled backwards, the cripple moved forward and attacked. The howls of agony and the sickening crunch of broken bones echoed as the Black Sun agents felt the blows from the pan.

It would have been hilarious thought LL if it hadn’t been so sudden and violent.

One Black Sun was left standing. He gaped in horror at his battered mates, he turned and ran. The cripple drew an arm back and with a beautiful cast, threw the pan into the back of the head of the fleeing man, both hitting him in the back of the head and knocking him out.

The bar was totally silent as they looked at the cripple left the bar. As he did so, the cripple went past LL, with a big smile and winked. LL looked on, surprised to speechlessness and suddenly remembered something the cripple said about he needing to speak to his Master….

We speak to people in strange ways, Jedi. Maybe you already have

Oh @#%$. The cripple was Turbogeek?!?!?

Lounge Lizard charged outside, hoping to catch the cripple, but inexpicably, he had disappeared. Now stunned beyond thinking, he slumped onto the floor, just trying let his mind now process what DT had said and wondering what he was to do now.

--

As Rmaio closed the door to his study, he did a quick head count of the Jedi that were gathered for this briefing. JJWR, calm and patient was standing by the computer while CMJ finished off a computation. Obiwan2 and Reaperfett chatted quietly to each other, Boricua and Master Yogurt were not speaking. The “Girls” as everyone called them, Leia1031, AmazonBabe and Jade’s Fire seemed to be playing some sort of game. Rmaio’s kittens and cats were everywhere. The other Jedi were content to wait for their leader to speak. Garik Loran impassively stared out the viewport.

A good group, Rmaio thought to himself. Brave and true to the Jedi ideals, a group that Luke Skywalker himself could be proud of. Sworn to protect the Galaxy and the ideals of the New Republic, they formed the core of the New Jedi Order Skywalker had started 50 years ago. A long time, and even in his time, many Jedi had fallen, to replaced by more, eager to continue to shine the Jedi flame.

Hopefully, they would still be able to after this was all over.

Rmaio called for attention and got the meeting underway. “In a few hours, we will have landed on Tatooine. As you know, we hope to find clues to where we may find Callista and her army. This will not be easy, nor will it be safe – Master Yoghurt will brief you further”

The small Yoda creature waddled forward. “Much we know now. We know she comes here to pick up supplies and fresh recruits. This is the beginning of the trail we hope will help unravel the mystery of her….also, we must find the one called Turbogeek Paladin”

Most of the Jedi looked up in surprise at the familiar name.

“Ummm, Turbogeek Paladin? Is this person related to Master Turbogeek?” asked Leia1031

“We don’t know. What we do know is that the name is almost unique and with the existence of the prophesy about the Force Being, we can not discount the likelihood we should pay attention to whoever this one is. We found the name in landing records and also in the garrison archives of Tatooine. He is a smuggler based at Mos Eisley…”

“A wrectched hive of scum and villany” someone broke in

“This place can be a little rough, so watch your step” said another. This bought some laughter.

“..and Master Turbogeek agrees we must find him. Shay Kaylon and Dez Arken will be asked to stay aboard while we are at Tattooine and will be under guard”

This bought a puzzled frown from Shay Kaylon. “Why and by whom?”

“By me and because I need you to be kept safe, both of you” came a voice from the rear of the room. Shay turned to see a man sitting in a servochair. The rest of the Jedi turned as well. The man nudged a control and the chair clattered forward. He’s a cripple! thought Shay. How can he guard Dez and me, Jedi Knights?

“Don’t trust your eyes Shay, only trust what the Force tells you. Do you judge me by how I look?”

She stared in puzzlement. “Who are you?”

Rmaio smiled, while the rest of the Jedi also felt Shay’s confusion.

“Why Shay, don’t you know who I am?”

“No, I’ve never seen you before. Who are you?” What was also confusing Shay is that she could get no reading via the Force. All she got was a wall, no feelings and no effect on the Force. It was as if the person was deliberately blocking their effect on the Force

The cripple chuckled and faced Rmaio. “You were right, old friend. I’d have never thought it would be possible until you told me how”

”So, the mind defence works for you? Does it help?”

“Yes, but it is tiring to keep up. The only reason I keep it going is to stop others from knowing the pain”

Pain? thought Shay. She could feel no signs of pain form this one. She would know, she may have not been as strong in the Force as some other people, but she could read people’s emotions, except for very powerful Jedi….

Powerful Jedi?

“Turbogeek!” yelled AmazonBabe and rushed over to hug the now blushing Jedi. The rest of the Jedi moved to surround their comrade, welcoming him. Shay stood still and looked at Rmaio.

“But he looks nothing like Turbo?”

Rmaio put a hand on Shay’s shoulder. “Shay, Turbogeek has many enemies. He learned how to disguise himself and it was that disguise that we see him until now. I myself have only seen him once before as he really is…. So long ago….” Rmaio became reflective “Right here on Tatooine in fact…..”. Shay didn’t press Rmaio further, but instead chose to move away to think for a bit – Turbogeek had promised to guard her? From what?

While Shay pondered, the Jedi came back to order, but a subtle change had come across the group It was as if a hidden strength, a well of confidence was found. Well, to have one like Turbogeek back amongst them, even recovering from the blaster injury, was good news, much needed. Yogurt waddled back out in front of the group and carried on. “We also may find clues to the allies of Callista there, an evil Palpatine bought forth when he ruled. It destroyed the planet Harvii and I have reason to believe it’s influence is rising again. You may have heard of it by the name of The Dark Fury. No, nursery tale it isn’t, exist it does! It is a race of creatures from the Dark Side, one’s created in a way even I Don’t understand…but exist the Vog’on do. We ascertain it’s real strength and find ways to counter-act it…”

“Oh come on Yogurt, no-one believes Vog’ons exist! How can such a beast, living on the Dark Side possibly exist? Or even if it once did, surely they have all died in the last 50 years. Don’t you think we have more important things to do than chase after ghosts and rumours?” interrupted Figrin D’An

“Believe them I do Figrin. Concerned I am that these things are true and are powerful. Allied with one such as Callista, she would have a weapon that would be powerful and able to inflict great damage. We have all heard the stories of what happened to Harrvi, how it was destroyed and no-one can understand how. We have all heard of how no-one goes there and lives to tell, not even Jedi or Sith. This my fellow Jedi are not false tales, told to scare foolish ears. This is the signs of a great evil that we know little of and one that seems to be rising again, just as Callista appears to be making moves. This I do not believe to be a co-incidence and I am treating the two as dangers of the first order. We all should too” replied Yogurt.

The Jedi sat in silence, some in disbelief, some with concern.

The voice of Mirax, Jedi Healer broke the silence. “The Emperor was rumoured to have been able to conjure creatures from the Dark Side. These beasts could be whatever he wanted them to be, useless creations to amuse him, or monsters of the order of Vog’on. We have not been able to verify this, except by the word of Luke Skywalker, in the brief time he was bound by Palpatine in the Dark Side. He claimed to have read one of the Emperor’s books, in which he gave details of how he did it…. Fortunantly, such knowledge died with Palpatine, so that none others could use this power for their own ends. We have reason to believe that the Vog’on were bought forth in Palpatine’s time on Byss”. At that name, some of the younger Jedi cringed and even the older and more powerful Jedi looked away. Byss was the planet where the Dark Side was strongest, a place only the strongest Jedi ever dared to go.

“Be that as it may, how do we know these Vog’on really exist? And how powerful are they and how many of them will we face?” asked Siber Tiger.

“I’ve faced them once before Siber. I hardly escaped with my life, let alone the lives of two others. Even as we are, we will be hard pressed to face the numbers I knew they had. Who knows how many more are alive and ready to fight”

The other Jedi looked at Turbogeek

“You… fought Vog’on? They actually exist?” asked Figrin in disbelief

“Yes, they do. They are fast, even faster than a Jedi can be. About 8 to 9 foot tall, 300 kilos, clawed hands and a scorpion tail. You can cut off a limb and all they think of that is that it is a badge of honour. They can regenerate limbs and are a warrior race who think nothing but victory when they fight. Blasters can kill them, but more normally it just pisses them off. The only way to make sure a Vog’on stays dead is to kill it with a sabre. And you were half right Mirax… they are indeed creatures of the Dark Side…. but Palpatine never created them. He only found them and then took credit for their abilities. The Vog’on have been around for longer than we realise – normally they stay on their home planet, but when they do invade, they simply wipe out everything. Callista believed they were responsible for the killing off 10 planetary populations, down to the bug level.”

“But… why would the do that?” asked Leia1031

“Don’t know… all I know is that Harvii was destroyed in a deal between the Vog’on and Callista. Harvii was a planet Callista quietly owned and she gave it in a deal to the Vog’on. They came in and that was that”

“ONWED the planet????” explaimed Leia1031 “how is that possible?”

“Don’t ask me, I haven’t wanted to own a planet. All I can say is that when they moved in, you either moved out or were killed”

“Charming neighbours” muttered Figrin

--

“Stay a moment Yogurt”

The Jedi had finished their meeting and were moving back to their quarters, some to rest, others to think, still others to train. Master Yogurt was waddling toward the food preparation areas when Turbogeek caught up with him. Yog looked at the servochair bound Jedi, one of his closest friends amongst the Jedi. Turbogeek had dropped some of this mental defenses and Yog could feel the occasional wave of pain still wracking the Master. Yog turned to wait for Turbogeeks odd transport to catch up.

“Why Master Turbogeek, more have you to say?” asked Yogurt

“Why yes Your Green-ness, indeed I have. I noted you didn’t mention or allow questions on how I knew about the Vog’on”

“No need. They need what you knew, not how you knew”

Turbogeek seemed to relax a bit. “It’s hard Yog. I know precisely what these Vog’on are and I don’t see how we can win. It would be easier for us if we just turned home and ran for it”

“That is not the way of the Jedi Turbogeek, know you well that! Besides, I could not imagine you running from any enemy, no matter how much stronger. In fact well I know you would not. You are mighty in the Force Turbogeek, but you are reckless. Too much concerned with the here and now, not enough on the future. Well you should sit sometime and think what you should do, like coming with us. Do that I would not.”

“You would think you’re the Jedi Master and I am but the Knight” said Turbogeek

“In our own way, all the time we learn. To be a Master means you learn much and you realise how much more to learn there is. You may be one of the greatest Jedi ever, but remember that well you must, else the history you carry will come back and defeat you”

“Yes… history indeed. And that is what I wanted to talk to you about. I noted that you gave me a look when I said Shay and Dez were to stay here – they must not go to Tattooine, except under my supervision”

“And why is that Master Turbogeek? I sense a strange amount of concern for them in you”

“Yes, there is. I have reason to believe that Shay is a direct target for the Vog’on and Dez has something to do with this Force Being prophecy. I need to protect them both.”

“Something more I feel for your concern Turbogeek. Your protective instincts for Shay are more than what I would have thought normal for even one like you. Special to you is she?”

“Yes…. She is. She and her brother were the only ones I was able to save from Harvii. Shay herself I took from her dying mothers arms and I swore to protect her. I wont let anything happen to her and if it takes my death to see to that, then that I will do.”

“She has a brother? And you saved her at Harvii?”

“Yes to both. He was named by their mother Turbogeek Paladin and I have reason to believe he is the one who the Force Being prophecy is about. Turbogeek I believe is a title that existed on Harvii, that honoured those who did something great. It is not a title that can be inherited, but must be earned”

“How old was Paladin when you found him? Did you find out how he got that title? And how you know he is the Force Being told of?”

“Well….. because he was only 14 months old, that ‘s why. How someone of that age could earn a title is beyond me, but it signals something exceptional. I also sensed the boy in the Force. Not overly powerful, but unique! The effect on the Force is so strange, that it makes you wonder if your senses are in order – him and to a smaller extent Shay.”

“What you say is hard to accept Turbogeek. Nothing like this I have ever seen and I’m not sure if I want to either. If it wasn’t for the fact I knew Darth Venom, I would not believe you now”

A shadow seemed to cross Turbogeek’s face “Yes…. Darth Venom. That is a name I near wanted to hear again, but it seemed to be my destiny to always have that one walk in my shadow. Will I never be rid of that one?”

“You only keep of the past what you want to Turbo”

“Hmph if only I had less past, then it may be as easy as you say Yog. I’m afraid our history always comes back to haunt us in the end. Past deeds live on and no amount of letting go will erase that which has been done. We all have to live with past mistakes and wrongs we have done”

“Ahhhhh, but it’s how you live with them is what counts. You could allow them to consume you, to eat you and burn you. Or they can make you stronger, to rise up and be greater.”

Turbogeek seemed to nod. “Consume me once it could of…. Now, I don’t know. My road has been a hard one Yog and I think it will only get harder. I have only known war and very little peace in my life. How sometimes I wish I was born normal without these powers that have ruled my life since before I could walk”

“So sometimes we all DT, but we are what we are and nothing is going to change that.”

“Yog, I’d hit you except your right.”

Yogurt chuckled. “Yes…. Your real name… know you what that means?”

“My real name? I have had so many, I can hardly remember what is real and what is not anymore”

“Marcus Q’Dunn…. Marcus means to be of War. I think someone knew what your life was going to be when they named you”

“Well, they got that one right. I can only wish however, that I could live in peace for a change.”

“So do we all Turbo. But I fear until Callista is bought to justice and the Vog’on stopped, we will not have it.”

Turbogeek looked away into the distance “That possibly means never Yog. Callista could not control the Vog’on. She awakened something she realises not how deadly and single minded it is. So single minded it will not stop until the purpose is achived”

“And that is?”

“They will play along with Callista until they have the same thing she wants. Then they will destroy her too. At that point, there will be no restraint on them, nor will there ever be again – for they await the Force Being too Yog”. And Turbogeek added to himself…. This is getting insane. Callista wants the powers of the crypt unlocked and the Vog’on want to have those powers for themselves. And standing above all that is the prophecy – one of these days I’m going to have to sit down and work out what in the Force I want and where do I stand in all this….and maybe I’ll understand what its all about one day too.

Fat chance, he thought.

Do or do not…. There is no try……

“Huh? You spoke Yogurt?”

“No”

Puzzled, Turbogeek continued to move the servochair forward. It certainly sounded like Yogurt….

--

There are times, Bill Borg’gaes thought, I would have much rather of not been in the position of importance that I am to Callista. That way, it would not be my job to bring bad news to her…..

He entered her chambers, a dark and brooding place. The light was weedy and inconsistent and it was only by his infrared sensors that he was able to spot and go to his mistress. She was standing and looking out the window, her mechanical hand opening and closing…in impatience or in anger Borg’gaes knew not. He advanced, deciding to get this over and done with. He drew up to three paces behind her, bent down and kneeled on one knee to await her fancy – usually any time up to 2 hours, depending on her mood. Reading her body language, he judged he would be waiting a long time.

“Stand my friend. Stand and come here”

The ancient voice still had power and authority, despite it’s aged wheeze. He stood, nonplussed at this swift acknowledgement of his presence and advanced.

“What news you bring for me, my apprentice?”

Her voice seemed to lack it’s usual menace, but he wasn’t fooled. She would punish him for even standing one centimetre too close if she desired it. He came closer. “My Lady, final troop losses from the battle of Coruscant are in. We lost 68,000, either dead or captured. 12,000 are wounded and the medics are struggling to deal with them. We have been forced to raid New Republic convoys for Bacta supplies”

“Much less than I planned for… good. What else?”

“The Great Darth Milenko has failed to assassinate Turbogeek and is under Republic custody. We also have intelligence there are two fleets searching us out… the main one had the combined forces of the Black sun, Sith and Jedi, the other seems to be a larger fleet of the combined Imperial forces, lead by General Scorpion and Grand Admiral Thrawn.”

“Oh? General Scorpion comes after me? I guess I should not be surprised. He knows well what it is I seek and I suppose he chooses to stop me now….let him come. I shall pull his fangs. There is one other report you have?”

“Yes My Lady. The Sith Council has been destroyed and all are believed dead. Some reports say Itala Marzullo escaped, but that is unconfirmed. We also believe that the destruction was allowed by a large EMP device being planted near the shield generators….and by all reports it was a person dressed as a Royal Imperial Guard”. With this, Borg’gaes flinched, expecting the worst. It never came.

“So, Lord Fore Blade has come out of that hole he was in eh? Excellent! It will be my pleasure to repay him what he did to me. The loss of Darth Venom shall be repayed in full”

She almost seems cheerful Borg’gaes thought. What could possibly put her in such a mood that even news of the most hated enemy reappearing would be shrugged off. Whatever it was, he wasn’t sure he wanted to find out.

“I feel your fear Borg’gaes….unjustified it is today, but well it is good to fear me - I have had news from ones I had not expected to hear from again. The Vog’on Frengie sent me a message.”

Oh @#%$ he thought.

“Frengie tells me an unexpected visitor has arrived to Harvii. A person Venom thought he had made safe from me”

Puzzled, Borg’gaes wondered who this person was.

“The Vog’on have promised me to bring Gerogi Paladin before me within the week”

Double @#%$. In a bucket. Paladin?!?! No wonder the old hag was in a good mood, this human showing up changed everything!

“Will he be ready my Lady? Will he be able to unlock the crypt?”

“Doubtful my warrior-aide. Not for a while. But we will teach him the power of the Dark Side… or should I say you will”

“Me, my Lady?”

“You are ready Bill Borg’gaes. You have done well learning all I have told you and you are now no longer my apprentice. You are what even Darth Venom wasn’t… committed and totally with the Dark Side. You know anger, hate, malice and fear and you revel in them and I am pleased. You are now the Master”

“I thought you had to die first”

“That will happen to me soon enough. But first… first I will take some revenge for the past. For that I need a free hand, unfettered by our purpose of unlocking the powers and knowledge hidden from us. That task is now for you Bill Borg’gaes and I know you will not fail.”

“Thank you Callista. You may now leave me until you are bidden” Hardly daring to believe his fortune, Borg’gaes felt the Dark side in him swell with realised power… it was all his, the armies, the resources and the goals. He could feel the Dark Side, satisfied by this but wanting more. Far more.

Callista smirked and left. He would do well this one, better than he would imagine. And for her, she could plot her own plans in secret now.

And claim for her own what she desired when Borg’gaes failed.

--

More is coming soon!

Darth Ogre
May 25th, 2000, 11:17:16 PM
Whoohoo! I made it in the story.

:: still has to read the rest ::

JediBoricua
May 25th, 2000, 11:29:29 PM
FINALLY!!

Quick someone stick it trough my veins!!!

ahhhh...what a relief....

Darth Turbogeek
May 26th, 2000, 07:30:46 AM
TTT

Grand Adm Thrawn
May 26th, 2000, 07:56:14 PM
ttt

didnt read it all yet

DarthDarkCloak
May 26th, 2000, 08:13:44 PM
someone with way too much time i commend you on a good story however.

The Lounge Lizard
May 26th, 2000, 08:20:27 PM
Cloak, thats just one part out of ten.

Oh, and what's with the caps lock?

Atreyu
May 26th, 2000, 08:22:11 PM
Keep in mind that DT writes these stories over a fairly long period of time.

JediBoricua
May 26th, 2000, 10:06:02 PM
And if you look really well, it says part A which means there is a part B......ahhhhhhhhhhh

verse dawnstrider
May 27th, 2000, 12:02:32 AM
I'm not in the story yet!!!!!!!!!

oh well, maybe next time.

Darth Turbogeek
May 27th, 2000, 12:14:25 AM
Verse - be patient. You will be, Stay tuned for Part B :)

And so too Jedi Alpha. Anyone else before I colse off Part B?

Darth Havok
May 27th, 2000, 07:04:56 AM
Your story telling is great DT...(great job)

Calhemia Cutta
May 27th, 2000, 07:18:15 AM
Amazing. That was so cool. Did you make some of the character up, or is it like, people you know? I saw some peeps I've seen post but some are unfalmiliar... But it is such a good story. I loved it. Oh, yeah, I'm Calhemia. My friends call me Cal though.

ReaperFett
May 27th, 2000, 02:09:47 PM
Love it, even I am included!

Who knows maybe this will inspire me to finish my story/history...

Darth Lynch
May 27th, 2000, 02:54:51 PM
I know I'm nuts but I'm waiting for a night to read from the beginning to wherever the story currently is eventually. Don't want to jump ahead and ruin the surprises.

And yes I know it's damn big but if your going to enjoy an epic you gotta do it right.

Calhemia Cutta
May 27th, 2000, 03:23:05 PM
Turbo, when is the next part coming out?