PDA

View Full Version : Off the wall rules Idea (Please Read)

Lord Gue
Feb 5th, 2001, 07:34:55 PM
Ok heres a series of rules ive tryin to think up that might work to cover Ship building, repair, battle and other things, ok here goes:

Malik Tal
Feb 5th, 2001, 07:53:14 PM
No offense but I don't like this idea and here's why; if anything this is going to drop the level of poor role playing we have currently to an even worse state. It's bad enough already and what you've done is create a scientific formula for starship combat. I don't know about you but if I was flipping through say the X-Wing series and it had a bunch of mumbo jumbo like SA-SJ-ST-PT-LC-LC then I probably wouldn't read past the first dogfight. This is a free form role playing environment not a table top RPG. I like the fact that people are bringing their ideas to the table, that's what we need; input. But we also must realize that this isn't a table top RPG or a video game. This is free form role playing where we write our character's actions so that people reading can get a feeling as if they're at the battle scene. So they can see the X-Wing explode on impact of a concussion missile. Anyways that's just my opinion, perhaps the fleet role players will agree with you Gue. Thank you for bringing your ideas up for discussion though I appreciate it and mean no offense by my appraisal of the situation.

Lord Gue
Feb 5th, 2001, 07:59:23 PM
I dont know about you, but I can still imagine the ship with the formula, this way it would also cut down on at least a few OOC arguments during battles as well. Ships would always know their capabilities, Ect. I believe if given a chance and a fair amount of discusion this system could work

Malik Tal
Feb 5th, 2001, 08:27:05 PM
Possibly, but I think by doing so you'd be straying from the free form style that everyone comes here for. I could bust out my dice and core rulebook and RP just like you're describing but that's not what I come here for. I come here to write. I come here to write a post that makes the reader feel like they're out there in that cockpit or standing there on the sidelines of a ligthsaber duel. I'm not bashing you or anything like that I think certain aspects of your plan have merit but I wouldn't go as far as to start essentially forming a type of "code" that we would use for battles.

Adm Garm Bel Iblis
Feb 5th, 2001, 08:56:56 PM
Some of my earlier drafts of the fleet proposal had some stat breakdowns like you propose, too. But I threw them out. Honestly ... it's still too complicated. For a freeform environment like you got here, getting bogged down in those kind of details takes too much away from the flow.

Contrary to those who love to tear down my ideas before I even present them insist, I'm in favor of very minimal rules. This kind of stuff starts to make things too confusing. It's hard enough for me to keep track of what is being built where and how long it will take.

Lord Gue
Feb 5th, 2001, 09:19:50 PM
Hmm, ok, I do see your point, thats why it was off the wall lol

Admiral Jyener
Feb 5th, 2001, 11:41:10 PM
Even after reading your key about what stands for what, I forgot it all by the time I read your examples.. Like they said, it'll get confusing..

Jeseth Cloak
Jun 7th, 2001, 04:52:24 AM
(ttt)

Marcus Telcontar
May 27th, 2002, 11:17:07 PM
Random old thread TTT

Jedi Neo
May 27th, 2002, 11:19:18 PM
They said there was beer in here.

So I bump the topic and there is no beer.

*bump*
:(

Garrett Blade
May 28th, 2002, 02:21:31 AM
I see you have realised the truth.........

There is no beer.

Marcus Telcontar
May 28th, 2002, 05:01:43 AM
In the Matrix......

Do you still get a hangover in the morning?

ReaperFett
May 28th, 2002, 05:14:02 AM
Dont random TTT

Marcus Telcontar
May 28th, 2002, 05:20:10 AM
I could make a song out of that.

Hey dude!

Hey Dude!

Hey dude, dont random TTT!

(Guitar riff)

Gav Mortis
May 28th, 2002, 05:39:45 AM
Hey dude, don't bump it up.
Take a good thread and make it better.
Remember to leave old threads alone,
Then you can focus on all the others.

Hey dude, don't be afraid.
You were made to bump up the random threads.
The minute you gave into temptation,
Then you begin to make it better.

And everytime you're tempting fate, hey dude, refrain,
Don't carry the board upon your shoulders.
For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool
By making the board a little colder.

Don't random TTT, TTT, hey dude... (Repeat until end)

:)

Darth Turbogeek
May 28th, 2002, 05:53:41 AM
GRONK!

Gav Mortis
May 28th, 2002, 06:07:25 AM
GONK!

Marcus, it is your destiny. Join me, and we can rule the galaxy as father and gonk.

Come with me. It's the only way.

Darth Turbogeek
May 28th, 2002, 06:09:59 AM
GRONK!

Begun, this Gronk war has

I'll never join you!

Gav Mortis
May 28th, 2002, 06:20:23 AM
GONK!

Join me, and together we can destroy the Gronk!

Darth Turbogeek
May 28th, 2002, 06:22:39 AM
GRONK!

I'll never join Gonk!

Gav Mortis
May 28th, 2002, 06:39:58 AM
GONK!

So be it...Gronk!

*Electrocutes DT*

Darth Turbogeek
May 28th, 2002, 06:45:45 AM
GRONK!

:: Catches lightnig into a ball and flings it back ::

I sense the Gonk side in you.

Gav Mortis
May 28th, 2002, 07:13:17 AM
GONK!

It is obvious that this contest cannot be settled through our knowledge of the Gonk. But by our skills with a lightsaber.

ReaperFett
May 28th, 2002, 07:19:10 AM
Ric McCallum says BONK

Marcus Telcontar
May 28th, 2002, 07:26:42 AM
GRONK!

Do. Or do not. There is no Gonk

Alpha
May 28th, 2002, 07:48:45 AM
Not again...

Marcus Telcontar
May 28th, 2002, 07:50:30 AM