PDA

View Full Version : Admin Question- Plagiarism

Tsaak Vootuh
Jun 6th, 2001, 10:56:50 PM
I wanted to know if there was any rule against this? Reysa Sashara used my RP series title "Conquest" on his takeover thread. I don't think anyone else here would appreciate it if their RP series title was blatantly plagiarized. And I do not appreciate it at all.

EDIT- Thread is:
pub2.ezboard.com/fswvstit...3792.topic (http://pub2.ezboard.com/fswvstitanicstarwarsroleplayingarchive.showMessage ?topicID=3792.topic)

Ogre Mal Pannis
Jun 6th, 2001, 11:04:07 PM
A thread title being the same is not something I would consider plagiarism. If we were all to consider our various titles copyrighted, we would no longer have any left to use, especially those compromising only a single word, and one that fits with a considerable amount of the RPs of the more nefarious groups on this board such as Congest or Exploit or Destroy.

If it were however, your entire concept and the subject matter of your post then I would consider that plagiarism.

Tsaak Vootuh
Jun 6th, 2001, 11:05:26 PM
If it were however, your entire concept and the subject matter of your post then I would consider that plagiarism

This is the case. Can anything be done?

Force Master Hunter
Jun 6th, 2001, 11:06:09 PM
If you can show it is a series that you do indeed have been running under, I believe you have a case. I personally sure as hell wouldnt like it if someone used Dark Fury as would Jeseth with Requiem.

Please show that this is the case.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Jun 6th, 2001, 11:58:11 PM
Doh .. I didnt see that a thread was started here. I posted in his thread wondering what the outcome of this was. Now I shall be patient and see what you guys think

Darth Varlon
Jun 7th, 2001, 12:01:13 AM
If I remember right, Plagiarism was stealing ones work without giving proper credit. Not using similar titles o_o;

Sieken Kasstra
Jun 7th, 2001, 12:30:33 AM
Rey here,
Admins i have just used this title becuse this iis our first BWE planet take over, i thought that Conquest had to be put down to show that it was a "Conquest" as it were...if you guys rearly want me to change it i will, but i would rather keep it cuz it signafies it quite well, and it says what were doing...i rearly honestly dont see how this is braking the rules attal but to keep the peace i will go along with whatever the dmins want to do....

Edit: Adding to this

All i want to do is get to be a team you know? this was our first team RP and i wanted to see what we could do, RP is supposed to be fun not argueing over titles..

and Dal thanks for telling em this was here friend :)

Rey/Siek

Live Wire
Jun 7th, 2001, 01:59:56 AM
this is an issue I dont remember hearing. As a poster of swfans I know I've inadvertantly used a title used not long before. I wouldnt consider titles under any kind of pseudo copyright. But Id make an exception for something like dark fury cause its been around so long and its such a big thing that everyone knows about. We have a lot of generic titles around her and something like conquest or rebellion or something like that couldnt really be expected to be exclusive cause chances are someones used it before you anyway.

Avolon Bisel
Jun 7th, 2001, 02:21:24 AM
Nobody ever use "Tales of the broke assasin" without my express writen consent.

ReaperFett
Jun 7th, 2001, 05:20:23 AM
Theres a NJO book coming out called Conquest. In theory, doesnt that mean you are BOTH plagarising?

Tsaak Vootuh
Jun 7th, 2001, 11:56:30 AM
Conquest:

pub2.ezboard.com/fswvstit...3770.topic (http://pub2.ezboard.com/fswvstitanicstarwarsroleplayingarchive.showMessage ?topicID=3770.topic)

Conquest II:

pub2.ezboard.com/fswvstit...3790.topic (http://pub2.ezboard.com/fswvstitanicstarwarsroleplayingarchive.showMessage ?topicID=3790.topic)

We planned five parts in the Vong conquest series. We've only got up to two and already someone else uses it.

As for plagiarising the NJO, we are the Yuuzhan Vong at SWFans, I think we'd be entitled to use such a title. In our first two takeovers we used "Vector Prime" as the series title. I am requesting something is done about this.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Jun 7th, 2001, 12:29:50 PM
Well, if Sieken has a series of threads with Conquest .. then yes, I would side with you Tsaak. If it is only one thread, I don't seem the harm.

Back in the day, TSE has a thread called "Taste of Vengeance" For some reason, that month everyone had Vengeance somehow used it their title and it looked like everyone was copying each other. It was quite confusing :lol:

Personally dont see any harm in the one thread... but since you have a series, if Sieken then constantly uses it ... then I could see a title change.

Conquest is a rather all encompassing word that can be used for Fleet threads. Plus, he did add the other person's name in the title. It would keep the Vong and his thread separate.

ReaperFett
Jun 7th, 2001, 12:44:38 PM
unless Del Ray let you use it, you have, by definition, plagarised them. This is all Im saying

Dio Blackmoon
Jun 7th, 2001, 01:04:15 PM
Actually, I don't think it would technically be plagarism, even if it was a Vong related series. Do you think that only one book has ever been titled Conquest? I'm sure that a dozen others have been. Just because the title has been used does not mean it has been used before and/or will be used again.

PraetoriteYominCarr
Jun 7th, 2001, 02:32:00 PM
This is not an act of plagiarism, nescessarily, but Reysha and my firend Tsaak here have not been getting along. Since the two of us have so graciously decided not to play our trump card against him, he did this in spite and silent protest.

Angua Vetinari
Jun 7th, 2001, 03:53:08 PM
Conquest is a pretty... generic title. I mean, what if someone copywrited 'Open challenge to a Jedi'. It's a pretty common title, and not really too specific so really anyone could use it multiple times..

Tsaak Vootuh
Jun 7th, 2001, 05:00:36 PM
Well ok, I guess I'll start an RP thread with Requiem in it then. Or Dark Fury, because it'll only be ONE RP.

Also, Open Challenge to a Jedi is not an RP series title.

Jeseth Cloak
Jun 7th, 2001, 05:06:46 PM
Personally I have to agree with Mr.Vong here. If someone used Requiem in one of their subjects, and in my format (Requiem: Title Here) it would annoy the hell out of me, and I would kindly at first ask them to remove it, then I would get aggressive.

I don't see why he can't just change the name of his thread to be "Conquest of something" or "A Planet's Conquest..." Anything like that would work, and both parties would be happy. I'm posting because Mr.Vong (the name is hard to remember, okay?!) asked me look at this thread and honestly, I can see why he might be steamed... :/

Tsaak Vootuh
Jun 7th, 2001, 05:16:14 PM
I asked him nicely, no aggressive comments and he declined.

We've shown patience with Sieken before. Earlier this week, he or his "brother" whoever he claimed to be tried to infiltrate the Yuuzhan Vong board.

Unfortunately for him he was caught with matching IP addresses. When we asked him on AIM, he lied so much it was becoming ridiculous. Again we did not make that big a deal out of it.

His RP title was not named conquest when he first started it. Then I started Conquest II the same night. Five minutes later it was in his title. Coincidences like this don't happen. He was doing it to make us mad because we quite frankly want nothing to do with him.

ReaperFett
Jun 7th, 2001, 05:20:03 PM
now, thats different. If he wants to use the word COnquest is one thing. If he goes and changes it like that, thats just being dumb

Jeseth Cloak
Jun 7th, 2001, 05:26:47 PM
In which case I really think that he should explain himself. That's immature and childish...

Ikrak
Jun 7th, 2001, 09:01:40 PM
hey, Fett. Technically, if you wanna go into the conquest plagiarism with the book, this whole RP series and SWFans and all of this is plagiarism.

ReaperFett
Jun 7th, 2001, 09:04:20 PM
yes, it is. Whats your point?

Sieken Kasstra
Jun 7th, 2001, 09:38:12 PM
This is rey,

Again ill say it for the benifit of people that are not getting it.
i called it conquest thinking you had to put it there to show you are taking over a planet like you have to put "Closed" when its only between 2 of you, that in my books is not childish and imature...

its called a mistake, personnaly this a silly think to be argueing over thats my view..

Rey/Siek

Live Wire
Jun 8th, 2001, 01:36:32 PM
well if that was the case that was just petty and childish. Geez. The maturity level around here seems to be dropping.

Lucious Zaarin
Jun 8th, 2001, 03:20:48 PM
"This is rey,

Again ill say it for the benifit of people that are not getting it.
i called it conquest thinking you had to put it there to show you are taking over a planet like you have to put "Closed" when its only between 2 of you, that in my books is not childish and imature..."

Point one- You're not supposed to close a planetary takeover. Anyone may feel welcome to convene.

Point two- What does putting the word 'Closed' have to do with putting the word 'Conquest'? Or is this another one of your spelling apocolypses?

Point three- No. Closing a thread isn't immature. But returning a favor with a personal and subliminal thrust? That's not very grown up.

Jeseth Cloak
Jun 8th, 2001, 06:00:35 PM
Lucious, he was merely stating that he assumed when you made a conquest thread it had to include the name "Conquest" in the subject header. He did not imply that he wished to close it, he simply made an analogy. For example, when someone starts a personal battle they want to keep closed, they put "Closed" in the subject. Same deal here: He wanted to conduct a planetary take over and thought that in this case the subject had to include "Conquest." If this is the case then really it's only an honest mistake. Sorry I implied you to be childish in my above post Sieken, just ask around before you do anything next time because misunderstandings can be a lot worse than this if you're not careful.

Reysa Sashara
Jun 9th, 2001, 04:54:27 AM
thank you Jeseth :-)