PDA

View Full Version : Shipbuilding times

Sith Summoner
Jan 14th, 2001, 06:19:49 PM
Okay it seems that so far of this new set of Fleet discussions one thing has been relatively agreed on by most of the large factions. That is an increase in building times. I'm going to use a combination of the Class system proposed in the other thread a new length/day.

Class 0 and 1: stay the same at 1.8 Km/day or the fighter times. this IMO is suitable because of the relatively small size and low armament numbers

Class 2 and 3: decreases of 1.5x to 1.2 Km/day.

Class 4 and 5: decrease by 2x to 900 km/day.

Class 6: decrease by 3x to 600 Km/day.

I would also like to propose that rules stating that no ship can be constructed in more than 1 shipyard, and that these times DO NOT include the fighter compliments for each ship.

JediJabroni
Jan 14th, 2001, 06:23:06 PM
Also consider a limit on the number of ships that can be cranked out by a single shipyard. After they are built, they need to come back to drydock for maintenance and refitting on occassion.

GuardPiett
Jan 14th, 2001, 07:47:43 PM
I agree. I also believe the following:

Each group should be cut down to 3 shipyards for now. They can build more, it'll just take 40 days for us to settle down a bit.

Shipyards should be built at shipyards. It's only fair, and more realistic than the construction yards that noone uses.

We should all give up whatever planets we have. I know, unfair, unfair! But, instead of cutting down our fleets because of their being non-realistic, I think we should each start over in that area with an entire sector. However, to have that sector you must already have a planet there.

I also believe the Sessewana Sector should be declared fully neutral. No allegiances- EVER AGAIN. It can be on these worlds that the fights take place, in these skies that ships may duke it out.

JediJabroni
Jan 14th, 2001, 09:08:04 PM
A single map that we all agree on might be needed for something like this. I'm not sure what sector you refer to for this neutral zone.

Sith Summoner
Jan 14th, 2001, 09:08:29 PM
well your going to have a fight on you hands concerning planets. Personally I know that other than Monto Crudo both Bakura and Ord Matdel are held by TSE for personal reasons rather than military.

Ord is Rama's home planet and Bakura is Dale's

other than that i don't have much of a problem with the rest

GuardPiett
Jan 14th, 2001, 11:04:15 PM
JJ: Seswana is where Coruscant is. It's in the core.

Sums: I can believe that. And I know that it would be quite derogatory for some beings. However, as a whole, this would eb a good thing. Everyone would get a fresh start with multiple new planets, and you could always take those two back. In the long run, a great advantage, AND it would make our ship numbers FAR more realistic, based on the resources one would gather from here. It would be much more Star Warsy. Can you imagine some little one-world warlord having a fleet comparable with the New Republic's?

Darth Havok
Jan 14th, 2001, 11:41:53 PM
Like the idea's sums, specially that last thing you mentioned.. (on your first post)

Giving up all our planets? How would that help? Then we'd all be homeless...

Anyway, the RSO already owns an entire sector;(Tapani Sector/Deep Core) along with a few other planets scattered around in other sectors.. But overall that was the idea to take an entire sector and so on, take over anoter etc..

I agree every one/group should aquire their own sector, but that should have come naturally, they shouldn't have just started plucking planets from here and there from the start. (Not accusing anyone)

TSE would only need to take two planets to own a sector of their own, The Bright Jewel sector. And maybe with Meras, where several TSE places are located such as Ogre's Cave, Irentios.. And seeing as how it just a made up planet- that it could just be included into the Bright Jewel sector, dunno thats up to them..

Darth Viscera
Jan 15th, 2001, 09:41:43 AM
"Each group should be cut down to 3 shipyards for now. They can build more, it'll just take 40 days for us to settle down a bit."

No. I'm not going to do something which will have effectively wasted the entire last 5 months of my life.

"Shipyards should be built at shipyards. It's only fair, and more realistic than the construction yards that noone uses."

So where on earth would the first shipyard be built?

The mere idea that the groups which put more effort into this fleet RPing should have to strip themselves of their power to appease the people who do it half-assedly is bananas. You get what you pay for.

Admiral Jyener
Jan 15th, 2001, 12:47:23 PM
Everything sounds good so far, except that part about the Sesswenna sector being the only place where battles will take place. Unless I read wrong and misunderstood it, what is the point of having our battles take place in one neutral sector?

Live Wire
Jan 15th, 2001, 03:54:59 PM
*sighs*

okay I know you guys dont want to hear from me but here goes.....

I have no problem with the building times.

However (yeah you know it was coming)

Why cut down the number of shipyards. You've limited what we can build already! I say we should be able to keep our shipyards.

And as for this giving up our planets! HELL NO!!!!

We've worked hard for our territories. Doing RPGs and such. Not to mention certain systems have planets under control of different groups. For example TSO HQ is on Corellia but some of the other planets in the system are under the control of another group. So who gives up what? I think thats ridiculous. If we dont want to give up our fleets why would we want to give up our planets which we have worked harder for! Dont expect TSO to give up a damn thing!

sorry for being such a bitch but thats just ridiculous!!!

Darth Viscera
Jan 15th, 2001, 05:03:02 PM
I agree with LW.

Grand Adm Thrawn
Jan 16th, 2001, 02:45:32 PM
Limit the yards again

Get rid of that idea of 1.8km a day and use the building times per ship length (ie a 1km ship would take 5 days to make but your not limited to just building one ship)

Nothing is wrong with planets

Make people train before even being able to use fleets (not sure how to make this pass)

Either make a 70% of the current ships remain on eternal defence or scrap half the ships

do that and fleet rpg will be fine and no one will lose anything(out side of the lost yards)

Ash Longbaugh
Jan 16th, 2001, 02:49:17 PM
LW: Cheeeeeel Winston!

When people make suggestions, they are allowed to add their own opinions. I don't agree, but I would say 'I disagree', not flame

Jeseth Cloak
Jun 7th, 2001, 04:47:20 AM
(ttt)

Morgan Evanar
Jun 7th, 2001, 03:37:04 PM
I need to review the fleet rules again, but I'd say a resource based fleet system is what we need, as proposed recently, naturallly limiting ships by territory held.

Sumor Rayial
Jun 7th, 2001, 03:59:30 PM
Thought I should post since my views on this idea has changed.

The 250 m/day rule that is currently outlined in the most accepted rules (by TSO, GMA, and the NR(?)) is a better way of doing things than what I had previously suggested.

And I agree, a resource based rule of some description is needed.

Seth Darkserpent
Jun 7th, 2001, 06:10:40 PM
The Yuuzhan Vong also follow the 250m/day outline.

Lucious Zaarin
Jun 8th, 2001, 03:14:25 PM
The Yuuzhan Vogn will not, however, comply with the 2,000 meter limit. It is grossly unfair that the only exception would be a mechanical ship.

Sumor Rayial
Jun 8th, 2001, 05:01:50 PM
Not sure about the others but I don't think it's fair for the Vong to not be limited like we are. However I do think that they should follow the same type of guidelines. The main part of that being that they can delegate one ship larger than 2000 meters like the SSD is for us. And then anything else larger has to be RPed out. I don't think that is unfair and might have the secondary advantange of clearifying a lot about your ships by RPing them out.

Rei Dragonheart
Jun 8th, 2001, 10:28:54 PM
Not a total fleet expert here.

I am already for the resources along with Sums. That should be implemented.

The time changing for how long each ship takes to make is also fine as mentioned above.

I agree with Jedi Jabroni's suggestion made above about how many ships a shipyard can produce.

I also agree with Thrawn's idea of having someway to show that people are knowledged well enough in fleet issues.

Cant get rid of the planets. Like others have mentioned, those planets took time getting. Groups had to do some planning and implementing in long RP's.

I can comment on those from my knowledge so far on fleet matters.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 10th, 2001, 12:18:54 AM
Actually, in terms of limitining what a shipyard can produce by numbers is a bit silly when the resource limit is imposed.

PraetoriteYominCarr
Jun 10th, 2001, 12:08:20 PM
The Yuuzhan Vong will not comply with the two thousand meter limit. Many of our ships stretch over that mark- but they are not unfair. The amount of weapons and the like we are allowed to use is pretty limited. No Ion Cannons, turbolasers, or lasers for us. Just plasma. No shields- just dovin basals.

Many ships in the Galaxy are over 2,000 meters. Why should anyone put a damper on that?

FightingChance
Jun 10th, 2001, 12:25:06 PM
Come to think of it, How many ships are over a Kilometer? Why do you think that an Victory Class Star Destroyer was feared until the time of New Republic? Why do you think that Dreadnaughts are feared, but yet here, we can dispose of them as if they are nothing at all? It is because most ships are not capital class and have like 10 RU. Because they are defensesless. They have no weapons, no sheilds, no great sensors. Those are all on Warships. Maybe 2,000 Ships ever broke the 2,000 meter mark in a few thousand year period.

At the height of the Empire it was rumored to have 25,000 Ships. Maybe 500 were 2,000 meters long. Why do you think that in A New Hope Vader went around on an Imperator Star Destroyer instead of a SSD? Because it was a command ship on its on. A single ISD takes a year or so to build with an entire Space Station working at it. A Super Star Destroyer takes several years. Roughly 4. You must think about not just the shell of the ship but its insides. The computer gear, paint, food, lights, electricity. That is my two sense.

PraetoriteYominCarr
Jun 10th, 2001, 01:12:12 PM
LoL, ever hear of the Republic Battlestar or the Invincible-Class dreadnaught?

FightingChance
Jun 10th, 2001, 01:34:07 PM
Yes, I have. The Battle Stars where as rare as the SSDs. And the Dreadnaughts were like ISDs. But still, The amount of time it takes to build one of those things is enourmas. Besides, the battle stars and Dreads were big, but weak. I mean, a Neb B frigate could probably take out on of those things. The ships we are talking about utilize every inch of space aboard them. If I have to follow the 2,000 meter rule, then so will you. Other wise, I'll go on building SSDs. Make a whole fleet of them. Then we will see how much fun it is for you to fight against them.

PraetoriteYominCarr
Jun 10th, 2001, 01:43:05 PM
You CAN make SSDs, sunshine.

FightingChance
Jun 10th, 2001, 01:52:53 PM
I know, but, the way these talks are going, making an SSD sounds harsh and painful to your supply.

Keerrourri Sarrtarroa
Jun 10th, 2001, 01:54:36 PM
I admit, I have a 3,800 meter command galleon in my fleet. However, I have limited myself in other ways above and beyond in order to justify this. Aside from that ship, there is no ship in my forces larger than 762 meters, and only 24 of that distinction. 48 of my vessels are 140 meters, and those are without hyperdrive. That's it. I have 73 ships in all...with no plans for new construction, except to possibly build to replace destroyed vessels. At the most, I might have 100 ships some long day in the future, but I doubt it. I'm aware of the limitations placed on a smaller faction, and even the forces I have are strong for a faction that reigns over 13 planets. I never intended the Cizerack forces to be an empire-building expansionistic fleet. It is simply a fleet designed to regulate commerce, and garnish RP's occasionally. You'll never see the Cizerack attempt to conquer a planet outside of their own territory.

So, I may have taken a liberty on the length of one of my ships, but I made sure that I could balance that out with other limitations that make things more interesting.

FightingChance
Jun 10th, 2001, 01:59:00 PM
That is sort of how I run TIR. We have our ISDs. But we focus mainly on pickets and cruisers. The Victory Class Star Destroyer, 898 meters. It is a very deadly ship. Scylla Cruisers, Personal design, They are small but boast a bit of power. Designed for single deployment if need-be. I perfer more of the hit and fade operation more then conquering. TIR may expand to more then 1 planet, but that time will come in the future, not now.

PraetoriteYominCarr
Jun 10th, 2001, 02:12:36 PM
The Praetorite vong do not have the advantages you do. Most of the ships in this galaxy did not have to be researched- from SSDs to dreadnaughts to X-Wings! The Vong have had to design every last one of their ships, even those in the book. Having no transports, we had to design our own. 5,000 kilometer behemouths, carrying 87 thousand vong soldiers. If we are forced to drop these, we will have no effective transports for fourty days.

This would throw back our agenda.

FightingChance
Jun 10th, 2001, 02:20:05 PM
Sounds like a personal problem. Anyways, if there is a name for it. You could sorta give it stats. So nyah!!

PraetoriteYominCarr
Jun 10th, 2001, 02:21:52 PM
I have no idea what you just said =]

FightingChance
Jun 10th, 2001, 02:24:16 PM
that makes two of us.