PDA

View Full Version : Could a Ysalmiri kill Palpatine?

ReaperFett
Jun 12th, 2001, 07:12:49 PM
heres my question/pondering fodder. I once read that Palpatine is kept alive by the force. Ysalmiri, no force. No force, no life for Palpers. Am I right?

Garrett Blade
Jun 12th, 2001, 07:15:00 PM
<FONT SIZE="7" COLOR="red" FACE="galant"CORRECT!</FONT>

ReaperFett
Jun 12th, 2001, 07:16:30 PM
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexcellent:)

Domini Leveresk
Jun 12th, 2001, 07:26:31 PM
That doesn't necesarily mean his clones would die. They've got the body of a thirty year old. At the end of his life, Palpy was 50 years older than he had been in Ep. I. Dats old.

ReaperFett
Jun 12th, 2001, 07:31:35 PM
ah yes, but HOW COULD HE GO INTO THAT BODY??? THink about it

Jeseth Cloak
Jun 12th, 2001, 07:35:56 PM
Possibly... The thing is, a Ysalamiri wouldn't allow Palpatine to escape from his body and into the clone... but there's nothing to say that their presence would cause him to die. Maybe he would, but it would probably be gradual...

Domini Leveresk
Jun 12th, 2001, 07:38:48 PM
I was under the impression that he did not manifest himself into another body, but they gave the clones memory implants.

Seth Darkserpent
Jun 12th, 2001, 08:19:33 PM
In Dark Empire I and II they played it out as if Palpatine's clone was him reincarnated. The Palpatine in the Dark Empire comics wants to kill Luke Skywalker, but why? How would the memory of Luke killing the old palpatine be planted in the clone's mine if Palpatine was dead. Also, I highly doubt a clone would care what happened to his other. Many clones in SWs show no care toward the original copy and want to start their own life.

Nupraptor
Jun 12th, 2001, 09:41:48 PM
I'd have to agree with the points stated by Seth. Palpatine was well past the age that a human should be dead at circa RotJ. Without the Force, he'd neither have the means to stay alive, nor to "hop" into another body.

As an interesting point of fact, It's my understanding that Palpatine was not the only Dark Side user to do something of this sort: Supposedly, anyone powerful enough in the Dark Side will leave an evil miasma after they perish.

Darth Viscera
Jun 13th, 2001, 12:45:16 AM
nuts

Darth Varlon
Jun 13th, 2001, 11:32:05 AM
The only Sith/Dark Jedi that I have EVER heard of surviving in a soul form was Exar Kun, as depicted in the Jedi Academy trilogy. And he used the life forces of an entire people to do so. I hardly doubt that Palpatine could have done it with none. So chances are that there are old memories, and some engineered ones used in the clones to insure that they were as close to the origional Palpatine as could be. But that's just my take on the scenario. :)

Live Wire
Jun 13th, 2001, 11:53:17 AM
I was under the impression that palpatine without the force would be something like vader without his mask. They wouldn't die in an instant..but they both would die say in the matter of minutes as their bodies gave out.

ReaperFett
Jun 13th, 2001, 11:59:50 AM
so, hes basically Mr Burns then:)

PraetoriteYominCarr
Jun 13th, 2001, 12:04:36 PM
Smithers: We're trying to find a cure for seventeen knife wounds in the back.
Doctor: We're up to fifteen!

(cheer)

Jeseth Cloak
Jun 13th, 2001, 01:54:06 PM
Palpatine was a much more studied and experienced Dark Jedi/Sith than Exar was... it is possible that palpatine could have survived in a soul-like form, just as Kenobi, Anakin, and Yoda did...

Darth Varlon
Jun 13th, 2001, 02:57:48 PM
Ben, Anakin, and Yoda didn't have as much control as Exar did, however, Jeseth. Exar could control his creatures through the force, Ben could only talk to Luke and give advice for about three years before he couldn't even do that. Exar was around for millenia. So I wouldn't be sure on that.

Seth Darkserpent
Jun 13th, 2001, 04:37:25 PM
Oh Varlon? Then why did Ben quote: "If you fight Vader, you must do it yourself. I cannot help you this time." He was implying that he could have helped Luke in some way other then giving him advice.

Nupraptor
Jun 13th, 2001, 05:47:06 PM
I hardly doubt that Palpatine could have done it with noneGlad to see that you don't harbor many doubts about it. :)

Palpatine did it during the "Dark Empire" comics, so there's no arguing that point. Like or Hate the comics, they're a valid part of EU.
it is possible that palpatine could have survived in a soul-like form, just as Kenobi, Anakin, and Yoda did... That's not quite how they survive, from my understanding. Like I said, it's more of an Evil Miasma.

Darth Varlon
Jun 13th, 2001, 06:20:32 PM
I never read the Dark Empire comics, so I have no clue what's going on then.

Seth:

The only help Ben could ever give Luke was those of words, not actual help. Sure, words can do a lot, but we're not talking Gokou helping Gohan kill Cell here.

xx Kyiang Sunrider xx
Jun 13th, 2001, 08:47:00 PM
not 50 years older, 36:)

Force Master Hunter
Jun 14th, 2001, 12:02:22 AM
No one really knows with certainty what a Jedi spirit can / cant do. We are supposed to find out a bit more in the next movies, but from what I see a Spirit can influnce people, escape death and apparently realise the fullness of being part of the Force. Personally I disagree with the Dark Empire comics (being down ther with The Crystal Star in crappyness) but from what I can inference, Plapatine would NOT have died from being in a Ysalmiri field. In the novelisation of ROTJ, it describes The Emperor as simply being old, not actually reliant on the Force to survive and from the hints it also implies that after life of any form for Dark Siders isnt possible.

Now the comics say a Dark Sider sufficently powerful ( and is very powerful) can exist for a limited time before being consumed. The KJA trilogy (spits on that accured series) states Exar Kun needed to kill an entire race to even be allowed to survive, abeit chained to the planet. Either way sounds dodgy to me most likely the work of people who dont understand the concept of how Jedi live on after death.

But as I pointed out, that concept isnt well explained anyway

Figrin D an
Jun 14th, 2001, 12:27:24 AM
The only reason that Exar Kun survived for a several millenia in spirit form is because he used the life force of the Massassi to form a seal that would encase his soul within the temple on Yavin IV. It's not like his spirit was roaming free as part of the Force, like Kenobi or Yoda.

Kun wasn't the only one to survive in spirit form for large lenghts of time. Naga Sadow surivived sealed in the Yavin Temple for 600 years before he was released by Freedon Nadd. Following his own death, Freedon Nadd remained in spirit form for over 400 years until he was disturbed by Exar Kun, who later used the Force to destroy Nadd's spirit. Also, if memory serves, the Jedi Master Ood Bnar survived for over 4000 years in the form of a giant tree on the ancient library world of Ossus...

As far as I can tell, the clone Palpatine contained the original essence of the Emperor. He literally transfered his spirit to a series of bodies that he had cloned years earlier and stored on Byss. Also, remember that before his final death, Palpatine attempts to transfer his spirit into the body of Han and Leia's son Anakin. He fails, however, when one of the Jedi trained by Luke sacrifices himself to save Anakin, containing Palpatine's spirit within his own dying body... So, the bodies are clones of Palpatine's younger self, but it is Palpatine's actual spirit that is contained in the clones, not just info from memory transfers.