PDA

View Full Version : Roleplay idea: Starship race

Keerrourri Sarrtarroa
Jun 13th, 2001, 08:46:19 PM
I had a really fun idea pop in my head. There are all kinds of RP's out there with competition, that don't necessarily entail combat. I thought it would be something fresh and different to have an interplanetary starship race. Something held within the multi-planet Carshoulis cluster as a little Cizerack festival. It would be open to all, under one condition. You have to get "corporate sponsorship", aka...one of the groups has to pay your entry fees, etc. Might even put a logo on a ship.

I think it would be kinda cool to RP a bunch of fighters, smuggling ships, etc...hittin maximum sublight around planets, asteroid fields, etc...with maybe some televised coverage :)

There would be a big pre-race Gala party, and we'd have to think of a really cool prize to the winner :)

Anybody interested? This is way open for discussion, and I'd like your input.

Admiral Jyener
Jun 13th, 2001, 09:02:06 PM
An SSD roaring the down the track? Sounds fun..

Keerrourri Sarrtarroa
Jun 13th, 2001, 09:14:37 PM
Sure, if you wanna use a slow and non-maneuverable behemoth that gets clogged up in asteroid fields :)

Tirsa Krylana
Jun 13th, 2001, 09:29:27 PM
I think this means fighter ships and or light cargo vessels ... not everything around here has to be the big honking ships.

Admiral Jyener
Jun 13th, 2001, 09:32:43 PM
I know, just kidding.. Just a funny picture..

Jyanis Scorpion
Jun 13th, 2001, 09:46:35 PM
You'd definitely need to make some new rules for racing.

Darth Varlon
Jun 13th, 2001, 09:49:31 PM
Very much so O_o

Sanis Prent
Jun 13th, 2001, 09:54:57 PM
Yeah, I thought about that dilemma as well. I may implement the GM idea, and have somebody randomly throw out some obstacle to encounter. Not too sure...:)

ReaperFett
Jun 13th, 2001, 09:59:51 PM
Darth Dastardly and Mutley:)

Jyanis Scorpion
Jun 13th, 2001, 10:01:08 PM
That sounds like a good idea. Maybe have a neutral host or judge do it. Could be decided on how creatively they respond.

Sanis Prent
Jun 13th, 2001, 10:08:51 PM
Also "corporate sponsorship" should be a good way to filter out any possible bad RPing, as anybody participating would have to get sponsored by one of the larger groups, etc.

We have plenty of room to iron out the kinks in this, though.

ReaperFett
Jun 13th, 2001, 10:10:04 PM
and remember engine speeds. A YT-2000 is faster than most ships. Mine has a souped up engine. That means it could be any speed really:)

Sanis Prent
Jun 13th, 2001, 10:14:35 PM
That, and ship design. For instance, the Layla is a YV-666 freighter, and while not incredibly fast, her configuration enables for some interesting features to be retrofitted in :evil:

Captain Pode
Jun 13th, 2001, 10:46:08 PM
If it is before the 25th of June, I'm in, without a doubt. I have the perfect ship..it's not even built yet. It is fast and powerful..but soo small. One more thing, no fighters allowed. Cause they break 100 MGLT, which can outrun a hell of a lot of ships.. mine included.

Sanis Prent
Jun 13th, 2001, 11:07:19 PM
Well, since it's a sublight race through a planetary cluster, it will take a long time. Most fast fighters don't have the range needed, so I figured it would be a medium sized ship, like an outrigger, yacht, small freighter, etc.

Force Master Hunter
Jun 13th, 2001, 11:38:22 PM
what an interesting idea, rather appealling as my OOC hobby is motorracing.... hmmmm.

Darth Viscera
Jun 14th, 2001, 12:07:42 AM
Hmmm, I'm thinking that a modified Hammer-class Light Cruiser could break 105 MGLT with some work. A standard Carrack cruiser can do 100 MGLT at maximum sublight. Plus, if anyone tries to be uppity and get ahead of the cruiser,
*salvo salvo*, "Sir, we are once again in the lead."
:lol:

DarthHERA
Jun 14th, 2001, 01:00:34 AM
I like this idea.

I think appointed "obstical makers" is a good idea to throw random curveballs at everyone. Also some sort of elimination process might be good so as the story goes on the competition becomes more pinpointed. (maybe a points system or something?)

I also think the Prize should be something really good to draw characters that might not race for a lark, but will if something worthwhile is in the balance.

It will take a lot of organizing, but I think it could be done and a lot of fun could come from it while including a lot of players in one way or another.

Maybe create a race committee so all suggestions for rules/judging etc can be sorted and used in the best way.

Darth Viscera
Jun 14th, 2001, 01:08:07 AM
Maybe strip the cruiser of its armament and hyperdrive and hangar bays, use the extra power and storage space to put in bigger engines.

Jeseth Cloak
Jun 14th, 2001, 05:15:47 AM
I won't be participating (too many things going on in my life already, including an upcoming trip to the UK) but I'd love to read something that. Looks like it'll be loads of fun...

Captain Pode
Jun 14th, 2001, 07:26:05 AM
How about like..targets..too..and checkpoints like in them racin' games.

Darth Varlon
Jun 14th, 2001, 09:40:04 AM
The Dark Brood would do pretty well, albet having somewhat slower speeds than most fighters. If y'all check my biography, there's a link to her stats. And on the "Darth Dastardly", I think that could end up me with my Lambda shuttle :p

Evil Hobgoblin
Jun 14th, 2001, 11:42:15 AM
Did someone say... targets?

Let me go slip into my Pierce costume...

PraetoriteYominCarr
Jun 14th, 2001, 02:57:24 PM
I'd love to participate, likely as Domini or Lucious (in the Hyperspace Marauder :) ), or be an overseer/judge.

Satine Capashen
Jun 14th, 2001, 07:18:28 PM
This is gonna be fun...Now I wonder if GJO would sponsor me...My Tolaria is a Nova class cruiser, albiet a very modified and upgraded one with very different systems. That might work fairly well.

Keerrourri Sarrtarroa
Jun 16th, 2001, 09:22:10 PM
I had planned on using the checkpoint system if we went forward with it.

So...I guess if people are interested...can we get a sign-up list of those that might RP. Keep in mind, there are many parts to this RP. Not simply as racers, but maybe a sponsor of a racer (groups get to back certain racers.) Also...there will be that pre-race Gala on Carshoulis Prime, where you can rub elbows with all the big players, as well as your gracious Cizerack hosts.

Admiral Jyener
Jun 16th, 2001, 09:25:30 PM
Maybe someone could throw together a simple map of the course around the planets with checkpoints and all.

Jeseth Cloak
Jun 16th, 2001, 09:28:53 PM
Carr, that sig of yours isn't funny. It's actually very offensive.

On another note, I love that iea about the sponsors... muahaha!

Gav Mortis
Jun 16th, 2001, 09:58:55 PM
My other character, Kal-El will be taking part in this however not as a racer or sponsor but as a the mechanic of several ships-with an interesting twist.

Captain Tohmahawk
Jun 16th, 2001, 10:22:41 PM
We need a Penelope Pitstop and Peter Perfect, as well as Dick Darstardly and Muttley.

Nupraptor
Jun 16th, 2001, 10:55:33 PM
This idea had actually popped into my head before (Damn you LL! Stop reading my thoughts! :mad: ), so I'll make a suggestion, instead: How about having all the entries do the Kessel Run? I mean, that's supposed to be one of the utmost tests of speed in SW, yes?

"Fast ship? You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?"

"Should I have?"

"It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve
parsecs!"

Admiral Jyener
Jun 16th, 2001, 11:00:44 PM
Zipping past a dozen planets and their own individual obstacles would be more interesting than through a bunch of asteroids.

Nupraptor
Jun 16th, 2001, 11:23:55 PM
The Kessel Run is a bit more than "A few asteroids". If it were that simple, Spice Smuggling would be a lot more widespread than it is.

FightingChance
Jun 16th, 2001, 11:24:44 PM
I wonder, could I, being the leader of The Imperial Remnant Sponser someone, another character of mine included? If not (though I doubt you'd care), wouldn't like security be needed.. I'd gladly love to show the splendor of the Scylla Cruisers.

Admiral Jyener
Jun 16th, 2001, 11:45:21 PM
But we aren't smuggling spice, now are we..?

*Glances at FC*

Well, most of us anyways.

Keerrourri Sarrtarroa
Jun 17th, 2001, 12:19:02 AM
If your imperial remnant has over 5 members (I think thats the determining factor for a group at swfans) then it could be a sponsor.

And as for security...the Cizerack can take care of it adequately.

I'll try to draw a map to use. As for the planets...they are listed on the Cizerack board

Ralin Zoth
Jun 17th, 2001, 12:30:31 AM
OK first off... what's going to determine the speed of the ships? I mean... how will we know who's in the lead? Obviously we can't just RP... :: Ralin passes Viscera and takes first place :: or else you'd have everyone doing that... If we were in an AOL chat we could use dice but how are we going to determine speeds and ranking and what not in this particular race?

By the way I'm in... if TSE wants to sponsor me that's great too... But I don't really need one being as how Ralin's got his own ship

Keerrourri Sarrtarroa
Jun 17th, 2001, 12:39:32 AM
We're gonna have a GM kinda throwing problems into the race, and having things affect random people. So in that respect...its still up in the air as to who might win.

As for sponsorship...you still gotta get group permission. Ship or no ship. Its all about entry fee...which is gonna be very stout.

I say to make it fair, each group can sponsor at least one racer, and the major groups (GJO, TSE, TSO) can sponsor two.

Darth Viscera
Jun 17th, 2001, 03:28:21 AM
I think that the Kessel run is more of a maze than a test of speed. A parsec is a measure of distance, not a measure of time. A parsec is equivalent to 3.26 light years. So I think that Han was just bragging that he had found the shortest route through Maw. Maybe everyone else doing the Kessel run had to go around the Maw, thus making their route 18 parsecs or so.

FightingChance
Jun 17th, 2001, 10:39:36 AM
I like that idea, Sarrtarroa.

*Looks at DV, then mumbles "Some one needs a life."*

Darth Viscera
Jun 17th, 2001, 03:04:42 PM
You're one to talk, mister crazee schoolpoem guy.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Jun 17th, 2001, 07:16:05 PM
i dont think we need insults back and forth. Adding to the ideas and giving their opinions is fine.

Trying to have this idea turn into something fun. Let's keep it that way :)

Satine Capashen
Jun 17th, 2001, 07:21:53 PM
This sounds fun...:D

*runs off to try and get sponsored*

EDIT~ Satine, fix your siggy

Nupraptor
Jun 17th, 2001, 11:05:57 PM
DV: I would normally agree with you, except that he made that statement while discussing the ship's speed.

"Fast ship? You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?"

Parsecs may have a different meaning in the SW Universe. Because saying that he found a shortcut out of a maze wouldn't have convinced Luke that his ship is fast.

Ralin Zoth
Jun 18th, 2001, 12:04:04 AM
Visc like Nup said I don't think that the definition we use for parsec could fit the Star Wars definition if for nothing else than that it's out of context the way Han used it. It would be like saying I made it across America in 3800 miles. Now if I were telling you how fast my car was I wouldn't say... It's so fast I made it across the country in 2000 miles. I'd say something like I made it in two days or something like that.

Anyways when is this race gonna start? It's a pretty good idea and unlike some other good ideas that start in the OOC forum I want this one to actually come to fruition.

PraetoriteYominCarr
Jun 18th, 2001, 12:04:08 AM
Maybe it had to be fast to skirt some of the obstacles of the Kessel Run. Namely, a bunch of black holes :)

Ralin Zoth
Jun 18th, 2001, 08:35:45 PM
So who all is gonna be in the race so far? And have you come up with any rules and/or guidelines yet?

Rama Sha
Jun 26th, 2001, 07:14:46 PM
I'll enter........the Star Phoenix 3 really needs to strech her legs anyhow. Just till me what I need and I'll get it.

Keerrourri Sarrtarroa
Jun 26th, 2001, 07:47:32 PM
Well, hopefully I can get this going by the weekend...still gonna need some time to work it out. In the meantime, I will set up an announcement and signup...and each applicant will need a sponsorship from an officially-sanctioned swfans group (see the official group thread).

I will try to let you know more as I get it.

Khendon S
Jun 26th, 2001, 09:25:25 PM
I have you all beaten, the Prophet long range "recon" fighter... 300+ and an afterburner... Remove its weapons, lower its sheidling, we're talking burning up the run way.

Rama Sha
Jun 28th, 2001, 03:57:05 PM
Well Im not gonna go for TSE sponership......someone else should get that. Think I can easily get FFS Sponsership unless any of the rest of them want to race.