PDA

View Full Version : Role-Playing vs. Writing

Sorsha Kasajian
Jun 30th, 2001, 11:47:40 AM
I've noticed that on the boards, Great Roleplaying is defined by the people who are the best writers. Not very fair is it?

Khendon S
Jun 30th, 2001, 11:54:01 AM
Well, if you are a superior written, then you'll be more detailed and will more easily elaborate, so it is, in a sense, fair, and just. Those who can not do these things, make their posts scant and weak... thus, making them of lower quality.

Sorsha Kasajian
Jun 30th, 2001, 11:56:27 AM
I guess your right :(

:: crawls away ::

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Jun 30th, 2001, 12:12:48 PM
It isn't how much you write ... I wish people would quit thinking that. Yes, for those that can have more substance and detail to their post, they are a good writer .. but for Role-playing .. it is how you portray your character ... the situations you put them in and how you react to other player characters.

It is NOT all about writing.

Keerrourri Sarrtarroa
Jun 30th, 2001, 12:45:31 PM
I try to get a happy medium between the two. I'm sure I could RP just as well with 2 or 3 lines...but I also like to be able to describe things in more detail

Morgan Evanar
Jun 30th, 2001, 01:11:20 PM
Shorsha, jeebus, don't think because you don't write several paragraphs makes you a bad RPer...

I know exactly what everything looks like in my head when you do something, and thats how its supposed to be. You are a very effective writer. More effective than almost anyone else here, because you can convey what you need in less words... I forgot a writer that said something along those lines, oh well.

Khendon S
Jun 30th, 2001, 01:17:45 PM
soo... you guys like pithy posts?

something like:
Ixar's fleet comes out of hspace. They travel over to the planet and begin their bombardment. They launch rocks that are aflame towards the unsuspecting planet, destroying people and cities alike.

Instead of:Ixar’s battle hardened fleet comes out of hyperspace, the lines fading slowly away, retreating like the winter thaw. Ixar looks over to his fleet command and gives a slight nod, recognizing the efficiency of the fleet and its all mighty speed. “Prepare the fleet for bombardment of the planet’s capitals,” commands the tall, demanding figure.

The sides of the ship glow red, then molten rock shoots out of the sides, aimed on a trajectory that will cause the planet's gravity to pull them in and cause them to pass, without harm, through the planet’s atmosphere and onto the unsuspecting populace of the planet, destroying living creature and building a like.

?is that what i'm hearing?

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Jun 30th, 2001, 01:52:00 PM
Do not twist what I said around. I said Character Development and situations they are put into. Not everyone that RP's here can write long posts and put a lot of detail into them as some others. It depends on who you're writing with.

I would presume we are talking about character interaction here .. not fleets. It has already been established that kinda writing is god-mode.

Khendon S
Jun 30th, 2001, 03:07:12 PM
Heh, like wise, where did I say it had to be long to be of better quality? I said it had to be detailed and vivid... the two paragraph post was short... and vivd, and detailed... basically... bah, now i'm confused... Writting and RPing are the same things, both from the same mold, so therefore, it doesn't matter if you RP or Write, because when you RP you write, and you must explain what you are doing, thus, you are writting... so, there's no point really to this thread.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Jun 30th, 2001, 03:14:34 PM
Anyone that has a question is not pointless :)

Morgan Evanar
Jun 30th, 2001, 03:30:04 PM
THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.

A good roleplayer puts themselves in their characters shoes, and intereacts with the other players through writing.

Good roleplaying isn't good writing.

Good roleplaying is good character developement.

Now how you carry this message across is up to you.

Sorsha has this nifty nifty sig that conveys what is going on with her character partly, but you can just see what happens exactly through her short posts. If you don't need to write a lot, don't. I consider her one of the best roleplayers on the boards, although I've not had the honor of doing a thread with her, I read most of the threads she is in.

If you just write, but it doesn't have anything to really do with the character, its not roleplaying.

Role as in acting

Playing as in... playing the character.

RolePlaying.

Playing should be fun.

Khendon S
Jun 30th, 2001, 03:44:12 PM
I understand what you're getting at. But in order to RP you must write and in order to play this game you must RP, therefore, they are the same.
(okay, this is my last post in this thread, sorry, I think i'm making it more confusing.)

Force Master Hunter
Jun 30th, 2001, 07:24:16 PM
Good roleplaying - In My Opinion and in my opionion only - has got nothing with how much you write.

Or even quality of writing.

To me it is how believeable it is. I always try to place myself in the position on whoever I am writing about, imagine what they would do, what they would feel. How would they react?

Oh and also common sense and fair play.

Khendon S
Jul 1st, 2001, 02:07:40 PM
(lol, i'm posting again)
That summs up what I feel.

Live Wire
Jul 3rd, 2001, 04:10:30 AM
A good RPer doesnt have to be the best writer. From what I've seen a good RPer is one who has common sense and imagination. I've seen good storylines come from people with mediocre writing talent. Its what you do with what you have. Sure being a pulitzer prize winning writer is going to make you stand out and there is something to say for wonderfuly written posts but thats not all there is too it. Don't get me wrong I love reading well written posts that can just send chills up your spine but you can be a good writer and a bad RPer. Its a little bit of both. I usualy tell people its half imagination and half talent. But that doesnt always hold true.

Jedah Lynch
Jul 4th, 2001, 06:24:13 AM
Said this before and say it again, not here to write a bloody novel.

Role playing for some is simply the act of interacting with others for the concept of fun at its most basic aspect. Why else would anyone do it otherwise? They get a kick out of the Star Wars universe and those in it. For more then a few of us its something that we can take part of in that many of us do love and enjoy, that galaxy far far away and simply have a blast with.

Some claim to do this because they want to be writers or do something more. If thats their goal so be it. If they like to do things that way its their choice, they must like it so why not do things that way?

Overall as long as a person has fun doing what they do thats all that matters.

Darth Varlon
Jul 4th, 2001, 10:03:09 AM
I personally think the two are intermixed more than one really thinks. If you look at it, even if you're a horrable roleplayer, you're still writing :p Last I checked, this was a text-based messageboard :lol:

But honestly, they are pretty well intermixed. If you can write a two-liner post that fills everyone's mind with a vivid image of your character and what's going on with him physically, mentally, and emotionally, that's good roleplay.

ReaperFett
Jul 16th, 2001, 12:41:30 PM
I personally think that length does matter some. The better RPers DO write more, you can see that. I write short because, basically, I run out of ideas. And thats why most of my posts are as good as Keanu Reeves acting(and THATS bad!:) ). Generally longer posts give more detail.

Basically, it isnt that longer posts are ALWAYS better, but they normally are

Arya Ravenwing
Jul 17th, 2001, 01:55:38 AM
Said this before and say it again, not here to write a bloody novel. LYNCH! You just zinged me for writing a post that was too short.

"not trying hard enough" :) Well, excuuuuuse me!

Really, no hard feelings. I just think its funny that while for some people its acceptable for them to be mediocre writers, while others are expected to produce at a higher rate, and with better material.

Ahh, Mom warned me about this.
Life isn't fair. Mom was right!? O_o

:lol: :lol: ;)