PDA

View Full Version : Fleet Question: Construction Yards

Sumor Rayial
Jul 18th, 2001, 07:31:53 PM
Since they aren't used all that often I'm not all that familiar with what they can and can't produce other than no Cap ships. So figured I would ask anyway.

1) Could construction yards build 7.2 meter TIE's?

2) If so would the build times be the same as the shipyards (IE. 250 meters a day)

Also what is the rule on number of construction yards? This doesn't really have much bearing on the two above questions but more towards mine and planetary defenses that I know they can produce.

Khendon S
Jul 18th, 2001, 08:22:10 PM
I've been wondering this as well.

Also, do you have to construct them as you do a shipyard? or are they already there? etc.

Jyanis Scorpion
Jul 18th, 2001, 09:08:06 PM
I always thought that you couldn't build anything a shipyard built with a construction yard. Just whatever stayed on the ground or directly in orbit.

Evil Hobgoblin
Jul 18th, 2001, 09:12:40 PM
I am by no means the central authority on these matters, but here are my thoughts.

1) Could construction yards build 7.2 meter TIE's?

They would require extensive retooling before they could, but since combat vehicles like cloud cars and AT-AT Walkers are military equip of a similar nature, it should possible. There are physical problems to take into account, though. Remember that starfighters are just that- fighters among the stars. They are usually built with space combat in mind and tend to suffer performance-wise in an atmosphere. A construction yard not in space would have to overcome problems like the effects of gravity on the materials used.

2) If so would the build times be the same as the shipyards (IE. 250 meters a day)

There would have to be a limit on the total number produced before I would accept it, especially if construction yards were building these fighters and not regular space manufacturing plants. I realize that 250/7.2 = approx. 35 fighters a day, but that's half a wing coming from a plant not usually meant to create starfighters. I would like to see somewhere between 24 and 30 fighters coming from such a facility.

Also, do you have to construct them as you do a shipyard? or are they already there? etc.

Seems to me that they would be built using construction droids. How you obtain those droids is up to you- you could build them at a separate site, order them from someone with a C-yard already functioning, or RP their acquisition in some other fashion.

Lucious Zaarin
Jul 18th, 2001, 09:54:00 PM
I've always used the 250 m/day rule, but it's difficult. You'd thank that making not quite so complex vehicles would be much simpler and speedy.

Darth Viscera
Jul 19th, 2001, 07:15:57 AM
1) No. Construction yards can only build fighters which are smaller than 5 meters.

2) No. There are currently no build caps on construction yards. You are merely encouraged to use common sense.

There are no current rules on numbers of construction yards, but one should be enough for a group, seeing as how they take up entire planets and require the resources of maybe five or so other planets to maintain production.

Fodderfighters (craft below 5m) were introduced to swfans.net to alleviate the tedium of building negligable starfighters. Just tell your construction yards to build 60 a day and be done with it.

PraetoriteYominCarr
Jul 19th, 2001, 01:27:43 PM
60 a day? Your's do 500 :p

Darth Viscera
Jul 20th, 2001, 04:26:00 AM
That's right. It does. It also utilizes 10% of the workforce of the entire Galactic Empire and has 32 different Imperial planets feeding it resources.