PDA

View Full Version : building a new group

Seftian Spag
Jul 29th, 2001, 11:39:05 AM
(this is tempist, i dont feel like switching characters for an ooc talk)
talth and i have began to build a new group, but we still need a few people for it to be recodnised. it is a predator group, but we will make exceptions due to the limited amount of pred pics. pub86.ezboard.com/bthepredators41492 (http://pub86.ezboard.com/bthepredators41492)

Sigultus
Jul 29th, 2001, 03:14:05 PM
BTW, This is my new name (Its Talth) and yeah, I suggest that you guys try some searches and look at some links from this site: www.magma.ca/~rsarkar/predator.html (http://www.magma.ca/~rsarkar/predator.html)
Anyways, check it out if ya want :)

Sanis Prent
Jul 29th, 2001, 03:45:58 PM
Hmm...I thought the Viashino were gonna be the Preds here.

Reysa Sashara
Jul 29th, 2001, 04:56:04 PM
**hi 5's sanis**.....yup...

Bazaar Jawa
Jul 29th, 2001, 05:06:57 PM
SAYS BACK
"Maybe they didnt know that."

Jeseth Cloak
Jul 29th, 2001, 07:26:16 PM
It still makes for a somewhat unoriginal take on things... It wouldn't be all that cool if a new group started using the same pics and stuff as the Cizerack.

Reysa Sashara
Jul 29th, 2001, 07:36:57 PM
Jeseth man..i dont mind if there the same race...but there not you know..kinda ticks me off...

Jeseth Cloak
Jul 29th, 2001, 09:32:23 PM
Yeah that's what I meant. If a new group came along and started using the same pics as the Vizerack, but they weren't, that would be silly...

Cunning Hunter
Jul 30th, 2001, 10:57:45 AM
Well if you want to act like that, then wouldn't Sanis Prent have to get a new picture, since he's Sanis Prent and not Tyler Durden (spelling?). Of course not. A picture is a picture - you use it because it looks cool, mostly. If you happen to be that species - great! But it should not prevent a new Predator group from starting. I would have started one when I first arrived at SWFans but decided not to since nobody was interested in the slightest - judging by the interest in my opening roleplay.

In any case, this new group sounds interesting to say the least. I shall be visiting the board in due course!

edit~ sig is too big. 30k limit

tempistopps
Jul 30th, 2001, 11:25:22 AM
the vashino are preds? i didnt know that... i think i gotta talk to talth about that now, change what we have maybe

Sanis Prent
Jul 30th, 2001, 11:26:41 AM
Well, I don't use Tyler Durden pics exclusively. I've got a few in there as Mickey the Pikey from Snatch, and I'm scouring for a few from the Mexican. And while there is no such thing as copywright infringement when we're all more-or-less using other entertainment genres' intellectual material, there is something to be said of an unspoken courtesy. If you introduce something new into this RP, it should respect other pre-existing elements already in place. The Viashino group decided to use the Predator alien as its avatar. So, in the scope of this RP, the image of a Predator is assumed upon the Viashino. Another group that does this should be held to these assumptions. You can write it several ways, that they are a splinter Viashino faction, that they are a different religion, etc. But common courtesy is to adhere to the pre-existing foundations of the RP, and recognize the Viashino's claim. No real black & white rule there, just something that is a nice thing to do. You won't get banned if you shun the whole thing, but you're not exactly gonna be welcomed with open arms, either.

For a while, one of my older characters used Vegeta as his avatar. However, when DBZ began to intensify in popularity, others began to snatch up Vegeta images with alarming speed. Instead of confronting the issue, I simply used a hand-drawn avatar. I could have very well confronted them on the issue politely, but it was my prerogative.

It would be the same if a group came around and used the well-known Sha "maijin" symbol. Its not the intellectual property of Rama or any of the other Sha's, but at the same time, its just a simple act of courtesy, and most people are considerate enough to follow it.

So is there any real precedent to forbid the introduction of a group that uses the predator avatar, aside from the Viashino? No, not at all. We're not about putting those kinds of limitations here. If we all went to war over images...this place would blow itself apart. However, the point I am trying to stress is that its simply a good thing to pay an ounce of reverence to these pre-existing avatars. It won't be a matter of banning, but in the end....it just might be good karma on your side when you need it. :)

Pierce Tondry
Jul 30th, 2001, 11:56:43 AM
Aw, geez... not the Yautja again. If any of 'em even think about coming near me, I'll kick their easily-detectable asses.

Reysa Sashara
Jul 30th, 2001, 12:46:45 PM
Guys basicly im not worried about a splinter group of the Via starting up, cuz quite frankly i would expect it, the Via as clans, i think there is about 7 Billion - 10 billion Members in the Viashino Race in Star wars, that a problem, what ticks me off and annoys me is the fact, ive worked so hard to get our looks our weapons our ships are technologys...researched and set up, and a group comes along...diffrent race mind you looks the same, ARE the same...one group that wont take it nicely is the Original Viashino for sure, its not the Images Sanis is the genral Race that annoys me...

If you have ever seen a Human-Klingon on Star-trek gimme a shout cuz ive never seen it, so i dont think there is going to be a Viashino-Yujma is there???...again...splinter your group of your...yea thats cool...i even like the idea...more Viashino to destroy other :) .....but another race looking like us and sounding like us...and doing the things we do...is in my eyes just plain copying without your own ideas...

http://www.dseverything.f2s.com/ReysaSig.jpg

Sanis Prent
Jul 30th, 2001, 01:53:02 PM
If you have ever seen a Human-Klingon on Star-trek gimme a shout

- Worf's companion, K'Ehlyr (sp)
- Worf's son, Alexander Rozhenko
- B'Ellana Torres

And I'm sure there are others :D

But I get the gist of what you're saying. I don't see why this group can't be a Viashino clan...as thats what is rather cool about the Viashino race. To be honest, I was a little disappointed that the Via Empire didn't RP more of the clan differences into their stuff, cause having them work together would have been very interesting then.

Cunning Hunter
Jul 30th, 2001, 08:25:14 PM
I think the best way to go about it would be to assume that the Viashino and the Yautja (Predators) are the same species in all intensive purposes, but are of a different race to each other. For example - my character was born on a moon in the Alpha Centauri system, where a Yautja colony was established. He mainly hunted in Sol (Earth) as well as near the location of Archeron (LV-426). Over the years, the environmental conditions in the different areas of the Viashino and Yautja would have undoubtedly caused them to adapt and change, making them distinguishable from each other, and effectively making them a different race, but the same species - like Asian and Africans in real life.

Or if you are talking about the time and effort you've put into organising the Viashino, and then along comes a group just like it at the start, then another possibility is an astronomical event occured and merged two different galactic quadrants in time and space, causing two previously separate species to come together - miraculously looking the same and having the same technology. You might say thats a stupid idea, but its the only other one I've got so I appologise. Either way it doesn't vastly affect me, since I was officially here first (don't ask for the post it's already been deleted), but either way I don't mind ho the two groups exist as the like, so long as they actually do exist as they wish to do so.

Sanis Prent
Jul 31st, 2001, 12:11:37 AM
Eeeps! No earth in this RP!

(Shudders at thought, remembering when "Earth" was put into the NRCC)