PDA

View Full Version : Semi Open topics

Lady DeVille
Aug 3rd, 2001, 03:02:15 AM
I had a question for the admins, mods, whatever, and whoever and whenever.

If a topic is posted in the RolePlaying forum, they must be open topics. Right? Of course right. I know what's going on here, after all. Topics in the Storytelling Forum are for CLOSED/invitation ONLY threads, right? Again, I'm pretty sure I have a handle on these small facts.

Some people, however post SEMI-OPEN topics. I do this, just to be sure that people ask me before they post. I do not have a problem with people jumping into my threads, I find it promotes ingenuity and keeps storylines lively. HOWEVER, I don't want any Tom, Dick, or Harry trying to ruin my thread. Some people post in threads and ruin storylines, I've seen it happen. So I tag mine Semi-open, which means, OPen, but ask first.

Its only polite, after all.

My QUESTION is this: Why is someone moving all semi-open topics to the Storytelling forum?? My Fear's Womb RPs are clearly marked. I know the rules, I posted them correctly. Why, then, have they been moved? Did I make someone mad?! And, can they be moved back? Actually, one has already been moved back, thank you. But "Innocent Death" is actually completed, and can be archived, if it is wished. There will be more RPs that are open from me, and I don't want them to be moved as well, and I don't want First Comes Love to be moved again either. Please?

(also, can someone edit out the OOC comments in this pub2.ezboard.com/fswvstit...=315.topic (http://pub2.ezboard.com/fswvstitanicfrm13.showMessage?topicID=315.topic) thread? thanks!!! *hugs mods*)

Force Master Hunter
Aug 3rd, 2001, 03:13:12 AM
Your request is done re : OOC comments

Now as to Semi Open, or Open but inform before join-ins...

I tend to leave them, if its "Anyone can join in, just tell me first" types. These I would presume have a plot and there would be a wish for the plot to be kept to, but are open to anyone.

Closed I define as a fixed number of people only, invite only or a direct challenge to someone. And they get moved.

Jeseth Cloak
Aug 3rd, 2001, 11:01:20 AM
I'm curious... but what happens when the archives get full? Will you just keep creating more of them? I've been worried about threads disapearing so I've started archiving a lot of them so I could keep copies of anything I might want to read again later.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Aug 3rd, 2001, 11:45:55 AM
Semi-Open I took for, not open to everyone ... therefore partially closed :p I know that sounds redundant but I just woke up -_-

If that is how everyone takes Semi-Open. I have no problems with it as long as it can be opened to everyone. As you just said :) We just had two definitions running through our heads and I apologize. No one is perfect and it is a pain keeping up sometimes around here at times :lol:

Any thread that excludes a certain group or is Open to select few must be in the Storytelling Forum.

As for new archives in the future ... that's question I leave for the admins since that is their decision :p

Ogre Mal Pannis
Aug 3rd, 2001, 01:22:21 PM
A semi open topic, does not classify to me as an open one. It fits under the definition of one open by invite and or request only, therefore I feel that the Storytelling forum is the correct place for it. The description of the RP forum states: “open to all”, a semi open topic is not open to all and therefore does not belong IMO.

If you wish to announce it as semi open, a separate topic can be posted here to announce such a thing. I mean come on, what difference is there really between semi open and closed except for a simple term someone is utilizing to try and get it to be acceptable in the RP forum? Aren’t semi open and closed really still the same thing. Open only to people who have discussed the topic with the author, therefore invited to join, with permission?

Nupraptor
Aug 3rd, 2001, 02:21:38 PM
I agree: "Semi Open" means "Closed to everyone who doesn't ask me, first".

Pierce Tondry
Aug 3rd, 2001, 07:13:41 PM
Aren’t semi open and closed really still the same thing. Open only to people who have discussed the topic with the author, therefore invited to join, with permission?

No.

Closed threads typically start off with a set of characters who run through a set plot of conflict. Open or semi-open threads have a bit more randomness- characters are encouraged to throw their hats in the ring who were not in that starting batch of characters.

Checking with the author, creator, or main RPer(s) of a thread before posting should be an unspoken rule for EVERY thread (an area SWFans has had past trouble with, I might add).

tracesha
Aug 3rd, 2001, 07:17:59 PM
Actually Pierce, saying semi-open does not mean the same as closed, and closed means it begins with a set number of people would be your own opinion of the matter, while other people's opinions differ. I have gotten into a few "closed" RPs after the fact, proving they were not set in stone already, therefore, my opinion differs.

Ogre stated his opinion, and has two other staff members here saying the same thing, which leads me to believe that is a consensus among the staff.

Ogre Mal Pannis
Aug 3rd, 2001, 07:26:31 PM
Checking with the author, creator, or main RPer(s) of a thread before posting should be an unspoken rule for EVERY thread (an area SWFans has had past trouble with, I might add).

On a few levels I agree with that, while on a few others I don't. Many people come here for the spontaneity of jumping in and having what they do be a surprise and or unexpected twist. Making such a spoken rule would kill that for many people. But of course, this is only my opinion.

ReaperFett
Aug 3rd, 2001, 07:31:26 PM
Id say Pierce is right. Closed is more scripted, semi is more that you have to have a decent reason

Lady DeVille
Aug 4th, 2001, 02:10:53 AM
I would not have a problem with leaving my RPs as open, but I am afraid of having people crash into plots and totally skew everything off course. This doesn't mean that I don't enjoy having twists in a plot, or that having other people collaborating together is not enjoyable. It is.

Pierce said it correctly, closed is scripted completely, and semi is that reasonable cause is nice to have. I recall several instances when open threads were ruined by people posting for no good reason in a thread.

If I need to have my posts be closed threads and put in the storytelling forum, so be it.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Aug 6th, 2001, 08:26:30 PM
so did we decided on a definition... I saw that LD changed her title for one of her threads and I want to know what the final say is on this.

Force Master Hunter
Aug 6th, 2001, 08:45:05 PM
The question is.... does Open mean Open to WHAT and WHO, or is it just WHO?

i always say Open means it's open to anyone. If there is a condition on that, it doesnt matter, as long as it is genuinely onep to anyone. I think that just because you want to limit actions for a reason (say you have a specific purpose and dont want that meddled with), doesnt mean it should be declared to be a closed topic.

If a thread is limited to WHO, then it's closed.

If we say that a thread is only open if WHAT and WHO is free, then we're not going to have anything left in the Roleplaying forum if the letter of rule is appied. I say Open topics are defined by WHO is allowed in.

And of course, if someone wants their RP in storytelling, even if it's fully open, it stays there.

Lady DeVille
Aug 7th, 2001, 03:33:03 AM
I am not aware of a final decision.