PDA

View Full Version : Nooo!!!

Sanis Prent
Aug 30th, 2001, 05:59:50 PM
Well....my computer hath died.

50 gigabytes of stuff...gone.

Nobuo Hyde
Aug 30th, 2001, 06:01:29 PM
I know how you feel, my pc once did that. I ranted and raved about how all my crud was gone. I never got it all back, but I'm working on it. I wish you some luck in finding your old stuff.

Jedah Lynch
Aug 30th, 2001, 06:15:08 PM
Wait....you mean the president of prentsoft(?) had his comp die on him?

How ironic:p

Thats one situation never hope find myelf to be in.

Khendon S
Aug 30th, 2001, 07:41:13 PM
It can happen to anyone, HD's only last so long, then they die. To increase the life of your harddrive in the future, you, if you really need it, should acquire and apply a HD fan... one may be procured at Pricewatch.com if I am not mistaken.

Sanis Prent
Aug 30th, 2001, 07:43:19 PM
Well, mine lasted all of 11 months. :mad:

Mama Mashpatatoes
Aug 30th, 2001, 07:45:29 PM
only? What a horrible HD, though it was large, right now I'm stuck with a 30 GB.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 30th, 2001, 10:28:10 PM
It can happen to anyone, HD's only last so long, then they die. To increase the life of your harddrive in the future, you, if you really need it, should acquire and apply a HD fan... one may be procured at Pricewatch.com if I am not mistaken.

1) Sanis had the bad fortune to be running Winblows 98.

2) Most of my hardrives have had at least a five year life, most Maxtors.... I'm a bit confused as to your statement.

3) Pricewatch is merely a search engine that lists online resellers, not a reseller itself.

Jedi Knight Leia Solo
Aug 30th, 2001, 10:43:23 PM
5 years and your harddrive dies?! Wonderful has another 2 1/2 yrs. :(

Zorin Hexes
Aug 30th, 2001, 11:00:37 PM
Hard drives might have an average life of 5 years, but if it's not abused with constant installations, reformatings, and tons of fragmenting, it can last a lot longer. I have a working hard drive off an old pre-386 computer that's only around 50mb, and it works. But due to accidents, and other things, I'm pretty sure that not all drives will live to see their 7th year with reliable performance.

Khendon S
Aug 30th, 2001, 11:25:23 PM
1) Windows 98 is easier on the system than Windows ME, I know harddrives that have lasted several years on 98, all versions of windows suck, but what more do we have to work with? So what's your point?

2)I'm a bit confused by 'your statement', I said they only last so long... need I say more? They only last for an amount of time, as with all machinery, they will eventually die, that is why they are only guaranteed for a year, but you may get an extended contract.

3) I said procure, to 'get'... this may have not been the best word to use, I am sorry... but who really gives if it's pricewatch.com that you're buying it from or another company as long as you get a deal?

I see no need for you to quote myself and pick through my data and edit it for your own opinions, I stated my own, my own is my own, no one else’s... so please, in the future, do not bother in quoting anything I write, it's pointless, it only means you misinterpreted something, or I have made a mistake, like every other human.

(EDIT: It also makes me rather cranky and annoyed, as you can see.)
(EDIT2: Besides, who really cares about my opinion when it comes to computers? I'm 15.)

Mortaniuss
Aug 30th, 2001, 11:32:07 PM
WinME is a pile of steaming $#%@. Win2k Pro, however, does not suck.

And if he wants to quote you, then that's his prerogative. Many people like to use the quote feature so as to make it crystal clear exactly which part of another person's post they're responding to. Moreover, what he stated was not "opinions", but solid facts.

If you get "cranky and annoyed" when someone quotes you on something you've said, perhaps you should choose your words more carefully.

Khendon S
Aug 30th, 2001, 11:37:06 PM
Yes, he did state facts, that are true, I am sorry, another mistake on my part. I was merely noting, indirectly, how he stated nothing that added to advancement of the thread, but merely tried to negate all of my statements, which, makes me feel very offended, as I believe it would any other person. (Do you accept that or do I have to continue writing, i'm kinda busy.)

(EDIT: Okay, now you're getting annoying, maybe it's just me, but I think I do choose my words carfully, maybe not as carefully as some, but as perfectly as is possible for myself. If you don't like it, tough, I'm stating my own crap, deal with it. Now, before I start slandering or something I will regret, let it go, why are you clinging? I’m not in the mood to be nice.)

Reysa Sashara
Aug 30th, 2001, 11:56:25 PM
least you guys dont get bloody hacked every 2 secs, all my Norton Anti-virus thing says every 30 mins is:

Sub-section netbus trojan horse tried to accsess your computer the following IP number has been blocked for 30 minutes: blah blah...then 30 mins later it bloody happends again

Sanis Prent
Aug 31st, 2001, 01:12:34 AM
bah, don't fret it. Its not like its doing any damage to your comp

Gitane Blesse
Aug 31st, 2001, 05:53:54 AM
We have two comps, for some reason. One is connected to the scanner and I save all of my scanned drawings on it. A few months ago, this comp died, but we were able to get the files back. However, for some reason, shortly after this one was back up, the other one died.. :( I lost a crapload of drawings that I had been really proud of.

Rock
Aug 31st, 2001, 07:04:58 AM
50 GB! My hd only has 10 GB! I think I am getting an extra 10 GB soon though.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 31st, 2001, 09:11:27 AM
Ye can only buy 15 gigabyte drives. Anything smaller has stop being manufactured (unless you have a laptop).

You can buy a slow 40 gig drive for about a hundred dollars.

Khendon S
Aug 31st, 2001, 06:13:18 PM
For about a hundred you could get a 7,200 RPM 20.4 GIG Seagate Barracuda, I didn't know they stopped making the smaller than 15gig HDs?

Sanis Prent
Aug 31st, 2001, 06:14:06 PM
well, I get a replacement 50 gig for free :)

Yay for parts and service warranty till 2003

Gitane Blesse
Aug 31st, 2001, 08:19:57 PM
:lol: I just remembered a quote from Bill Gates in 1981... "640K ought to be enough for anybody."

Morgan Evanar
Aug 31st, 2001, 08:36:09 PM
Seagate not so good for IDE. You can get maxtors and IBM 7200s 30gigs for the same price as a 5400 40 gig... 100 dollars, plus shipping.

Lady Vader
Sep 1st, 2001, 12:57:41 AM
I've had the same comp now for four years and nothing on it has gone except for recently (had to replace CD ROM... gave meself a new DVD ROM :D ). And I'm still running Win 95 (so far, nothing has befallen my comp because of it).

I actually did replace the original HD in my comp, but only because it was so tiny (4GB). Put in a new 15GB (all I could afford for right now), and then gonna put my 4GB back in to give myself two HD to work from.

But, I'm still saving up for a new top-o-de-line comp. It's about time I got a new one anyhoo.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 1st, 2001, 01:01:31 AM
If you are willing to toy a bit, I can link you to a place and you could build it yourself, saving mucho mula in the proccess.

Lady Vader
Sep 1st, 2001, 01:07:16 AM
Thanks Morgan, that's very nice of you. But I think I'll stick to my Sony VAIO machines. I like em and they haven't died on me yet. (Have had the desktop for 4 years and it's still going strong, and have had the laptop for 3 years and it's still going strong as well.) My next machine will be a Sony VAIO as well.

Figrin D an
Sep 1st, 2001, 01:46:49 AM
4 years on a VAIO? Wow, that's impressive... I've heard some horror stories about those things. I guess you've been a fortunate one, though. Can't blame ya for that... :)

It's amazing how cheap computer hardware is now.... you can build a screaming system for around $1000... and just 2 years ago I spent more than double that on my system...
It's been a good machine though (Dell), so I can't complain... I've never had any major problems. I just need to add another hard drive and maybe a CD-burner.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 1st, 2001, 03:36:45 AM
I'd never buy a pre-built computer unless I needed more than 10 of them, save a bundle of cash in the proccess or I needed a laptop.

Yeah, I've heard similiar Figrin, in regards to VAIOs. Dells are very overprice for the hardware you get.

Another problem with most storebought machines is the lack of flexiblity they offer. Sneezing on the case sometimes viloates the warranty, and god forbid if your old videocard isn't cutting it anymore.

Cause *gasp!* They use cheaper, motherboard integrated componets, which means *gasp!* you need a new motherboard/soundcard/videocard when you simply want to upgrade your videocard or soundcard.

Just a general note of warning.

Khendon S
Sep 1st, 2001, 04:24:40 PM
I agree w/ Morgan on that... but if I were going to get a laptop I know a guy who builds them, I wouldn't get some dinky one designed by Compaq or something.