PDA

View Full Version : Ogre, quick question

ReaperFett
Sep 6th, 2001, 10:11:33 PM
Why do you think Gue's thread was innapropriate? I can't see what would warrant a closing

Ogre Mal Pannis
Sep 6th, 2001, 10:12:28 PM
Polls are not allowed here. They can be done elsewhere.

ReaperFett
Sep 6th, 2001, 10:14:46 PM
okay. Never actually knew that :)

Couldn't it be considered more of an opinions thread anyway?

Ogre Mal Pannis
Sep 6th, 2001, 10:21:52 PM
This is a game we are all in for fun and such polls contribute to the ideal of it being a competition. Polls were abolished before I even became a mod and I stand by the practice.

Opinion polls were also abolished way back when we had them everywhere, though sharing thoughts its not forbidden. I do not like the idea of hearing that one person is better than another. It breeds OOC resentment. Everyone has their own methods and should only strive to do what they feel they can, not try to strive to please everyone.

ReaperFett
Sep 6th, 2001, 10:26:39 PM
Okay, IM(only person so you can ignore it, I mean afterall, everyone else does :) )O, threads like that can be great. Rather than the "What do you think of my character?" threads, you get the "These are the best for me, and here is why". You learn from what they say. Adapt and survive.

Maybe its just Im desperate for tips to make my writing good. Just ignore me, bad patch

Ogre Mal Pannis
Sep 6th, 2001, 10:28:40 PM
Getting tips is one thing, but asking who is the greatest is something entirely different.

ReaperFett
Sep 7th, 2001, 06:06:50 AM
Well, I ask for tips, and I get the standard ones, that never really help. But, with these, you could get more helpful tips. For example, say if roleplayer X said "Roleplayer Y is the best. This is because he spends more time on the small details, but makes sure that they are always relevent. Y also always makes sure he is in a RP where he can write strongly, hence never undermining his character". Now, by reading this, I didn't get a tip from the best, I was told WHY he was the best

Nupraptor
Sep 7th, 2001, 06:30:17 AM
But it also creates an unnecessary hierarchy which is prone to breed animosity. We're all here to cooperate and collaborate, not classify one person as better than another.

ReaperFett
Sep 7th, 2001, 06:39:29 AM
but doesn't that happen anyway? all sides have ranks. Doesn't that do the same?

Nupraptor
Sep 7th, 2001, 07:45:50 AM
The ranks each group assigns to members classify the characters, not the players behind the characters. There is a world of difference.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Sep 7th, 2001, 12:46:19 PM
Asking for advice and what you think about a person's character is one thing. You could be a great RPer or a not so good Rper and getting a general overview of what you are doing good and not so good is cool.

Opinions and polls about the BEST are a subjective view based on everyone's perceptions of what constitutes the best. There are a lot of people that are new and old that are great at what they do and sometimes, the sheer volume of threads also hides people that are players here from the spotlight that are amazing. Then of course, there are players here that try very hard to tell stories but in some people's eyes wouldn't be considered the best.

I tend to agree that such polls and such can lead to people to not alienating people without meaning to. Plus, it can start out innocent, but the flame potential is quite high in those sorts of threads.

It all boils down to asking this question IMO

Are you having fun?

If you answer yes ... then that is all that matters here while you play. Not whether you are the best or not.

And about rank, Nup is right. It is a system to designate a character place through time playing the character and what they have accomplished with said character. Hell, some characters don't even have rank now days :p