PDA

View Full Version : Elian Gonzalez

Jedieb
Apr 21st, 2000, 10:56:33 AM
So what do you think? Stay or go home?

Jedi Master Kyle
Apr 21st, 2000, 05:44:38 PM
i couldn't care less. has anyone even asked him what he wants to do? or is everyone else making his choices for him?
if he stays, i hope the media leaves him alone and doesn't trail him everywhere he goes. picture seeing "elian's 1st day in school in america" on 20/20. i think no matter the outcome i smell a movie of the week coming up.

mez7
Apr 22nd, 2000, 12:15:14 AM
movies already in the works,
i heard from the producers, that they plan a 4 hour 2-part tv movie about his journey.

what i got to say about that is "4 HOURS!!!!!!!"
whos going to watch a 4 hour movie about this kid.

i for one dont care what they do to the kid, just make a decision soon.

bronto
Apr 22nd, 2000, 02:52:34 AM
He should go back with his dad. He already lost one parent, why take him away from the one he has left?

Those who disagree should try to put themselves in the place of the parent. If Elian was your son wouldn't you want him back with you?

Bromine
Apr 22nd, 2000, 02:57:07 AM
Yes, I agree. I never understood the reasons why he shouldn't go back to his dad.

Jedieb
Apr 22nd, 2000, 02:54:33 PM
Well, the question is moot now and the streets of Miami are filled with fire and protesters. This has been an issue my family has been consumed with since November because we're Cuban. I grew up in those streets that are now filled with buring tires and angry protesters. This whole situation is one that I've been turning around in my head for months now.

As a Cuban, born in the country of New Jersey ;) , I can understand and simpathize with the Cuban-American community. You have to understand, the cold war may have ended for most Americans with the fall of the Berlin Wall and the break up of the Soviet Union but the Cuban exiles are still fighting it. Some of them have been fighting it for over 40 years now. Their hatred of Castro is so pervasive, and well earned I might add, that they can't see the issue rationally. They don't understand the possible consequences of this custody battle on their future political capital and U.S. Cuban relations.

Here's a scenario that may help you understand the Cuban mind set. The year is 1943. A young German woman escapes Nazi Germany with her only child. After a perilous journey through war torn Europe she manages to find passage to the U.S. During the journey she loses her life but her child safely arrives at Ellis Island. Do you send him back to Nazi Germany where his father and Hitler are waiting for him? This is exactly how many Cubans see the entire Elian issue. It's no less than a battle against evil. The evil being Castro himself.

Now, as a father, I strongly sympathise with Elian's father. If it were my son I'd want him back and I'd want him back yesterday. I wouldn't give a damn what my wife's U.S. relatives thought or cared about. He's my son and he belongs with me. My wife shouldn't have taken him on a boat to follow her boyfriend in the first place. And asking what my 6-year old son wants is nothing more than an unnecessary courtesy. I'm his father and I decide where he lives and with who he lives.

Would he have a better life here in the U.S.? Of course he would. He'd have more opportunities and more freedoms here in the U.S. But does that mean that we can snatch children from any poor country in the world and seperate them from their parents just because we have malls and Disney World and they don't? Can people from Park Avenue go down to the Bowery and pull kids out of their projects because they can provide better clothes and toys for the kid? The bottom line is, his father is alive and wants him back. He belongs with his father. And until someone can prove there's been abuse or neglect no one has the right to keep a son from his father. If someone had my 2-year old son and wouldn't let me see him I'd be ready to kill someone.

And now we come to this morining's raid. What choice did the government had? They could have waited until the family court decided but the Miami relatives have given no sign that they would respect any court's decision. Reno and Clinton were going to lose either way. This was probably going to happen eventually anyway. It the Atlanta court had decided the boy should be with his father the Miami relatives still would not have let the boy go and they would have tried to appeal yet again. The only other option Reno had would have been to wait out the court's decision and then move in, but Clinton told her earlier in the week he wanted the issue resolved and the boy and father reunited.

And of course there's THE PICTURE. Suddenly everyone is shocked and appalled. Many of the same Americans that were calling for Elian to go back to his father are appalled at the government's use of force. Well how the hell did they think it was going to go down!? Did they think Federal officials were going to show up with a Coke and a smile? Bottom line, the raid was successful. And you know why? Because the boy was removed WITHOUT ANY LOSS OF LIFE! No civilians were hurt or killed and no law enforcement officials were hurt or killed. The kid will get over it. He's already laughing and smiling for cameras with his father and little brother.

Well I'm done for now. Now I'll probably call my parent's see if things are okay in their area. I won't repeat any of the things I've said here. If I do they'll probably disown me.
MTFBWY

Bromine
Apr 22nd, 2000, 10:36:30 PM
Very good post. I think that basically sums it up.:)

Brad Kan Obi So Cool
Apr 23rd, 2000, 12:43:30 AM
ditto

sparksterboy
Apr 23rd, 2000, 06:56:42 AM
I think its kinda funny how soo many people have nothing better to do them stay out side his house protesting, they were warned they had to surrender him and now they are acting surprised that they had to use Force, (no pun intended)
Cuba threated America with military action (laughs) if they didnt return him to his Cuban Family. They done the right thing by sending him back. I think his American Reletives that he stayed with have tried to manipulate him and have succeded. oh well.......tommorrow's another school day.....

<p.s.....I doubt he would have much Freedom in the US.......not with the media and Publicity that are the Fleas of America>