PDA

View Full Version : My opinion of Hasbro

Yoda Lives
Sep 21st, 1999, 12:11:59 PM
I listen to and read tons of complaints about "pegwarmers," especially ones in the Episode 1 line, i.e. Ric Olie, Palpatine, Valorum, Padme. I know that tons of product was sold in May, and I heard many stories that TPM toys are (were) one of the hottest-selling items this summer. So why the &^%$ is there SO MUCH TPM stuff still on the shelf!? I think I know a reason. Hasbro probably thought it would be O.K. to overload the product so that "everybody" could find what they needed. Pshaw, yeah right. Who here has found a Darth Maul yet, or better yet, a Destroyer Droid? How about Mace Windu, Yoda, R2-D2, Queen Amidala (Coruscant), the Naboo Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, the accessory packs, the new Jabba... the list goes on and on. I'm sure many of you have found some of these things, but how hard was it? How long did it take for you to find one of these? Obviously, Hasbro's strategy failed. By "overstocking," it dissuaded stores from ordering MORE stock, because they couldn't sell off the VAST SURPLUS of toys people either already had, or didn't want. In some cases, REALLY didn't want, like Valorum - I see as many of that figure as I do Ric Olie - and Valorum was packed in cases the same as the others, PLUS it was a shorter run! Another idea I had was that Hasbro might have assumed that they could have sold 5 years worth of toys this summer... that's what it looks like to me, in a way. They figured SW is so popular, kids and adults alike would hog everything. But I, personally, don't know any young children. No one in my family is between ages 6-13. I've seen children dancing up and down the SW aisles, literally, but I don't know how popular SW is with children, these days... Hasbro's "basic" plan, at least, backfired - they packed too many of the unpopular characters, and not enough of the popular ones. Sound familiar? But hey, we can't razz them about this - I mean, NO ONE could have guessed how wildly popular Maul would have turned out to be. Common sense could have played larger in this, i.e. more variety in Coll. 2 cases at May 3, thus lowering the number of slow-moving figures in Coll. 2, pack more battle droids, pack more "lightsaber-wielding" characters per case, etc. But, as with any new line, no one can predict the selling points. Bromine brought up a good point. If Hasbro would enable stores to order a case of ONE of each figure, then this pegwarmer problem could be avoided. The cases should be 12-packs (not a problem, the classic line holds this many) and that wouldn't be TOO much overstock (after all, I'm sure at least 12 people in town would want ANY figure, given enough time...). When customers would request certain figures at the customer service desk when they couldn't find the one(s) they wanted, they could order another case (or two) to meet demand (believe me, they CAN do this - I used to work at retail). Hasbro would no longer have to worry about telling stores to ship back the pegwarmers, Hasbro would ALWAYS have a steady stream of product (and would hopefully produce enough of each at the warehouse to prevent shortages), and whatever was "surplus" at the warehouse could be distributed to needy children, on NICE card backs for once, and the continuous rotation of new stock to replace old, discontinued figures would enable all this to happen without mishap (hopefully). The only disadvantage to this concept would be to those who rely on short-packing to drive up the price/value of certain figures. This method would eliminate those one-per- and two-per-case rarities (and thus causing the virtual EXTINCTION of the "scalpers" that run rampant today), but for those who wish to make their collection an "investment" (like me), their profits will depend on the popularity (and unpopularity) of each figure. Well gang, what would your input be on this?

Jedi2016
Sep 21st, 1999, 03:32:32 PM
I agee with Bromine's analysis. They order 20 cases, so they can have 40 Darth Maul figures, and they all dissapear, only now they have 40 Valorums or Jar-Jars, and nobody's buying them. Then they order more cases for more Mauls, and the other ones STILL don't sell. I find myself going to Toys R Us and looking at the huge rack of TPM toys, and there's none that I don't already have. And about 50 or 60 Jar Jars and Palpatines. And a very few of the .02 battle droids. Oh, well. I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for the new ones when they hit.

Bromine
Sep 21st, 1999, 05:11:10 PM
I think Hasbro is trying to fix the problems it's been having. After all, can you imagine what would happen if they had short-packed Maul? Yikes! :) The ordering cases of one figure isn't my idea, btw. I read on another page that other countries do it all the time. Hopefully Hasbro will let ALL countries do it. As for the poor, out of work scalpers that will result from this; well, I'll shed a tear for them. Guess they'll have to go out and make an HONEST buck! j/k :)

Bromine
Sep 22nd, 1999, 03:07:21 PM
Just read over at www.rebelscum.com that solid cases of Tatooine Maul, Yoda, and other figures are appearing in the U.S.! I guess someone at Hasbro actually listened. :)

revginslinger
Sep 22nd, 1999, 10:42:03 PM
a friend of mine works in the backroom of target...he arranges the backstock so he has cases hidding....he told me that the destroyer droids came 3 to a case(or some really pathetic number). so you can see why they're hard to find. i've got two thnx to him. also the darth maul tatooine scene i've got and the other two...my theory...wal-mart gets them one week... then target..then kmart and so on..in rotation...not in that order though.