PDA

View Full Version : Store Displays/posters

Bromine
Aug 27th, 1999, 04:59:56 AM
I don't really want to sell/trade, but I was just curious about what ppl managed to get as far as promotional posters, banners, etc., from Pizza Hut, ToysRUs, etc. My brother knows the manager of a KFC, and got that giant poster of Darth Maul with the "Defeat the Dark Side" game rules on it, as well as one of those Maul ties only the Tri-Con employees aare supposed to have. I have the chance to get some of the small banners you see by the TPM shoe displays, but Wal-Mart has this idea that the should auction off all their SW promotional stuff to the highest bidder, which means some idiot will pay, like, $500 a poster and buy them all, thinking he'll be able to sell them for millions in a few years. What about the rest of you?

Mara Jade1
Aug 27th, 1999, 09:52:17 AM
An Albertsons store down the street from where I live was giving away their promotional SW displays for FREE. I didn't get one though, I don't even shop there.

Bromine
Aug 27th, 1999, 03:47:06 PM
Too bad. :( I was taking some cardboard to the compactor at Wal-Mart (Where I work) and there was a pile of Pepsi promo displays with Jar-Jar on them just sitting on top! I couldn't swipe them, though...too big. Has anyone ever got those Tri-Con posters that stick to the window? I heard somewhere that they can't be removed intact, have to be scrubbed off...

bloke
Aug 27th, 1999, 10:10:21 PM
these are ACTUAL stickers, they have to tear them off, then soap the windows clean of the sticky residue, HTH

Bromine
Aug 28th, 1999, 06:13:13 AM
Darn...

Froghopper
Aug 28th, 1999, 09:54:23 PM
Maybe slightly off topic- An associate at Walmart said that the promotional items would be given away to employees with via a drawing. Wow, I thought employees, their relatives, friends, pets, and etc. were ineligible for such drawings. Is this true?

Bromine
Aug 29th, 1999, 02:02:03 AM
I think it depends on which Wal-Mart. Like I said, my store is auctioning them off, trying to turn a quick buck instead of just being nice...But I digress. I think that because it's not really an official raffle, employees would be eligible. The big publicity raffles are the ones that they make sure employees can't win.

Froghopper
Aug 29th, 1999, 01:22:19 PM
Thanks, I have no problem with employees being included in a raffle but, the way the it sounded was that non-employees would be excluded. For a raffle like this I'd hope the customers would be able to have a chance at something like Naboo Fighter and those posters over the aisle. I agree it could be up to each store but, for something this popular does anyone know what the corporate regs are? BTW, Good thread Bromine:)

Bromine
Aug 30th, 1999, 12:08:21 AM
Thanx! :) The way I understand it, promotional stuff is often sent back to the distributor (In this case, Hasbro, Pepsi, Lucasfilm, or whatever) Sometimes the distributor doesn't want it back, so stores just toss them out. That's where it "officially" ends. Technically, Wal-Mart, ToysRUs, etc., could just destroy all the banners. What happens is that an employee will say, "Hey, can I have that big Barbie sign?" or "Has anyone heard what's happening to the MarioWorld display?" or whatever. Enter TPM. EVERYONE wants this stuff, so the store managers can't just give it to the first person who asks. However, they have no obligation to give it to anyone, so if they choose to give it to the employees, it's just a fringe benefit of the job. Crummy as it sounds, NO ONE is really supposed to have those things, since they're not really for sale. Anyway, hope that helps a little. Basically, the only way to get this stuff is to ask at small stores, find a friend who's a toy manager or something, or just hope your local toy store is feeling generous and gives them away.

jjwr
Aug 30th, 1999, 11:08:35 AM
I wasn't able to get any promotional stuff, there were plenty of things I would have liked, but I don't know anyone who work sat any of the stores so that kidna put me out of the running. I'd like that big Naboo fighter they've got hanging at Wal-Mart though :)

Bromine
Aug 30th, 1999, 06:22:40 PM
How about all that stuff at ToysRUs? MAN, I would have worked for free just to get one of those shelf posters! :)

Homer Doh
Sep 2nd, 1999, 10:22:40 PM
Does anyone remember those enormous Darth vader displays for the special edition video release that talked when people would walk by? I remember seeing those in walmart and thinking they were unatainable, a year later I saw one at a yard sale and bought it for only $15.

Mirax H
Sep 3rd, 1999, 12:20:07 AM
I got 3 displays for free from my Hastings and my Star Wars room is packed. I just had to load them in my car. Made 3 trips and the car was packed each time with pieces. Got the Applause display that had bookmarks, danglers, keychains. In great condition. Got the display of the music CD, with the cut outs of Maul and Amidala on top and Obi, Qui, and Maul fighting around it. Also got the book display that had Maul and Amidala around the top and the little white lights that look like stars. That one was a pain to haul and put back together but was well worth it:)

Bromine
Sep 3rd, 1999, 04:50:49 AM
Where do you live, Mirax H? Utopia? Heaven? :) Where *I* live (Vancouver) I'd have to sell my soul in order to get that kind of stuff, I mean, a friend of mine works at Wal-Mart and he saw them preparing to put the signs up MONTHS ago, and he asked if he could have one after. He was told they were all spoken for. EVERY LAST THING! -By the way, I'm REAAAL sorry you had to lug all that great, FREE SW stuff home...boo, hoo, poor Mirax, it's so sad... I'm kidding, Mirax, hope I didn't offend you with the last comment here, I'm just jealous :)

Mirax H
Sep 3rd, 1999, 05:16:00 PM
Not at all Bromine, lol. I'm in a small town in Northwest Arizona. And the guy was gonna throw it all away. Can you belive that? He could have made some $, I was fully prepared to pay for them.

Yoda Lives
Sep 3rd, 1999, 06:42:54 PM
Lessee, about 2 months ago, a Wal*Mart I shop at had a Chinese Raffle. They were giving away the 4 hanging banners, four nice framed posters, and a Jar Jar/ Amidala/ Darth Maul 3-sided display. It was something like $1 for 10 entries, so (naturally) I entered about $10 worth. Luckily, it was a short raffle and few people entered, so I lucked out and was able to get a Qui-Gon and Amidala banner, an Anakin poster, and the 3-sided sign. When I was at Pizza Hut a while ago, I swiped the 2 dinner table flippy-things in the flippy-thing that have a lot of in-house items you can get, like the different pizzas etc. These flippy-things are the laminated card-stock things with the kids' meal toys and the cup toppers on them. They still have the flippy-things there, I think. My mother-in-law works at an Ames (department store) in the shoe dept. and there is a large TPM poster/collage hanging from the ceiling in her department. I forget how much longer it has to stay there (I guess at least until after the back-to-school sale) but she said I could have it. I think this bummed me out more than anything: a new Giant (grocery store) opened in my hometown, and they had a HUGE tower of Pepsi cubes, and on top was a life-size Yoda. Man, what a beautiful statue: cloth robe, rooted hair, cane glass eyes... SO COOL. They had a drawing for the Yoda, and R2-D2 cooler, and a Sony TV-VCR. My town only has about 10,000 people living there, and I swear there must've been AT LEAST that many entries. I entered about 100 entries, but unfortunately didn't win anything. And there is another grocery store chain (ACME) that was giving away life-size Darth Maul statues, one per store. I haven't heard anything yet, so I guess I didn't win that either. :(

ViceroySimmons
Sep 21st, 1999, 03:34:16 PM
Last night my friend and I were in Walmart and there was an entire shopping cart full of unopened SW displays (Large cardboard Mauls, Queens, and Quigon, plus 5 or six large cardboard banners) They were not even out of the plastic yet. Being the brave people we are, we just casually wheeled the shopping cart right past the cash registers and out the door into my truck. It pays to be bold. We even walked into an employee pushing in carts from the parking lot. She stepped aside and said "Go ahead" All too easy. Does anyone else know of any ways to obtain these promotional items? I know some may say to ask for them, but that never works for me. I've resorted to the dark side, and I love it!

Bromine
Sep 21st, 1999, 05:06:45 PM
Well, all I can say is that the manager or another employee of that Wal-Mart undoubtedly got fired over that.

Homer Doh
Sep 25th, 1999, 07:49:04 PM
Jeez I posted a month ago and the thread is still here. anyways, this guy won the life size yoda at a local walmart and declined to sell it, even though he wasnt a star wars fan (to my knowledge), and after having it a short while his house burned down along with the yoda! Ouch!

Bromine
Sep 26th, 1999, 10:14:08 PM
Yeesh, talk about a tough break...I can just picture ppl crowded around his burne\ing home, and the Fire Cheif announces, "Everyone got out alive!" and then the crowd yells, "Yeah, but what about the Yoda? Did you save the Yoda, man?" :)

Master Jidai Geki
Nov 17th, 1999, 01:30:56 AM
I've got (4) of the huge banner displays from Wal-Mart. Each one is 29" x 18". I have Queen Amidala, Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Darth Maul. I'm looking for Qui-Gon, Watto, Jar-Jar, and Battle Droid too...but I don't even know if those exist in the 29x18 size. I'm going to frame the ones I got though. Does anyone have those huge Naboo Fighters or Droid Fighters that hang from the ceilings at Toy's R Us? Those are awesome!

SPY007
Jan 4th, 2000, 11:40:11 PM
I have to give away: Frito Lay Qui Gon standee, Frito Lay Amidalla standee, four large Frito card board posters, two large battle stickers for tile floor, 3PO w/ Jawas book display, special edition video display topper, Frito special edition dispaly piece, Walmart win falcon poster and more. ALL to give away, but you must come get it in central Minnesota

Darth Contagious
Jan 17th, 2000, 05:34:39 AM
Hey Viceroy, often times you just have to ask the people and they'll give the stuff to ya. The other day I asked an employee at The Home Depot for this box they had filled with Star Wars wrapping paper that had a big Episode I logo smathered on the front. I asked, they gave. Now it's holding quite a few things and helping bring a little more order to my otherwise messy room

jhj316
Jan 20th, 2000, 12:56:39 AM
my first post here. the only promotional item i got was the big anakin/sebubla/podracers pepsi banner you would see hanging at your local gas station. its eight feet long and 3 feet wide. one was put up at a citgo station about a 1/4 mile away from my house. it was up for about 3 days when i decided it belonged in my garage. i learned recently from another local star wars fan that some of his friends were planning to "liberate" the same banner as well. you snooze, you lose!

DL 44 Blaster
Jan 21st, 2000, 11:00:41 PM
I'm in the midst of a deal that's gonna land the Millenium Falcon "EXTRORDINAIRE" toysrus display from 1996 in my house!It's the 5ft one like the 7ft Naboo fighter seen last year in toysrus.I'm getting it for 300.00 plus shipping.Doesn't sound like a bad deal huh?This should make the ultimate model display since it was built to scale with the small figures and other spacecraft.

DL 44 Blaster
Jan 21st, 2000, 11:06:05 PM
I'm in the midst of a deal thats gonna land the Millenium Falcon "EXTRORDIAIRE" from 1996 in my house.The guy is selling it to me for 300.00 plus shipping.It's got cracks on the sides and radar but all parts are intact and it's otherwise perfect.This should make the ultimate display since it was built to scale with the small figures

Bromine
Jan 22nd, 2000, 04:27:00 AM
Man, $300 is an awesome deal! If you're going to hang it from the ceiling, the cracks probably won't be noticeable anyway. (And if you find out you don't have enough room for it, I'll be happy to take it off your hands, hehe.:) )

Jedieb
Jan 22nd, 2000, 07:42:15 PM
The only promotional item I have is the 6-foot standee that was used for the video promotion a few years back. The catch the originals one last time promotion that was issued just before the special editions came out. It's right outside my study

Jedi Master Kyle
Jan 25th, 2000, 08:30:47 PM
I've got stuff from the THX and SE editions of star wars. i've got the video store standee of the THX release (looks exactly like the cover of ANH) i've also got a pin that theater workers wore during the run of the SE's. i think that's it.

mazdajinn
Feb 16th, 2000, 04:36:09 AM
I got a life sized R2-D2 Pepsi cooler and a 7 ft. Naboo Starfighter. I got both of them off Ebay. I'm starting to save for one of those Life sized Yodas.

ASITHLORD
Feb 20th, 2000, 04:18:47 AM
WELL I MIGHT AS WELL KICK IN HERE TOO. IN THE STORE WHERE I WORK I WAS ABLE TO SNAG A HEADER OFF A PORTAL POSTER DISPLAY ITS PRETTY NICE COLLAGE OF ALL THE CHARECTERS.THEN OFCOURSE THE PEPSI MAUL THAT I GOT OF EBAY CAN'T FORGET HIM.