PDA

View Full Version : How do feel about wasting all your time?

Jedieb
Feb 2nd, 2000, 03:15:28 PM
Many of us SW collectors enjoy collecting a wide variety of items; posters, patches, cards, replicas, and of course toys. Well some misguided SW fans would have us believe that the toy portion of our collections are simply pieces of plastic and not "real" SW collectibles. Anyone care to comment on that?

jjwr
Feb 2nd, 2000, 04:19:02 PM
I've never actually heard that, but its total bull. I'm not sure what they would feel are real SW collectibles but the toys have always been a huge part of SW collecting and always will be.

Bromine
Feb 2nd, 2000, 07:44:46 PM
Here's my definition of "collectible". Admittedly, it's rather generalised: Collectible: something that can be collected in a manner that is enjoyable and involving, and having a sufficient group of collectors involved to facilitate trading. Originally, I was just going to say, "Anything that can be collected," but that's pretty much anything. In the above definition, I'm thinking of "collectible" in the sense of describing a product. (Example: technically, someone could collect lint from their dryer and create a lint collection, but I don't think we'd define lint as collectible.) I guess whether toys are collectible or not comes down to how ppl define "collectible".

mez7
Feb 3rd, 2000, 01:23:37 AM
theres a guy in my town that collects lint, altough it is lint formed into pictures of people, hes even been on letterman to show them off. so even lint can be a collectable

Bromine
Feb 3rd, 2000, 05:38:49 AM
Whoops, beg your pardon! My apologies for calling lint not collectible. :) I've just got to ask, exactly how does he form it into pictures of people? :)

Jedieb
Feb 3rd, 2000, 10:46:06 AM
Only Letterman would be brilliant enough to recognize lint is a collectible. :)

bronto
Feb 3rd, 2000, 04:57:07 PM
What?!!! The Hasbro/Kenner toys are my favorite part of collecting Star Wars items.

mez7
Feb 5th, 2000, 09:18:32 PM
the way this guy forms the pics si by putting a stencil over the lint tray on his dryer, when he leaves it in for a couple load, and out comes the pic. hes done some pretty good ones OJ during the trial, princes di, clinton. they look pretty good

Spadix From HPC
Feb 27th, 2000, 05:50:24 PM
I know this is an old threed, but a bad way to waste your money is Beenie Babies. Lol, I forced my Parents to spend countless dolars on the things... I've got a good colection too. Lol, but 5800$+ for Penut the Royal Blue Elephant?? I don't think so...

Jedi Master Kyle
Feb 27th, 2000, 08:39:43 PM
i doubt that other forms of collectibles (at least not as many) would have sprouted up if not for the success of the toys in the first place.