PDA

View Full Version : What do you look for when you buy vintage toys?

Jedieb
Feb 27th, 2000, 04:33:24 PM
When I buy vintage toys I look for certain things.
Figures
All I want is loose and complete. If I had an unlimited budget then I'd be into card backs and such.
Ships
When I buy a ship I want the original packaging as well. It usually means 10%-20% more but if you settle for C-7 to C-9 then you can sometimes catch a break.
Playsets
Same as the ships. The old packaging just looks neater than the new stuff. But that's just this fossil's opinion.
Misc
When I pick up glasses or old fast food tie ins I'm usually just looking for the item itself. The promotional material that went along with would be cool but I just don't have the space for it.

What about you guys?(or girls)

Jedi Master Kyle
Feb 27th, 2000, 08:36:51 PM
i'm too poor to afford the ships and playsets (yet), but i look for figures that are loose, complete or not. when i get more cash, i'll be into getting everything on cards and in the packaging etc...

mez7
Feb 28th, 2000, 01:09:27 AM
doesnt matter what condition.

price is the only thing im concerned with.
my mom came home from a garage sale one day and said she got me a toy. didnt really excite me. what do i need a toy for, i open the bag and its an original tattoine luke, almost perfect, little discoloration, no sabre, but other wise great.

best part.

it cost her 10 cents, yes thats right 10 measly cents.
canadian too :):):)

jjwr
Feb 28th, 2000, 10:09:36 AM
I don't buy much vintage stuff but pretty much anything I buy I want it complete. As far as the vehicles go the packaging isn't necessary but it definetly looks cool. I bought a AT-AT a few years ago and it came with a ESB box and I thought it was really cool. But as long as its all there and in good working order than I'm happy.

buffjedi
Mar 2nd, 2000, 01:29:02 AM
I really think you should just go for what you like.If you see it, like it, have the funds buy it.I think if you start worring about does it have this or that it takes the fun out of it ( to me anyway),collecting star wars used to be stressful to me ,because i was so worried about them getting opened,and there goes the value(and I was just a kid,I had forsight!)Now it is just plain fun My collection is pretty large.I have just about two of everything that you could get in the area i lived in and than some . I always tried to get two of everything ( one to play with one to put up>but now if I buy something ill open it and play with it just like a kid .Have fun collecting dont make it a chore.youll enjoy it much more(.No matter how big of a collector you are)

jjwr
Mar 2nd, 2000, 10:29:34 AM
I just like things to be complete, if I get something I'd like it to be all there. Those toys are plentiful enough that if you want something complete then it shouldn't be a big deal to find a complete one out there for a reasonable price. And I think the searching is the fun part.